Author Topic: Heretic's Top 50 Albums v. The DTForums Are Raging Inside Me  (Read 15769 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Heretic's Top 50 Albums v. The DTForums Are Raging Inside Me
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Welcome to Heretic's
TOP 50 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

Alright, I guess it's my turn, now, so here we go. What I would call my favorite 50 albums of all time, totally my opinion and whatnot. I know some of you will enjoy the list more than others, but hopefully it'll be a fun ride for all. Artists do repeat themselves a few times, and I'm sure my top 5 will be pretty predictable, but in any case, let's get going! Before we start the list, here's a few albums that didn't quite make the cut, but are awesome in any case.

Agalloch - The Mantle
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Alter Bridge - Blackbird
As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus
Boston - Boston
Ever Forthright - Ever Forthright
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance
Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold
A Lot Like Birds - Conversation Piece
Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam
Mastodon - Leviathan
Protest the Hero - Kezia
The Devil Wears Prada - Zombie EP
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Cloudkicker - Let Yourself Be Huge
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Coheed and Cambria - GAI
The Tallest Man on Earth - Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird EP
Sigur Ros - ( )

In just a bit I'll update with 3 albums, hopefully I can update at least once a day.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:15:02 PM by Heretic »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Heretic's Top 50 Albums v. complete heresy!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »
Really looking forward to the list, I think you have an awesome taste in music.  :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
Really looking forward to the list, I think you have an awesome taste in music.  :tup

Thanks! You already know I feel the same about your musical taste as well!

In any case, here we go:

50. Kvelertak - Kvelertak

I was introduced to these guys through my friend Dark Castle, of course, and their album is one album that makes you want to grab a bunch of drinks, kick back, learn Norwegian, and have a blast. Every song is heavy, upbeat, and the songs have this classic rock feeling mixed with punk and black metal which just makes for an awesome conglomeration. I mean, seriously, any band that begins and ends their debut album by shouting their band name in unison is bound to be awesome. Plus, the lyrics apparently deal with Norse mythology, and, while you can't tell what they are saying, it's still pretty great.

Favorite songs: Fossegrim, Blodtřrst, Utrydd dei Svake

49. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum

While this may be a collection of EPs, it's longer than most albums released, and therefore I feel that, due to it being fantastic, it definitely belongs here on my list. While a good number of the songs aren't the best thing the band has done, many of them are among the top songs, and it's definitely a landmark release for Casey. While the Green EP is my favorite, all of the EPs are well done and seem to suit their colors as best as possible. I definitely liked the different genres and experimentation showcased on this release, and I'd definitely like to see more of that in the next act, or whatever they decide to release next!

Favorite songs: The Canopy, Things That Hide Away, The Inheritance, She's Always Singing, Mandala, Progress, Home, I Couldn't Do it Alone, But There's Wolves?, Lillian

48. Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Counting Crows are a band that don't get much attention around here, and while that's to be expected, I do think more people should listen to this album. It's a really fantastic alternative rock offering, with everything from heartfelt and emotional lyrics to upbeat and catchy anthems, and overall, it's just a really nice album. "Mr. Jones" is probably one of their most popular songs, and it's always been one of my favorites. This album is a different kind of pick for me, but I really really enjoy it and it's been a staple ever since I heard it.

Favorite songs: Mr. Jones, Rain King, Round Here, Raining in Baltimore

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
Cool! I'll hang up and look for recs n stuff. :tup

Also the cover art for that Klevertak album is really awesome!! D:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
I really like that Counting Crows album.  Recovering the Satellites is a good one too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »
Cool! I'll hang up and look for recs n stuff. :tup

Also the cover art for that Klevertak album is really awesome!! D:

Thanks! Yeah that cover is fantastic, it's by John Baizley, who's also a member of the band Baroness. His art is pretty fantastic.

I really like that Counting Crows album.  Recovering the Satellites is a good one too.

Yeah I really like all of their albums, but August is my personal favorite. They really need to come out with some new material.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
Interesting start, The Color Spectrum is superb.
Checked out Kvelertak a while ago, but their album didn't do much for me on the first go, but I'm guessing that it requires a few spins, so I should probably spin it again. Haven't heard Counting Crows, but will check a few songs out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:28 AM »
You haven't heard Counting Crows?  Their big hit is Mr Jones, but they have lots of other great tracks too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »
You haven't heard Counting Crows?  Their big hit is Mr Jones, but they have lots of other great tracks too.

