Author Topic: JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy  (Read 27104 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

26.) Woods Of Ypres- Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light

Is it a bit premature to say that this 2012 release is in my top 50 favorites, especially considering that this album just came out in January? Possibly, but I don't think it's going to change. Woods Of Ypres is what I consider to be a heavier, Canadian version of Type O Negative, except heavier and better. Woods Of Ypres frontman and creative Mastermind David Gold, was tragically killed in a car accident on December 21st. 2011. And this album was just about to be released. These guys played in Minnesota mid 2011, and I couldn't regret more not being able to see them. Since receiving the Promo for this album (gotta love radio I tell you what) I've played this album about 3 times a day, and that won't be stopping for a while. The music is too damn good to ignore, and the lyrics are now, looking back on what happened to David Gold, is just chilling. The last two tracks are apart of a song called, Kiss My Ashes Goodbye, it's almost as if he predicted his own demise in an eerie way. It's such a chilling but incredible album. If you want a darker, but folky and catchy Metal album with almost all clean vocals. Check out Woods Of Ypres. and once this becomes available, get this album ASAP!

Favorite Track: Career Suicide (Is Not Real Suicide)
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Never checked out this band, I probably should.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 09:13:34 PM »

25.) Scale The Summit- The Collective

I'll say this now, knowing many will not agree. But this is the best instrumental album I have ever heard. And I say that as an Instrumental music lover since Junior High when I first heard the song....actually I'll get into that later down the road. But yes, Scale The Summit made a masterpiece with The Collective. Taking an almost 180 turn, from the bright and major keys of Carving Desert Canyons and Monuments, to a dark Minor Key and overall BETTER sound with The Collective. 45 minutes of pure instrumental heaven (Perfect for trips to and from band practice) They get very heavy with songs like Origin Of Species, epic with Whales and one of the best endings ever with Drifting Figures. The last riff of Origin Of Species is one of my top 5 favorite riffs ever created. It's pure Prog goodness, very Dream Theater-esque done by Scale The Summit.  Having gotten to hang out with Christ Letchford twice in 2011, I know that the rest of the guys are just as cool as he is, and know their shit when it comes to music. And that's what I really appreciate in music no matter what genre. For the best 45 minute instrumental album you will ever heard. listen to The Collective. It changed my life for the better, and it hasn't even been a year since it came out.

Favorite Song: Origin Of Species

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
Never checked out this band, I probably should.

You should man. It's well worth your time and support!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »

28.) Mastodon- Crack The Skye

I have come to a conclusion ever since the release of The Hunter a few months back. Anyone who is a Prog fan regards Crack The Skye as their best album, anyone who hates Prog thinks this, and The Hunter are their worst albums.....obviously with me being here I am a Prog Fan. Crack The Skye is by far their best album, with The Hunter taking second place. Not to disregard their Proggy Sludge Metal roots, but come on. Crack The Skye is the definition of Epic Metal. It has a concept that no one can fully explain, 7 songs, catchy, heavy, thought provoking, and only the title track has any kind of screaming (Scott Kelly of Neurosis provides those screams). Mastodon took a big risk making this album, and If I do say so myself, it was the best decision they ever made to this point. Hell they are going to be touring with Opeth and Ghost later in the year (look for information on that soon.) If you can only think of Mastodon as a Sludgy Metal band, and are a prog fan, do yourself a favor and give this album the chance it deserves. You won't be a disappointed.

Favorite Song: Crack The Skye
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Loving your list.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

24.) Sum 41- Chuck

Another album that I know no one would have guessed I'd consider to be a top 50 album, let alone top 25! I hadn't been a fan of these guys before this time outside a couple songs, and after this album, in my humble opinion began to really suck. But Chuck....DAMN! What a great Pop Rock/Metal album. I'm a sucker for a band who knows how to be heavy and when to be poppy and catchy without intentionally doing it to make a quick buck. All these songs came from the heart and you can hear it in their playing. It constantly changes from going Metal to being very heartfelt in a great mixture and roller coaster of music. That can't often be said from a mainstream band. Even when putting this list together I listened all the way though a few times and remembered everything I loved about this album, and none of that has changed since I bought it. Again to venture outside the box and looking to get a mainstream album that doesn't suck...get Chuck!

