Author Topic: JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy  (Read 27108 times)

Offline adace

Re: JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
Lots of great albums so far, especially Muse and Metallica.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
Don't know all these albums, but the ones I do know (which is still over half) are really good. Excellent list so far!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
Interested in checking out the Sepultura, Nevermore, and  Mute Math selections. Some good stuff listed so far!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
Man, you're powering thru this list.  Nice so far (little heavier than my normal liking).  Somehow, I got a hold of all BG albums a long time ago, and never really gave them as much attention as I probably should have.  Unfortunately, Edge of Time isn't one that I do have.  Will have to Grooveshark it sometime.

Mortal Coil is awesome.  Redeemed my faith in Redemption (wasn't a huge fan of Origins or Fullness).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
Thanks for all the support guys. I'm getting back to work on this tonight....actually now.  :lol
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »

39.) Dillinger Escape Plan- Calculating Infinity

Probably the most chaotic album on this entire list. This is the album that helped me get into more into Extreme Metal. While this is technically a Mathcore album, it got me to discover the beauty in chaos. Drummer Chris Pennie (who later went on to join, then quit Coheed & Cambria) is an absolute monster on this album, and recorded it on such a small kit. If you never heard this type of music before you will listen to the first track and go "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS???" You might even hate it at first, but if you give it a chance, it will grow on you and you can grow to love it. Such technical ability and absolutely insane sections of music. but amongst that chaos there is sections that are absolutely beautiful as well just like the eye of the storm. For one of the most insane, but catchy albums to be put out there, outside of noise and grindcore album. Just give this one a chance. YOu may really be happy you did.

Favorite Track: 43% Burnt
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:33:04 PM by JRundquist »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »

38.) Fear Factory- Archetype

There isn't much industrial music that I like, but when it's done right, I absolutely love it. That prime example is Fear Factory. Besides the album that followed it, Transgression, this album will go down as one of the lowest albums in FF's career. And that's just not right. I consider it their best. Why? Because they were all angry and pissed off, and it created some of the best songs of their career in one collection. Also drummer Raymond Hererra displays his best chops in the album opener, Slave Labor. This is such an underrated album for the fact that as long as guitarist Dino is in the band, those song will never be played (Almost all the pissed off lyrics are directed at him, with exception of the song Cyber Waste, which is about internet haters) This album is basically one giant FUCK YOU to everyone that doubted the band, and that reason alone makes it my favorite....also all the songs are simply badass. Check out this under appreciated gem.

Favorite Track: Archetype

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »

37.) Fates Warning- Parallels

Fates Warning, while pretty much starting Progressive Metal (well Maiden laid down the foundation, Fates Warning created it, Dream Theater Perfected it) Fates Warning is BY FAR the most under-appreciated band in Prog Metal. They have done so much for the genre the average music fan will never understand (well maybe when the Metal Evolution documentary airs their Prog Metal segment, even that I doubt). Ray Adler, even today is of of my favorite singers of all time. THe music on this album always grabbed my attention the most. and We Only Say Goodbye is the first real FW song I ever heard. I instantly fell in love. And others like Life in Still Water and Eye To eye, just perfected it to me. I'm very happy to hear that there will be a new FW album out this year. It is much needed to show how Progressive Metal is down without musical wankery.

Favorite Song- We Only Say Goodbye
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:35:21 PM by JRundquist »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
Pleasant Shade of Grey was the only FW I ever listened to, and wasn't much of a fan.  Maybe I need to give them another chance too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »

36.) Faith No More- Angel Dust

How do you follow up being a one mainstream hit wonder? By doing some Angel Dust! haha. Actually Epic is probably my least favorite FNM song for that reason. Angel Dust is by far their best album because of the variety and songwriting. It's perfection in every sense of the word. Yet every song is catchy and abstract at the same time. Not many people outside the likes of Zappa, Devin Townsend, and Mike Patton can pull that off. From death Metal like smilelobber to the cheerleader driven Be Aggressive, to my favorite under appreciated song, Kindergarten. This album is the equivalent to a Commercial Mindfuck, in the best way possible. If you only know Faith No More because of Epic, learn what Faith No More was really about, with Angel Dust.

