Author Topic: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase  (Read 16414 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
I'm sorry, but imo the streaming selection got old real quickly. Totally not worth the money as far as I'm concerned. When I paid 9.99 for both it was well worth it. I ditched Netflix a few months ago and I don't miss it one bit.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
I wasn't crazy about the price increase, but for me the cost is still worth it.  My wife and I use NetFlix almost exclusively for watching television series that we never watched when they were actually on TV.  For example, right now we're plowing our way through "Lost," "Breaking Bad," and "Rescue Me."  Generally, we go through one or two DVDs per week since we don't really watch a lot of stuff on regular commercial TV at night.  So even if we're only averaging 6 DVDs per month, that's $1.66 per DVD and that includes the postage.

I always thought their pricing model was generous and I've been telling my wife since we signed up "they're going to spend a few years getting people hooked on this then they're going to jack the prices up"

Sure enough, that's just what they did when the opportunity (splitting the streaming and DVD by mail service) presented itself.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
I wasn't crazy about the price increase, but for me the cost is still worth it.  My wife and I use NetFlix almost exclusively for watching television series that we never watched when they were actually on TV.  For example, right now we're plowing our way through "Lost," "Breaking Bad," and "Rescue Me."  Generally, we go through one or two DVDs per week since we don't really watch a lot of stuff on regular commercial TV at night.  So even if we're only averaging 6 DVDs per month, that's $1.66 per DVD and that includes the postage.

I always thought their pricing model was generous and I've been telling my wife since we signed up "they're going to spend a few years getting people hooked on this then they're going to jack the prices up"

Sure enough, that's just what they did when the opportunity (splitting the streaming and DVD by mail service) presented itself.
They lost a shitload of customers in 2011.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »
Netflix was one of the worst ran companies of 2011. I still like the dvd service, the streaming got old after like 6 monthes, but after taking time off, id consider starting up the streaming if they get a better selection.

Offline Cable

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

Yeah, they did.

But I agree completely with Kirk.

My wife and I ditched cable all together; were not home enough, and the price for what we got was awful. So we did Netflix before the service split, and I actually said "I would pay more for this." It was underpriced, considering they threw streaming in the packages. Even now, I could make the case. I think a lot of the complaining comes from people who use this to plus their cable options... so when the 8 dollars a month is suddenly raised, yeah, it is kind of shocking. But even if they were to raise their prices again, it would still be less than what we would pay for cable.

We did cut the streaming, solely based on our slow internet speeds and Wii interface not buffering streams. But we bumped up our discs to 3 out at a time from 2, and it has been quite good.
---

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »

Yeah, they did.

My wife and I ditched cable all together; were not home enough, and the price for what we got was awful. So we did Netflix before the service split, and I actually said "I would pay more for this." It was underpriced, considering they threw streaming in the packages. Even now, I could make the case. I think a lot of the complaining comes from people who use this to plus their cable options... so when the 8 dollars a month is suddenly raised, yeah, it is kind of shocking. But even if they were to raise their prices again, it would still be less than what we would pay for cable.

We did cut the streaming, solely based on our slow internet speeds and Wii interface not buffering streams. But we bumped up our discs to 3 out at a time from 2, and it has been quite good.
I'm a big sports fan so Netflix is no substitute for cable. I just think the steaming service is chock full of garbage. That's my opinion.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
In my experience if there's a movie I want to watch, it's not on Netflix. Streaming is really only good for TV shows.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
Their streaming service's strength is TV. I cant wait for cable to die so all TV can just be streamed whenever I want it to.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
There's plenty of movies to stream (notice I didn't say 'good movies'), but yeah, the selection really isn't there yet. The TV streaming is great though.

Between Netflix and Hulu, I don't actually watch TV anymore. Too inconvenient!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
Okay, I just unlinked my Netflix account with Facebook. I share my account with my sister and I just got a text saying: "LOL, YOU'RE WATCHING TEEN MOM" :lol

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »
Is it just me or is the streaming service losing movies?  I remember watching Zombieland and Full Metal Jacket on there a long time ago and now they are add only.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »
They have lost some recently; some of their licensing deals with the studios expired and weren't renewed.  I'm pretty sure they have different contracts for DVD and streaming.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
Is it just me or is the streaming service losing movies?  I remember watching Zombieland and Full Metal Jacket on there a long time ago and now they are add only.

Every title has a license with a specific amount of time it will be available to stream. If the license isn't renewed, the title gets pulled.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2012, 06:24:59 AM »
Yeah, I believe Staz play is done. Most of the good movies came from them.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »

Yeah, they did.

I'm a big sports fan so Netflix is no substitute for cable. I just think the steaming service is chock full of garbage. That's my opinion.

Yeah, looking at what they offer on there, I probably wouldn't bother with the streaming.  But for us, 2 DVDs is definitely worth what we're paying.