Author Topic: Rewinding to/Fastforwarding to/Replaying the "good" part of a song  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Ħ

Does anyone else do this? I notice that I've been doing it a lot lately. I caught myself listening to Lazarus (PT), and replaying the bridge over and over again. I notice that I also do it with the last chorus of The Start of Something Beautiful, and the "I'm sick of all you hypocrites" section of ACoS--those are just a few examples.

Does doing this too frequently "kill" the song for you? Does it make you less appreciative of the emotional moments in songs?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Rewinding to/Fastforwarding to/Replaying the "good" part of a song
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
I never do that.

I usually listen to albums as wholes, as well, but not always.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
I never do that.

For me, things get stale real fast when I repeat tracks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:31:48 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »
If I hear something that fucks my mind I'll go back and replay it, don't see how it could kill a song to quickly replay a part you really liked..

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
I used to but not any more. I always just tell myself it's better to avoid risking a song losing its appeal. Not in my internal monologue, but out loud. Every time.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
I'll replay song if I really like 'em, but parts of songs? Madness I say!

EDIT: Cuz i sux at teh englysh

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
I replay a lot.  That is for certain parts and for whole songs.  I've never seen it as too horrible of a disruption anyway, as I'm not too picky about experiencing the album/song all at once with absolutely no discontinuance as some people seem to be. 

Might have something to do with growing up in (and experiencing music mostly in) the "ipod age" or whatever.  Having the ability to skip to whatever part just by moving my thumb has probably gotten me accustomed to doing so quite often. 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
I used to do it when I was younger before I really appreciated music. I still do it occasionally, but it's usually when I want to show someone a specific part of a song that I found amazing.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
Never do this, unless I'm trying to learn a section of a song. I actually really hate people with musical ADHD, one of my friends constantly changes songs and skips around and it bugs the fuck out of me.  :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Never do this, unless I'm trying to learn a section of a song. I actually really hate people with musical ADHD, one of my friends constantly changes songs and skips around and it bugs the fuck out of me.  :lol
Really? You hate me? :(
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
I do it a lot with certain parts of certain songs, but it's not that common. I feel like with a lot of sections it's the context and flow from the rest of the song that really gives it power.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
Really? You hate me? :(

Well, my friend tends to jump to different songs instead of replaying sections he just listened to. It doesn't bother me if people do it on their own time, but it really does bother me when I'm starting to get into a song and then my friend just decides to change it because he doesnt have an attention span.  :lol He is the only person I know that does this, at least of someone that I consider a music fan. (in real life i mean)

Seth has a very good point about it being a generational thing. ipods/computers have made this so easy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:01:29 PM by ZBomber »

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »
meh i very rarely skip parts, just ruins the mood and buildup usually

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »
Wow, huhoohaha, I was just thinking of this last night whilst listening to Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites (song). I never, ever do this but with that song, I thought I could get past the wubs, but the wubs just kicked my ass. It's too much. I can't do it. So, I just kept going to a few minutes before the song ends where it is the land of no wubbles and kept replaying that one section. I really like the end of that song but....the wubbles...they move my bowels. This, I do not like. Annnd now I'm sick of the song so. Y'know. Grapes and crepes.

Other than that I don't think I've ever done such a thing. Perhaps when I was a kid... But my memory is screwed so. :police:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »
I don't.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
I occasionally do this, but I try to generally avoid it just in case it wears out the song for me, or stops me appreciating the rest of the song as much as I should. I definitely do it a bit more when I'm first getting into an album I'm really liking though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
I occasionally do this, but I try to generally avoid it just in case it wears out the song for me, or stops me appreciating the rest of the song as much as I should.
This exactly. I repeat more than I skip, however.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »
I do it shamelessly.  :lol

"The fuck was that?" *rewind to beginning of AWESOME* "I... I thought so..."
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
Does anyone else do this? I notice that I've been doing it a lot lately. I caught myself listening to Lazarus (PT), and replaying the bridge over and over again. I notice that I also do it with the last chorus of The Start of Something Beautiful, and the "I'm sick of all you hypocrites" section of ACoS--those are just a few examples.

Does doing this too frequently "kill" the song for you? Does it make you less appreciative of the emotional moments in songs?

I do this all the time, and IMO it has no effect on the song whatsoever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »
I never do this as well and also listen to albums as a whole, not just for a particular song. The only time I take songs individually is with my Billboard chart songs that I'll collected over the years.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:37 PM »
Never!

A friend of mine used to do this with cassettes in the car and it used to bug the crap out of me.

I've listened to complete songs over and over again for hours on end, but I've never repeatedly listened to only a part of it.

The last four songs I've had on repeat in the last few months were:

Witch Hunt
Leave That Thing Alone
Let It Be
Misplaced Childhood

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »
No; this is one of my pet peeves. I'd like songs to be listened to how they were intended to be listened to.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »
I'll go back and relisten to a song I love or skip a song I don't like to much to get to one that I love, but I never fast forward or rewind within a song. (One notable exception is when listening to The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute, I'll fast forward through most of the noise parts that aren't musical)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
No; this is one of my pet peeves. I'd like songs to be listened to how they were intended to be listened to.
There's no INTENDED way songs are supposed to be listened to...
I honestly don't see the problem with going back over a part you find rad, that just shows that you really dig something that the band you're listening to is doing.  Just my opinion though.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »
(One notable exception is when listening to The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute, I'll fast forward through most of the noise parts that aren't musical)

I usually only do that at the end of "The Widow." I find that I'm able to deal with all of the other ambient parts, but I just can't stand the fact that the noise at the end of "The Widow" is longer than the song itself.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
Yes, there is. The way it's on the CD is the way it was intended.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
I doubt almost anyone here actually rewinds or fastforwards any of their music

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 08:44:29 AM »
I never do that.

For me, things get stale real fast when I repeat tracks.
Both of these.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »
No where is it printed that it's intended to be listened to that way.  I get it that you don't think it's right, but there's nothing wrong with replaying a part you like, otherwise there wouldn't be a fastforward/rewind button.  Personally I just rewind real quick if I hear a passage or an outburst of an instrument that amazes me and then I just go on with the song.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »

nsfw
YOU DON'T KNOW ME, PRAWN!!!

That was a bad joke. Poor soul...lost in the confines of a narrow mind of thought. You will forever roam that vile wasteland, never able to go back into the past or jump into the future like us absolutes. I break intentions. The intention breaker, that's my nickname, given to me by your race, the inferiors; "Oh, hail to the most extreme of absolutes! He who may break every intention ever intended to defy all reason only for the sake of laughing at our weak and feeble minds, trapped between the lines of our folly rules! Look how big his calf muscles are! We are forever broken and dismayed; so we kiss thy feet and clean thy toenails, for that is all that we are good for, outlined in the rules of how to listen to the now inferior Compact Disc!"

That's what you'll say. I've heard it so many times before. Now, feast with me, eat my amazing kettle corn; for each seed exploded is a life lost...the one you devour may be your own.  :corn :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:05:10 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
Occasionally.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:45 AM »
I only did that with one song for a period of time and that was The Glass Prison. Never did it with any other song ever.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheStinger

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
I sometimes wait until the song gets to the good part and then let that finish and maybe 15 seconds later I am looking for a new song as I know I have already heard the best part of the song.  I try not to do that around other people though.  I don't want to appear weird. ;)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
I never do this, but I almost restarted "Strip the Soul" the other day to hear SW say "tie em uuuuup" again. Good christ that gives me the chills.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »

nsfw
YOU DON'T KNOW ME, PRAWN!!!

LOL