Favorite Song; Kindergarten

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »
Pleasant Shade of Grey was the only FW I ever listened to, and wasn't much of a fan.  Maybe I need to give them another chance too.

A Pleasant Shade Of Gray is a great album, but not a recommended first album. Perfect Symmetry or Parallels are the best introduction albums.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
*Another break after this, more later tonight*

35.) Goo Goo Dolls- Dizzy Up The Girl

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DOING ON THIS LIST??????! Well it's one of the best Alternative Rock albums ever made. I do have a soft spot for Alternative Radio Pop Rock and this album is the highest ranked on that idea. It's catchy it's beautiful, and it gives you a good sense that you can write Pop rock and not suck. too bad that's rarely if ever seen again passed this album by the Goo Goo Dolls, or other Pop Rock bands in general. But this album....PERFECTION! In every sense of the word. Take a break from the Prog and Metal, and enjoy this album for the pure fact that, you can write great memorable songs without distortion....yes it can happen.

Favorite Song: Black Balloon

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
I love that Faith No More album!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
Reduce the size of that Parallels album cover.

Parallels is probably my Fates Warning album.

If Angel Dust is here, The Real Thing better be up later.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »
Reduce the size of that Parallels album cover.

Parallels is probably my Fates Warning album.

If Angel Dust is here, The Real Thing better be up later.

Fixing now, its funny how it didn't come up that big anywhere else I've been posting this list.  ???

I don't wanna give anything away, but don't get your hopes too high for more FNM on this list.  :eek

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 01:15:07 AM »
Yeah FNM!!

Soke really great albums on here! :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 02:26:29 AM »
Parallels is porbably in my top 25 albums of all time, it's simply perfect.  Quite like the Goo Goo Dolls too, and Faith No More are amazing.  This list is awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »
Lots of stuff I haven't heard on here.

The Blue Album - Very hit or miss for me but the good songs are great

Muse - Great Muse album!

Goo Goo Dolls - Awesome album as well, I haven't spun it in years.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
I don't wanna give anything away, but don't get your hopes too high for more FNM on this list.  :eek

It's ok.  Most people aren't as awesome as me.  *pats on back*

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Thanks guys. Just about to start up with the next 5, I don't have my radio show tonight (got moved to Thursday this week) so I'll be doing at least 10-15 albums tonight.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »

34.) Textures- Drawing Circles

Textures is the first band that made an impact on the Progressive Metal scene before the term Djent became popular (sorry Bulb....Textures used Meshuggah as an influence before you, but I'll get back to you later) This combined exactly what I consider the Djent term to be....Meshuggah with Melody. Drawing Circles is the kind of album that can be crushing, yet beautiful. Every song has it's moments of badass-ery. The song, Denying Gravity had the biggest influence on me and the way I look at Metal music today. Heavy yet beautiful. Also this album came out years before this type of seen got so overly used by bands that wanna be technical, yet wanna sound just like each other. And I say that as a fan of that genre of Progressive Metal, but anyone can admit, it's become too trendy and overused by now in 2012. Check out Drawing Circles to hear one of the finest heavy Progressive Metal albums done in the way it should be.

Favorite Song- Denying Gravity

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »

33.) Strapping Young Lad- Alien

The album that started my now 8 year infatuation with the greatest musician alive, Devin Townsend. Although I gotta admit, besides the song Love? sat first,  I didn't get this album at all. It was too fucked up for my tastes as an early prog fan. I had just got into prog 2 years before this album. So this took me by total surprise. It took me a total month before I really truly appreciated the almighty Hevy Devy, but it I haven't stopped since. This album is nothing short of a fucked up Masterpiece. some of the greatest lyrics ever written mixed with some of the most brutal riffs ever written, with all of Dev quirky little phrasings and fun. with the exception of the last song Info Dump (an 11 minute song of feedback and synth sounds, which I will admit I deleted off my iTunes) I love every single song on this album. While I will always prefer Dev's solo work, SYL will always hold a special place in my heart. And I thank that entirely to Alien.

