Author Topic: Van Halen Thread v. Where Have All The Good Times Gone  (Read 60218 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Van Halen Thread--Summer 2015 Tour/Jimmy Kimmel Performance
« Reply #490 on: May 28, 2015, 06:30:50 AM »
Name me a 60 year old rock/metal singer who doesn't.  The only one I can think of is Steve Tyler.

I've found that 60 is right around the wall for rock singers. Paul Stanley, David Coverdale, and even Sammy Hagar isn't what he used to be, although he's still very good for his age. But from some Youtube searching, it doesn't look like he's even attempted Dreams properly in forever (they do an acoustic version where he sings an octave lower), and offloads a some vocals to Michael Anthony, who's also showing his age (or maybe he's just not suited to lead vocals).

DLR's vocal quality itself has held up pretty well all things considered (keeping in mind he was never an amazing straight up vocalist to begin with), but the biggest issue at that age is often just running out of steam, which is why live his phrasing is awful, and he has to modify melodies all over the place to require less effort, so the result is bad.

His vocals on ADKOT are very good though, and it's not a matter of post processing (there's no obvious pitch correction on it, so it must be subtle), it's that he can still pull out a solid vocal in a studio environment where he can take his time. I hope they record another album before he's not able to do that either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #491 on: May 28, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »
My biggest problem with Roth isn't his vocal abilities, but the fact that he is both crazy and a douchebag.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #492 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:56 AM »
Roth was crazy from the beginning and I think that's part of the formula of success of early VH. I think the problem is, that a young Roth could get away with it but an old Roth just seems silly still acting like that.

And I firmly believe that most of the douchebaggery in the music scene, and especially in the VH camp is part of the show.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #493 on: May 28, 2015, 07:33:54 AM »
Roth was crazy from the beginning and I think that's part of the formula of success of early VH. I think the problem is, that a young Roth could get away with it but an old Roth just seems silly still acting like that.
Yeah, most others have realized that they are too old for some shit they used to do, but Roth hangs in there, like a hair in a biscuit.

And I firmly believe that most of the douchebaggery in the music scene, and especially in the VH camp is part of the show.
I think that is far too generous.  Eddie and Dave give all the appearances of being legit douchebags, and Alex less so for going along with it all this time (although that's his gravy train, so I understand).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2015, 07:43:30 AM »
I just think both are bat shit crazy.  I've met people before that say things they believe to be true and those comments are way out there.  Eddie and Dave fall into that category.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
Kwyjibo stole my line. :lol  Roth does a shitty job of singing his own songs now, so imagine him trying to sing the Hagar songs (which are by and large tougher to sing).  Think of Roth trying to sing Dreams or Right Now. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:33 AM »
New Remasters coming..again?
https://bravewords.com/news/van-halen-newly-mastered-versions-of-van-halen-ii-women-and-children-first-fair-warning-and-diver-down-to-be-issued-july-10th-pre-order-available

I haven't bothered to keep up with VH remasters 100%  , but from memory the albums haven't had a genuine remaster since the early 2000's.

If you're referring to the remasters that were announced along with the Tokyo Dome Live disc then that was just VH 1 and 1984.   This is just the announcement for the other four to complete the set.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #498 on: June 11, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
Yes, but didn't they release a box of the 1st 6 albums?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: June 11, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »
Don't hold me to it but I'm pretty sure they were basically the same product as the early 2000's remasters I referred to (which I understand weren't any great improvement - just the opposite according to some).  Presumably these are trying to be a better product.

AFAIK the box you referred to didn't get a US release either.

https://www.antimusic.com/news/13/March/27Van_Halen_Box_Set_Canceled.shtml
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:13:30 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:24 AM »
OK..cool. Apparently no bonus material?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: June 11, 2015, 07:17:08 AM »
OK..cool. Apparently no bonus material?

nope  ::)   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #502 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:32 AM »
Brent, why have we never gotten an official release of the US Festival DVD. Most other bands from that day have released their set. I know the VH has been pretty widely traded, but a cleaned up official release would be great, no?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #503 on: June 11, 2015, 07:23:27 AM »
Brent, why have we never gotten an official release of the US Festival DVD. Most other bands from that day have released their set. I know the VH has been pretty widely traded, but a cleaned up official release would be great, no?

Since the answer to every Van Halen-related "Why?" question is "Eddie is a douche," I will assume that is the answer for this one as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: June 11, 2015, 07:27:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure I have that on a VHS somewhere  :lol - totally useless :)   Well aside from Dave being twice as wasted as usual for that gig (I don't think they want it released) , my understanding is that the band don't own the footage.......some mob called Historic Film Archive or some such.

