Author Topic: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Final round results up, winner announced  (Read 36487 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - The bloodbath begins!!
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »
I probably shouldn't be poking the bear until he finishes the last round in his own roulette!

I take back what I said, you were unjustly punished due to your your unique submission.

A bit to the left, and smaller circles bud.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
Fogey Fight!

:corn
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
 :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
When are you announcing the round 2 results?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
Round 2: The Trials

(note: deaths are not in order of song ranking)

The remaining brave adventurers, having braved the charge up the hill, were surprised to be greeted by sentry upon reaching the gate.  "Congratulations on making it this far.   Please enjoy a beverage of your choice and a concert DVD to watch while you recover."  As the adventures relaxed the sentry approached one of the adventurers.
"I assume you took all the food orders.  Wait...you're not from the kitchen staff.  You must be an assassin, we know women don't listen to prog metal."
With that, the sentry knocked out Obscure and took her to the kitchen, where she was sentenced to 1 year of sammich making.

After their hearty meal, the sentry gatherered the remaining DTF warriors were ushered into a small room by the sentry.
"Your fate awaits you at the end of this hallway.  Sadly, most of you will not make it.  Starting with you.  We let Nekoc through, not Nekov.  This mistake will now be corrected."  The sentry promptly ripped out Nekov's heart and showed it to him before his death.  Before leaving, the sentry tapped Sigz on the shoulder.
"Nice to see you again, Steven Wilson.  It's a shame Neal Morse didn't survive."

It was obvious that this hallway has not been occupied recently, as spider webs and stale air filled the place.  A large spider skittered across the hall and rested on YtseBitsySpider's foot.  Iarwain quickly doused the spider with spider poison, as well as YBS, who's final words were https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtFHl0r28Q#t=0m16s.  The sentry reappeared and promptly decapitated Iarwain.  "No one kills anything here except us.  That includes spiders.  Damnit people the hallway is supposed to be killing you, not me."

The first challenge the adventures came across was old man.  "Tell me your claim to fame, and I will determine who doesn't proceed."  Kari changed into a cute kitten, which appeased the man.  Metty claimed his importance to petroleum production and was spared.  LLtWM claimed he wanted to grow the biggest afro, and was given a baseball card of Oscar Gamble to inspire him.  jingle.boy sang the ronery song and got a chuckle. 
The King in Crimson was humble which impressed the man.  Wolfking claimed he was the king of wolves.  "I keep wolves as pets, lets see if they obey you." chortled the old man.  Somewhere between the wolves growling and pouncing upon the supposed wolf king his royalty was proven false.

"I'm the ultimate metal head." Proudly claimed UMH.  The old man responded by simultaneously headbanging and headbutting UMH until UMH's head resembled pudding.  "Titanium skull." replied the old man.

Ytserush showed pictures of his music collection, which impressed the old man.  The man then asked where ytserush lived so they could hang out sometime.  After jotting down his address and giving it to the man, he was quickly dispatched by the old man.  "My collection now.  Have fun storming the castle!"

The remaining 7 adventurers worked their way up to next floor.  They were greeted by a man in traditional Chinese clothing.  "I have come to finish what grad school started.  Give me your remaining soul, yorost!"  Yorost cranked the volume on his chosen song, but unfortunately the kung-fu champion did not return.  The fighter proceeded to use the dim mak on yorost, and left him to suffer a slow painful death.

Kari openly mused, "How is the next person going to die?"
"I hope it's not me." replied The King In Crimson.
"This beats running from the law, eh?" chimed in LieLowTheWantedMan.

Sigz then remembered seeing a wanted posted and thought.  "Well, I can get a reward if I survive this ordeal.  Was it dead or alive?  No matter."

Sigz then snuck up and hid a grenade in LLTWM's afro, and walked away.  "Mama didn't raise no sucka!" yelled Sigz as LL's head was blown to bits.

As the adventurers moved down the hall, they came across a dead end with a sign, "Please sacrifice one person to continue." Being the polite Canadian, jingle.boy decided to sacrifice himself.  The remaining four adventurers then fell down a trap door and after a long, fun slide ended up in a room where Ravenheart and Orcus116 are waiting.

Results:

Advancing:
The King In Crimson:  Giant Squid - Tongue Stones - Heavy, weird, fun, assertive.  Up my alley

sigz:  Kylesa - Tired Climb - Fuck Yeah.

Kari:  Lis Er Stille - Lys Over Tid - Loved the first 4 minutes, took a bit to adjust to vocals, but overall a pleasureable experience

metty:  Stolen Babies - Filistata - Fun little ditty.  Nice mix of heavy and "carnival" for a lack of a better term.  Second track from them I've heard, second one I liked.

Deceased (or imprisoned):
jingle.boy:  Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell - I can see how different that song was when it came out.  Entertaining for the most part, kinda felt like it belonged in Rocky Horror.  The race for the last spot was extremely close.  I thought about doing a playoff between you and metty.  Like metty, you gave me something I want to hear more of, and will be keeping an eye out for this album as well.

yorost:  Hiromi - Return of the Kung-Fu World Champion - Interesting.  As.  Fuck.  I don't know if I could listen to large blocks of this, but this song had my full attention for the nearly 10 minute length.