Favorite song: Shitstorm

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

32.) Pain Of Salvation- Remedy Lane

The other album that made me into a crying, blubbering bitch. When I heard this concept album for the first time, it was a week after my first girlfriend cheated on me....and guess what this album is about? Actually almost everything that happened in this album has either happened to me in my situation, or one of my best friend's growing up and his relationship when we were growing up. But besides the lyrics and concept, the music on this album is Pain Of Salvation at their absolute best. Some say Be is better, or The Perfect Element, but Remedy Lane hit home with me more then anything else. Progressive Metal with a concept that anyone who has ever been in a relationship can fully understand and appreciate. If you need an album to grab you in a way you haven't felt before in Prog, this album is for you, but don't divulge into it if you are at the tail end of a broken relationship like I did, appreciate it when you are in a good state of mind.

Favorite song- Beyond The Pale

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:50 PM »

31.) Periphery- Periphery

My other "Djent" album on this list. While Textures did it first and did it in the most perfect way. Periphery added something more to it that Textures didn't, more catchy to not just Prog fans. That's why Periphery is one of the biggest and I hate saying this...."Trendy" bands going right now. Many people have a problem with Periphery for that reason alone, because they are popular, which is just a shitty reason to not like a band. I liked these guys well before they became popular, and not because it was a hipster thing to do, its because I love the music and yes....the vocals as well. There is some high pitch poppy vocals on this album along with screams. It works for me in a big way. (The albums that I've mentioned already that don't fit in should explain that about me quite well.) And a lot of bands are going to keep ripping off this Djent sound until at least the beginning of 2013, I will only pay attention to the bands that actually showcase some originality to it, and since Periphery did it first, and even they are moving away from it to an extent. I will be looking forward to their next album coming out this year. Until then check this out for some very catchy, almost somewhat Poppy, Progressive Metal.

Favorite Song; Letter Experiment

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »

30. Frank Zappa- Hot Rats

Mr. Frank Zappa. In reality almost any Frank Zappa album could be at this spot. But I'm going with my first Zappa album that I fully understood, appreciated, and loved from beginning. Hot Rats. Hot Rats is a nearly all instrumental album (with exception of Captain Beefheart's vocals on Willie The Pimp) This showcases spectacular songwriting and musicianship from Zappa himself. He is nothing short of a musical legend that more people to check out and appreciate. He wrote a song in every style of music that was created before 1993 (besides Metal). And did it all with no care in the world if people got it or not. Hot Rats is no exception, just stellar music that is fun to listen to and mindblowing at the same time. To really understand what Prog is about....I mean REALLY understand the term PROGRESSIVE, you gotta understand Zappa to as far as a person actually can understand him. Hot Rats is a great place to start. (as well as Apostrophe)

Favorite Song: Son Of Mr. Green Genes

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
Remedy Lane  :metal

The Periphery album is really good too.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
Remedy Lane  :metal

The Periphery album is really good too.

Both are killer albums! And I couldn't live without them but 30 more have higher meanings to me and I'll be starting them off....in a few minutes.

:metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »

29.) Death- The Sound Of Perseverance

What can I say about the legendary Chuck Schuldiner that the Metal world hasn't already said before me? Chuck is one of the most creative, influential, and greatest musicians the WORLD will ever know. Not just metal. This album is the last album Death ever put out, and Chuck didn't even want to make this album. He was getting much more into Prog then he was actual Death Metal and wanted to continue on with Control Denied, a band where he only guitar, not even sung at all. TO get out of his contract, he made The Sound Of Perseverance. I don't even think Chuck knew what he was about to unleash on the world with this album. While many say Symbolic was a better album, and I might even tend to agree at time. TSOP had much more of an impact me. The music, the lyrics, The killer cover of Painkiller, and the legendary drumming of Richard Christy. Christy is one of my biggest inspirations in music (And not his last time on this list). All you need to do is hear the intro to this album, Scavenger Of Human Sorrow to understand. That is still one of the craziest drum intros into any album! I miss Chuck so much but at least he gave us well over a decade of some of the best metal and music ever created. For any Prog/Tech Metal fan, Start with The Sound Of Perseverance...then go directly into Symbolic!

