Author Topic: Zantera's top 50 albums (Finished!)  (Read 24140 times)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's top 50 albums (If you follow this I love you)
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
Oh Oh Oh I'll follow!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
I'll follow, but you've only posted one album I would be interested in so far, so I can't promise that I'll stay.   :)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
A lot albums of bands that I used to be very interested in, but never checken and thus lost interest in.

If you follow me.

But I'll be checking this out!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, it's always interesting reading feedback and other positive comments. :)
As promised, I'm here with the second update for today, some more "known" picks around this forum then the first update today.

41. The Dear Hunter - Act II (2007)

The Dear Hunter is fairly popular here on DTF, so many of you are probably already familiar with them.
When I first heard of this band, I decided to check out Act III through a recommendation from Rich, and I fell in love with the album almost instantly. Despite really loving Act III, for the longest time I never got further then that, it wasn't until late 2010/very early 2011 when I heard the news about The Color Spectrum, and I was somehow reminded that I had more listening to do with this band. Act II was a really big grower, the first time I heard it I knew it had high potential, and I continued to listen to it more and more, and it became better and better. I haven't done much research about the concept and the story in the Act-albums, but musically I just love them (and the band in general), it's a nice mix of genres, resulting in a neat little Progressive package.
Act II is the band's second album, and I think it's slightly more mature then the first (Act I), and has stronger songs then the follow-up (Act III), all in all a superb album.
This album has so many standout songs that it's almost impossible to pick them, while The Color Spectrum was a huge achievement by the band, I still think this album is their finest work.

Favorite songs: Red Hands, The Lake and the River & Smiling Swine.

40. Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (1999)

Sigur Rós became one of my biggest music discoveries last year, a band that is truly unique in every way. One of the big questions is where they fit in musically, while their music fits under the Post-Rock label, they still have a distinctive sound that few other bands come close to, incorporating elements from genres like ambient and noise into the music as well.
Jonsi has to be one of the most unique singers I know, while many of the lyrics are in Icelandic, (some are even in hopelandic, which is jibberish), many people think that Jonsi's singing becomes another instrument with the music, and I think that's a valid point. I have very little knowledge about what the songs are really about, but they still manage to evoke emotions within me, and they have created some of the most beautiful songs I know.
Ágætis byrjun is the band's second album, also considered their breakthrough by most people, and it was the album that really opened doors for the band. They have a very natural "down to earth"-feel, the music has the classic instruments like guitar, bass and drums, but there's also a lot of focus on piano, especially on this album.
This album is incredibly strong, I don't think it has a single weak point throughout, and it's only flaw (for me) is that it has the tough competition of battling with two other Sigur Rós albums who are just as good.

Favorite songs: Ágætis byrjun, Svefn-g-englar & Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása.

39. Tori Amos - Under the Pink (1994)

When I talked about Sigur Rós just before, I said that they were one of my biggest discoveries in 2011. If there's any discovery I consider equal or even greater, it's Tori Amos who I also really fell in love with last year. I had known about her for about 2-3 years perhaps, but I didn't feel "ready" to check out her music, I had heard so many good things about it that I wanted to make sure that I was prepared for what was to come, and not in a mood that I would reject it.
I started going through her discography chronologically, and since this is her second album it didn't take long before I had fallen in love with the music. I also want to point out that her discography overall is incredibly strong, so narrowing it down to just a few albums was almost impossible.
While her debut-album (Little Earthquakes) was fantastic on it's own, Under the Pink is possibly more mature, slightly more polished and maybe a tad more variety. It has more simple piano-songs focusing on Tori's singing (and combined playing), some songs are more band-oriented, and the album closes with the majestic and epic, 9 ½ minute song - Yes, Anastasia.
The album also has her arguably most known song, Cornflake Girl which was a really big hit in the 90's, and still remains one of her most famous songs. Tori Amos could in some ways be described as a female version of Steven Wilson, she has an amazing ability at writing catchy songs, she has proven over the years that she masters many different genres, and I think that one of the best things about her is that she creates albums that are good all the way through. Even some of her more "hated" albums (by fans), "American Doll Posse" or "The Beekeeper" still have very much a great concept, an album-feel and personally I think they're still fine. Anyhow, to not drift off completely, I'd recommend her to anyone who enjoys piano-music, catchy songs or just good music in general.