I actually recognized the song now when I listened to it, but the name "Counting Crows" doesn't tell me much. :P
Could have heard some songs by them when I was much younger, but nothing in latter years.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
Interesting start, The Color Spectrum is superb.
Checked out Kvelertak a while ago, but their album didn't do much for me on the first go, but I'm guessing that it requires a few spins, so I should probably spin it again. Haven't heard Counting Crows, but will check a few songs out.

Yeah, Kvelertak was definitely a grower, but once you start paying attention to all the crazy riffage and whatnot, it really starts to come together. It's an awesome album. Counting Crows are very good, you should definitely check out the album I mentioned.

This update is strictly post-rock, coincidentally. I guess most of my favorite post-rock albums weren't albums that made such a significant impact on me that they warrant incredibly high spots, but they're all still fantastic albums that I love.

47. God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

God is an Astronaut is one of those bands who makes consistent, very well made post-rock. I enjoy all of their albums to some extent, but All is Violent, All is Bright is their best release in my opinion, using the basic post-rock formula of building up to climaxes and making ethereal soundscapes. Overall, the entire album holds my attention and fills my ears with beautiful music.

Favorite songs: All is Violent, All is Bright, Remembrance Day, Forever Lost, When Everything Dies

46. Sigur Ros - Međ suđ í eyrum viđ spilum endalaust

Most everyone's favorite Sigur Ros album is either ( ), AB, or Takk... well, I guess I'm the odd man out on that one. This album showcases my favorite of Sigur Ros' work, slightly edging out ( ) as my favorite. 'Ara Batur' is definitely my favorite song the band has ever written, and the album is consistently beautiful. I love all of Sigur Ros' work, but Međ takes the cake for me.

Favorite songs: Ara Batur, Illgressi, Festival, Straumnes

45. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

And here we have Godspeed's best work in my opinion. While their previous album showcased the end of the world recorded on soundtrack, Skinny Fists surpasses that in my opinion. Godspeed's songs are usually very long and in parts, much like orchestrated works, and I find that they are definitely one of the premiere post-rock bands. Skinny Fists, like F#A#∞, uses samples to further add atmosphere to the work, and it is done perfectly. I really hope we'll hear some new music from these guys soon, as they are definitely one of my favorites.

Favorite songs: All of them

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »
3 amazing picks. While "Med sud" is only my 4th favorite SR-album, it's still very solid.
The other two are albums I consider to be the best by their respective bands, and pioneer/classic albums that should be notorious for every Post-Rock fan to have, so two amazing picks there as well.  :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 06:00:04 AM »
Thanks Zantera :tup

44. Maybeshewill - I Was Here For a Moment, Then I Was Gone

Maybeshewill is another post-rock band who makes beautiful music. My list has a lot of post-rock on it, yes, I know, but it's one of my favorite genres ever, and I'm a sucker for well done, beautiful instrumental music... This album was released last year and it has quickly become one of my favorite instrumental albums to listen to. The usage of piano, violin, etc. really adds to the beauty of the music.

Favorite songs: Red Paper Lanterns, Accolades, To the Skies From a Hillside

43. Protest the Hero - Fortress

While I love every album Protest the Hero has put out, Fortress is most certainly my favorite. Why? The album features a maturing from their sound on Kezia, combined with fantastic songwriting, and the typical chaotic yet melodious structures. I adore Rody's vocals here, him using his vast vocal range, going from high pitched wails to low death-growls and everything in between. I first heard the band from the song "Sequoia Throne," and while I didn't pay much attention to their other stuff, I loved that song. Eventually, I checked out Fortress and Kezia (and Scurrilous when it came out) and I was hooked. Awesome band, awesome album.

Favorite songs: Sequoia Throne, Bloodmeat, Bone Marrow, Palms Read

42. Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

The first Porcupine Tree album to appear, Lightbulb Sun! Despite preferring the latter half of Steven Wilson's work, I have to give a lot of credit to the pre-In Absentia days, as both Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, and Signify are great albums. I love the focus on songwriting on Lightbulb Sun as well. The album contains some of my favorite PT songs, such as The Rest Will Flow, Feel So Low, Shesmovedon, Russia On Ice, the title track, and so forth. The album is truly beautiful and simplistic, and it definitely sits near the top of my PT album rankings. Hopefully Steven Wilson can find the same magic he had on this and Stupid Dream on the next PT album!