Favorite Song- Scavenger Of Human Sorrow

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

What can I say about the legendary Chuck Schuldiner that the Metal world hasn't already said before me? Chuck is one of the most creative, influential, and greatest musicians the WORLD will ever know. Not just metal. This album is the last album Death ever put out, and Chuck didn't even want to make this album. He was getting much more into Prog then he was actual Death Metal and wanted to continue on with Control Denied, a band where he only guitar, not even sung at all. TO get out of his contract, he made The Sound Of Perseverance. I don't even think Chuck knew what he was about to unleash on the world with this album. While many say Symbolic was a better album, and I might even tend to agree at time. TSOP had much more of an impact me. The music, the lyrics, The killer cover of Painkiller, and the legendary drumming of Richard Christy. Christy is one of my biggest inspirations in music (And not his last time on this list). All you need to do is hear the intro to this album, Scavenger Of Human Sorrow to understand. That is still one of the craziest drum intros into any album! I miss Chuck so much but at least he gave us well over a decade of some of the best metal and music ever created. For any Prog/Tech Metal fan, Start with The Sound Of Perseverance...then go directly into Symbolic!

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
Holy shit!!  TSOP is absolutely amazing.  Probably would be in my top 30 too.  This list just gets better and better, quite possibly my fav top 50 album list so far.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »

28.) Mastodon- Crack The Skye

I have come to a conclusion ever since the release of The Hunter a few months back. Anyone who is a Prog fan regards Crack The Skye as their best album, anyone who hates Prog thinks this, and The Hunter are their worst albums.....obviously with me being here I am a Prog Fan. Crack The Skye is by far their best album, with The Hunter taking second place. Not to disregard their Proggy Sludge Metal roots, but come on. Crack The Skye is the definition of Epic Metal. It has a concept that no one can fully explain, 7 songs, catchy, heavy, thought provoking, and only the title track has any kind of screaming (Scott Kelly of Neurosis provides those screams). Mastodon took a big risk making this album, and If I do say so myself, it was the best decision they ever made to this point. Hell they are going to be touring with Opeth and Ghost later in the year (look for information on that soon.) If you can only think of Mastodon as a Sludgy Metal band, and are a prog fan, do yourself a favor and give this album the chance it deserves. You won't be a disappointed.

Favorite Song: Crack The Skye

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Holy shit!!  TSOP is absolutely amazing.  Probably would be in my top 30 too.  This list just gets better and better, quite possibly my fav top 50 album list so far.

Thanks guys! I really truly appreciate it!  :metal :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »
IMO, CTS is Mastodon's weakest album.  Never been a fan of that album.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
I really enjoy Zappa although I'll admit I don't have any of his albums on my list. He was absolutely musically gifted and talented and he certainly didn't bow to any pressure to create music on anyone's terms but his own.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

27.) Clutch- Pure Rock Fury

What was said about Crack The Skye can almost be said about Pure Rock Fury, until Strange Cousins From The West came out, a lot of Clutch fans say Pure Rock Fury is their weakest album. While it may not be the best album, it is by far my favorite, because the name is actually what the album give you....PURE ROCK FURY. It combines the best 60-70's Psychedelic Rock, with 90's Rock's catchyness. Before From Beale St. To Oblivion and the song Electric Worry rocketed them to a 3 week success. Careful With That Mic was their biggest song, and still gets some radio airplay from time to time. But it's the other songs that really makes this one perfection, like Pure Rock Fury, Immortal, Drink To The Dead, etc. It's quite a change in their sound from what they did up at the point (a lot of DC Hardcore influence on their previous albums). This and The Elephant Riders really mark their change to their bluesy roots they still do to this day. But there is no denying the catchyness in this album. It's as if Zappa made an album with Clutch. Check this out, it's well worth your time.

Favorite Song: Pure Rock Fury