Favorite songs: Cornflake Girl, Cloud on My Tongue & Yes, Anastasia.

More updates to come!  :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
Agaetis Byrjun is their best to me. :heart :heart

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
So far I have heard none of these albums haha.

I thought you would have heard Opeth at least
I'm actually not a massive Opeth fan. I have a few of their albums but that's not one of them. I have heard a few songs from that Eisley album though, but not the whole thing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
Just recently got into The Dear Hunter and I'm liking it a lot. Sigur Ros is awesome all the way. Great update  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »
Oh Oh Oh I'll follow!

Great picks so far, too.

Offline jag66

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »
Agaetis Byrjun is their best to me. :heart :heart

This album would probably make my top 10  :hefdaddy

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
Wow, I've heard all these, they are all great! Great picks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »
 :-[ The Dear Hunter out of the running. While I agree that Act Two is their best, I have it placed much, much higher.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
TDH is really cool.  I love listening to all three Acts in one sitting
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
Love Act II

Tori as brilliant as she is, I can only take her in small amounts.

And I hear so much about Sigur Rós but never tried them.  Another on my list to give a whirl.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
Great list so far!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
Great list so far!

Yeah definitely better than Ryan's list

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
I'll follow, but you've only posted one album I would be interested in so far, so I can't promise that I'll stay.   :)

Seems like kind of a pessimistic attitude to approach with. Maybe give some of them a try and it will change your mind on something?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »

Seems like kind of a pessimistic attitude to approach with. Maybe give some of them a try and it will change your mind on something?

This.. There's good music in every genre so it's important to hear for yourself.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Seems weird to follow these lists just based on how much you agree with them or what may or may not interest you, but whatever.

Under the Pink is a great choice. :tup

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
I read all of these even if I don't post. It's always interesting to read about others' tastes in music.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »
I read all of these even if I don't post. It's always interesting to read about others' tastes in music.

I do the same. I've read through everyone's list even ones who might not list a lot of bands I enjoy. Will be reading here!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:40 AM »
Popping in to give you this morning's update, but for most of you I guess it's rather late.  :biggrin:
Anyhow, as I've done the previous days I'll also update later today, but for now.. here are the next 3:

38. Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News (2004)

Let's take a walk down memory lane.
Jump back two years, I spent the summer at my aunt's house with my dad and sister. During the week we spent there, I had the important job of deciding/picking all the music for playing in the car, and since I had recently purchased this album, it was one of the 4 or 5 that I chose.
This album was spinned quite a lot that week, when we were out driving in the nice summer-weather, and while the music it self has some sadder songs, all in all it was an experience I won't forget. Cranking up "Float On" on high volume while driving was epic, this album quickly went from a new album, to an album I felt like I had known for my whole life.
This is Indie Rock at it's finest, many people talk about bands like Bands of Horses and Arcade Fire, and while those are certainly great, this album remains one of the best within the genre for me. It has some songs that are impossible not to sing along with, and it's a well crafted album all in all. After falling in love with this album, I checked up the follow-up, "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank", but sadly it didn't click nearly as much. I've been meaning to check out more of their earlier stuff, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Luckily we still have this superb album.  :tup

Favorite songs: Float On, The World at Large & The Good Times are Killing Me.

37. Björk - Vespertine (2001)

Next up we have the queen of electronica/pop with lots of experimental stuff included, of course I'm talking about Björk!
I can honestly say that Sonata here on the forum was the reason I checked her out, and it was at the perfect time also, cause I had already developed a bit of an interest in electronic music, so Björk really fitted into that. I soon discovered however that Björk was so much more then just electronic or pop, and that all of her albums are very unique.
This album is her fifth album, and considered by many to be her best album. (myself included)
An interesting fact is that I got into this album during summer-time, and listened to it almost endlessly, but I would almost classify it more as a winter-album, both because of the cover and the music, but also because of song-names like "Frosti" and "Aurora".
Björk has a really special voice that might take time getting used to, but when you do it's just so worth it. Her music is really interesting and has tons of layers, even though I've listened to some of her albums loads of times, I can still hear new things underneath it all.
This album is perfect for winter mornings for me, I tend to listen to it if it's chilly outside.

