Author Topic: 73109's roulette v. 2.0  (Read 24174 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: 73109's roulette v. 2.0
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2012, 11:32:53 PM »
53|\|7

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
Bump

Results should be up tomorrow. I've been listening to these songs a lot because this is by far the most...odd...round yet.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
Results will be up tonight. I'm going to be crucified for how a score things, but...

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
I got a 0.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
I'd be amazed if my song gets over a 3.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:18:58 PM by Sigz »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
I'm going to get killed for these results and I don't give a fuck!

Lat:

Diablo Swing Orchestra-Vodka Inferno: Well, you said you were going to fuck with my brain and you most certainly did. Fucking nuts, dude. Not in the best way possible, but it most certainly was not bad. I'm going to say the same thing about Justin's but you sent first, so I'll say it now and repeat myself. I have no doubt that this song could score one point higher, as when I heard it for the first time, I would have possibly given it a 1 and as I listened to it more, I started liking it more and more. What started to really get me to go past the meh, stage to "It's OK" was following along with the lyrics. The song is not bad, and is pretty ok. If I gave it a few more listens, it might be "good" but I figured you wouldn't want to wait that long. If this is one of the stranger songs, or even if this is par for the course, I might check these dudes out after this is all done. Mind you, there was something wrong with what you sent, it cut off like 15 seconds before it should have. 4/7

DTVT:

Tetrafusion-Monologue: Pretty good song. Not much to say about it, though. The singer's voice is pretty good and the music always fit the mood. It was precise and times and just chill at others, which is great. I liked the way the song changed gears a little way into it and it worked and wasn't abrupt, which is how proggers usually go about it. I knew I was liking this song when I started humming the chorus while in the car and I didn't know where it was coming from. Really random...the singer is funny looking. The end of the song was the best part. Just figured I'd say that. I'm sorry, this is somewhat of a stream of consciousness thing as I'm writing it as I'm listening to it for the last time. Overall, it was a good song. 5/7

Lonestar:

IQ-Frequency: I am shocked I liked this, to be quite honest with you. After my falling out with DT, I've seemed to shun most prog, but this was pretty sweet. The instrumental passages were pretty sweet and kept me interested most of the time, which is my usual gripe with songs like this that are over 8 minutes long. Every once in a while, they dragged on, but it was fine. The music was pretty sweet, trippy at times and I dug the synth. The singer had a pretty good voice that didn't want to make me kill myself which was another shocker. The opening verses were a bit boring, not much, but it definitely picked up later when things got a bit..."bigger." The song kicked into gear at "Hold on tight/lives are gonna change" and stayed good and just got better and better as the song went on. I was debating whether this was going to get a 5 or a 6, but I went conservative and gave it a 5. But still...that's pretty good. 5/7

ariich:

Frank Turner-Peggy Sang the Blues: Dude...dude...dude...fucking awesome. Seriously man. I have a thing for singer-songwriter and this is just awesome. I knew I was going to dig this song from the moment I heard it but my love for just grew and grew and grew. You are now part of the lovely club along with UMH, Sigz, and Shake that gave me a song and I know have the album that song came off of. This is the best album yet to be honest, which is another reason it took a while for me to send a song. The song is great, catchy, fucking awesome, and what I think makes it is that it has the usual singer-songwriter vibe, but the Turner has a bit of a punk vibe to his voice. Fucking awesome song. Contemplated a 7, but I'm going with a 6. By and large one of the best songs sent so far, and this has the potential to be my "big find" of the roulette. 6/7 +1 for being the best song of the round, giving you a 7.

Ravenheart:

Depeche Mode-Walking in my Shoes: Pretty fucking cool, dude. I don't know what it was about the song, but I really dug it. It could be the electronic vibe throughout, the soft vocals, I don't know. I just like it. The chorus is wicked and is the highlight of the song, but it's all great. You ever get a line of a song stuck in your head, well, I've had " NOW I'M NOT LOOOOKING FOR ABSOOOLUUUUTION" stuck in my head for the last few days. I'll definitely be checking these guys out, but it seems like they have a big catalogue. I'll probably turn to you for that in a while. 6/7

UMH:

SikTh-Pussyfoot: Before we get started, I have a few things to say. 1) Fuck you, you didn't get a 7. Suck it. 2) What the fuck was that?!?!? :lol This was a lot like Lat's in that I would have given it a 1 after the first listen, but it grew on me. Just like Lat's, I'll probably really enjoy this if I give it another 15 or so listens, and if this is par for the course, I'll be checking these guys out after this is all over, but for now, the song was OK. It was crazy, nuts, pretty cool, and I actually got used to, and started to like, the vocals. Sorry you didn't get your 7, but if it helps, I do think it's pretty cool and I'll be checking these dudes out. You and Lat are twins this round; 2 fucking weird ass crazy songs that I'll probably dig in the future that get 4s. 4/7 Oh, and lolsheep.

Sigz:

Black Sun Empire-Fever: Hmm...this has me somewhat stumped. I don't know if I should just this for its musical merit, or for what I would use it for. It's the difference in one point. I'm listening to it one last time and we'll see what I think. Um...it's pretty dark, trippy, and interesting. It's a bit repetitive at times, which isn't good, and I feel like I can just see a bunch of whorish looking girls grinding on douchey looking guys in a club to this, so that isn't good, but on the upside, this would be sweet "getting shit done" music. I could walk to this, I could clean my room, do homework, play video games, and I could even fall asleep to it...and it is pretty good for that. I'm debating between a 3 and a 4...um...hmm...overall music vs. good doing shit music...eh, you're a cutie-pie :heart 4/7

Shake:

Talking Heads-Born Under Punches: Um...I don't know dude. I just wasn't really feeling this song. It wasn't bad, so it's not going to get an intensely shitty score, I just didn't really like it. The music wasn't that bad. Pretty cool slap bass and guitar with the effect that I can't remember the name of right now. (That's upsetting.) The vocals didn't really do much for me. I think Phish covered these dudes when I saw them. Just saying. Not a lot to say, to be honest. It just wasn't very good, not bad though. 3/7

Standings after 4 rounds...

Sigz-22
UMH-20
Lat-18
Lonestar-18
Ravenheart-18
ariich-18
Shake-15
DTVT-13

Round 5 is open.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »
I was being pretty lenient with wanting seven points. SikTh deserves eight.

Anyway, I'll think of something less awesome to send so you'll like it more.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
SikTh and DSO deserve way more but hey you like Frank Turner cool stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
Funny, I thought Nichol's voice would be what killed me, he always seemed to be a love him/hate him singer.  He is probably my favorite vocalist, just because he seems to connect with me more than any other singer.  Glad you liked it.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
DTVT:

Tetrafusion-Monologue: Pretty good song. Not much to say about it, though. The singer's voice is pretty good and the music always fit the mood. It was precise and times and just chill at others, which is great. I liked the way the song changed gears a little way into it and it worked and wasn't abrupt, which is how proggers usually go about it. I knew I was liking this song when I started humming the chorus while in the car and I didn't know where it was coming from. Really random...the singer is funny looking. The end of the song was the best part. Just figured I'd say that. I'm sorry, this is somewhat of a stream of consciousness thing as I'm writing it as I'm listening to it for the last time. Overall, it was a good song. 5/7

If you liked that you should like the rest of the album and their new EP (it's free). Stay away from their first album though. It's really good but it's all instrumental so you might not like it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2012, 01:27:25 AM »
Cole, welcome to the world of avant-garde metal. It's basically the best sub-genre thing ever.

Anyway time to think of what to send this next round.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »
I can just see a bunch of whorish looking girls grinding on douchey looking guys in a club to this

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »
sent, and I know some of you will have my back if he trashes it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
sent, and I know some of you will have my back if he trashes it.
Same with mine, I hope.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »
Sent.  Went old school. ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »
9 day bump. Dd everyone forget about #s?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:55 AM »
I sent at the time. Cole is just very slow.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:36 AM »
cole do you even roulette

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
He's too busy posting in the guns thread.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
He's too busy posting in the guns thread.
:rollin

Any thread with a slight P&R slant he jumps on like a hobo on a sandwich.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
I'm really sorry guys. Between work, school, drivers ed, I haven't had much time. I haven't been listening to any music as of late, let alone new shit. I'm incredibly sorry for how long it will take, but I promise to have results by Sunday.

