Author Topic: JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy  (Read 27117 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
Hey guys. I'm still kinda new here, but well known from the Mike Portnoy Forum. I'm up next to showcase my Top 50 albums of all time (at least from 1-15-2011 backwards). All The Good, Bad, Ugly, Sexy, Controversial, Universally Agreed Upon, and Meh albums you can handle.

I'll be working on my list tonight, and start showcasing the top 50 when I wake up later today. Most likely starting during the Packers game tomorrow.

To those that really know me, you will know my top 3 already. But the other 47, well there's going to be a lot of surprises. Hope you guys dig it!

:metal :metal :metal
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: JRundquist's Top 50 Albums - v. Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »
DAMN, this is going to be harder then I thought. When looking through all of my albums I've been putting together the ones that have impacted me the most. I picked 189 albums.  :rollin

Now I'm down to 60, and it's like Sophie's Choice. But I promise I'll be able to get things going later today with number 50. It'll be worth it.

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
Cool man can't wait to see your picks. I want to make a list but maybe a little later.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
Just got it down to 50. Now I gotta rank the,. This is so hard. :lol:

I'm also starting to feel sick, so at least since I won't be able to do anything in the next couple days. I'll be able to make this as good as possible.

I'll be posting this on the MP Forum, my facebook, and just for shits and giggles make this apart of my radio show as well.  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:04:21 AM »
Coolio... I'm looking forward to the diversity of this.  Your top 2011 albums list was pretty cool.  I'm sorry to say I haven't been able to check out your weekly show... the timing just doesn't work for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »
Coolio... I'm looking forward to the diversity of this.  Your top 2011 albums list was pretty cool.  I'm sorry to say I haven't been able to check out your weekly show... the timing just doesn't work for me.

It's all good man. But if You are ever interested. I do keep an MP3 copy of every show I do. Sometimes the bands request a copy of the show they are on so they can enjoy it, and I send some out to friends who miss a show.

But I'll be starting this in roughly a half hour. Still feeling really crappy but I do have the strength to get started on this, and to see if the Packers win tonight.

There is 50 here, but as I've posted above, I had 189 life changing albums in my lifetime, all of which are equally worthy of top 50 status. But after thinking a  lot about it, these really are my personal top 50.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
You and I have similar tastes, so I shall definitely be following this.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
You and I have similar tastes, so I shall definitely be following this.

Thanks man!  :metal

My next post will be the beginning, and may surprise people who know me pretty well.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Here it is folks, the good, the bad, the ugly, the sexy. The top 50 albums of all time...in my humble opinion:

50.)
Weezer- The Blue Album

What the hell is this doing on my list? haha. Back when I was actually getting into music. Not just Metal, but actually realizing what music was. I discovered The Blue Album. While many diehard Weezer fans will disagree, they have never topped this album, which is part of why I never got into them much. Sure they have great albums, but they have a lot of shit too. (Have you heard all of Raditude?) The Blue Album is the definitive 90's Pop Rock Album. Every song is just as catchy as the song before it. And any of the songs that were on this album, could have and should have been a single. I'm still a Weezer fan to a little bit of an extent, but again. Nothing touches The Blue Album, it's Pop Rock Perfection, before it became so diluted and boring.

Favorite Song: The World Has Turn And Left Me Here
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:52:20 PM by JRundquist »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
A left turn straight out of the gate!  Ballzy, I'll give this a listen  :)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
Weezer's alright! I really like the song "Butterfly" from Pinkerton, and "Perfect Situation," whichever album it's from. Looking forward to more!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
Weezer is one of those bands that is undeniably catchy, as long as you hear the right song first.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
Listened to a few songs from the album before going back to my death metal Sunday and I enjoyed what I heard  :tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

49.) Metallica- ...And Justice For All

I was born the day Harvester Of Sorrow was released as a single (August, 19th, 1988) Of course I gotta be a Metallica fan. Metallica was the first Metal band I truly appreciated. It was 1999 and Garage Inc. just came out (my first CD I ever bough, which was a double album, maybe explains why I became a Prog fan later). Justice is the proggiest of all the Metallica albums. It's also the darkest and I dare say the one with the most emotion and anger, because of the loss of Cliff Burton. all 9 songs are just pure Metal. One is the first song that I actually realized, "Wow, you can play a bass drum that fast?" It helped me realize what double bass was (although, try to find double bass after this album from Metallica) and that not all music was easy 4/4 rock. Justice may not be the first album that you show a music fan to get them into metal. But if you wanna appreciate a good mixture of Prog and Thrash Metal. Justice is where it's at. and although there is no bass guitar (or just very little of it) It still stands the test of time to this day.