Favorite Song: Pieces

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »

28.) Mastodon- Crack The Skye

I have come to a conclusion ever since the release of The Hunter a few months back. Anyone who is a Prog fan regards Crack The Skye as their best album, anyone who hates Prog thinks this, and The Hunter are their worst albums.....obviously with me being here I am a Prog Fan. Crack The Skye is by far their best album, with The Hunter taking second place. Not to disregard their Proggy Sludge Metal roots, but come on. Crack The Skye is the definition of Epic Metal. It has a concept that no one can fully explain, 7 songs, catchy, heavy, thought provoking, and only the title track has any kind of screaming (Scott Kelly of Neurosis provides those screams). Mastodon took a big risk making this album, and If I do say so myself, it was the best decision they ever made to this point. Hell they are going to be touring with Opeth and Ghost later in the year (look for information on that soon.) If you can only think of Mastodon as a Sludgy Metal band, and are a prog fan, do yourself a favor and give this album the chance it deserves. You won't be a disappointed.

Favorite Song: Crack The Skye
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Loving your list.

Thanks man!  :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »

23.) Fair To Midland- Tales From A MayFly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True

Fair To Midland, one of the best bands that the mainstream only knows for writing a song about Manatees. These guys get nowhere near the amount of respect they deserve, especially for as much touring as they do. It's got everything a real Music fan looks for. Heavy, Catchy Hooks, Memorable Melodies and Harmonies, It's nowhere near standard. And damn it, it's a Prog Rock album! Every song is just as catchy as the one played before it. There is no weak track at all on this album. While Dance Of The Manatee is by far their biggest song, it's not even close to the best song on the album. TO love these guys, you gotta hear this album, to make them one of your favorite bands of all time, go see them live. BEST LIVE SHOW!!!! But start with Tales From A Mayfly, then immediately check out Arrows And Anchors. I don't know what to say if you can't dig these guys after giving them a fair chance.

Favorite Song; Walls Of Jericho
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:46:07 PM by JRundquist »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »

22.) Ihsahn- After

As much as I love Emperor, you just can't fuck with Ihsahn's solo work. All 3 solo albums to date beat Emperor's Black Metal sound, with his brand of Progressive Death Metal. After is the best of all 3 album without any doubt. Also the inclusion of Jørgen Munkeby (Frontman of Shining) on saxophone is one of the best things to ever do with this album. The saxophone adds so much more power and emotion it would have without it. There isn't a song on here that I could consider weak in any way. All serve their purpose on this triumph of an album. For any Prog fan of any kid. Check this out immediately! It is some of the best music 2012 ever produced.

Favorite Track- On The Shores

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
Man, unfamiliar with the last two also.  Some more cool music for me to check out.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
JESUS MAN, I'm sorry to continually say this, but fuck yeah!  I can't do my list anytime soon now, you have so much that I do >:O

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Man, unfamiliar with the last two also.  Some more cool music for me to check out.

Both again are very much worth checking out. VERY VERY different from each other, but deserve the same kind of love.

JESUS MAN, I'm sorry to continually say this, but fuck yeah!  I can't do my list anytime soon now, you have so much that I do >:O

:lol :rollin :lol

Not a problem man. I'm glad you are digging this list as much as I am. It makes it all worth it.

