Author Topic: Speaking in tongues/prophecy/healing/etc  (Read 5824 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Speaking in tongues/prophecy/healing/etc
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:28 AM »
That's a good point, rumby, and I feel the same way.  When people start babbling their gibberish, they are either full of shit or sincere.  But even if they are sincere (like Orbert's friend), I don't think what is happening is what is described in the Bible.  I think it is a trance state attuned from a religious ecstasy, and the gibberish is the verbal component of it.  I don't think it is from God per se, but it is a side effect of a religious ecstatic trance state, usually self-induced.

Sincere?  Yes.  Real?  Not really.

/my two cents
Suppose it is induced by a trance-like state.  Does that mean it's not legitimate?  I don't see the connection you're making.
It means that it is from you and not from God.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 06:25:39 AM »
I can believe that a person might genuinely think that a certain form of "speaking in tongues" is real or valid, but this is where the subjectivism of the form comes into play. Objectively, the Bible never says that speaking in tongues was done with "gibberish". Those that spoke in tongues were understood. It would be akin to out of the blue you suddenly mastered the Russian language.

I'm also confused as to what "the language of Angels" is supposed to stand for as all angels in the Bible speak to man in his language. If I'm missing something, then I'm missing something but I don't think there is any biblical mention of an angelic language.

I, also, don't want to call anyone as a fraud, but as Christ flat out told us, many will come "claiming" to be prophets, "claiming" to come, or speak in His name and that we are to "test" these people for validity and the Bible does an excellent job in giving us a checklist, so to speak, for such a test. If talking in gibberish is biblically supported, then I would be interested in the reference. If not, it could be implicit, but again, we need references for that. If that's not possible then you have to concede that gibberish is not speaking in tongues.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
That's a good point, rumby, and I feel the same way.  When people start babbling their gibberish, they are either full of shit or sincere.  But even if they are sincere (like Orbert's friend), I don't think what is happening is what is described in the Bible.  I think it is a trance state attuned from a religious ecstasy, and the gibberish is the verbal component of it.  I don't think it is from God per se, but it is a side effect of a religious ecstatic trance state, usually self-induced.

/my two cents
Suppose it is induced by a trance-like state.  Does that mean it's not legitimate?  I don't see the connection you're making.
Why?  Hypothetically, couldn't God work tongues into a person through a trance?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »

/my two cents
Sure, but, then, there's no way to verify He's involved. That negates the original purpose entirely.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
Obviously you can't really claim to know what God's intentions would be in doing that, but one would think if he were 'working tongues into them'* it would be an actual language.

*teehee
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »
 :lol

Yeah, I'm pretty unconvinced that speaking in tongues are for today.  I mean, I thought I did it this weekend but I was pretty nervous and it was really chaotic.  People think I'm a hero though, now, and I don't know what to tell them.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
what

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

/my two cents

It doesn't disprove anything per se (just like nothing really in the theological realm can ever be truly disproven), but it makes it less believable if it relies on plain ol' trance states, which have been used to everything under the sun (the majority non-Christian).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
God could pull a blue donkey out of my nose.  But what God could do is an open-ended discussion.  We are just dealing with what he has done and is (or isn't) doing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »
How's that nose, dude?  /concerned
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
How's that nose, dude?  /concerned
Tender, man.  Tender.