Author Topic: What Do You Do/Are You Studying to Do for a Living?  (Read 9270 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: What Do You Do/Are You Studying to Do for a Living?
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
Used to be music. Now...nothing.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
Professional Bum with Special Bum Tactics.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
I thought "oriental" wasn't really an acceptable term anymore

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
I sometimes hear older people use it to describe rugs and decorations, but that's it, AFAIK.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
I thought "oriental" wasn't really an acceptable term anymore
Hence why in Washington State it's been changed to getting a license as an "East Asian Medicine Practitioner."

In any case, the groups that accredit the schools, draw up the board exams, etc all refer to Oriental Medicine in their name, regardless of what might be politically correct. And since a good portion of the people running those organizations are from east Asia themselves, I think they would've lodged a complaint about the name long ago.  :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:04 AM »
Degree in Physics
About 2 months away from completing a PhD in Laser Science
F knows after that.

Become an evil genius and take over the world?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
Private Mortgage Broker in Southwest VA... Licensed in VA and TN.  I've been in the business for 11yrs.

My username will give you alma mater....

I represent VT around these parts.  *Throws gauntlet down*

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »

You're the perfect cover-boy.  You look so menacing for an IT guy. :lol

That's actually a subject that interest me a great deal.  It's a shame it was such a fluff piece. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
I'm studying comp sci, to do... something.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »
Well, my two big dreams have always been to play drums in a (metal/prog metal) band and to be a filmmaker. I do jam with a guy and we are sort of an unofficial band at the moment are are looking for members. I start film school in April and I'm not sure how that is going to turn out because I have no work and no money (looked my ass off and couldn't get hired by anybody. I had a brief stint at Tim Hortons and they shit-canned me after less than a week). The school is in Toronto and I live in Kitchener. I'm hoping I'll be able to commute via GoBus or GoTrain. But what I would really like to happen is for to my mother to get a place in Toronto and I can stay with her while I go to school and I can come back here on week-ends to visit my dad, dogs, and cat. Mom just got out of cancer surgery and will be healed a little before I have to start school, so I'm hoping that she wants to/can help me out in that department. If not, then I think I am kind of fucked.

And this shit pisses me off, too, because I am twenty-one years-old and I want to get on with my career. I haven't really done anything with my life since I finished high school and I am sick of not having anything to do and not having a job. Believe me, I feel like the laziest piece of shit alive. Hopefully everything works out so I can do the things that I want to do.

Another thing that I've always wanted to do, was be a novelist. I have always loved to tell stories (I guess that comes with the filmmaking territory, as well), so I would love to work as a novelist. If there was a way I could accomplish all three, that would be fucking amazing. But I'll do what I can, because I need a career and do something with my life.   
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
I am a color correction editor at a post production facility.  I help make reality tv look acceptable to the masses.  About to start working on a feature film next week though and am super excited to get my second one under my belt. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
I am a color correction editor at a post production facility.  I help make reality tv look acceptable to the masses.  About to start working on a feature film next week though and am super excited to get my second one under my belt. 

That's pretty interesting. Can I ask how you got into that field?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
I help make reality tv look acceptable to the masses.

How can you look at yourself in the mirror helping make that canned shit?

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
I was a commercial banker for almost 20 years. Got up one day and said F you to it. Started my own financial consulting company 8 years ago.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:28 PM »

The paycheck son. 

That's pretty interesting. Can I ask how you got into that field?

I graduated from film school, got an internship the day after I graduated.  Worked real hard and learned everything I could there, eventually started getting booked into color correct sessions.  It's been a cool progression.  I've come a long way in a year and a half.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2012, 02:11:55 AM »
Studied to be an economist (BCom Hons. (Economics)).
Became an economist by trade (coming up to two years).

Life is good.

Will (potentially) be moving into a policy development portfolio soon (State Development, so like planning, infrastructure and the like), have an inkling that the GM of the policy team wants to give me a go in the role. Fingers crossed because its a great portfolio and a nice bump up in pay - plus I'll still be doing economics :angel:
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2012, 03:10:57 AM »
I'm studying English literature and I have no interest in teaching.

I think I'm fucked.

Except I'm minoring in marketing, and I'll be taking a lot of technical writing classes. So I hope to have some sort of business career with a writing overlap, or vice-versa.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2012, 04:15:30 AM »
I'm applying for a job in social media marketing. Hope it works out.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »
I am currently a waitress at my Nanna's pub,

Considering I want to go into acting, that's probably the only work I'll ever get into. Either that, or sucking director cock.

