Author Topic: KevMo interview from 2000 including comments on DT  (Read 6972 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
KevMo interview from 2000 including comments on DT
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
I found this old interview with Kevin Moore from around the time Chroma Key's You Go Now was released: https://www.oocities.org/hume2112/chromakeyint.html To my surprise he seemed pretty comfortable talking about DT:

2112: I’ve just got three Dream Theater questions now. Is that fine?

KM: Yeah.

2112: Do you still keep in touch with the band?

KM: By email, occasionally. But, we’ve pretty much gone our own way, I’d say. For the most part.

2112: Do you resent the fact that a lot of people still know you from Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, the player on Images and Words and Awake? Or are you happy you still have that legacy attached to your name?

KM: If people don’t know me as Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, people don’t know me. It’s either that or nothing (chuckles). It’s not like Chroma Key is huge. I really don’t have a problem with the Dream Theater thing at all. I mean, I’m happy with the work I did with Dream Theater. We did some interesting stuff.

2112: What was your favorite Dream Theater album to record?

KM: To record?

2112: Or maybe just your favorite Dream Theater album, sound-wise.

KM: I don’t know. I think the best sounding album is Images and Words. I think my sound is better on Awake, even though I hate the mix. The mix is terrible on Awake. But I like the sounds used on Awake better.

2112: Are you glad that Dream Theater recorded “Space Dye Vest”? I read an interview with Mike (Portnoy), and he said that if he had known you were leaving, they wouldn’t have recorded the song. Because it’s really your song, you wrote it. Are you glad you presented it to the band and it ended up on Awake?

KM: Yeah. I’m glad because that song kind of helped indicate the direction I was going to go with Chroma Key. Because that song might fit on a Chroma Key album. So it really gave people a hint, and I’m really just talking about Dream Theater fans, what kind of music I was going to be doing. Once they found out I left, they had that song to refer to.

2112: Have you heard the new one, Scenes From A Memory?

KM: I haven’t. Mike was supposed to send it me, but he hasn’t.
Earlier in the interview he also talked about the SDV lyrics and about practising keyboards when he was in DT.

I wonder what happened after 2000 and made him avoid having anything to do with Dream Theater... Was it MP's negative comments on him or did he simply get bored about being referred to as "ex-DT keyboardist"?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: KevMo interview from 2000 including comments on DT
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:21:22 AM »
It's been 18 years since he had anything to do with DT. Really couldn't care less about how he feels about DT at this stage.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
YOU ARE WRONG!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:07:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing this.  I remember reading it a long time ago.  Yeah, I agree with Blob that this interview is so old that it probably doesn't reflect his current feelings, if any, on DT.  But it's still nice to read.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
Damn, I remember when the year "2000" felt so new and future-like. It was even hard to say it was the year 2000, not 1999. Now it's 12 years ago. Damn  :justjen

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
Nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
It's been 18 years since he had anything to do with DT. Really couldn't care less about how he feels about DT at this stage.

I do.  He's a musician that I respect a lot and while his opinion won't change mine, I still have a curiousity.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
Interesting to see he hates Awake's mix.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
I guess the truth is out now: Kevin Moore is holding a grudge against and refusing to talk about Dream Theater because Mike Portnoy never sent him Scenes from a Memory.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 03:27:54 AM »
Interesting to see he hates Awake's mix.
MP has said that on his website in the FAQ: "I think Kevin may have some resentments towards them because for the writing and recording of that whole album, he was “part of the band.” Then towards the very end of the recording, he informed us of his decision to leave the band. Once that was out in the open, we did not include him on any of the decision making throughout the mix because we knew he was no longer going to be in the band. So I suppose there are elements on the CD that he would have liked to have seen or heard differently, but he had to relinquish his vote as a result of leaving."
I guess the truth is out now: Kevin Moore is holding a grudge against and refusing to talk about Dream Theater because Mike Portnoy never sent him Scenes from a Memory.  :lol :lol :lol
:lol "Dammit, now I'll never know what happened in the 2nd part of Metropolis!"

