Author Topic: Van Halen Thread v. Where Have All The Good Times Gone  (Read 60248 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Van Halen Thread--2012 Tour Dates and New Album
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:58 AM »
(are you talking about the one that goes "swamp meet sally, tramp stamp tat..."

yea that part. i dont like it

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »

Oh please. That's your response? LOL
Cause will all know pop music and number 1 hits equate to great music right.

Not necessarily, but if a song goes to number 1, by definition, it is NOT a weak pop song, as you called it.  Throwing in the "My 11-year old writes more interesting stuff on the keyboard" line, or whatever exactly it was that you said, just sounds silly.  Anyone can say that and be full of shit, so it means nothing. 

What is your favorite song?  Oh, yeah?  I wrote something more interesting on the guitar last night, and I don't even play!  But prove that I didn't. 

See what I mean?  Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Since Tattoo is a reworking of a 70's era song,  I wonder if Michael Anthony will get royalties from it.  After listening to the prototype,  I think the new one is terrible,  but if MA get's some writing credit,  I hope it's a smash success.

Considering how bad EVH's drunk ass was on the last tour,  I suspect I'll be sitting this one out.  I'll be happy to change my mind if it turns out he's got his act together, though. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
Since Tattoo is a reworking of a 70's era song,  I wonder if Michael Anthony will get royalties from it.  After listening to the prototype,  I think the new one is terrible,  but if MA get's some writing credit,  I hope it's a smash success.

Considering how bad EVH's drunk ass was on the last tour,  I suspect I'll be sitting this one out.  I'll be happy to change my mind if it turns out he's got his act together, though. 

Pretty sure he got sober before they worked on this album, and still sober as far as I know. Anyone's guess as to whether that lasts once they're out on tour, which I believe is when it fell apart last time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »
Just for grins, checked the price of a ticket at MSG.     149.00 plus fees?   
I'll be watching the youtube vids on this one.

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
instead,  I am going to see Unchained, the mighty Van Halen tribute band at BB Kings for 10 bucks.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »

Not necessarily, but if a song goes to number 1, by definition, it is NOT a weak pop song, as you called it.  Throwing in the "My 11-year old writes more interesting stuff on the keyboard" line, or whatever exactly it was that you said, just sounds silly.  Anyone can say that and be full of shit, so it means nothing. 

What is your favorite song?  Oh, yeah?  I wrote something more interesting on the guitar last night, and I don't even play!  But prove that I didn't. 

I get it, I was disrespecting a weak song. My daughter is actually a VERY talented musician who plays violin, guitar, and keyboards. and all of them well. That's not saying she could write Jump, I'm just saying she comes up with great hooks on her board.
but please don't tell me that if a song goes to number 1 it can't be a weak song. That one I won't give ya. People have pretty bad taste in music.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
Achy Breaky Heart is proof that songs landing at #1 on the charts means absolutely fuck all about how good it actually is.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
^^^  Billy Ray reportedly gave his wife an itchy twitchy twat after bringing home STDs from the tour.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2012, 11:24:20 AM »

I get it, I was disrespecting a weak song. My daughter is actually a VERY talented musician who plays violin, guitar, and keyboards. and all of them well. That's not saying she could write Jump, I'm just saying she comes up with great hooks on her board.
but please don't tell me that if a song goes to number 1 it can't be a weak song. That one I won't give ya. People have pretty bad taste in music.
People have shitty tastes in football teams as well  ::)
Also if millions of people really like a song, that kind of points to the fact that it's not shitty.  You may not like it, but that's your musical tastes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
I thought lowest price for tickets at MSG were 63 after charges? I paid 90 for a seat in the last row when they toured with Sammy.

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
only ones left at MSG are 149.   I wouldn't pay that.  I paid 93.00 for great seats last time I saw VH, around 2004.    Considered it to be a great show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
lol, no one wants to pay that price. Bummed though, i was considering going for the cheaper seats but wanted to hear the album first before deciding, i guess the decision has been made for me.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »
that seems like alot to see 3/4 of the original lineup, especially now that its the second time out for them

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »
I just checked from my phone, but the general sale doesnt start till saturday.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
only ones left at MSG are 149.   I wouldn't pay that.  I paid 93.00 for great seats last time I saw VH, around 2004.    Considered it to be a great show.

I paided $110 and I thought it was an ok show.  I don't know, it just didn't click with me like other shows I've seen by them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Vivace

« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
 :rollin

They see e trollin'
 :chill
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
 :rollin

They see e trollin'
 :chill
You tell me I'm smoking and that's fine. I respond and I'm trollin.  Don't want to sidetrack this thread any further. Sorry if I offended you.

