Poll

how many?

69 (59.5%)
43 (37.1%)
as many as i want
4 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: How many spaces after a period? aka gadough, help me impress my english teacher  (Read 12702 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Haven't read the thread, but the correct answer is one. Two was correct for a type writer because every letter was the same width, so it looked better to have two spaces after a period. Now, with computers, letters are individualized, so we don't have to worry about unnecessary spaces after periods. Glad I could be of assistance.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
I've never even heard of using 2.

This. Who the hell puts two spaces after a period?

Yeah, these. I have never heard of using two space in my life.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
Always used 1 up here in Canada. 1 for the win, eh?

But you also say "zed", and have two official languages, so I don't really put much stock in Canadians opinions on English :)

"Zee" was a creation on the American dialect of English as far as I know.

thank you, that is precisely it
I'm actually sick of hearing "it's zee, not zed. why do you canadians always say it wrong?"

"zed" is the original (and perfectly valid!) pronunciation. "Zee" is just randomly made up by you americans a few hundred years ago after you decided to secede from England

edit: @ OP

I was taught in typing/computer class to always put two spaces after a period, but I've never done so. Never saw the point of it

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always wanted to pronounce it zed. It sounds cooler. It has balls. Zee sounds pussified in comparison.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I don't really see what zee problem is.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
One. I feel like having two spaces would get really annoying.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
I've always used two, since that's how I was learned.

• DT.net Member
I agree with ZedBomber
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I've always used two, since that's how I was learned.

Well now.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Always used 1 up here in Canada. 1 for the win, eh?

But you also say "zed", and have two official languages, so I don't really put much stock in Canadians opinions on English :)
Actually, you're the guys doing it wrong. :P

Also, like black_floyd, never heard 2 spaces ever.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 2000TH POST THE KING IN CRIMSON!!!

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
one.

two is for some sandbox bullshit.

tits.

• DT.net Member

zomg i didnt even knowtice!!!1111  :eek

Thanks man, I don't care what bosk says about you, you're alright.  :tup

• DT.net Member
2001st Post: A Crimson Odyssey

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
This is the first I've heard of two spaces. Sounds like some high school essay padding trick to me. Why waste two spaces? I just don't understand....

I just don't understand.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
This is the first I've heard of two spaces. Sounds like some high school essay padding trick to me. Why waste two spaces? I just don't understand....

I just don't understand.

if you read earlier posts, Cole (numbers) already mentioned why (albeit in a fairly conceited way, I might add)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Haven't read the thread, but the correct answer is one.  Two is correct for old fucks like lonestar who are so fucking old they learned on a typewriter and are too stubborn to change.  Glad I could be of assistance.

fix'd

Offline HarlequinForest

I was never even aware that only one space is grammatically acceptable.  I guess since I've never noticed so many people only use one space it doesn't matter one way or another.

(BTW, I'm only 23 and have never used a typewriter.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:23:26 AM by HarlequinForest »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard of two spaces ever. One space ftw.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Haven't read the thread, but the correct answer is one. Two was correct for a type writer because every letter was the same width, so it looked better to have two spaces after a period. Now, with computers, letters are individualized, so we don't have to worry about unnecessary spaces after periods. Glad I could be of assistance.
This is probably right.  When I was in school, typewriters were still used, so I learned 2 spaces.  I have always stuck with it, because I find it pleasing to the eye.  It sets off each sentence as its own separate unit which can be easily digested when reading quickly.  For me, one space gives the appearance of clutteredness.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
I've never even heard of using 2.

This. Who the hell puts two spaces after a period?

Yeah, these. I have never heard of using two space in my life.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

This is probably right.  When I was in school, typewriters were still used, so I learned 2 spaces.  I have always stuck with it, because I find it pleasing to the eye.  It sets off each sentence as its own separate unit which can be easily digested when reading quickly.  For me, one space gives the appearance of clutteredness.
Agreed.

I was told to use two spaces in high school and I find one space to be jarring nowadays.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
WTF who uses two?! It's like people who hit enter twice and leave a blank gap. Just adjust the paragraph spacing. No extra spaces! GAAAAHHHH

Sorry, I control and edit documents for a living.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.

Actually, you're the guys doing it wrong. :P

Also, like black_floyd, never heard 2 spaces ever.

This
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
It's obviously a generational thing.  I clearly remember it being drilled into our heads in the 60's and 70's: Two spaces after a period when it ends a sentence, one space anywhere else and for any other punctuation mark.

If one space is the norm now, then okay.  But there's no question that it used to be two.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I suspect neither way is really wrong, but I still do two spaces.  It is the way I got accustomed to doing it in school, and I've just stuck with it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Wow,  I've never heard of one space being acceptable.  I wonder if it has to do with age.  If Cole's theory is correct,  that'd make sense.  And reading through this here post,  it appears that I instinctively do it with commas,  as well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Wow,  I've never heard of one space being acceptable.  I wonder if it has to do with age.  If Cole's theory is correct,  that'd make sense.  And reading through this here post,  it appears that I instinctively do it with commas,  as well. 
Yeah, it seems that you do. I'd never noticed it before but going through your older post you've always done that. Weird.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ehra

Yeah, I never noticed before that people used two spaces. Now it's going to bother me forever.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

This.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
That was an ellipsis, not a period. 

Still grammatically incorrect, of course.  Just clarifying.

(Depending on which style guide you follow), the individual dots in ellipses should have spaces between them.  And, it's 3 dots if it's in the middle of a sentence, 4 dots if at the end.

This is an example . . . of the former.

This is an example of the latter . . . .

Offline GuineaPig

Two.  Are all of you heathens, or what?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
It's funny, I never even noticed that people used 2 spaces. But now I can't unsee it.