Poll

question

yes
125 (80.6%)
no
30 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Do you think they'll play A Change of Seasons ever again?  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Ħ

Do you think they'll play A Change of Seasons ever again?
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »
Will we ever see it again? It's a favorite for almost everyone. It's an epic. It pretty much dominated their setlists in the first half of their career. But it's also one of MP's most personal songs. So...do you think we will see it?

I would love to say that we would...but something is telling me that we won't.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline John94

Re: Do you think they'll play A Change of Seasons ever again?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Not as a whole. Wouldn't surprise me if Crimson Sunrise/Innocence/Darkest of Winters/Inevitable Summer appear at some poinyt but I can't imagine Carpe Diem being played, so yeah, not as a whole song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
Reunion concert (which I don't imagine will *never* happen...if Pink Floyd did it, *anything* is possible) will include the 12 step suite and ACOS. 

So *EVER* AGAIN?   Yes..
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
Yes, they most certainly will.

LALALACANTHEARYOU
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
Yes, they most certainly will.

LALALACANTHEARYOU
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
Post-MP DT has played The Root of All Evil, and any of the Twelve-step songs, in my eyes, are as personal to MP as ACOS is. Not to mention that it's a DT classic, a concert staple, and their first full-scale epic. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if ACOS were never played again (or until a Reunion concert which is getting less likely by the day).

If you want MP's "Space-Dye Vest", look no further than "The Best of Times".

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »
ACOS might lyrically be an MP song but it's very much a Dream Theater song. The Best Of Times is way more of a MP song than ACOS.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Ignoring the lyrics thing, I doubt they'll play it too often just because of the song length. It's a pretty big chunk out of the set that they could use more effectively for other songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
  It pretty much dominated their setlists in the first half of their career.

It did?  I would check your history on that one. :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
I figured it did.  They played it a lot for the IaW tour, didn't they?  And it's on the live releases that followed FII and SFAM.  So I figured they played it as their "epic".  It was the only epic they had, after all.  But maybe I'm wrong; I didn't actually check the setlists.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
Setlist Scotty can verify this, but I think the only tours it was a regular on was the 1995 tour and then it was played in pieces on the Touring into Infinity tour.  It was played for the Live Scenes show, but I don't think it was played very much that year other than that show.  It also got the every other show treatment (for the most part) on the Train of Thought tour.  I think that was the last time it was played regularly, or maybe even at all.

Anyway, I do think they will play it again, but not sure it will ever be regularly featured again.  With them liking the 2 hour plus shows again, as opposed to the monster 3 hour ones, dedicating 23 minutes to one song doesn't seem like something they would probably do on a regular basis.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »
I figured it did.  They played it a lot for the IaW tour, didn't they?  And it's on the live releases that followed FII and SFAM.  So I figured they played it as their "epic".  It was the only epic they had, after all.  But maybe I'm wrong; I didn't actually check the setlists.
I think they only played it once on the I&W Tour, which I believe is the 3/4/93 show that was released on Ytse Jam Records as the "Dream Bill" show. That was also the ACOS '93 version, which is very much different from the EP version.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »

You mean the 20-minute version? IIRC, it was only played four times, one being the NYC Show from 3/4/93.

Three clicks on the browser later...

https://mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/searchresults.asp?criteria=A+Change+Of+Seasons&in=song

6/9/1990           Bayshore, Long Island, NY   A Change of Seasons (original version)
11/17/1990   Bayshore, Long Island, NY   A Change of Seasons (original version)
3/4/1993           New York, NY   A Change of Seasons (original version)
4/12/1993   Bonn, Germany   A Change of Seasons (original version)

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:33:51 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
Well okay. I stand corrected. Should have done my research. But still. It would be a tragedy to never see it again.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »

They only played it twice on the I&W tour (as explicitly stated in Lifting Shadows).   They also played it twice at their some instrumental only gigs in 1990 when they were between singers (I used to have a boot of one of those shows, but sadly I have lost it :'( ), and they would play instrumental segments of it when Charlie was in the band.  Those are the only times the song was played before the release of the EP.

Post-release, ACOS got it's own mini-tour, where the song was played every night in full.  It was also played in segments on the FII tour, and as a whole on the tours for both SFAM and TOT.  Since the ToT tour, I do not believe it has been played at all.

As for whether or not we will here the song again, I believe we will, with or without Portnoy.  As has been pointed out, while the lyrics may be MP, the song was written by the band as a whole, and it is as much their song as it is his.  In fact, I would think that any MP songs they have been playing for years and years would be on the table for a setlist, since overtime I'm certain the band has come to think of them as simply "Our songs" rather then "Mike's songs".  The only MP songs I can see them not wanting to play without him are The Shattered Fortress and The Best of Times because those were never played when he was in the band and I doubt they would want to debut them without him.  But other then those two, I think any Portnoy songs should be considered free game for concerts.

It was played for the Live Scenes show, but I don't think it was played very much that year other than that show. 

Actually, according to MP's tourography, it was played quite a bit on the SFAM tour............