LLTWM:  Big Big Train - Victorian Brickwork - I liked it a good bit, a nice piece to mellow out to.  Just not top 4 this round.

ytserush:  Mastermind - Brainstorm - Better prog metal.  Would have liked to hear a better recording, but I couldn't find one.

Obscure:  Pathosray - Sons Of The Sunless Sky - Nothing stood out.  By the books prog metal.

UMH:  Athiest - Your Life's Retribution - Nothing stood out.  Death metal 101

wolfking:  Eyefear - Confessions - Nothing really stood out.  By the books prog metal.

Iarwain: Les Discrets - Les Feuilles De L'olivier - Nothing stood out or grabbed my attention.

YBS:  Asking Alexandria - Closure - There were parts I liked, but there were also parts I cringed at.

Nekov:  Eloy - Silent Revolution - Run of the mill prog metal.  Honestly, about 5 minutes in I was wanting it to be over.

Round 3 will be posted shortly.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
 :tup
Awesome writeup.  Glad you enjoyed the song!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
 :lol Awesome.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :'(
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive

yorost:  Hiromi - Return of the Kung-Fu World Champion - Interesting.  As.  Fuck.  I don't know if I could listen to large blocks of this, but this song had my full attention for the nearly 10 minute length.

OK, I didn't advance, but I'll tale it. :lol. Just missed in both rounds, that's not so bad.

For the record, that video game jazz prog sound is not typical Hiromi.  It is something she breaks out regularly, say once or twice an album, but most of her work is on grand piano and carries a wide range of emotion.  This actually closes her most elegant and somber album.  She is a zany artist, though, and really became my favourite artist sometime in the last two years or so.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol

I love your write ups Mason.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked it, it was one of the songs vying for the last spot.  It's just not what I normally listen to, so it was hard to tell what long-term prospects the album has for me.  But like I said, it had my attention and I was digging it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Cool. :D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The fuck?!?!?  Being polite =\= suicidal.

Cool write up tho.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Quality write up. I loved losing!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
I liked it, it was one of the songs vying for the last spot.  It's just not what I normally listen to, so it was hard to tell what long-term prospects the album has for me.  But like I said, it had my attention and I was digging it.
Well, I was more or less going for "Interesting. As. Fuck." for a reaction! :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Ravenheart, Orcus, TKIC, Kari, Metty, and Sigz are in a room with its only exit sealed, and the only things inside are a round table, a sentry, and a video screen.  The video screen is turned on.

"Congratulations on making it this far.  Welcome to the Russian Roulette.  Each round, one of you will die.  Each player submits a song, and I will rank them and assigne a number of "bullets".  You don't want bullets, that's what kills you.  The player that won the round then chooses the order the gun gets passed around, but they aren't told how many bullets each player has.  The gun is then passed around in the order the round winner decides, with each player playing with the number of bullets they got that round, until one player is killed, and the next round begins with music submission.  Bullets from the previous round are removed, clean slates.  There will be secondary prizes as well, but your main goal should be win the round and make it more difficult for yourself to be killed."

"This round will be open.  However we're going to play a game called "The Length Is Right".  Whoever submits the song closest to length to my favorite Hammers of Misfortune song (simply because that's the band I'm listening to now) without going over that length gets their choice of either a bullit reduction or they can add a bullet to someone else's chamber."

(how it's going to work)
The gun will be a six-sided die.  Russian roulette rounds will either be recorded and broadcast on youtube, or more preferably, one person can watch live via facetime, so if you have an iPhone you may get to watch the blood splatter live whether you are in or not.  I'd prefer to do both though, with someone watching live for accountability purposes.  A roll equal to or less than the number of bullets in a player's chamber means that a live round was fired and the player is eliminated.

If you are interested in being my live verification host let me know.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:36:34 PM by DTVT »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
This is so awesome. :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
I totally have the perfect song.

Sending now!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Note to self: Watch out for hidden explosives in the fro.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Atheist? Death metal 101?

k.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Wouldn't exactly call Eloy prog metal. Just prog rock. But meh.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
hey a all.. I'm so drunk.... all is cool... I just couldnt read through the write up.... but I might (or not maybe I'm just imagining things)have seen my name and sammich in the same sentence which didnt make any sense to me....

:P

peace out

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Quality write up. I loved losing!

Despite "sacrificing" myself, I agree with YBS above all else.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I certainly couldn't have Sigz put a grenade in your hair jingle :)

I'm sorry I got lazy on your death.  I'll murder you better next time, I promise :)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
 :)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
Sent!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I certainly couldn't have Sigz put a grenade in your hair jingle :)

I'm sorry I got lazy on your death.  I'll murder you better next time, I promise :)

That would've been a neat trick!  Looking forward to following this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just re-read your eliminations, and got visions of Normandy meets Monty Python and the Holy Grail meets Into the Electric Castle meets Disney's Haunted House.

This is fun.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Somebuddy save me please.... 'DTF's official sammich maker' wouldn't look god on my profile..... 

mmmmm...... on a second thought tho... :eyebrows:

Guardians tell mr. scientist that I'm gonna accept visitors in pairs....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
You know, I could have killed you - but that would be bad for my potential happiness equation.  I'll explain later.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
good call.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol this is so amusing. I didn't know it was gonna be like that.
I don't wanna clean up UMH's remains cause that sounded like a mess heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
yeah, that writeup was cool :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
DTVT keep your last.fm in the OP or your sig man, I search my ass off heh