Favorite songs: Hidden Place, Aurora & Harm of Will.

36. Amplifier - Amplifier (2004)

This is an album that I really wanted to rank higher, but I still consider the band and this album a fairly new acquaintance, but it certainly has the potential to climb more.
Amplifier is sort of the brother-band of Oceansize, they are both from Manchester and they are both in the sort of "modern prog"-genre, though there's certainly differences between the bands. When Oceansize broke up earlier this year, Steve Durose (guitar) joined Amplifier, and they're one of my current favorites, and they have only released 3 albums, this is their debut album.
For those wanting more Oceansize-related trivia, Mike Vennart and Steve Durose both perform backing vocals on the songs "Panzer" and "UFOs", these bands were really tight, for those who are are huge Oceansize-fans like myself, there's a song called "Sizeofanocean" where Sel Balamir of Amplifier sings backing vocals and plays guitar as well, so they really enjoyed playing with each other.
Anyhow, to this album instead. Imagine of Oceansize, Tool, Pink Floyd (and to some extent) Black Sabbath had an orgie which resulted in a child. That child would be Amplifier.
Their music is unbelievably epic considering that they are only a trio, they have a very nice mix of mellow parts and heavy parts, and they have an almost "wall of sound"-guitar vibe, which is especially noticeably on the heavier songs.
As I said I wanted to rank this album higher, because out of the 10 songs on it, I would rank all of them 8/10 or higher, several perfect songs on this album, and while it has a certain sound throughout, it still never gets boring or dull.
(Just want to point out that there are 2 different versions of the album, one has 13 songs, the other has 14 songs, but spread out on two albums with 10 on the main disc, I have the latter)
The album is a perfect modern Progressive album, mixing elements of metal and Space Rock into it, resulting in a very fresh and modern sound.
I'm in a huge Amplifier-period right now actually, and I've been spinning their albums a lot the last week, and this album just gets better with time. The incredible thing is that, after every song you almost think "it cant get better then this", and then it does.
Truly fantastic debut-album, one of the best on that field.  :hefdaddy

Favorite songs: Airborne, Post Acid Youth & UFOs. 

I dedicate this post to Sonata (The Björk and Modest Mouse-parts at least!), and I'll be back later today with an update.  :tup

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:01:36 AM by Zantera »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 04:00:58 AM »
Wow, I'm very interested in checking out that Amplifier album after reading your description! Sounds like something I would love.

Offline jag66

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 04:15:37 AM »
Surprised to see MM - good album though. Bjork  :heart

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 04:46:53 AM »
Haven't heard of these but I'll get round to them one day!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »
Nice read... loads to check out!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
Vespertine is amazing. I definitely agree with you that it's Bjork's best album.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
FUCK YES RIVER EMPIRES AND KAKI KING!

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
Whoa awesome picks so far definitely will be following this list!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Hey ho! Time for the second update for today, I brought some more albums.  :angel:

35. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt (2010)

Time for a solo musician, when we dive into the next pick, Swedish singer/songwriter Kristian Matsson. (more known as The Tallest Man on Earth) This is his second full length album which came out in 2010, apart from this one he has also released one other full length album, and two EP's.
This is another artist I picked up through DTF, some people would probably assume that me being Swedish would result in me knowing him before everyone else, but sadly he hasn't become as big here as he has internationally. Luckily he has gotten bigger though.  :tup This album and his debut (Shallow Grave) are very close for me quality-wise, and it's by a very small margin that I prefer this album. One reason could be that it was the album I started with, much thanks to recommendations from Sander (Voxyn), and while his voice took some getting used to, I just fell in love with it after a while. It's unique, it's personal, and that really is an important feature for a singer/songwriter.
The Wild Hunt is perhaps slightly more polished then Shallow Grave, it features some of his best songs, and some of hist most known songs, like "King of Spain" for example.
This guy is only 28 years old, but he has already done so much good stuff, that it makes me very excited about following him in the future.
For people who love acoustic, singer/songwriter music that touches the deep corners of your soul.  :tup

Favorite songs: Love is All, Troubles Will Be Gone & Kids on the Run.

