Author Topic: What Do You Do/Are You Studying to Do for a Living?  (Read 9264 times)

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Do You Do/Are You Studying to Do for a Living?
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
I flip burgers and yell at waitresses.

I'm going to Culinary School so I can do this, while I'm doing this I'm also working at a working at one of those restaurant type places where I wash dishes and, peel the potatoes and such, and I even make some of the food every once in a while.

It's good that you're getting a taste of the business while in school.  I've seen way too many people spend buttloads of cash on a culinary degree thinking they're gonna be the next Thomas Keller just because they have Grandma's untouchable lasagna recipe, only to realize it's really hard fucking work.  For example, when I finish typing this, I will go to work, clock in at 9am, bust out a party of 50 while cooking 100+ lunch covers.  Then I will finish V-Day prep, open at 5:30pm, bust out 300 dinners.  Then after I will spend about an hour doing orders, prep list, and administrative crap, and hopefully leave by 11:00pm.   Good luck man, it's a great job, but you have to earn the fun. :lonestar:

Oh, and welcome to DTF.  :)

Thank You lonestar, working and  being in school at the same time doing the same thing shows me that it is hard work, but it's work I love. Luckily I've had great Chef Instructors in both high school and College to help and teach me. Also thank you for the luck and the welcome.  ;D

Also this scares the ever loving shit out of me any time you post it Barry. IT'S LIKE YOUR LOOKING INTO MY SOUL.  :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
I work as a field engineer for a firm that designs telecommunications sites for many of the major carriers. Most of my work is in the Great New York City area including the four real boroughs, Staten Island, parts of Jersey and Westchester/Rockland counties. I deal with a lot of shitty rooftops.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
I work in a deli full time, while trying to save up to get my pilots licenses. Was doing pretty good in college but I just couldn't find a major that really satisfied me enough to commit to, so I decided to invest in something fun instead.  ;D

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
I am currently a waitress at my Nanna's pub,

Considering I want to go into acting, that's probably the only work I'll ever get into. Either that, or sucking director cock.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

Considering I want to go into acting, that's probably the only work I'll ever get into. Either that, or sucking director cock.

Ya' know...I've always wanted to direct.  :biggrin: I don't think that's an actual perk is it?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »
I have a masterīs degree in classical percussion and iīm spending my days wondering what the :censored am i suppose to do with that?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
I flip burgers and yell at waitresses.

I'm going to Culinary School so I can do this, while I'm doing this I'm also working at a working at one of those restaurant type places where I wash dishes and, peel the potatoes and such, and I even make some of the food every once in a while.

Nice!  :tup

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »

Ya' know...I've always wanted to direct.  :biggrin: I don't think that's an actual perk is it?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me :P
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »
Right now, I'm in high school. I plan on going to college in NYC to study philosophy and then I plan on getting a PhD and being a modern day philosopher/professor. That's the plan now. I know, I'm young, blah blah blah. I really think that is what is going to happen.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
What can you do with a philosophy degree?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
I have a masterīs degree in classical percussion and iīm spending my days wondering what the :censored am i suppose to do with that?

That's why I probably don't intend to major in music, despite enjoying it. 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »

That's why I probably don't intend to major in music, despite enjoying it.

If you enjoy it do it. You'll regret it otherwise. At least that's what I believe. That's also why I chose to study in sound/music even if I never get a permanent job. At least I'll do something I like.

Offline j

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »

Go to law school if you're academically qualified.  Other than that, I'm not sure what people with philosophy degrees do.

-J

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
Research scientist at a pharmaceutical company.  I do analytical chemistry and project management in R&D.