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 04:40:36 AM »
MP: I think Kevin may have some resentments towards them because for the writing and recording of that whole album, he was “part of the band.” Then towards the very end of the recording, he informed us of his decision to leave the band. Once that was out in the open, we did not include him on any of the decision making throughout the mix because we knew he was no longer going to be in the band. So I suppose there are elements on the CD that he would have liked to have seen or heard differently, but he had to relinquish his vote as a result of leaving.

Which sounds perfectly reasonable until you get to the answer to the next question:

MP: It was totally 100% his song and had we known he was about to quit the band, we wouldn't have even put it on our album.

So he's saying that they wouldn't have put it on the album if they'd known he was about to quit, but before the album was completed he'd quit, which surely gave them an opportunity to not put it on the album? :)

On this occasion I'd prefer to give MP the benefit of the doubt and assume that by the time they got to mixing the album they were already committed to having SDV on there for one reason or another.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »
Cool!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »

And to the day, he's still waiting for his copy.

To make up for the lost time, he's sending him his far more modern and ballsy Adrenaline Mob EP instead.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »
So he's saying that they wouldn't have put it on the album if they'd known he was about to quit, but before the album was completed he'd quit, which surely gave them an opportunity to not put it on the album? :)

On this occasion I'd prefer to give MP the benefit of the doubt and assume that by the time they got to mixing the album they were already committed to having SDV on there for one reason or another.
Yeah, maybe they had decided the tracklisting before Kevin told the "big news". I'm sure MP was the only one in the band who didn't really enjoy SDV, at least James said he likes the song when he performed it live with Jordan.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »

Yeah, maybe they had decided the tracklisting before Kevin told the "big news". I'm sure MP was the only one in the band who didn't really enjoy SDV, at least James said he likes the song when he performed it live with Jordan.

Maybe it was more a matter of the band not having much connection to the song, rather than actually disliking it. I doubt they would have even recorded it if they didn't like the song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline phantom

• Turn the key, walk through the gate...
  • Another Bootlegs Maniac
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »

So, did he get a copy or not?  :angel:

The Dreams & The Bricks

Offline darkshade

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »
^ I'm sure Kevin has heard Scenes at least once by now, just because it's Metropolis Pt 2.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
I remember an OSI interview (don't remember if it was for Free or the debut.  I think it was Free) where Kev basically explained that he just didn't feel like playing prog metal anymore and wanted to move on and do something else.  So he really has never been COMPLETELY silent on the matter, but this was a cool find anyways.  Thanks for sharing! 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
Interesting. I mean, it's not like Kevin can only listen to DT albums if they're sent to him. The fact that he didn't just go out and buy it/listen on youtube/use napster is really telling, in that he just isn't interested in DT at all, even out of nostalgia.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Cable

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
Interesting to hear that he still at the time of the interview had contact with DT (or MP). MP made it sound like he completely swore them off, and did not have contact outside of "no" to whatever the questions/proposals to him were.
---

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »
Interesting to hear that he still at the time of the interview had contact with DT (or MP). MP made it sound like he completely swore them off, and did not have contact outside of "no" to whatever the questions/proposals to him were.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.  So this interview was done in Dec. 2000, then a year and a half later Kev was working with Portnoy in OSI in mid 2002, and that continued through MP's involvement in OSI's Free album in 2006.  So Kev really did have a lot more DT contact than even I realized. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
I found this old interview with Kevin Moore from around the time Chroma Key's You Go Now was released: https://www.oocities.org/hume2112/chromakeyint.html To my surprise he seemed pretty comfortable talking about DT:

KM: By email, occasionally. But, we’ve pretty much gone our own way, I’d say. For the most part.

2112: Do you resent the fact that a lot of people still know you from Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, the player on Images and Words and Awake? Or are you happy you still have that legacy attached to your name?