EDIT......looks like I was right.  This tidied up footage was let out a while back and has their watermark all over it.  I am not sure how other bands went about their releases.

https://youtu.be/TMKqK2PYPwU

Just as an aside someone on Youtube posted some amazing footage of VH in 1979 with Dave absolutely nailing every single word/scream a year or so ago..........it would change a lot of people's opinions of DLR live if they saw that.  He was great live for a year or two there :lol Unfortunately I didn't think to try and find a way to capture it and it was taken down in no time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:33:20 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #505 on: June 19, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: June 20, 2015, 04:33:42 AM »
I'm not seeing anything in there to get worked up over. This is rock.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: June 20, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
Sammy certainly got worked up over it

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #509 on: June 20, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »

No one is worked up, but you're okay with the way EVH completely trashed and belittled Michael Anthony?   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #510 on: June 20, 2015, 06:55:19 AM »
It's too bad Eddie has to publicly continue to do this.  His issues have hurt VH in every way.  Especially since he was the driving force early on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: June 20, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »

No one is worked up, but you're okay with the way EVH completely trashed and belittled Michael Anthony?   

I'm not happy about it, but it doesn't bother me. He definitely underrates the importance of Michael Anthony to the band, but he wasn't all that far off the mark either. As much as I hate to admit it, Wolfgang is a much better player (despite being a fat potato on stage), and hearing Anthony sing some lead parts on Youtube recently, he doesn't have that strong a voice, his style and range was just well suited to harmonies.
I love Michael Anthony as much as the next guy, and would rather him in the band than kid Wolfie, but this isn't news we haven't heard before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: June 20, 2015, 06:58:53 AM »
Whether or not his kid is better is not the point; saying Anthony was so bad that he had to be shown every bass lick is just such a low blow.  I think Hagar needs to lay off of his tequila if he really thinks Anthony is a top 5 rock bass player :lol, but that's just him sticking up for his pal.  EVH has shown himself over the years to be one of the biggest dickheads in rock, and this is just another chapter in that book. It's why I refuse to ever give Van Halen another cent.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:11 AM »
I'll give EVH money for as long as he puts out great music (which he did with ADKOT). Couldn't care less about anything else, as it's irrelevant to the quality of the music. EVH is mid-range rock jerk at best.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
Mikey response was good. EVH comments just hurt the fans and no one else, I'm glad he took and has always taken the high road.  And to honestly think Mikey's background vocals were not a bug part of the VH sound is wrong, I love his background vocals... And honestly I can't say I care if he isn't the greatest player... He didn't need to be.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: June 20, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
Ed taught Mikey everything he knows but Ed had some help himself.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: June 22, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »
It's too bad Eddie has to publicly continue to do this.  His issues have hurt VH in every way.  Especially since he was the driving force early on.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #517 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:31 AM »
I'll give EVH money for as long as he puts out great music (which he did with ADKOT). Couldn't care less about anything else, as it's irrelevant to the quality of the music. EVH is mid-range rock jerk at best.

Hagar responds (no surprise, whether he's wrong or right he also likes to hear his own voice), and everyone has his name up in the press and the internet. Misson accomplished  :biggrin:

And I've heard so many interviews with EVH and he said so many things and he contradicted himself so many times, I automatically believe only 50% of what he's saying. And even that number may be far too high.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #518 on: June 22, 2015, 06:27:35 AM »
Sure, Hagar responds; he is his own biggest fan.  But AFAIK, he isn't a lying asshole fuck like EVH is.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #519 on: June 22, 2015, 06:40:59 AM »
I'm not trying to defend EVH, but I have a hard time believing that one loudmouth (Hagar) always speaks the truth and another loudmouth (Eddie) is always lying. And Roth will probably tell a whole different story when and if he replies.

The truth is out there but it's with neither of them.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #520 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:58 AM »
There are certainly two sides to every story.

But when telling the same story, I will believe Hagar's rendition more often than Eddie's.  Frankly, he doesn't come off like a douche like Eddie does, and has always given credit where credit is due (unlike Eddie), and he doesn't have anything to gain by lying, so he doesn't have a reason to do so.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #521 on: June 22, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »
Yep.  EVH will take every opportunity he can to shit on anybody whose last name isn't "Van Halen".  I love him as a player, but he's one of the most egotistical shitheads on the planet.  If it comes down to believing Sammy or Eddie, I'll believe Sammy every time.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #522 on: June 22, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
Yep.  EVH will take every opportunity he can to shit on anybody whose last name isn't "Van Halen".  I love him as a player, but he's one of the most egotistical shitheads on the planet.  If it comes down to believing Sammy or Eddie, I'll believe Sammy every time.
:metal

Also, by his own admission in that article, Eddie doesn't really listen to other music.  I don't trust that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #523 on: June 22, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »
Sure, Hagar responds; he is his own biggest fan.  But AFAIK, he isn't a lying asshole fuck like EVH is.

Correct.  I am not aware of him lying.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #524 on: June 22, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
:metal

Also, by his own admission in that article, Eddie doesn't really listen to other music.  I don't trust that.

Well, to be fair, Michael Schenker says the exact same thing.  He doesn't listen to any other music.  I find that very very difficult to believe, but in the case of MS, I can't figure what he would gain from lying about it.  With EVH, eh.  Dunno.  Lying would just be part of his behavioral makeup, really.