Poll

question

yes
125 (80.6%)
no
30 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Do you think they'll play A Change of Seasons ever again?  (Read 8052 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Do you think they'll play A Change of Seasons ever again?
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »
I don't know why everyone is wanting them to play the MP lyrics so badly.  Most of those songs have been played a substantial amount of time.  I'd rather hear them dust off something like Anna Lee.  James LaBrie wrote the lyrics, so it's not completely a Derek song.  They should bring that back into the set-list.
That would be cool, but ACOS is almost a fan favorite for every DT. Or at least the very overwhelming majority. Anna Lee, however, is not near that status unfortunately.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
Ignoring the lyrics thing, I doubt they'll play it too often just because of the song length. It's a pretty big chunk out of the set that they could use more effectively for other songs.

lol not necessarily

tbh I find ACOS to be pretty overrated. It's good, but it's nowhere near top 20 for me. I could easily name two songs from the past decade I'd rather hear than having that time spent on ACOS. Not that I'd complain hearing ACOS, as I do like it, but as I said, they could use that time a lot more effectively.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
I don't think so. But I would love to see this.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
I don't see why playing it would be a problem. It's not like SDV where they considered the song to be a Kevin Moore song. Even if the lyrics were MP's, the song is the band's as well. And even if it weren't, Dream Theater takes what they play seriously. I don't know why it'd be disrespectful to give a spectacular performance to a beautiful song.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »
My view: they will play it again, or rather they won't not play it again (if that makes any sense?). I don't think it would be a concious removal from the bucket of play-able tracks - unlike some others.

Also call me uninitiated, but why are some suggesting they will play it sans Carpe Diem?

Also also, I also do not have it in me top 20; comes in at 23 IIRC.

EDIT: lolwut that grey hair I found the other day must be a sign of things to come, its actually at #12.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:53 AM »
Also call me uninitiated, but why are some suggesting they will play it sans Carpe Diem?

IMO, there really isn't anything to "get."  It was just one person who made an off-the-wall suggestion that they do it that way.  Don't worry.  The rest of us realize that that makes no sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
I sure hope so.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm with Riceball and others who have said that I see no reason why they would consciously remove it from the play list.  However, with 11 albums worth of material, it's hard to work a 23-minute song into a 2-hour set, so I wouldn't expect to see it much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline majo

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
since I consider it their best song and ultimate masterpiece I really hope they will... and I'd love to be there personally  :tup
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
Let's just hope they don't play certain songs, like TMOLS.

Why the hate? :(

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »

He's Jamesman  :lol and also jsut a matter of opinion.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline eosforum

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »
They're definitely play it again in the future. And I bet it would be chosen as the last song of their last show's setlist.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm with Riceball and others who have said that I see no reason why they would consciously remove it from the play list.  However, with 11 albums worth of material, it's hard to work a 23-minute song into a 2-hour set, so I wouldn't expect to see it much.

^This.

Because it is one of their weaker songs, coupled with the fact that I don't think it would be a great song to see live.  Take Prophets of War, another song that isn't A or B material on the DT scale, but at least live it was a fun song and can get the crowd going.  TMOLS couldn't do that unless they had naked swimsuit models on stage, and even then it might be a stretch.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
TMOLS has some neat ideas, but I find it to be long for the sake of being long.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
TMOLS has some neat ideas, but I find it to be long for the sake of being long.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »
A Change of Seasons is the culmination of DT's early musical career, and the best thing they've ever done.

I sure as hell would like them to keep playing it. I see no reason they shouldn't.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
I'm positive the band haven't looked at that song and said "ok, we're never playing that or any other MP-written songs ever again."  Its one of their most popular songs, but as Bosk said, with 11 albums worth of material to fit into a 2/2.5 hour show its kind of a long shot that we'll see it soon. 

