Author Topic: Anthony Phillips  (Read 1045 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Anthony Phillips
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
I just recently discovered his work when my wife bought me a big stack of vinyl at a rummage sale, and The Geese and the Ghost was one of the records.
Very relaxing stuff, very nice to listen to. Right now I'm listening to Private Parts and Pieces on Spotify.
He was one of the founding members of Genesis, and TGATG features Phil Collins singing 2 tracks; one of them is called Which Way the Wind Blows, which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and I highly recommend everyone checking that one out.
Do any of you listen to his stuff?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Anthony Phillips
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
I don't have anything yet, but I like what I've heard on Internet radio whenever I've heard it.

I certainly pick some up if I ever saw it somewhere

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
I have a bunch of his solo stuff, and... well first of all there's a lot of it.  I think he has more solo stuff than anyone else related to Genesis.  I got to 16 and just stopped because honestly it all started sounding the same, but it's all really good.  There's just only so much guitar-based acoustic instrumental stuff by the same guy that I can take.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »
I have a bunch of his solo stuff, and... well first of all there's a lot of it.  I think he has more solo stuff than anyone else related to Genesis.  I got to 16 and just stopped because honestly it all started sounding the same, but it's all really good.  There's just only so much guitar-based acoustic instrumental stuff by the same guy that I can take.

That's partly the reason I haven't actively sought it out.  There's a ton of it. 

I'm still have a bunch of Hackett I need to get. Though I have to say I like Hackett's stuff a lot because it's so diverse.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »
Hackett's stuff is definitely more diverse, and I like a lot of it, but I'm not sure if I've ever heard vocals on any solo tune by him that didn't make me gag almost immediately.  I really don't like his vocals.

Phillips has mountains of solo material, but I usually just put it on for background while surfing or playing games on the PC.  I don't know if any of it has ever made it to my iPod.  The Geese and the Goat is nice, and Tarka is good.  He has a zillion albums called Private Parts & Pieces (and PP&P II, PP&P III, PP&P IV, etc.) and those are the mostly instrumental ones that all sound the same, but as I said, they're all nice background stuff.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
Field Day is a great place to start with Anthony.
What turned me onto him was Which Way the Wind Blows because it reminded me of my Dad's predicament, as we just brought him from the hospital to die at home. My Dad ended up passing away last Sunday, but not before I got to play him that song, which even though he was unconscious all week, he responded to it.
I actually went looking for Anthony's website and emailed him so I could tell him about my Dad and to thank him for the song since it helped my Dad and me, and he took the time to write me back and tell me how honored he was to be part of what he called my Dad's 'transitory time'. He had some beautiful things to say to me. That showed me that he is an amazing guy' not just an amazing writer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but glad that music was able to help you through it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but glad that music was able to help you through it.

What he said!

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
Thanks, guys.  :)