Favorite Song: ...And Justice For All

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »

48.) Atheist- Unquestionable Presence

Easily the most underrated of the 90's Tech Metal bands (including Death, Cynic, etc), Atheist was a band that never really caught on, but loved by all who has heard them. Steve Flynn is an absolute god when it comes to the drums, and this album showcases his best work. I was fortunate enough to catch these guys back a few years ago opening for Primal Fear at Minnesota Metalfest, and although it wasn't the same as being able to see them back in the early 90s. I never thought I would be able to see them live. So it made up for everything. Steve Flynn is just as badass as he ever was. It's one of the first Tech metal albums that actually featured other elements including Jazz to their style, which has influenced so many bands that are doing the same today. Any of those current bands will tell you their love for Atheist, if they don't they are lying or oblivious. For some of the best drumming in the 90s, and to hear where Tech Metal really started getting good. check out Unquestionable Presence.

Favorite Song: Mother Man

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
Weezer are great! And I love ...Justice, was in my top 20. I've always meant to listen to Athiest, but just never gotten around to it.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »

47.) In Flames- Clayman

Clayman, In Flames Best work *Fully expects some hate for that statement*. It has everything that I'm looking for in a Melodic Death Metal album.  Elements of Pop, Thrash, a little Prog, and overall just catchy fun, and badass Metal. Something that has been lost over the years. After this album is when In Flames, to most people started their detour into shit. I don't agree, that didn't happen until A Sense Of Purpose, and even more so with the new album *The song Liberation will be hitting your local rock station shortly, if not already. it's just....wrong* But for the highest peak in In Flames' history. Clayman is their best by far. One listen should be all the proof you need.

Favorite song: Pinball Map

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
Last one for a little bit, might do more tonight:

46.) Blind Guardian- At The Edge Of Time

Blind Guardian is the best Power Metal band still going today. Every one of their albums are classic and deserve this spot just as much as this album...but this album hit home for me more then the rest. At The Edge Of Time is the definition of Epic. from the opening of Sacred World, to the pure Power Metal intensity that is A Voice In The Dark. Hansi is just a legendary badass. Plain and simple. Seeing them live back in November 2010, was one of the highlights of my concert going experience. Live, the songs are just as amazing. While there are tons and tons of other great Power Metal bands out there, Blind Guardian is at the top. and At The Edge Of Time, is the perfect place to start.

Favorite Song: A Voice In The Dark

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I really like the song "Butterfly" from Pinkerton
The best song Rivers ever wrote, IMO.

The Blue Album probably is their best album overall though.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
Weezer's alright! I really like the song "Butterfly" from Pinkerton, and "Perfect Situation," whichever album it's from. Looking forward to more!

Weezer is a good band, but since the green album they have been in the good album/shitty album rate. it sucks considering Rivers does know how to write.

Listened to a few songs from the album before going back to my death metal Sunday and I enjoyed what I heard  :tup

:lol Glad to hear it man. There will be some Death Metal coming up. I promise you that. As well as more left turns out of nowhere.

Weezer are great! And I love ...Justice, was in my top 20. I've always meant to listen to Athiest, but just never gotten around to it.

You should give Atheist a chance when you have some spare time, it is very well worth it.

I really like the song "Butterfly" from Pinkerton
The best song Rivers ever wrote, IMO.

The Blue Album probably is their best album overall though.

Very much agreed.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »

45.) Sepultura- Chaos A.D.

Sepultura lost me after this album. No, not just because Max Cavalera left after Roots. But because the music to me, got stale after this album. But Chaos A.D. ...........DAMN! This is GROOVE Metal. It covers so many territories (no pun intended) on this album from Thrash and almost Death Metal, to the Groove Metal that makes it so catchy. Igor Cavalera is absolutely phenomenal on this album and I will say his best work. It's what inspired me to be more free flowing with my own drumming. and the production on this album was stellar for a 1993 Metal album. Everything before Chaos A.D. is some of the finest Thrash/Death Metal out there, but this Chaos A.D. was the perfect transition album, although their transition went wrong....oh so wrong. This is my favorite of the Sepultura discography. Just give a listen to understand why.

Favorite Song: Territory

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
That was a nice comeback album for Blind Guardian after the turd that was Twist.  I prefer Imaginations and Nightfall a little more.

I've had that Sepultura album so long I still own it on cassette tape. :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
That was a nice comeback album for Blind Guardian after the turd that was Twist.  I prefer Imaginations and Nightfall a little more.

I've had that Sepultura album so long I still own it on cassette tape. :metal

I thought there was some great songs on Twist, but yeah, they needed to improve.

I actually own the Cassette as well. got it for free at a garage sale. haha

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »

44.) Carcass- Heartwork

There's not much that needs to be said about one of the best Melodic Death metal bands to ever exist? Heartwork pretty much says it all. While their earlier stuff was by far Grindcore. Heartwork is a transition album, like Chaos A.D. before it,t hat transition them to a more Melodic sound, but unlike Sepultura, it didn't ruin their sound. It's Melodic, it's heavy, it's brutal. And it all fits together so very well. If you are a metal fan, you must own this album, or at least appreciate it for what it is, One of the best Metal albums ever made.