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
I don't care if it gets played ever again, I just hope it doesn't get played at a show that I am at. I dislike A Change of Seasons very much, not even in my top 50.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
GTFO
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
I don't care if it gets played ever again, I just hope it doesn't get played at a show that I am at. I dislike A Change of Seasons very much, not even in my top 50.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
lol wut
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Millais

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
not in the immediate future, but yes, I can see it be played again.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
ACOS just doesn't do anything for me, I can't wait to skip it when it comes up on my iPod

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
ACOS just doesn't do anything for me, I can't wait to skip it when it comes up on my iPod
Not sure if sarcasm.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

*hits with chair*

Offline lithium112

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »

Hey, that's valid. A friend of mine who was only a casual DT listener liked a bunch of their songs but said that ACOS never clicked for him. I mean, I personally don't agree but I resisted punching him in the face. :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
For the non-fans of ACOS - do you have a distaste for longer piece/epics? I know some fans of metal might not be fans of prog, and therefore are not likely to engage in the band's longer pieces.

If not, then what is it about ACOS that sets it apart from DT's other longer songs? And which of their epics DO you like?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
... Why is it on your iPod if you don't like it?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
For the non-fans of ACOS - do you have a distaste for longer piece/epics? I know some fans of metal might not be fans of prog, and therefore are not likely to engage in the band's longer pieces.

If not, then what is it about ACOS that sets it apart from DT's other longer songs? And which of their epics DO you like?

-Marc.

No, I love every other one of DT's longer songs, Six Degrees is a top 3-5 song. ACOS just has never clicked for me, I listen to it frequently, I give it every chance to make me love it, but I just can't get into it. Nothing about it appeals to me to be honest, except for one like 20 second section, but I don't feel like going through to timestamp it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »

-Marc.

Can't it just be a matter of personal opinion? Some songs just don't grab some people like others do, even when there's a common majority opinion on the song. There doesn't need to be some reason to explain it away.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 12:35:41 AM »

-Marc.

Can't it just be a matter of personal opinion? Some songs just don't grab some people like others do, even when there's a common majority opinion on the song. There doesn't need to be some reason to explain it away.

I'm not saying it couldn't be, nor did I mean to imply as such, so I apologize if I did, but I was just wondering if there was any correlation at all. Then again, I'm one of those easy-to-please fans, who will likely enjoy anything a favorite artists puts out, at least, given with time. I'll be honest, i didn't like half of Awake or Falling Into Infinity when I got around to listening to them my first few times, but loved Images And Words and Scenes From A Memory, but I guess it just goes to show how one band can create music so varied that it can touch many different kinds of fans in different ways, and not all just be one kind of music to please one kind of fan.

In fact, I might be scared if they created a song, one day, that EVERY Dream Theater fan would like, regardless of prior tastes and opinions. They could unite the world with such a song...unfortunately, Bill & Ted have already/will eventually create said song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 12:46:40 AM »
I'm not saying it couldn't be, nor did I mean to imply as such, so I apologize if I did, but I was just wondering if there was any correlation at all. Then again, I'm one of those easy-to-please fans, who will likely enjoy anything a favorite artists puts out, at least, given with time. I'll be honest, i didn't like half of Awake or Falling Into Infinity when I got around to listening to them my first few times, but loved Images And Words and Scenes From A Memory, but I guess it just goes to show how one band can create music so varied that it can touch many different kinds of fans in different ways, and not all just be one kind of music to please one kind of fan.

In fact, I might be scared if they created a song, one day, that EVERY Dream Theater fan would like, regardless of prior tastes and opinions. They could unite the world with such a song...unfortunately, Bill & Ted have already/will eventually create said song.

-Marc.

I wasn't accusing you of generalizing, I'm just used to my opinions being on the side of requiring some justification other than just "because". :lol
SDOIT is my favourite DT song, so I have no problem with song length. I'm not really a prog fan, so that may play into it, although there are only a very small group of DT songs that this has really affected my opinion (LTL, Scarred). I couldn't really give a reason I don't rank it higher other than the songwriting just doesn't grab me like their other songs do.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
I'm usually the easy-to-please type as well, but the only songs I really can't get into are ACOS and pretty much all of Awake, two "fan-favorites".

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
I sure hope so. It's definitely more likely than Space-Dye Vest and The Best of Times
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.