BS in chemistry, PhD in analytical chemistry.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »
It's good that you're getting a taste of the business while in school.  I've seen way too many people spend buttloads of cash on a culinary degree thinking they're gonna be the next Thomas Keller just because they have Grandma's untouchable lasagna recipe, only to realize it's really hard fucking work.  For example, when I finish typing this, I will go to work, clock in at 9am, bust out a party of 50 while cooking 100+ lunch covers.  Then I will finish V-Day prep, open at 5:30pm, bust out 300 dinners.  Then after I will spend about an hour doing orders, prep list, and administrative crap, and hopefully leave by 11:00pm.   Good luck man, it's a great job, but you have to earn the fun. :lonestar:
People usually laugh (you may too) when they hear I want to do culinary school only to open a restaurant dealing with burgers, BBQ, smoking meats, and sandwiches. A real cool homestyle restaurant with all homemade stuff. I could go on about my vision
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »

Audition for a big name orchestra (preferably one that hasn't folded yet :( ) and try to get in one of those.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »

PhD and teach...that's the plan.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »

PhD and teach...that's the plan.

Teach what? Highschool? College? Grad School?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
Oh...well...college and grad school is the plan. I'm considering the University of Chicago...we'll be neighbors!! :caffeine:

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
I graduated with a Bachelor of Music degree in 2010, and have worked, unfortunately, as a bank cashier since. It pays the bills despite being wholly unsatisfying (you wouldn't believe the amount of targets even someone at the bottom rung of the ladder in a bank is lumbered with to keep their jobs). I've applied to do a Masters in Social Work starting this September, though I'm gonna need to refinance a personal loan to be able to afford the living costs, and keep working 2.5 days a week alongside studying. I want to work in the field of drug and alcohol addiction.

I spent 6 months last year volunteering in the rehabilitation wing of a male prison, facilitating the running of the 12-step program and assessing clients for their suitability, plus the general admin shiz, and it made me more certain that that's the area I wanna go into. I'm not hell bent on getting into a prison-based job anymore as it's an incredibly tough environment for a young female but I do want to work in some kind of counselling role. I took a bit of a hiatus to pursue the night class I'm doing at the moment, which is just a basic counselling skills one, I won't be a qualified counsellor by the end but I will be qualified for the majority of 'counselling' jobs within organisations that deal with addiction. If I can pull off this Masters financially and emotionally (I'm chronically sick) then I'll be a qualified Social Worker with lots of doors opened to me.

I never wanted to do anything in Music, I just studied it as I loved it and I'm good at it, I don't regret it one bit. I've also been a volunteer Samaritan (www.samaritans.org) for the past four years which is amazing, hard work and emotionally tough but just the most rewarding thing I've ever done, it's a true privilege to be able to be there for desparate/suicidal people when they need somebody with them the most.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
How can you volunteer to be a descendant of ancient Israeli tribes?
;)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
People usually laugh (you may too) when they hear I want to do culinary school only to open a restaurant dealing with burgers, BBQ, smoking meats, and sandwiches. A real cool homestyle restaurant with all homemade stuff. I could go on about my vision

Not at all man, that's a great vision.  What you learn in culnary school can only enhance the quality of homestyle cuisine, plus you learn a lot about the numbers side of cooking, of which  there is a lot of.  I love homestyle shit, my buddy and I do competition BBQ, it is so much fun, and the food out of his smoker is godlike.  Much of my stuff is directly derived from American, mostly southern, classics, which I enhance via french methods, but it has it's roots here.  So many chefs are so cumdrunk off of Food Network and Top Chef and shit like that that good mom and pop joints are scarce, especially where I live, and those places always have the best grub.  You go to fine dining for the experience, you go to the local cafe to fucking eat!!!

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
I'm not a chef at all (just learned enough to cook decently since I've lived alone a few years), but Food Network and Cooking Channel seem to have quite a lot of shows devoted to homestyle recipes and diners that do that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:23 AM »
I'm not a chef at all (just learned enough to cook decently since I've lived alone a few years), but Food Network and Cooking Channel seem to have quite a lot of shows devoted to homestyle recipes and diners that do that.

True, I may have worded it wrong, especially about Food Network.  They are cumdrunk when it comes to Top Chef though.  I too am guilty of this one, judging my own abilities based on what I see on the show instead of just cooking what I love.  We even do pools for the damn show(I lost a while back when the hot brunette with the tattoos got kicked off).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2012, 06:14:55 AM »

Audition for a big name orchestra (preferably one that hasn't folded yet :( ) and try to get in one of those.

Been there, done that! :)

No , seriously iīm working as a freelancing percussionist in Sweden and have done my share of auditions but iīm kind of in a moment in my life where iīm wondering if itīs more a fantasy than reality.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
I graduated with a Bachelor of Music degree in 2010, and have worked, unfortunately, as a bank cashier since. It pays the bills despite being wholly unsatisfying (you wouldn't believe the amount of targets even someone at the bottom rung of the ladder in a bank is lumbered with to keep their jobs). I've applied to do a Masters in Social Work starting this September, though I'm gonna need to refinance a personal loan to be able to afford the living costs, and keep working 2.5 days a week alongside studying. I want to work in the field of drug and alcohol addiction.

I spent 6 months last year volunteering in the rehabilitation wing of a male prison, facilitating the running of the 12-step program and assessing clients for their suitability, plus the general admin shiz, and it made me more certain that that's the area I wanna go into. I'm not hell bent on getting into a prison-based job anymore as it's an incredibly tough environment for a young female but I do want to work in some kind of counselling role. I took a bit of a hiatus to pursue the night class I'm doing at the moment, which is just a basic counselling skills one, I won't be a qualified counsellor by the end but I will be qualified for the majority of 'counselling' jobs within organisations that deal with addiction. If I can pull off this Masters financially and emotionally (I'm chronically sick) then I'll be a qualified Social Worker with lots of doors opened to me.

I never wanted to do anything in Music, I just studied it as I loved it and I'm good at it, I don't regret it one bit. I've also been a volunteer Samaritan (www.samaritans.org) for the past four years which is amazing, hard work and emotionally tough but just the most rewarding thing I've ever done, it's a true privilege to be able to be there for desparate/suicidal people when they need somebody with them the most.

Whoa, big, BIG respect.  :tup

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2012, 10:14:06 AM »

Whoa, big, BIG respect.  :tup

I'm with Kirk, major props to you.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
I am a shift manager at Starbucks and a Biblical Studies undergrad at Dallas Baptist University.  Not sure what I want to do with the degree yet, but I am currently interviewing with a parachurch ministry that gives its time to high school students.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
Why, thank you both! I know it's cheesy but it has always felt like my 'calling' (urgh even typing that is cheesy) to help people/animals, and I most want to help disadvantaged/vulnerable people that most of society has given up on, because I try see the individual behind the behaviour and seem able to look past pretty much every barrier in order to do what I can to help somebody change their life and be there to support them emotionally along that journey. So far I have yet to meet a person whom I wasn't able to see 'some' good in, even though they've committed the most despicable of crimes. But I think I'm pretty realistic and rational with it, definitely don't see things through rose-tinted glasses. And I find addiction fascinating, and one of the most-needed areas for helpers. S'all good!

I got good news today that my hours have been increased to full-time at the bank, so I can afford to save up for my Masters :)
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »
I work part-time in retail, and I'm about 3/4 of the way to a B.S. in Business Economics. I'm trying to decide whether I should go back and finish that degree or try to pursue something else altogether. Either way, I don't particularly want to take out another loan right now, so I'm basically in a holding pattern until inspiration strikes.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
Main Job - Project Manager for a Utilities Contractor
Freelance Job - Urban Designer/Executive Designer for an Arch.+Ind. Design Firm

Change Orders by day, pretty pictures by night.

Yes, they're totally different careers. My life is all work. It's one thing to work hard and honest, but it's another to enslave yourself. Don't do it people. Take care of yourselves. This forum keeps me sane sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:43:30 PM by tofee35 »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
junior electrical engineering college student

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
Private Mortgage Broker in Southwest VA... Licensed in VA and TN.  I've been in the business for 11yrs.

My username will give you alma mater....
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »
Degree in Physics
About 2 months away from completing a PhD in Laser Science
F knows after that.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
Master of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine

Though right now, I'm taking a course in biochemistry from Berkeley's extension since I found that to practice in Washington State, I'd have to have a course in that. Plus, looking for a part-time job to tide me over until I have my license.