34. Pain of Salvation - Entropia (1997)

As many here on the forum knows, I've loved this band for ages...... Nah, just kidding.  :lol
I tried to get into the band for the longest time, and while I felt like there was something "there", I just didn't get it to click, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the band. (to put it mildly) Anyhow, when I bought tickets to see Opeth last year, I saw that Pain of Salvation would be the opening band, so I figured, "this is probably the best shot I have at getting into them, ever."
Instead of listening to Scarsick and Road Salt One (which was pretty much what I had tried before), I decided to check out some of their other albums, and I started with Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake.
Entropia especially clicked huge for me, and for the longest time I even considered it their best album. (Now I think it's tied with two of their other albums) It's one of those almost perfect debut albums, the first song on the album (Foreword) is one of the band's best songs, and I think that in 6 minutes it manages to sum up what Pain of Salvation is all about, and we are talking about a very diverse band here. I think that accomplishment is rather brilliant, coming from the first song on their first album. Being a Progressive Metal-band, I think that this album fits more under that label then some of their latter albums, while they still have heaviness, I feel like they have drifted more towards the "Prog Rock"-label then Metal, but when they want to be heavy, they can be really heavy. Apart from the brilliant opening-song I have already mentioned, it has more songs that are among some of their best, "classics" like "Winning a War", "People Passing By", "Nightmist" and "Oblivion Ocean".
This album clocks in at roughly 70 minutes, and it is packed with quality music. This album is one of the best debut-albums I know. but there are a few more on the list (which we will get to later)

Favorite songs: ! (Foreword), Winning a War & Nightmist.

33. Tori Amos - Abnormally Attracted to Sin (2009)

I'll go ahead and claim it right away: MOST CONTROVERSIAL PICK on my list.
This is a more modern album by Tori Amos (compared to Under the Pink from 92 earlier on my list), and to put it softly, an album most fans have fairly lukewarm feelings about.
As most of you already know, I certainly don't care about what other fans think, and I went into this album being 100% neutral, despite bad things I had read.
While this album maybe doesn't have the sort of "album-sound" that many of her albums has, I think it's packed with variety and very interesting genres being tackled.
"Police Me" starts off almost industrial and has that vibe throughout the verses, but when the chorus kicks in, it's almost that spring time-feel that the chorus from "Blackest Eyes" by Porcupine Tree has, a stunning turn. "Give" is a pretty dark and electronic little piece, "Lady in Blue" is quite possibly her best closing song on any album, "That Guy" sounds like it could have been the theme song to a Bond-movie or something like that, a song that has a very strong "musical"-feel to it. I could be namedropping for ages, I think that almost all of the songs on this album are interesting and well executed, some more then others, but despite what many people say, I think this is a brilliant album.
"Lady in Blue", "That Guy", "Fast Horse" and "Fire to Your Plain" are some of her best songs IMO.

Favorite songs: Lady in Blue, That Guy, Fast Horse & Fire to Your Plain.

More updates tomorrow!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »
THE WILD HUNT!!!!! :heart :heart

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
Haven't heard Tallest Man but the other two are great picks! Though not my favourite albums by those artists they are still great :tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
I need to listen to Entropia...
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »
I'm following and definitely need to check out Tallest man on earth, Amplifier and Alcest.

But where's Post Rock? When I was still lurking I always thought you were one of the biggest Post-Rock Fans around here?

Fake Edit: Just saw Sigur Ros at number 40... my fail...

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Hm, Amplifier sounds pretty interesting...

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
Lots of great picks (TDH, MM, SR), a few meh things (Tallest Man on Earth I'm looking at you), and some stuff I've yet to check out, like Tori.

But good picks so far overall!
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.