:rollin

Ali, you're the fucking best :tup I also got great joy out of this because I too am a waitress.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2012, 06:32:45 AM »
I'm starting to get sick. I really need a job like the one I've applied for. I just need a job that I can pay for Courtney's schooling with. I'm fucking sick. I haven't heard anything back. They had a different job description on their website from where I found the listing. It says you need to have had a "successful social media campaign". The fuck? It's an entry level job. Jesus Christ that makes me nervous.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2012, 07:20:23 AM »

*photos snipped*

That's actually a subject that interest me a great deal.  It's a shame it was such a fluff piece.

yeah, when they asked me to do the interview, they said it was going to be an "in depth examination of the struggles that I.T. managers face" with respect to monitoring.  I'm guess you read it, and if you did you know there was really nothing at all that was "in depth" about it.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »

Considering I want to go into acting, that's probably the only work I'll ever get into. Either that, or sucking director cock.

:rollin

Ali, you're the fucking best :tup I also got great joy out of this because I too am a waitress.
I know I am :P And who cares if it's a shitty career? Waitressing rocks!
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »

The number of DTF members interested in film careers just skyrocketed.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »

*photos snipped*

yeah, when they asked me to do the interview, they said it was going to be an "in depth examination of the struggles that I.T. managers face" with respect to monitoring.  I'm guess you read it, and if you did you know there was really nothing at all that was "in depth" about it.
Yeah, pretty light weight.

It's interesting, though.  I'm the de facto IT guy where I work, and since I know how to run the computers, I'm usually who friends and family will ask to sort out their issues.  Since I have to see these people, I go as far out of my way as possible to not see what they're up to.  I really don't want to know what some of these people's interests are.   :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!  Then head on over the the Survivor thread.  The new season just started.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
Payroll for a National Labour Hire Company,  :smiley:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
I work in an electrical supply warehouse that *wait for it* sells electrical supplies.

I'm writing a novel on the side, albeit veeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrry slooooooooooooowwly.

So, yeah, go to college kids.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Studying music education currently. Loving every second of it so far. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it. I could teach music at pretty much any level high school and below. On top of or instead of that, I would probably make one hell of a freelance guitar/trumpet/piano teacher.

Something I'd really love to do is conduct an orchestra that backs Devin Townsend as he plays the entirety of Deconstruction in a live setting. I would gladly give anything for that opportunity.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »
Very interesting reading this thread.

I'm a Sales Director for a $27B computer/electronics distribution company.  Work from home, but end up traveling a lot for meetings in our various offices (Phoenix, San Antonio, Denver), and conferences.  I have a BA in Economics, but don't use any of those educational skills.  Degree's are just a stepping stone to prove that you can do something for four years, and be successful.  I went right into sales after University.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »
Interviewed today for a summer internship with Northwestern Mutual. Fingers crossed!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:05 PM »
Interviewed for a QA Associate job at a power inverter manufacturer (30kW to 1.2MW).  I'd be the face of QA at the plant (only about 25 people) and would interact weekly with the VPs and President.  It's a temp to perm position, and I'll be getting my offer on Monday.  I'm hoping it's enough to be able to finally move out on my own.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »
Degree in Physics
F knows after that.
Cool, may I ask what exactly your PhD is about?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
See, now today I did something really cool and this is one of the things that make me love my job.  One of our clients is Children's Hospital.   My group is currently involved in a massive project to document/improve their HVAC Controls Ethernet Backbone.  To give you an idea of the scope of this network, it covers an area that is approximately 160 square miles.  Their main campus is in Boston, then they have smaller campuses in Peabody and Waltham.  The Peabody and Waltham campuses are connected back to the main Boston campus over a leased (private) line SSL VPN that we designed, programmed and installed for them.  There is a 30-ton Air Handling Unit on the roof of the Peabody campus that has been having all kinds of problems and the manufacturer has been giving the hospital the run-a-round with supporting it.  They claimed that the only way they could figure out what the problem is with the unit is if they had 24/7/365 remote access to it from their offices in Kansas City, MO.  Basically, they were trying to blow the hospital off because the truth is we all know the unit (which costs about $175,000) is faulty - and it's still under warranty, but the warranty language stipulates that the customer must provide remote access. 

Today, I installed a computer in the main Boston campus data center that is connected to a router in Peabody (over the VPN) and the router is relaying all RDP packets directly to the Ethernet Port on the rooftop unit's interface.  What I have done is I've made it possible, with the right credentials, IP address and TCP port offset information, to remotely connect to this rooftop unit from ANY computer on earth that is connected to the internet and capable of running RDP.  This even includes Apple computers and/or iPads or iPhones.

We just had a teleconference with the company that makes the rooftop unit and they were flabbergasted because we're all pretty sure that they thought this little clause in the fine print of the warranty was going to prevent them from having to replace this defective unit.  But I have effectively shoved that defective rooftop unit up their ass with this custom engineered solution.  :lol

Now they either have to fix it or replace it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
Degree in Physics
F knows after that.
Cool, may I ask what exactly your PhD is about?

Mostly what happens when you shoot a Free Electron Laser at some molecules.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
Alright. As you might've read I'm hoping to be able to make it to a PhD as well. But first my bachelor's degree and then my master's. I'm not even sure I'm going to master in physics, might be mathematics... Or maybe something completely different when perhaps I don't even make it there. Who knows. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart