Author Topic: Amplifier (Progressive Rock/Space Rock) - New Album "Mystoria" is out now!  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Amplifier is a trio from Manchester, a band that has sort of emerged with the 00's wave of Modern British Prog, for a while they were almost considered the little brother of Oceansize (another band from Manchester), but since their break up, Amplifier is the last hope of the city now.  :biggrin: Their music is a very interesting mix of Progressive and Space Rock, but there are quite a lot of hints at metal in their music, and it can be very heavy at times. They have been described by critics as sounding like a mix of Soundgarden, Tool, Black Sabbath, Oceansize and Pink Floyd, so if you're into any of these bands (or several), then Amplifier might really be something for you!

The band was formed in '99, and has since released 3 studio albums and a couple of EP's, their self-titled debut came out in 2004, the follow-up entitled "Insider" came out in 2006, and their latest album, the double-album "The Octopus" came out in early 2011. While these albums are all slightly different from each other, the band has a very unique core in their sound, a mix of Progressive, Heavy and Atmospheric, an almost "wall of sound" going on, and their music is amazing considering the fact that they are just a trio. Their latest album; "The Octopus" was their most ambitious project to this date, and being a double album with 2 hours of material, that is both Prog and a majestic idea. With 2 hours of music there's always a risk that some of it wont be up to standard, but like the rest of the material this band has put out, all of it was up to standard!

You might remember the band name from the "top 50 albums"-list I made a while ago, both the self-titled album and The Octopus were featured, with Insider being just below the cut. I've been listening to this band a lot over the last couple of months, and they are so good that I just had to make a thread for them here. The band has also several connections to Oceansize, Sel Balamir (vocals and guitar in Amplifier) both sings and plays on a few Oceansize songs here and there, and is also featured on their Feed to Feed-anniversary box-set. On the contrary, Mike Vennart is here and there on Amplifier's albums helping out, and lastly we have Steve Durose who used to play guitar for Oceansize but has now joined Amplifier. (if it's just for live or permanent is too early to tell)
To share and spread the love, and hopefully get more people into them. I would recommend the debut or The Octopus as good starting albums, but if you're just interested in checking out a couple of songs, I would recommend these:

Airborne (from Amplifier)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJz2ueniLFw

Strange Seas of Thought (from Insider)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KesbO2wgeg4

The Wave (From The Octopus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mixPxkJswHA

So yeah, spread the love and everything. I'll personally see to it that I get as many people into this band as possible, (something I'm also doing with Oceansize), and hopefully this post wont be forgotten on page 3-4 with 1-2 answers. :P
I'll update with news whenever there are any, and do my best to keep it updated.

Latest news:

*Amplifier will open for Anathema on their Europe tour this spring, so make sure you catch them if you can! I really want to go myself, but not a single concert near Sweden so far, hopefully that will change.

*New album - "Mystoria" scheduled for a release later this year.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:20:48 AM by Zantera »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Amplifier (Progressive Rock/Space Rock, Tour with Anathema & New Album!)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
I love the hell out of The Octopus, but it's so long and sprawling that I'm still working my way through everything it offers. I forgot to put it on my top 20 list for last year, but it deserved a high spot on it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
I love the hell out of The Octopus, but it's so long and sprawling that I'm still working my way through everything it offers. I forgot to put it on my top 20 list for last year, but it deserved a high spot on it.

Have you listened to the two other albums? Shorter (obviously) and a bit different. If it helps, I sometimes divide The Octopus into two "separate" albums. While I often listen to it in it's entirety, sometimes it's nice to just listen to the first or the second disc, and ~60 minutes in one sitting isn't too long.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »
Zantera I haven't forgotten this band from your top 50 list and plan on picking up one of their albums as soon as I have a little extra dough.  Where to start?  Should I start with the first album and work from there or dive right in to The Octopus (which sounds very intriguing)?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
Zantera I haven't forgotten this band from your top 50 list and plan on picking up one of their albums as soon as I have a little extra dough.  Where to start?  Should I start with the first album and work from there or dive right in to The Octopus (which sounds very intriguing)?

It depends a bit on how hard it would be for you to get into a 2 Disc-album honestly. :P
That's one of the main "problems" with The Octopus, some people (like myself) doesn't really have much of a problem to get into a double album, a few more spins required perhaps, or listening to them separately until they click. But some people get overwhelmed by too much music at once, and have a much more time getting into it.
If I would compare them I would say that The Octopus has more variety on it, meanwhile the self-titled has almost a "theme" running through it. The songs does have a similar sound, but I don't think it will bother you because it's a fairly unique sound, and all the songs are so good.

So yeah, I think you would love both, so it's preferences really. If you feel like you have time and stamina to get into a double album, The Octopus is amazing. If you already have tons of other stuff to check out, then the self-titled is maybe a bit more "love at first sight", slightly more accessible perhaps. :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
Word, it sounds like I'd be good with whatever, so I'll use the tried and true decision making process of "whatever's cheapest."  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »
Amen to that way, I've done so myself many times.  :biggrin:
Interestingly enough, I picked up The Octopus before I had heard it, and barely knew the band. I had been meaning to check them out, and when I saw The Octopus (a double album) so cheap in the record store, I just had to pick it up. Now I'm quite glad I did.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
Personally I slightly prefer the self-titled debut as it's slightly more concise and really great all the way through, but The Octopus is also amazing.

Don't rush to get Insider though, it's got some decent stuff but it's not nearly as intersting as the other two.

Also, had no idea there was a new album on the way already, that's awesome!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
I actually LOVE Insider.
Yeah, it's a bit different and perhaps less Prog, but fantastic never the less.
The first 6 songs are amazing, after that I agree that the average quality isn't AS good (though there are a few great ones as well), but still a really good album as I see it.
Might add that it needed a few more spins for me before it clicked, but songs like Gustav's Arrival, O Fortuna, the title-track, Strange Seas of Thought and What is Music? are superb.  :hefdaddy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
Eh, I love the opening two tracks, and there are a couple of other really good songs throughout, but the rest I just find quite bland and unmemorable. The album was massively rushed as a deadline was forced on them by the label, which I only found out about fairly recently but seems to explain why the album doesn't hold together so well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »
Yeah, it does explain quite a bit.
When it comes to album flow, I'll agree with you that the self-titled and The Octopus has Insider beaten. I think it's a shame, because as I said, I think the first half of Insider is pretty fantastic, but after that it goes down a bit.
The self-titled and The Octopus both has some of my favorite songs near the end, so even if I'm past the first songs I love, I still have something to look forward to, but to me, the latter half of Insider is slightly weaker. (still good, but not as good)

Have you had the time to check out their EP's yet? Mostly talking about Fractal, Eternity, The Astronaut Dismantles HAL and the 4 bonus songs on the self-titled. Some really great stuff there as well, I haven't heard those that many times yet (since I recently checked them out), but I'm really enjoying it. What I love about Amplifier is that they embrace variety and diversity, Fractal EP is very unique, and it doesn't sound very much like their other stuff for example.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
i've been spinning Amplifier daily for about a month now since your top50 thread, Zantera.
i've checked out the other material as well, but i've focused on getting to know the debut album...and since i've given it 30+ spins, its safe to say i'm a fan (thanx for the find, Zantera  :metal).

their sound, as described by critics, seems pretty accurate...kinda like tool meets 90's alternative. i'd say the 'zeppelin and sabbath' aspects dont shine through quite as much as the 90s alternative aspect of their sound, but i would also say that at times they almost sound like: 'tool with tony iommi replacing adam jones on guitar...and with some 90s alt rock singer doing his best maynard impression'' (i can never place which singer i might be thinking of...though i might just be thinking of a generalization of 90's alt vox).

i'm actually spinning some HAL right now...aspects of Everyday Combat actually reminded me of The Tea Party.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

Have you listened to the two other albums? Shorter (obviously) and a bit different. If it helps, I sometimes divide The Octopus into two "separate" albums. While I often listen to it in it's entirety, sometimes it's nice to just listen to the first or the second disc, and ~60 minutes in one sitting isn't too long.

Haven't gotten around to it yet, despite intending to. This forum tends to point me at so much music that my intentions often get buried by the sheer volume of my recomended list. Which isn't precisely a bad thing given how good the music I've found around these parts is.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:58 AM »
i've been spinning Amplifier daily for about a month now since your top50 thread, Zantera.
i've checked out the other material as well, but i've focused on getting to know the debut album...and since i've given it 30+ spins, its safe to say i'm a fan (thanx for the find, Zantera  :metal).

their sound, as described by critics, seems pretty accurate...kinda like tool meets 90's alternative. i'd say the 'zeppelin and sabbath' aspects dont shine through quite as much as the 90s alternative aspect of their sound, but i would also say that at times they almost sound like: 'tool with tony iommi replacing adam jones on guitar...and with some 90s alt rock singer doing his best maynard impression'' (i can never place which singer i might be thinking of...though i might just be thinking of a generalization of 90's alt vox).

i'm actually spinning some HAL right now...aspects of Everyday Combat actually reminded me of The Tea Party.

Awesome! Great that I successfully converted someone, and hopefully more will be convereted as well!  ;)
What I love about their debut is that it offers so much, no matter what kind of preferences you have. Heavy sections? Yes. Catchy choruses? Yes. Rockin' music? Hell yes.

Jaq @ I know what you mean, the "mountain of music" that is always on the check-out list. But still, I think you would really love their earlier stuff as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
Bump!

I just received my order containing both the "Eternity" EP and "The Astronaut Dismantles HAL" EP, also the black Octopus T-Shirt included. Anyhow, these guys are really caring about their fans, first I got a personal response from Sel when I made the order, then my Eternity copy was signed by Matt, with the text: "To Jimmy, all the best". Just felt like a nice little thing, made me smile.  :) Also got a bunch of Octopus stickers, a poster and a card. Just pro stuff.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
Chiming in to say I picked up "The Octopus" recently thanks to Zantera's reccommendation and it's awesome!  It's my most listened to album over the last few weeks, they're an awesome band.  Thanks Zantera!

Also, I'm jealous of your haul!  ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
Chiming in to say I picked up "The Octopus" recently thanks to Zantera's reccommendation and it's awesome!  It's my most listened to album over the last few weeks, they're an awesome band.  Thanks Zantera!

Also, I'm jealous of your haul!  ;)

Awesome that you liked it! :D Any particular favorite songs?
Also, this should probably have made you interested in picking up the debut and Insider? ;)

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
I've had it spinning in the car and at work mostly so I've just been letting the whole album play through without paying much attention to the track names or anything, so there's no real stand outs yet but they'll come I'm sure.  And yes, soon I will have their entire discog. Muahahahahahaha!

We should have a Dr. Evil emoticon or something.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
I've had it spinning in the car and at work mostly so I've just been letting the whole album play through without paying much attention to the track names or anything, so there's no real stand outs yet but they'll come I'm sure.  And yes, soon I will have their entire discog. Muahahahahahaha!

We should have a Dr. Evil emoticon or something.

Sounds really nice. :) If you enjoy the other two albums as well, I highly recommend their EPs. Both that I picked up are available on their website, I bought a bundle with both EP's for 9,90 £ or so. Really worth it.  :tup

Regarding the new upcoming album entitled Mystoria:
Quote from: Sel Balamir
This is well underway now.
We’re looking at completion by summer for release in Autumn.

Expect the best Progressive Grunge album of all time.
From the February newsletter.

On another note, I just placed my order for The Octopus 2.0. I already have the normal version, but seeing how epic 2.0 will be, and how rare it might become (limited to 750 copies), I just felt that I HAD to get it. Being a collector and all. Besides, ~24£ wasn't much for something this unique and rare. Too bad shipping is 13£.  :lol
https://www.amplifiermerchandise.com/About%20Version2.html
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:41:33 PM by Zantera »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Bump. I just received my copy of The Octopus 2.0, which looks really awesome. Really great to finally have Fractal EP physically, also a very nice "book" in the thing, which was also signed by all the bandmembers.
Really glad that I ordered it.  :)

Offline senecadawg2

I wish they would come tour the US. Especially with Anathema (who I'm just now finally getting into)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Amplifier (Progressive Rock/Space Rock) - New album: "Echo Street"
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
Time for a bump. The new album is completed, and it will be called: "Echo Street".
Songlist:

Between Today And Yesterday
Echo Street
Extra Vehicular
Mary Rose
Matmos
Never And Always
Paris In The Spring
The Wheel

I am really excited about this. While I love all the three previous albums, The Octopus was quite the epic album, and it will be interesting to see how they follow it up. The album was initially meant to be called "Mystoria" but either they're saving that title or just scrapped it. Still, I am really excited about this.  :metal

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
 :D

Any talk of a release date yet?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
Oh yeah, it's set for release in January. So 2013 will start off in an awesome way. ;)
Did you check out more albums by the way? I know you had a bit of a low cash-flow last time so you had to prioritize certain albums. :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »
Heh, I'm married and have 2 kids bro.  I always have a low cash flow  ;)

These days I'm currently absorbing The Astronaut Dismantles Hal.  I know it's an EP but I dunno, seems like an album to me.  So far so good!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Time for another news-related bump!

Quote from: Amplifier
And there just isn’t enough headline room to accommodate us this month.
We appreciate that you’ve all been losing sleep without our presence in your inbox.
Mainly it’s been due to Magnum having to undertake more of his secret work that we can’t talk about.

However we have tried to be productive in this downtime, y’know,
and just , like, 
flop out another album of pure awesomeness,
y’know, just as an aside…

But before we get into all that,
Ladies and Gentlemen.
(drum Roll....)

Ahem
Finally, Our First Live DVD
Desertfest Berlin, April 2012

So not only a new album next year but a new live-DVD on it's way.
Setlist on the DVD:

1. Continuum
2. Fall of the Empire
3. Panzer
4. Motorhead
5. The Wave
6. Interglacial Spell
7. Interstellar
8. Golden Ratio
9. Neon

~1 ½ hour runningtime.

It will also come as CD. Awesome news. I've heard that The Octopus-stuff should be really awesome live, so this will be a good chance to hear it.
Regarding Echo Street:

Quote from: Amplifier
This album, like so many beloved children,
wasn’t really planned.
It just happened.
And it happened really, really quickly.
And that is why we love it.
It’s no fun taking four years to make an album.
Also – it’s no fun compressing four years worth of work into 60 days to make an album either.
What’s a band to do?

Anyway –
You’re not interested in that at this point.
Here’s what you really want to know:

Is this Mystoria?  - What happened to that?
This isn’t Mystoria – It’s Echo Street
Mystoria – That’s still being finished.
It wasn’t correct for release now – We’ll leave it till later next year .

Is this an album of songs that weren’t going to make it on to Mystoria?
Come on - as if!
No this is a completely new album of songs.
They didn’t exist until the end of August 2012.
Neat huh?

Songs on the album:

1. Matmos [8:25]
2. The Wheel [7.09]
3. Extra Vehicular [12:05]
4. Paris In The Spring [8.30]
5. Never And Always [5.54]
6. Between Today And Yesterday [5:16]
7. Echo Street [5:52]
8. Mary Rose [7:14]

I'm so excited.

• DT.net Veteran
trippy news. sounds like they'll have a lot going on in the coming year+ if Mysteria also sees the light of day anytime soon.

i remember some news not too long back about the new album being "the most progressive grunge album of all time" er some isht. i wonder if thats Mysteria(?). it had me thinking it would be along the lines if the self titled, but on steroids. or maybe HGH.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Alright, so the new album is out now.
Haven't gotten my deluxe version or Vinyl yet, but I will probably get them before the weekend hopefully. Been listening to the album these last two days and it is amazing. It doesn't sound like any of the previous albums, but it does feel like a lighter, and natural progression to The Octopus. It's more mellow and a lot of focus on melodies, I think the white/light cover really fits with the music on the album. Some chords sounds a bit Pink Floyd-ish, but I guess they have always been an influence for the band.

Anyhow, the album is really amazing. One of my favorites so far this year, might even take the top spot of 2013 over My Bloody Valentine, we will see. I hope more people get the chance to hear the band and this album. :)

Offline Ryzee

:D  Sweet!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
After reading your review of the album, I had completely wrapped myself up in and fallen in love with their debut. It's so familiar yet different for me and I love everything about it (have tried not to overindulge as to avoid wearing it out).

I checked out The Octopus and while I get where they are going, it just didn't scratch the same itch as the debut. After reading your initial comments about the new album I don't know if I'm going to enjoy it any better. I am all for bands changing up their sounds and musical direction through their career, I guess I just came late to the party cause I would love more material like their debut.

I know at some point I'll check out this new release. I hope they can gain some traction because it sounds like they are struggling a bit by their posts on their FB. They are really talented and have a different style than most everything else out there so I hope things pick up for them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I definitely see your standpoint, The Octopus is very different from the debut. I do think you should check out their second album "Insider", which is closer to the debut soundwise, with perhaps a more 'straightforward'-approach. They also released an EP called "The Astronaut Dismantles HAL" which also has a few similarities to the debut, another sweet release.

The new album doesn't really sound like anything they've done before, so you might like it for that reason. While it's not like the debut, it's not like The Octopus either really.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
I totally get what they were going for with The Octopus and I like that kind of thing too, but I guess I'm just in a place where I love what they did with the debut. It is seriously one of my favorite albums ever at this point. :heart  So thankful that you got the word up about it (just happened to click on Airborne on your link in this thread and losing my head over it as usual!).

I'll take time to digest "The Octopus"  (:lol) and I'm sure I'll come around on it. I definitely intend on checking out the rest of their material as well. As I mentioned they are really, really talented and have a uniqueness to them while being familiar at the same time. It's great stuff overall!

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I'm loving this latest album. May well overtake Insider as my favourite.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I'm really loving the new album too. In fact, right now I would say this is the best album that Amplifier has put out. Everyone should check it out, it's less heavy than previous releases, but more progressive.  :)

• DT.net Veteran
Everyday Combat could totes be a The Tea Party song. I mean, if it were, it just might be the best song in their catalogue, but still. Actually, I bet if i listened for it, I could say that bout some other Amplifier tunes as well.
...and as my media player transitions into Live Human, its got me thinking Bush X. (the X might just be a canadian thing{?})

holy, warnings for digging up old threads, yo.
notepad's probs already had the most warnings on the forum  ;)