7/15/2000   Milan, Italy   A Change Of Seasons:
7/16/2000   Rome, Italy   A Change Of Seasons:
8/4/2000   Philadelphia, PA   A Change of Seasons:
8/5/2000   Washington, DC   A Change of Seasons:
8/7/2000   Cincinnati, OH   A Change of Seasons:
8/9/2000   Detroit, MI   A Change of Seasons:
8/10/2000   Chicago, IL   A Change of Seasons:
8/11/2000   Milwaukee, WI   A Change of Seasons:
8/12/2000   Minneapolis, MN   A Change of Seasons:
8/14/2000   Denver, CO   A Change of Seasons:
8/16/2000   San Francisco, CA   A Change of Seasons:
8/18/2000   San Diego, CA   A Change of Seasons:
8/19/2000   Phoenix, AZ   A Change of Seasons:
8/21/2000   Los Angeles, CA   A Change of Seasons:
8/23/2000   Houston, TX   A Change of Seasons:
8/24/2000   Dallas, TX   A Change of Seasons:
8/25/2000   New Orleans, LA   A Change of Seasons:
8/27/2000   Mexico City, Mexico   A Change of Seasons:
8/29/2000   Wallingford, CT   A Change of Seasons:
8/30/2000   New York, NY   A Change of Seasons:
10/2/2000   Lille, France   A Change of Seasons:
10/4/2000   Colombes, France   A Change of Seasons:
10/5/2000   Clermont Ferrand, France   A Change of Seasons:
10/6/2000   Mulhouse, France   A Change of Seasons:
10/7/2000   Stuttgart, Germany   A Change Of Seasons (w/ new solos and an extended guitar solo)
10/9/2000   Bydgoszcz, Poland   A Change of Seasons:
10/10/2000   Krakow, Poland   A Change of Seasons:
10/11/2000   Prague, Czech Republic   A Change of Seasons:
10/13/2000   Trier, Germany   A Change of Seasons:
10/14/2000   Den Bosch, Holland   A Change of Seasons:
10/16/2000   Bristol, England   A Change of Seasons:
10/17/2000   Sheffield, England   A Change of Seasons:
10/18/2000   Glasgow, Scotland   A Change of Seasons:
10/20/2000   Norwich, England   A Change of Seasons:
10/21/2000   London, England   A Change of Seasons:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:54:02 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »
I don't think MP's lyrics prevent it from being played: The Root of All Evil is back on the setlist and it's one of the many songs to deal with his alcoholism. However, ACOS is 23 minutes long so unfortunately I don't think they'll bring it back unless they start playing "Evening with" shows again - it'd take a huge portion of the set if they played it at a normal 2-hour show. The last time they played it at a show that didn't have 2 sets was on the SFAM tour and they have released many albums since then.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »
I think it will be played again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 04:41:34 AM »
Of course they will, why not?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 05:54:20 AM »
according to setlist (and a lot of dates are not there) the song has been played 79 times:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dream-theater-bd6a102.html?song=A+Change+of+Seasons

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 06:02:28 AM »
according to setlist (and a lot of dates are not there) the song has been played 79 times:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dream-theater-bd6a102.html?song=A+Change+of+Seasons
I have found setlist.fm not to be worth a shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lashie

• 6° of Inner Turbulence
  • The Count of Tuscany
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 07:58:28 AM »
No chance

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »

I have noticed they are worthless.  I'll look to check on a show I saw, and catch myself wondering"Did I really see this show?"

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:33 AM »

I have noticed they are worthless.  I'll look to check on a show I saw, and catch myself wondering"Did I really see this show?"

True, but recently their record of past DT shows has been unusually accurate.  I sometimes wonder if MP himself decided to set the records straight concerning What-Dream-Theater-Played-When on that site. :P

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »

You mean the 20-minute version? IIRC, it was only played four times, one being the NYC Show from 3/4/93.

Three clicks on the browser later...

https://mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/searchresults.asp?criteria=A+Change+Of+Seasons&in=song

6/9/1990           Bayshore, Long Island, NY   A Change of Seasons (original version)
11/17/1990   Bayshore, Long Island, NY   A Change of Seasons (original version)
3/4/1993           New York, NY   A Change of Seasons (original version)
4/12/1993   Bonn, Germany   A Change of Seasons (original version)

-Marc.

i saw them in rochester, ny around '93, and they played it start to finish.

it was awesome.  i hope they always keep it in rotation of some kind.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
It'll probably be played again, but maybe without Carpe Diem.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »

It was played for the Live Scenes show, but I don't think it was played very much that year other than that show. 

Actually, according to MP's tourography, it was played quite a bit on the SFAM tour............

Ah, okay.  I stand corrected.  I knew that the spring shows were mainly all of Scenes and then the WDADU/I&W medley, but I couldn't remember what they played for most of the summer and fall. 

It'll probably be played again, but maybe without Carpe Diem.

Playing ACOS without Carpe Diem would be pointless.  I get how Carpe Diem in particular is very personal to their former band member, but if they are gonna play the song, they need to be all in and play all of it, unless they decide to put parts of it in a medley, which probably isn't likely since JP is on record as hating medleys and won't have them "forced" upon him anymore. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »
Playing ACOS without Carpe Diem would be pointless.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
Ignoring the lyrics thing, I doubt they'll play it too often just because of the song length. It's a pretty big chunk out of the set that they could use more effectively for other songs.

lol not necessarily

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

lol not necessarily
This.  Having a 25-minute slot filled with ACOS is much better than cramming 2 or 3 other songs in that slot.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
The lyrics are more vague and artsy so this isn't even in the same ballpark as TBOT...so yes, I think it will be played again without MP

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
The lyrics are more vague and artsy so this isn't even in the same ballpark as TBOT...so yes, I think it will be played again without MP
There are more poetic and artful, but I don't think they are vague.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
Let's just hope they don't play certain songs, like TMOLS.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
I like that one OK, but I'd be alright if they never played it again.

Offline indalo

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Yes, I think (and I hope!) they will play it again  :hefdaddy

I like that one OK, but I'd be alright if they never played it again.
I've never heard it live and I like the song so I hope they play it live at least one more time... when I'm seeing them!  :lol
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »
I don't know why everyone is wanting them to play the MP lyrics so badly.  Most of those songs have been played a substantial amount of time.  I'd rather hear them dust off something like Anna Lee.  James LaBrie wrote the lyrics, so it's not completely a Derek song.  They should bring that back into the set-list.