Favorite songs: The Rest Will Flow, Feel So Low, Lightbulb Sun, Shesmovedon, Russia On Ice

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:19:26 AM »
Maybeshewill and Porcupine Tree!  :tup
Two great albums right there, I've also been meaning to check out Fortress for a long time, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 06:33:22 AM »
Awesome, a fellow God Is An Astronaut fan!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
Lightbulb Sun, TDH and Sigur Ros  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »
Nice!  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Thanks, guys! Sorry I'm slow with the updates. I have swim practice, soccer open gyms, lots of school work, and art projects and whatnot. Anyways:

41. Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow

A lot of C&C fans don't really like this album or think it's on the lower spectrum of their best albums, but it's honestly my second favorite by these guys. It was the first album by them I heard in full and loved (after the vocals grew on me) and though eventually I grew to like a different record by them even more, I still enjoy this one immensely. Combining catchy choruses and hooks with prog elements and armed with one of the most unique voices in the industry, Coheed really made a pretty awesome album. Honestly, GAI has grown on me and almost surpassed this album, and it's entirely possible it will before the end of the year, but ah well. 

Favorite songs: Mother Superior, Feathers, The Running Free, No World For Tomorrow

40. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Bon Iver is a poetic name in itself. Looking it up, you'll find that it's French for something along the lines of "good winter." Winter is a good definition for the sound of a lot of his music, actually. This album in particular has less of the "cold" feeling his previous album, For Emma, Forever Ago, had, as it adds more warm instrumentation and whatnot, but the beauty captured on the previous album is captured here, and in an even better way. Justin Vernon's voice is one that some love and some hate, and personally while I don't think it's the best voice out there, it suits the music pretty well and adds to the beauty of it, so it works. Bon Iver is a good example of an artist who has caught mainstream attention and who deserves it completely, in my opinion.

Favorite songs: Holocene, Beth/Rest, Towers, Calgary

39. Sleepmakeswaves - ...and so we destroyed everything

More post-rock? GTFO Heretic.

Seriously, though, this is my second-to-last post-rock album on this list! I promise! Sleepmakeswaves are actually my favorite band in the post-rock genre at the moment. I love every piece of music they've released, and, although they've only released one album, it was great enough to be included on this list. When I want to listen to post-rock, this is basically my go-to album for it, and my go-to album for introducing people to the genre. Every piece of music on this album is lush, beautiful, and moving. There's a few vocals, and samples as well, and they're both used fantastically. Everything about the album works. Even the cover matches the music, somehow. If not for one more post-rock album, it'd be my favorite of the genre, and could be my favorite in time to come. Definitely check it out if you're a fan of the genre and haven't heard it yet.

Favorite songs: a gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, to you they are birds, to me they are voices in the forest, (hello) cloud mountain, ...and so we destroyed everything

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
I really dig this list so far man, very similar tastes to my own!  Your list of albums that didn't quite make the cut is full of great stuff, so I'm eager to see what else actually made the list.

Very interesting that you prefer Good Apollo vol. 2 to vol. 1, very uncommon in Coheed fans as you said.  It's a great album, as are all of Coheed's album, but I do prefer vol. 1 in every way.  You mentioned that vol.1 is still growing on you so maybe in time you will see the light  :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
Loving your list!  Glad to see Kvelertak on it  :P  Definitely following this!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »
Interesting update, though I never really got into Coheed.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 02:02:33 AM »
41. Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow

A lot of C&C fans don't really like this album or think it's on the lower spectrum of their best albums,

A lot of Coheed fans are silly poopheads.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
I really dig this list so far man, very similar tastes to my own!  Your list of albums that didn't quite make the cut is full of great stuff, so I'm eager to see what else actually made the list.

Very interesting that you prefer Good Apollo vol. 2 to vol. 1, very uncommon in Coheed fans as you said.  It's a great album, as are all of Coheed's album, but I do prefer vol. 1 in every way.  You mentioned that vol.1 is still growing on you so maybe in time you will see the light  :P

haha, thanks man! I appreciate it. Yes perhaps it will become my 2nd favorite... there's no way it's beating one other album, though...

A lot of C&C fans don't really like this album or think it's on the lower spectrum of their best albums,

A lot of Coheed fans are silly poopheads.

Yeah, I hear there's this one guy who doesn't even like Mother Superior at all! :lol

BROWN ALBUM ART UPDATE.

38. The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading

While The Color Spectrum reared its head a bit back in my list, there's still one more album by TDH that I feel tops it; Act II is an album that basically perfects their sound, full of melodic, catchy songs, fantastic musicianship, and entertaining lyrics. It took me a while to learn to love the music, and once Red Hands clicked with me, it became one of my favorite songs ever. Casey has a really good voice, and he's just overall a really talented dude. I can't wait to see what cards he plays next.

