Author Topic: Arcturus  (Read 1222 times)

Offline adastra

Arcturus
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
"Arcturus is an avant-garde metal band formed in Norway in 1987. They named it Arcturus (meaning Bear Guardian), after the Behenian fixed star Arcturus."

So, what do you guys think About Arcturus?

It was early 00's when i was shredding Emperor with my guitar teacher.  He said that I should check this band Arcturus and their album "The Sham Mirrors" .
Well, I got the album and  :o !!!!   ..  I had this feeling which i haven't got too many times;   When you get introduced to a music like you haven't ever heard before . I've had this feeling with Rammstein and Dream theater before that  :P

I guess that "The Sham Mirrors" is one of my favourite albums of all time.  Everything is great about it.. Keyboards are fantastic, Hellhammer is fantastic on drums. And my god, Garm does some great vocals... can't forget "Radical Cut" with Ihsahn on vocals And That hyper speed keyboard solo by Sverd.

So what do you think?
Is Hellhammer wasting his talent in Mayhem?
Should they try to get Garm back and release new album?

I've bought tickets for their show at Helsinki in couple of months. I'm Pretty excited about that!

Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Arcturus
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
I really like La Maquerade Infernale.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
Sham Mirrors is amazing, I'm not too familiar with any other albums of theirs. There should be more for sure though.

Offline adastra

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:49 AM »
Dead topic is dead.

There has been some rumours of new arcturus album later this year!
Great thing!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Vortex mentioned that Arcturus are recording something new.

Offline JLa

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »
The Sham Mirrors is amazing. The rest of their stuff hasn't really clicked with me, but I'll probably check out a new release anyway (The Sham Mirrors is THAT good). :)

Offline adastra

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »
Yeah, The Sham Mirrors is amazing.. One of the best albums I own. All the prog lovers should own that album!

Offline Art

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:27:01 PM »
I absolutely love Arcturus. Avant Garde AND Garm!

Does anybody else think that Chaos Path from La Masquerade Infernale has a "Awake-like" sound? especially the drums and keys, it´s like they said to the producer: this has to sound like Awake by DT  :lol

Anyway, great band!

Offline Art

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 05:49:36 AM »
Did anybody listen to Arcturian, the new record?

I really liked it, a big improvement over Sideshow Symphonies for me, the song "Demon" is certainly one of the best pieces of music of 2015. Crashland is magnificent, too.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »
Keep meaning to give it a try on Spotify, but I keep getting distracted. Arcturus is awesome as hell. Can't imagine anyone into prog metal not finding something to like here.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 01:35:23 PM »
I have to get their newest still, but this thread inspired me to listen to The Sham Mirrors again.

:metal :metal :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Damn, it's been released already? I need to hear this.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »
Bump  :D
Listening to Arcturian for the first time in a couple of years.
A great album that always sounded bad to my ears (production and mix).
Playing through my iPod and Ed-phones it actually sounds pretty decent.

Hope they do something new...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 05:03:07 PM »
I first heard this band on a Saturday sitting in the bath listening to XFM. The Chaos Path came on and i was like what is this followed by this is great followed by hahahaha when that best drops in the end. Great band. Sham Mirrors is incredible. Hope they do something again.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 03:57:10 AM »
I first heard The Chaos Path in the late 90s. A few years ago I picked up all the rest of the albums. I was amazed at the quality of their output. Even their early stuff which I only had heard a few low quality downloads of (again, this was the 90s BEFORE napster) was excellent. Always meaning to go back and listen to more.