Favorite Song: This Mortal Coil

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »

44.) Carcass- Heartwork

There's not much that needs to be said about one of the best Melodic Death metal bands to ever exist? Heartwork pretty much says it all. While their earlier stuff was by far Grindcore. Heartwork is a transition album, like Chaos A.D. before it,t hat transition them to a more Melodic sound, but unlike Sepultura, it didn't ruin their sound. It's Melodic, it's heavy, it's brutal. And it all fits together so very well. If you are a metal fan, you must own this album, or at least appreciate it for what it is, One of the best Metal albums ever made.

Favorite Song: This Mortal Coil
:metal :metal :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »

43.) Nevermore- Dead Heart In A Dead World

Nevermore, the definition of Progressive Thrash. Dead Heart In A Dead World has it all. When they go fast, they go FAST, then they go Proggy and Technical, they go PROGGY and TECHNICAL. And when they go Melodic, they write some of the most heartfelt, emotional songs that a metal band can do without sounding like they belong at Hot Topic. This album is a staple in 00's Metal music. Newer bands since then wish they could sound like this (All that Remains tried covering Believe In Nothing, while close, it didn't make it up to snuff), but there is only 1 Nevermore. If you want powerfully technical and dark beautiful songs, Dead Heart In A Dead World is for you.

Favorite Song: Dead Heart In A Dead World

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
We seem to have different tastes so far... Hoping for some diversity later on though! :tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
We seem to have different tastes so far... Hoping for some diversity later on though! :tup

Oh you will.....you will.  :biggrin:

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

42.) Redemption- This Mortal Coil

This is BY FAR my favorite Redemption album. I love the Origins Of Ruin (If it wasn't for that, I never would have been able to name their DVD, Frozen In The Moment) But This Mortal Coil...Actually made me cry (Only one other album has done that to me, which will be MUCH later in this countdown). As someone who has a lot of people from different types of cancer, and other terminal illnesses, by the time of No Tickets To The Funeral, just listening to the lyrics made me stream tears. and by the time of Departure Of The Pale Horse, I was practically cheering in my chair. Anytime someone who can survive their health given death-sentence is a hero in  my eyes. It shows us that we can make it in life. And almost most importantly, to appreciate everything we have in life. But besides the concept of this album, the music just kicks fucking ass! Real, True, Progressive Metal. I love every second of this album. And the bonus Disc of Cover songs are so damn cool as well. One of the best Prog Metal albums of the 2010's, without question!

Favorite Song: Departure Of The Pale Horse

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

41.) Mutemath- Mutemath

Back to the left turns already. Mutemath does Prog without actually being Prog. Every song is so different from the next. Electronic, Alternative, Poppy, Prog, Rock. This album is a great chill album for me, even though it does feature some great faster songs like Chaos and Control, songs like You Are Mine are just perfect to sit back and relax and enjoy the music. And their next two albums have been drastically different then their self-titled debut. If that's not Progressive, I don't know what is. If you need a break from the Hard Rock and Metal templates. Get this album, kick back and chill. We all need to do that from time to time.

Favorite Song: Chaos

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
This is an absolutely amazing list so far.  Not familiar with Mutemath, but the rest are all absolutely killer.  Love Redemption, Nevermore, Weezer, Sepultura, In Flames, Athiest and Heartwork is amazing.  Interesting pick for Blind Guardian.  That is probably one of my least fav BG albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »
This is an absolutely amazing list so far.  Not familiar with Mutemath, but the rest are all absolutely killer.  Love Redemption, Nevermore, Weezer, Sepultura, In Flames, Athiest and Heartwork is amazing.  Interesting pick for Blind Guardian.  That is probably one of my least fav BG albums.

Thanks man. I have plenty more great metal albums to come.

Mutemath is one of the best Alternative bands going right now, it's perfect, like I said, to just relax to, while hearing some killer songwriting and instrumentation.

Interesting that ATEOT is your least favorite. I'd  put it at least higher then A Twist In The Myth amongst BG fans.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
Probably my last one for tonight, still getting over the Cold I got.

40.) Muse- Absolution

The Last good Muse album so far. (That's right I said it). There was a couple good songs on Black Holes & Revelations, and The Resistance, just flat out sucked. Absolution on the other hand (like a lot of albums you've noticed that I've mentioned) was Muse reaching their pinnacle. It's what I love in Rock music, left of center, thinking outside the box style alternative Rock with elements of Prog and sparse electronics. I would give anything for Muse to realize that they can still be rockin' without having to sound like a Electronic Pop band, that they have become. Absolution is beautiful in every sense of the word, and is still heavy enough to satisfy any rock and Metal fan. Excellent Musicianship and song writing. Something I really, really miss. Maybe one day. Till then I'll always have Absolution.

Favorite Song- Stockholm Syndrome

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Cool Muse album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »

Thanks man. I have plenty more great metal albums to come.

Mutemath is one of the best Alternative bands going right now, it's perfect, like I said, to just relax to, while hearing some killer songwriting and instrumentation.

Interesting that ATEOT is your least favorite. I'd  put it at least higher then A Twist In The Myth amongst BG fans.

Yeah, definitely, Twist in the Myth is my least fav, followed by ATEOT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.