One more album tonight, then I'll venture into....THE TOP 20!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »
Can't wait for your top 20 dude.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »

21.) Amon Amarth- With Oden On Our Side

The AC/DC of Viking Metal. I do mean that in a good way of course. Amon Amarth is Epic, Brutal and oddly catchy. And of course, it must be said....they only have one sound, fast and Ballad *Same can be said of Power Metal, haha* This album was my introduction into Amon Amarth and it was the right choice. This album and the band in general, really is Power Metal with Death Growls, to be completely fair. But that's why I love it. Its not so much original and crafty and all loving, as it is, the music when you just want something fucking heavy and headbang to. This album covers that so very well. When you want to pillage a village, or just drink some brew with vodka and the blood of your enemies, get this album *also, like AC/DC, once you've heard this album, you've pretty much heard all of Amon Amarth, so just stick with the best...this album*

Favorite Song: Cry Of The Black Birds

Offline adace

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
Really glad you included Scale the Summit. The Collective will be featured on my list in addition to a number of others from your list.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »
Really glad you included Scale the Summit. The Collective will be featured on my list in addition to a number of others from your list.

I'm glad to hear that as well. Scale The Summit is just too good to ignore.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »
Hey guys sorry. I've had the flu all day and just got the strength to get out of bed about 8pm. I'll do about 5 more albums tonight before probably going back to bed.

I'll start with the top 20 in a little bit.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »
Here we go kids....THE TOP 20!

20.) Agalloch- Marrow Of The Spirit

It's not too often when a band like Agalloch can completely take over a guy's life after just one listen. That's what happened with Marrow Of The Spirit. I had only heard of Agalloch before this album came out and I gotta say, they have blown me away. Folk Metal, Black Metal, Post Rock, a tad bit of Prog. There is so much going on with this band the average person may not be able to grasp everything after only one listen. But if you take the time, it is all so very worth it. It's beautiful in every sense of the word. All while having a dark evil, spiritual, and of course, nature influence all over. This album is for the adventurous types who want to hear something they have never heard before. Although many have taken their style, particularly in the Atmospheric Black Metal route. But Agalloch was the pioneers of their scene. Their latest album is a great place to find out how it all began.

Favorite Song: Ghost Of Midwinter Fires

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
Dat Mutemath album. Good.

Some other good picks as well.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »

19.) Devin Townsend- Deconstruction

I know a lot of people will be wondering why this is only at number 19 after how much I talk about this album. Well, there's 18 other albums that had a bigger impact on me. But Deconstruction. HOLY FUCK!!! It is an absolute mindfuck and trying to understand it all after only a couple listens is impossible. That's the beauty of it. This is Devin's finest Metal album, without any question, it literally has everything you would want from Hevy Devy, being Hevy Devy. Some incredible guest spots as well on every track except Poltergeist. The underlying message of Deconstruction is such a great story. Don't forget who you are, and try to make yourself better.....with tons of poop jokes and Ziltoid controlling a carnival. While I'll always be more of a fan of Dev's Prog route. Deconstruction proves you can be metal as fuck, and write one of the best albums to ever be released. I've let him know that a few times now.

Favorite Song: The Mighty Masturbator

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
Dat Mutemath album. Good.

Some other good picks as well.

Thanks man. I love that Mutemath album so much.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »

18.) Evergrey- Recreation Day

Evergrey is one of the first bands that I discovered in Metal that could be heavy and not use screams/Growls. All Clean vocals. As poser-ish as it sounds. I discovered Evergrey and this album, Recreation Day,  from Headbanger's Ball on MTV2 and instantly fell in love. I bought Recreation Day the Tuesday it came out and haven't looked back since. It's not even so much the music that is the best aspect of this album (Although the music is fucking awesome) it is more so the concept behind the album. The first half of the album leaves you depressed and alone with no hope, but half way through on, it gives you hope that things will be ok in life. Tom Englund has been an unspoken hero of mine since that night watching Headbanger's Ball that night. And back in September I finally got to meet him, and he gave me my first station ID for my radio show. Now that is fucking awesome! Evergrey has put out some of the best albums in Progressive Power Metal, and some that were just...ok. But Recreation Day, it is their finest work to date.

Favorite Song: Your Darkest Hour

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
FUCK YES RECREATION DAY

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
I hope there's some Unexpect up there! :D But yeah cool list so far!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »
Some good stuff, but a lot that I wouldn't put near my top 100, let alone 50.  That's ok young padewan, I have many years on you.  I often times find myself not agreeing with your song selections.  You just can't NOT mention Gods of War Arise.  It's the most unintentionally funny song I ever heard, and I mean that in a good way  :lol  Maybe you need to have my sick sense of humor.