Favorite songs: Red Hands, Black Sandy Beaches, Evicted, The Lake and the River

37. Scale the Summit - The Collective

Scale the Summit are an interesting band-- they're basically just an instrumental prog metal band, but they're so much more. Adding ambience and almost post-rock influences in their work, Scale the Summit creates a sound that a lot of instrumental bands don't have. This album in particular I find to be their best work, perfecting their sound overall and creating a wonderful atmosphere throughout all of their songs. Some of the songs do make me wonder what they'd sound like with vocals, as at times I even get a BTBAM feeling from the songs. The Collective, in summary, is fantastic. Check it out if you haven't. They've also just released a new song to go with the album on vinyl, called Redwoods, and it's really really good.

Favorite songs: Whales, Gallows, Black Hills, Alpenglow

36. Haken - Visions

When I first listened to Aquarius by Haken, I really liked it, but there were a good number of aspects that made me feel like the album could be improved, by a lot. Visions does this. It removes overly circus-like sections when they're uncalled for, the harsh vocals that seemed so out of place are gone, and everything just seems more cohesive and works together. The concept is one that works for the album, and, though it's hard to tell what's happening lyrically at times, the lyrics are still solid and fit the music. Deathless is perhaps one of my favorite songs of 2011. Overall, the album is full of fantastic progressive metal music, and I can't wait to see where these guys go, as this is only their second offering.

Favorite songs: Deathless, Nocturnal Conspiracy, The Mind's Eye, Visions

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Heretic's Top 50 Albums v. Welp.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
TDH  :metal
Haken :2metal:

Those are great choices. Visions makes it into my top 50 as well.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
The Dear Hunter is a great pick. Act II is my favorite, so it's really nice to see it on the list. Took a few spins to fully appreciate it, but it became my favorite after 3-4 spins perhaps, slightly more consistent and with higher highs then the other Act-albums.
Scale the Summit was actually on my radar through all of 2011 since I heard good things about that album, but I never got around to checking it out. Not sure why, I'm quite the Post-Rock lover, but from what I read it was more instrumental Prog then Post-Rock, so I guess I lost some interest due to that. Will probably check it out eventually though.

Haken is a band that I don't quite like to be honest. My dad has both their albums and so I've heard them both in the car. I'll admit that I enjoyed Visions more then I had expected, though it still didn't do much for me. Aquarius on the other hand represented everything I don't like with Prog Metal, lots of long songs where I felt consistency wasn't included. There were lots of twists and turns, and I felt the songs lacked identity, there was no link in the songs, the beginning and the outro and everything in between was just a blur. Visions was slightly better on that hand, but I don't really care for that particular style of Progressive Metal anymore. Probably because I'm not much of a solo-person, so when the trademark guitar/keyboard-solos and all that kick in, I get bored. :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
TDH  :metal
Haken :2metal:

Those are great choices. Visions makes it into my top 50 as well.

Both do in mine.
Awesome update!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline adace

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
Haken and Scale the Summit  :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
Hell yeah TDH and Haken!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Haken! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the horns, guys, I appreciate it. I was performing in a regional swim meet today (we did fantastic!) and so I will try and update tomorrow.

@Zantera: yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the typical "prog metal" sounding bands, but Dream Theater and Haken pretty much sit atop my favorites as I feel they are the best of the genre and perform the music quite well. Then again, I didn't really think that about Haken until Visions because of the same problems you mentioned with Aquarius.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »
I suck with this whole "update frequently" thing. I hope I don't become like one of those lists that are lost in ether, that's a scary place, man.

35. Periphery - Periphery

Periphery is a band that initially I thought was alright, but grew on me, a lot. Their self-titled debut is absolutely glorious. Whether or not you like calling "djent" a genre, the band has been labeled that, and while I'm not a huge fan of the term, I do think their music stands out of the crowd of music that sounds similar to it (i.e. Textures, Ever Forthright, Volumes, etc.) While I have a feeling they are going to showcase a more progressive metal and creative sound on their forthcoming albums, I still love the sounds here and therefore it makes my top albums of all time.