After that, I'll be done with my book for school, I won't have much work, and I'll have my license.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »
And having your license is going to speed up the roulette.... :huh:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
What I'm saying is that the pursuit is taking up time, just like work and school.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
I should probably do my results now, shouldn't I?

Let me type them.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
I should probably do my results now, shouldn't I?

Let me type them.
Give me my 8 points.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Please, some of us are a bit closer to death than you and don't have oodles of time on our hands.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Sorry for the long wait. Lot of shit has been happening, and I feel bad the most of you waited for results you won't like. Just think, there is only 2 more rounds, unless you are one of the top two, and then it will be another long wait, considering I'll need to listen to 2 albums worth of material.

Oh, and unlike Justin, I actually give all the songs at least 5-6 spins (unless it is super long) before I make a final decision.

Here we go:

UMH:

Foxy Shazam-Oh Lord: Well, fuck you. This certainly isn't SikTh Seriously. I said there probably wouldn't be a 1 or a 7 and you had to go and fuck that up. Luckily for you, it was on the better side of the two. This song is so fucking awesome. Like, seriously. I hate that you sent it, because you really didn't like anything that I sent you, but 'tis what it is. It's like Queen, but not. I was never that big a fan of Queen, but this takes it to a new level, mixing Queenish grandeur with epicly epicness that makes a fucking amazing song. The chorus to the song is just so fucking amazing and when I sing it, it reminds me off my discovering of Earth Day, just playing that chorus over and over and over and just jamming along and fake belting out to it. Congrats, I just compared this song to my favorite song of all time.  Be happy. I must admit, I've since listened to the whole album and it is fucking amazing, and as you know, these guys are coming by a local club and I'll be going. Once again, fuck you. 7/7 +1 for having the best song of the round, making it an 8

Lat:

Buckethead-Aunt Suzie: You took a massive risk with this one, and I'm not sure if you'll think it will pay off. You are correct in describing this as chill music that you need to be in the mood for. Luckily for you, there are a few different moods that will work. I can totally see myself doing homework to this, taking a walk, browsing the interwebz, or falling asleep to it. (I will most likely try it...is the rest of the stuff on the album like this?) It is long, and usually, you'd get a complaint from me because of that, but not here. This could go on for ever and I'd like it, because (and here's where you and Justin and most people will kill me) this, to me, is not music for listening. This is music to do shit to. I could never sit back and just listen to it the way I would different music, because if I tried, I'd get bored. However, the music is beautiful, bluzey, chill, and over all, not bad for an 11 minute instrumental. 4/7

DTVT:

maudlin of the Well-Gleam in Ranks: Hmm, a lot of shit going on in this song, and I'm not sure I dig it all. It's a bit out there and just drags with not a lot changing other than the odd scream or increase in intensity by the singer, though it didn't do much for me. Avant-garde just doesn't seem to be my thing. I mean, the two songs last round weren't that bad, but I just couldn't get into this. The music description of wiki seems to be cool, so maybe this just wasn't the right song to sends, but who knows?  Off all the songs sent that I ranked, I'm most afraid of the back lash from this one. I feel like a dick any time I give a song a low score, but I try to be fair and honest, and I just didn't really like this. 2/7

ariich:

Petter Carlsen-Spirits in Need: You're first attempt at playing to my singer-songwriter loved worked incredibly well (I haven't stopped playing England Keep My Bones since you sent Peggy Sang the Blues,) but this doesn't really work. I don't know why, maybe because it was a little more...spacey(???)...than straight up singer-songwriter like Turner was. To me, not a lot happened in the song. It was melodic, but nothing grabbed me. It wasn't catchy and the chorus was lackluster. I also didn't really enjoy the singer's voice in general. I mean, it wasn't bad, so it won't get a 2, but it wasn't very good. 3/7

Lonestar:

Saxon-Denim and Leather: Awesome. This roulette has been missing some straight up, ass kicking, bad ass metal music. I find it somewhat sad that I haven't listened to these guys, but right when I started getting into metal more than just the big names, I tried to move forward instead of back, so many of the NWOBHM was lost on me, but this is awesome. It's just simple, ass kicking music, and it's the shit that Bill and Ted would bang their heads to. I like this, and it represents something that I haven't listened to in a while and I miss it. I've spent a lot of my recent time on heavy, heavy metal or more out there stuff, so listening to this reminds me of back when I first began getting into metal. (Can a 17 year old kid be nostalgic?) However, I must say, despite my metalheadness, I think denim and leather is quite possibly the dumbest look ever. Seriously, I never understood the demin jackets and leather pants, but whatever. It's fun, badass, heavy, and pretty sweet. 5/7

Sigz:

Above and Beyond-Alchemy: Another song where I'm afraid about what I have to say. This song, while not awful, wasn't very good. I mean, I dug the electronic bits, but that was about it. I didn't especially like the singer and the chorus got grating, especially considering it seemed to play quite a lot. I just couldn't get "IT WAS ALCHEMY !!!" out of my head for all the wrong reasons. I was on the fence about giving this a 2 or a 3, but I decided to be a dick...I mean, you are pretty far ahead so you can miss one point, and if I'm correct, there will be more than one 2 in this round. Between this and Maudlin, I'm going to get crucified. Eh, I'll go listen to Oh Lord again. 2/7

Ravenheart:

Poe-Haunted: This is an interesting little song. I wouldn't know exactly where to categorize it in terms of genre, but I most definitely liked it. It was memorizing and I felt myself losing myself in the song, and when the chorus kicked in, I snapped back into the song, but it was a good feeling. I really dug the chicks voice and I dug the weird operatic (?) voices in the back. If I had to mention my one qualm, it would be the incessant use of "Badabumba" over and over again. That got annoying, but over all, I really liked this. It was melodic, catchy, and somewhat mysterious at the same time. I can honestly say I haven't really heard something like this before. Oh, and who the hell are these guys? A quick search on wikipedia yields nothing. I'd like to listen to more of this after the roulette but I can't seem to find anything.
5/7

Shake:

Ulver-Porn Piece or the Scars of Cold Kisses: Don't quite know what to make of this. Ulver is a pretty popular band here if I'm not mistaken. Well, I might piss off some people with this review. The song was meh. I mean, it spent the first two minutes not really going anywhere and when it did finally kick in into what I'd call electronic music, it was too out there with no real "hook" for me to grab on to. Then, the song changed gears and the singer started singing and it wasn't that bad. If the entire song was just three minutes of the second half of the track it might've been better. I was on the fence of whether I should give this a 2 or a 3, and after listening to it a couple more times, I gave it a 2/7

Standings:

UMH-28
Sigz-24
Lonestar-23
Ravenheart-23
Lat-22
ariich-21
Shake-17
DTVT-15

Round 6 is...open.

Oh, and let the haters hate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:51:58 AM by ariich »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »
Holy fucking shit dude.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
Well, you gave me my 8 points, but you gave Buckethead 4 and maudlin of the Well 2.

It almost balances out, but still, motW a 2? Come on, man.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »
Ulver-Porn Piece or the Scars of Cold Kisses: Don't quite know what to make of this. Ulver is a pretty popular band here if I'm not mistaken. Well, I might piss off some people with this review. The song was meh. I mean, it spent the first two minutes not really going anywhere and when it did finally kick in into what I'd call electronic music, it was too out there with no real "hook" for me to grab on to. Then, the song changed gears and the singer started singing and it wasn't that bad. If the entire song was just three minutes of the second half of the track it might've been better. I was on the fence of whether I should give this a 2 or a 3, and after listening to it a couple more times, I gave it a 2/7

WTF DUDE

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »
Hey ariich, I can't edit my posts, can you do me a favor and give yourself an extra point. I gave you two when you should have had three, giving you a 21.

Oh, and:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
After the amount of shit I took for slamming Devin Townsend, I really can't criticize, plus, you gave me a 5. :)

That song represents me in high school so well, except I had the beat up concert shirt and straggly hair, kind of like half the young cats here lol.

Oh, I actually am sending  song in obscure's roulette that should be good for you too, be interesting to see the two sides of it.  BTW, I modified my post to type this, u jelly?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
What happened after I told Cole how awesome Toby's voice is.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »
the fail is the too big to handle

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »

WTF DUDE

This x1000000000000