I also disagree with song selections from Alien and Marrow of the Spirit, but those are both beasts of albums, with Marrow being my album of the year last year.

I also agree with this statement 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%:

FUCK YES RECREATION DAY

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »

17.) Porcupine Tree- Fear Of A Blank Planet

To this day I feel this is one of the most underrated PT albums. Which is odd to say because this is the album most Prog fans of the time discovered Porcupine Tree. I never hear anyone say this is an ok album. It's either amazing and bland. I happen to think it's their most amazing. While it doesn't have all their best songs (That would be In Absentia) FOABP hit more at home with my lyrically and musically. It's a very dark album all around, no real brightness in the music at all. But that in and of itself makes the beauty out of it. Songs like the title track, My Ashes, and Way Out Of here stand out the most to me. Anesthetize, while it's a great song, drags a little too long, but the middle section makes up for all of that. I highly recommend this and In Absentia as PT's best work and you can't go wrong starting with either album. Porcupine Tree is One Of The Best bands around. Listen why.

Favorite Song: Way Out Of Here

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
That's ok young padewan, I have many years on you.  I

Huh?

Great to see Marrow of the Spirit, Fear of a Blank Planet, and Recreation Day.  :tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
FUCK YES RECREATION DAY

:metal

I hope there's some Unexpect up there! :D But yeah cool list so far!

Unexpect did crack the top 100, but not the top 50.

Some good stuff, but a lot that I wouldn't put near my top 100, let alone 50.  That's ok young padewan, I have many years on you.  I often times find myself not agreeing with your song selections.  You just can't NOT mention Gods of War Arise.  It's the most unintentionally funny song I ever heard, and I mean that in a good way  :lol  Maybe you need to have my sick sense of humor.

I also disagree with song selections from Alien and Marrow of the Spirit, but those are both beasts of albums, with Marrow being my album of the year last year.

I also agree with this statement 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%:

FUCK YES RECREATION DAY

:lol It's all good man. I rarely like the universally loved song off an album. That's just me.

That's ok young padewan, I have many years on you.  I

Huh?

Great to see Marrow of the Spirit, Fear of a Blank Planet, and Recreation Day.  :tup

Thank you! 3 killer albums right there.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:16 PM »
Fear of a Blank Planet, Fables from a Mayfly, Crack the Skye, The Collective... perfect.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »

16.) Between The Buried And Me- Colors

How can you be a Prog Metal fan and not have Colors in your Top 50? Adult Contemporary Progressive Death Metal. And yes Colors is all one song, separated into tracks. (I think a lot of people forget about that.) I can't listen to this album unless it's all the way through. BTBAM have only gotten proggier over the years and it's honestly for the best. It's only gotten them bigger and better. Colors is their finest moment. Not to say anything past that isn't awesome as well, but Colors was the first album to really, and I mean, REALLY explore their prog roots and make it their own. While of course there is plenty of the Death Growls and Screams on this album, the clean breaks, the phenomenal musicianship, the genre changes and the overall landscape of music provided is unfuckable. BTBAM is one of those bands that now what they are doing, and made some huge chances, and it's worked in their favor. For the best Adult Contemporary Progressive Death metal album made to date. check out Colors!

Favorite Song: Colors (It's one song remember?)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »
It took me almost 2 years to get Colors.  Then one day it clicked.  Big time.  Then I got the rest of the albums.  Top 20 in my book as well.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Fear of a Blank Planet, Fables from a Mayfly, Crack the Skye, The Collective... perfect.

Thanks, they really are in every way.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
COLORS :heart

this list gets better with each post!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
Colors is amazing.  Recreation Day is so fucking perfect and underrated it's not funny.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
THanks guys!

Colors ios truly an amazing album.

Recreation Day should be in everyone's Top something albums. Oh well.....

Coming up next.....The Top 15!