Anyhow, the song is growing on me. Sometimes I think I expect too much from Van Halen. They have always pumped out these types of songs and I have always managed to crank them up and enjoy them for waht they are.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
The problem is that it doesn't sound like VH at all to me.  The song itself could,  as evidenced by the original,  but the guitar sound and lead and backing vocals all sound very generic.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »
The problem is that it doesn't sound like VH at all to me.  The song itself could,  as evidenced by the original,  but the guitar sound and lead and backing vocals all sound very generic.

It doesn't have the VH flare to it.  Mabye the rest of the album will so I'm keeping an open mind on it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »

It doesn't have the VH flare to it.  Mabye the rest of the album will so I'm keeping an open mind on it.

It still sounds distinctly like VH to me, but it is definitely missing that extra "VH flare", as you put it. That doesn't make it a bad song, but it definitely leaves me expecting a bit more from the rest of the album.

Balance is completely missing that VH flare for me too, much more so than Tattoo, which is why I consider it one of VH's weakest albums. Hopefully this album doesn't have the same problem.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Yeah.  When I think of the DVR era, I think of the "flare" I'm talking about.  Like I said I will buy this album.  I'm not saying Tattoo is bad but just lacks "Umph" to it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »
The song and video is quite depressing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Finally watched the video... very underwhelmed to say the least.  Even after reading what everyone said, I still thought maybe this song wasnt that bad, but no.  It is that bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
Getting back to W&CF for a minute, Loss of Control..what a waste of an awesome EVH lead. That lead that kicks in at the 6-second mark is awesome as hell, but it is the only redeeming thing about the song.  The rest of the song is a total letdown. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
Actually, I thought the song wasn't bad.  I haven't really been remotely a VH fan for quite some time.  But this actually sounds pretty true to Roth-era VH while having just enough of a modern edge to not sounded dated, IMO.  Not great, but not bad.

EDIT:  And by way of background, I was a fan since VHI.  I liked songs here and there from the other Roth albums, but didn't really like any albums as a whole after I.  Loved the Hagar albums, but for some reason lost interest by Balance.  III really turned me off and made me start to actively dislike the band.  Couple that with the fact that when I saw them on the Balance tour, they were incredibly boring, and the stuff that happened after with Sammy and Mike, etc....just not a fan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:40:16 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
I remember the highlight of the show we saw on the Balance tour was when they brought back and played 5150.  That was killer. :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
I'm second guessing my memory for a second here.  It was the tour where they had the Tibetan monks come out and do the throat chanting for the intro.  That was the Balance tour, wasn't it?  I forget who the opener was, but that's because they were pretty forgettable.  Standard '90s pop-rock band whose name I can't remember.  Saw them at the Target Center in Minneapolis in '95.  Most boring rock show I've ever seen.  Ever.  Hands down.  Sammy was the only member who was slightly entertaining to watch.  Everyone else looked either exhausted, bored, or just unhappy to be there, and the music sounded phoned-in.

Saw Fear Factory, Flotsam & Jetsam, Korn, and Megadeth the day before that show, and that was a MUCH better show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
I don't remember that intro, but that sounds about right given that The Seventh Seal kicked off Balance and probably kicked off the shows on that tour.  I won't hold their lack of enthusiasm on stage against them considering EVH was recovering from a hip injury and Alex was recovering from hurting his neck. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
I'm second guessing my memory for a second here.  It was the tour where they had the Tibetan monks come out and do the throat chanting for the intro.  That was the Balance tour, wasn't it?  I forget who the opener was, but that's because they were pretty forgettable.  Standard '90s pop-rock band whose name I can't remember.  Saw them at the Target Center in Minneapolis in '95.  Most boring rock show I've ever seen.  Ever.  Hands down.  Sammy was the only member who was slightly entertaining to watch.  Everyone else looked either exhausted, bored, or just unhappy to be there, and the music sounded phoned-in.

I have seen Van Halen 3 times in my life. The first was 1980 on the Woman And Children First tour. Great show.
The next 2 times were both shows filmed in New Haven for the Live Without A Net Video tape. I thought those shows were electric and I thought the whole 5150 album was amazing. I couldn't stand Sammy Hagar before he joined VH. I was amazed at the chemistry they had on stage on that tour. They were better in those shows then the one I saw with DLR.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
my parents were at the live without a net show too!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
It's alright.  The music they did in the past is a lot better, but you can't have your poundcake and eat it, I suppose. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
What did they think of the first tour with Sammy? I loved it!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
they are pretty big van hagar fans. i think my dad actually likes sammy better. i lean that way sometimes

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
What did they think of the first tour with Sammy? I loved it!

Loved how they opened with there's only one way to rock, my favorite part of that DVD.