Favorite songs: Jetpacks Was Yes!, Racecar, Letter Experiment, Icarus Lives

34. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

Time for the haters to hate, dawgs! ADTOE is my third favorite DT album, and the first to be showcased on this list. From the first time I heard it, I had a feeling it would solidify itself somewhere near the top of my rankings, and after having a good while to let it sink in, I'm certain it's one of their best. Whether or not you like it, it's hard to deny that the album is a return to DT's progressive roots and is a refreshing album. Breaking All Illusions is perhaps my 3rd favorite song they've ever done, and Beneath the Surface is top 10 material as well. Every song is a pleasure to listen to, in my opinion, and I can't wait to see where they go with Mangini from here on out!

Favorite songs: Breaking All Illusions, Beneath the Surface, Bridges in the Sky, On the Backs of Angels

33. Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

And here we have my favorite post-rock album of all time. (Yes, this is the last post-rock album to make this list, you can stop pointing and laughing now.) Hymn to the Immortal Wind was my pick for the DTF album of the week thread, and here's what I had to say about it there:

"I don't know how many of you have heard this album here (I'm sure Zantera has ) but upon first listen, Hymn to the Immortal Wind completely blew me away. For those who aren't familiar with post-rock, Mono is a Japanese band who does the genre very well, especially on this album.  While a ton of post-rock bands have violins, pianos, etc. on their albums, Mono went balls to the wall with this album and hired an entire orchestra to make the album sound like an immaculate work of art. And, that it does! The instrumental post-rock sound is there, but it is enhanced by the orchestrated sounds. The entire album has a feeling of majesty to it, and I feel like even if you're not a huge fan of post-rock, if you can appreciate beautiful music, you can appreciate this album. I know it isn't the most obscure thing possible to pick as my album of the week, but it's an album that I've been listening to constantly over the past few weeks and I'm hoping some of you might feel the same way I do about it."

And that's about it. It's a beautiful, beautiful album, and the staple of the post-rock genre for me. Check it out.

Favorite songs: All of them

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
Haken took out all the silly circus parts, you say?  That's a good start.  I might have to give the new one a listen then. 

Offline adace

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:30 AM »
Love that Mono album. Will be on my list as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:28 AM »
Mono and Periphery!  :hefdaddy

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »
I haven't checked out Mono but I'll have to give it a listen.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Haken took out all the silly circus parts, you say?  That's a good start.  I might have to give the new one a listen then. 

Yeah, it's toned down a good bit on Visions. I love it a lot, it'd probably rank higher if I did this list in a few months from now.

Anyways:

32. Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Mastodon have become one of my favorite bands in the last few months and Crack the Skye is what started it all. This album is a concept album done to a T, and it's definitely a staple of the prog genre. It differs from their older stuff in many ways, but still manages to sound like Mastodon, and, an improved Mastodon at that. The concept is one that is hard to follow at times, and you can read about it online, but half of the time you are lost in the wonder of the mystical sounds of the music rather than paying any attention to the storyline. I've yet to hear anything like this album in terms of atmosphere, and it's definitely one of Mastodon's best.

Favorite songs: The Czar, Oblivion, Quintessence, The Last Baron

31. 30 Seconds to Mars - This is War

This album is a strange one to be on this list, and I'll probably get a few "lol"'s, but I don't really give a flip. I don't really like any of the bands' material prior to this album and I don't really ever listen to this anymore these days, but when it came out in early 2010 I couldn't get enough of it. The album is full of anthem-rock songs, some almost progressive in nature, and all very catchy and full of energy. The album showcases a heavy usage of a boy choir, which adds to the whimsical feeling of freedom some of the songs capture. Even the more darker songs don't entertain depressing lyrics or atmosphere; the whole album in a nutshell is a call to arms, and is just a very interesting, catchy album.

Favorite songs: Closer to the Edge, This is War, Kings and Queens, Hurricane

30. August Burns Red - Leveler

August Burns Red are my favorite metalcore band, if you don't count BTBAM as metalcore (I personally don't.) In any case, Leveler is an album that shows ABR progressing as a band and maturing in many ways; no longer settling for typical breakdowns or basic song structures, the songs on Leveler are in many ways experimental, interesting, and differ from the genre in many ways. Salt & Light in particular is a song that's unlike any ABR have done before, featuring an unusual song structure, and choir vocals at the end-- not to mention, the song is uplifting in nature, something the metalcore genre doesn't see often. In fact, the album itself features more riffs in the major key, and more songs that contain happier-sounding sections. Overall, the album is a great step forward for the band, and seals their place at the top of metalcore's foodchain.

Favorite songs: Salt & Light, Carpe Diem, Pangaea, Internal Cannon