KM: If people don’t know me as Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, people don’t know me. It’s either that or nothing (chuckles). It’s not like Chroma Key is huge. I really don’t have a problem with the Dream Theater thing at all. I mean, I’m happy with the work I did with Dream Theater. We did some interesting stuff.

KM: I don’t know. I think the best sounding album is Images and Words. I think my sound is better on Awake, even though I hate the mix. The mix is terrible on Awake. But I like the sounds used on Awake better.

2112: Are you glad that Dream Theater recorded “Space Dye Vest”? I read an interview with Mike (Portnoy), and he said that if he had known you were leaving, they wouldn’t have recorded the song. Because it’s really your song, you wrote it. Are you glad you presented it to the band and it ended up on Awake?

KM: Yeah. I’m glad because that song kind of helped indicate the direction I was going to go with Chroma Key. Because that song might fit on a Chroma Key album. So it really gave people a hint, and I’m really just talking about Dream Theater fans, what kind of music I was going to be doing. Once they found out I left, they had that song to refer to.

Earlier in the interview he also talked about the SDV lyrics and about practising keyboards when he was in DT.

I wonder what happened after 2000 and made him avoid having anything to do with Dream Theater... Was it MP's negative comments on him or did he simply get bored about being referred to as "ex-DT keyboardist"?

Can anyone help find this interview in full?  It seems the link has expired.  I tried to WayBack Machine, but no luck. :/

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »

Can anyone help find this interview in full?  It seems the link has expired.  I tried to WayBack Machine, but no luck. :/
Weird, Wayback works at least for me: https://web.archive.org/web/20160422011553/https://www.oocities.org/hume2112/chromakeyint.html

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 04:47:58 AM »
YOU ARE WRONG!

rumborak
:lol I remember the time when you signed all your posts like that. What was the point to that anyway, and why'd you stop?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 07:49:28 AM »
Weird, Wayback works at least for me: https://web.archive.org/web/20160422011553/https://www.oocities.org/hume2112/chromakeyint.html

Thank you!  I swear I tried multiple times last night, lol.  Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:31:29 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »
YOU ARE WRONG!

rumborak
:lol I remember the time when you signed all your posts like that. What was the point to that anyway, and why'd you stop?

When I started posting on forums in general, I felt "signing" it was the appropriate thing to do. I think initially my posts were fewer but longer, so there was maybe a bit of "here's what I have to say" in it. After a while it of course become a signature thing for me, so I kept going. And eventually I got really tired of it :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »
rumborak
:lol *drops mic*

Oh, yeah, and you also had a pineapple in your ear.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:44:25 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »
Always loved the atmosphere he created in DT, something which Sherinian didn't follow thoroughly but still was somehow faithful to it–with much more groove, tho–and which Rudess tore apart  :facepalm:

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
Man. I would love to hear Kevin's opinion on the whole MP leaving thing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 04:18:44 PM »

I'm going to guess his opinion is something like this:  "Cool.  Whatever."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »

Blabbermouth: Ex-Dream Theater keyboardist thinks its cool Mike Portnoy left the band.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evai

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
Kevins opinion on MP leaving - "I need something smaller"

He doesn't make much sense
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »

Blabbermouth: Ex-Dream Theater keyboardist thinks its cool Mike Portnoy left the band.
MP: It's UNCANNY how KM is so ungrateful and rude after all *I* did for him and the band. Is he still even a thing???

Someone: Hey, MP! He actually was pretty cool about it.

MP: ... but I already put out my press release
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
Damn, I remember when the year "2000" felt so new and future-like. It was even hard to say it was the year 2000, not 1999. Now it's 12 years ago. Damn  :justjen

Damn, I remember when the year 2000 being 12 years ago felt so new and future-like. It was hard to even say that 2000 was 12 years ago, not 11 years ago. Now it's been 6 years since 2000 was 12 years ago. Damn  :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。