Author Topic: What's your heritage?  (Read 7080 times)

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: What's your heritage?
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »
50% Danish, 25% English, and then a whole bunch of European mutt-ness.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
American...

Prior to that English, French, German, Irish, Cherokee. A mutt.

I bet you even have a cold nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-ru03J2OQ

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »
American...

I bet you even have a cold nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-ru03J2OQ

:omg: My nose is always the first to get cold!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
On my father's side english, french, american indian and irish.

On my mother's side welsh, scottish, jewish, dutch, irish.

All american mutt much like others have mentioned before.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
German and Irish  so I'm a stubborn Drunk
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
American...

Change the Cherokee to Choctaw and we're identical. o/
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
All Irish, bitch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:51:09 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
50% German
25% Swedish
25% Polish

MOTHERFUCKA!!!!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »
On my mother's side, there's a lot of Welsh and English (from around Somerset... Well, Wells and Farrington Gurney), and on my father's side, there's some Scottish, Welsh (although he refuses to admit it) and ginger (he really refuses to admit this one). Also, judging by my surname, it's very likely that the paternal line arrived in the norman invasion of 1066 (surname refers to someone way back having been an arming squire, and no, it's not Squire).

I could probably do a pretty detailed breakdown of my family history over the last 100/120 years, but that would be pretty long and unnecessary.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
All Irish bitch.
Commas do wonders.

I knew it looked weird when I was typing it...
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Omega

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Mostly Spanish, but there are flairs of Italian, French, Mexican, and Polish.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
German, Romanian, there is Native American on my Mom's side in the deep channels of our family history. Fun Fact: My great-great grandfather was the first white baby born here in St. Paul, MN.

Also, just a drop of Irish in our blood which I am thankful for
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
I have my family tree somewhere going back to the 1600s on my Dads side were all British. I know my Mum's great great granddad was British so I assume 100% British

That's pretty damn impressive, not gonna lie.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
Irish and German, pretty much exclusively.  And I might have a touch of African American, whether or not some funny business went down with my ancestors from the 1800s.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
I did a lot of research a few years back and as far back as I could go I'm 100% Lithuanian, fairly boring.
I was once drinking in a bar in Frankfurt (was there alone) and these two guys invited me to play pool. They asked me where I was from. At the mention of New Zealand, there was about five minutes of discussion. I asked where they were from. They were from Lithuania.

"Oh yeah...

so Eastern Europe, huh?"

It was pretty embarrassing. I literally didn't know a single thing about Lithuania.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
Better that than me, the only things I know about Lithuania involve the Holocaust. :blush
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »
1/4 Cherokee Indian...the rest Scottish.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
Added to my TempusVox folder.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
I have no idea on the percentages but I'm Irish, German, Norwegian, and Swedish.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2012, 04:55:40 AM »
Well, I'm 100% Dutch myself, but I'm sure my mother was at least part either Jewisch or Indonesian. (jet black hair, which I did not inherit, dammit!) I was raided by a Surinam guy from 7th to my 15th year, but that's about all the foreign influence I can boast about...

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
AFAIK 50% German, 25% Swedish, and a mix of Norwegian, English, Scottish.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
100% inbred British.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline adameastment

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »
According to my late grandfather on my fathers side, his family comes from American Indians (probably the reason my surname is so rare in the UK). And according to my mother, her family come from Italy.

So, my ancestry comes from hot places. I don't get it though, I'm ginger and fair skinned. I know it was like the early 1800 my dads family came to the UK, wouldn't some still show in me? Or not?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »
Added to my TempusVox folder.
:lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
Wouldn't it really just be African instead of African-American since we don't say Franco-Spanish or Briton-German when referring to other folks whom have contributed to our genetic makeup? I say this because what makes someone African-American is basically having African descent and residing in America. If you (in the general sense of "you", not specifically you) have actual American descent that would either be listed anachronistically as "Indian" or accurately as "Native American."

It's complex. African Americans don't embrace African culture just like someone who has full Irish heritage would embrace the Irish culture. I see Scottish-Americans wear kilts. I do not see African Americans wear kente cloths.

Also, to term ourselves "African" reinforces a sad implication: that our history is basically slave ships, plantations, and lynching. To say African American means overcoming the struggles of firehouses and sitting in the back of buses.

We've come a long way since then.

I am half black, but whilst people consider me black because of the color of my skin, I don't consider myself black. Nor do i consider myself white. I've embraced that I am bi-racial, or mixed, and that i shall always be.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
Well, I'm 100% Dutch myself, but I'm sure my mother was at least part either Jewisch or Indonesian.

This confuses me.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
Where do you guys get these percentages? DNA test?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
Wouldn't it really just be African instead of African-American since we don't say Franco-Spanish or Briton-German when referring to other folks whom have contributed to our genetic makeup? I say this because what makes someone African-American is basically having African descent and residing in America. If you (in the general sense of "you", not specifically you) have actual American descent that would either be listed anachronistically as "Indian" or accurately as "Native American."

It's complex. African Americans don't embrace African culture just like someone who has full Irish heritage would embrace the Irish culture. I see Scottish-Americans wear kilts. I do not see African Americans wear kente cloths.

Also, to term ourselves "African" reinforces a sad implication: that our history is basically slave ships, plantations, and lynching. To say African American means overcoming the struggles of firehouses and sitting in the back of buses.

I am half black, but whilst people consider me black because of the color of my skin, I don't consider myself black. Nor do i consider myself white. I've embraced that I am bi-racial, or mixed, and that i shall always be.

I get all of that and definitely understand why you would have those views on it. I just was speaking of the genetic accuracy of it rather than the cultural/historical perspective but obviously it's your own choice of how to represent yourself so I promise I wasn't trying to be some kind of overbearing prick.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Where do you guys get these percentages? DNA test?
Recorded ancestry.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

I get all of that and definitely understand why you would have those views on it. I just was speaking of the genetic accuracy of it rather than the cultural/historical perspective but obviously it's your own choice of how to represent yourself so I promise I wasn't trying to be some kind of overbearing prick.

I didn't think you were at all.... I was just discussing because you asked a question....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »
Well, I'm 100% Dutch myself, but I'm sure my mother was at least part either Jewisch or Indonesian.

This confuses me.

You're right, that would mean I wouldn't be 100%...anything. But given the fact that she died in 1968 and there's not much known about her background, I can't be sure.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2012, 02:43:14 AM »
At least 32% or something Irish, maybe more. My grandma is 100% Irish. One year I woke up on St. Patty's Day and without knowing it, I had a huge craving for potatoes. Love potatoes and booze. Wooooo
I have some Dutch, possibly some Italian.
I have a quarter of Indian in me, dunno what tribe though.
IDK the rest.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
My god you people are so international  :lol

I am 87,5 % Estonian and 12,5 % Russian. The Russian blood comes through my mom, her grandfather from her father's side was Russian. My mom's maiden name was Voogre, an Estonianised version of Volkov ( there was a name changning propaganda during the 1930s, her grandparents had their family name changed). My dad's line is Estonian through and through AFAIK. I think a small touch of Russian character is good, makes me somewhat more open and talkative.