Author Topic: Eric Johnson  (Read 9047 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Eric Johnson
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
How awesome is his guitar playing?  Ah Via Musicom and (especially) Venus Isle are both terrific albums.  I am not usually a fan of the guitar hero guys, but Johnson isn't a guy who writes instrumental after instrumental, all of which are intended to show off how great he is, for lack of a better term, at wanking.  And I actually enjoy his voice, which works really well for the type of songs he often writes; songs like Battle We Have Won and When the Sun Meets the Sky are good examples of this.  And if you want the guitar-crazy stuff, you can't go wrong with Cliffs of Dover, Pavilion and S.R..V.  And that tone...GODLY. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Who else is a fan?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Eric Johnson
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
Cliffs of Dover :heart

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
Mad love for Ah Via Musicom.  Such a great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
I concur  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
I am a pretty big fan.  I actually really love the album Tones.  Great songs on that one and a really nice atmoshphere.  Trail of Tears is one of my favs from him.  Venus Isle also had Lonely in the Night which is also a favourite of mine.  Oh, and don't forget Manhattan.  I'd actually take Tones and Venus over Musicom to be honest.

Amazing, tasteful, underrated guitar player.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

Totally. Such a gorgeously-uplifting and carefree song.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
I love Eric Johnson.  In particular, "Trademark" is a favorite of mine.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »

I must confess, this is the only song I know of his. It's a great one though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
I love Battle We Have Won.  :heart

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
I love Battle We Have Won.  :heart

Just listened to it. Damn! Gorgeous melodic mood it exudes indeed :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
All of Venus Isle is great! 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 02:38:39 AM »
All of Venus Isle is great!

Yeah, it's a fantastic album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »
It's all good.   In addition to those mentioned above, Seven Worlds and Tones are great as well. So is Live and Beyond.

I wasn't that fond of his performance on the first G3 album though. Unfortunately, I haven't picked up anything after the Live and Beyond album.

I'd really like to see him live one day.  That Hendrix tribute project he was in a few years back must have been killer.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:08 AM »
Funny I was listening to Tones just the other day and then saw this thread.
He really is an incredible player, for me its great to listen to a player who's not all about how many notes per second he can alternately pick.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
my dad showed me ah via musicom when i was in second grade. ill always remember the backwards guitar from ah via musicom, cliffs of dover, and desert rose from how much he played them

Offline necrotomist

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
Venus Isle is still one of my all time fav. albums. Great guitarist, flawless playing and such a great tone

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
All perfectly stated. I love EJ, aside from Satriani he's just about the only instrumental (for the most part) guitarist that I love. Speaking of, I really don't like any of Satriani's vocals, but as you said EJ has a really great voice that fits his type of guitar playing. Venus Isle is probably just ahead of Musicom for me but it's so tough to decide, each of them is beautifully crafted. Awesome man, godly guitarist. I saw him back in '06 with Satriani and that is still probably my favorite concert I've ever been to, musically. Sure, they didn't have the most fantastic stage presence or light show, it wasn't nearly as flashy and showy but the music they played captivated me for the entire show; it was beautiful on every level. I really do love EJ for the way he speaks to his fans too, he is so polite and soft spoken that you can't picture the man as anything but this godly monk who reigns over anything and everything guitar related.

East Wes  :heart :heart :heart :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:26:48 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77PuXrU6H2Y   EJ covers Hendrix...how he pulls of the backwards guitar solo I haveno idea
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
See, this is where I get down on Eric Johnson.  I love A Via Musicom.  I love Venus Isle.  After that... meh.  I view him as a guitarist that really had it going for awhile but never put together a career of great music.  Granted, I stopped paying attention to him a few years back.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »
See, this is where I get down on Eric Johnson.  I love A Via Musicom.  I love Venus Isle.  After that... meh.  I view him as a guitarist that really had it going for awhile but never put together a career of great music.  Granted, I stopped paying attention to him a few years back.

This. But that doesn't negate that those two albums just about crush anything else I've heard from big name instrumental guitarists. In fact I could also say the exact same for Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Satch has put out a few good songs from his past couple albums, but Vai is all but dead to me and sadly Johnson is as well. I haven't the slightest clue what they're up to these days. All the same, their past catalog is more than enough to give me some great eargasms.

Although Alien Love Child will forever kick the shit out of anything aforementioned. Mmmm - soulful.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »
my interest in their work (collectively as solo'ists) comes and goes.
I'd lump Steve Stevens, and Luk into this group as well.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »

This. But that doesn't negate that those two albums just about crush anything else I've heard from big name instrumental guitarists. In fact I could also say the exact same for Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Satch has put out a few good songs from his past couple albums, but Vai is all but dead to me and sadly Johnson is as well. I haven't the slightest clue what they're up to these days. All the same, their past catalog is more than enough to give me some great eargasms.

Although Alien Love Child will forever kick the shit out of anything aforementioned. Mmmm - soulful.
Alien Love Child got off to a good start and was a cool sound, but sheesh, it just didn't work.  I tried to love it because I was really into Johnson at the time, but it bored me.

I agree with you on Vai, and he's probably a worse culprit than Johnson for what I said.  I greatly prefer Johnson over Vai.  Satriani I disagree with.  He does have a lot of mediocre albums, but he puts out gold often enough and they're spread out over his career.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
EJ is pretty much a legend here in Austin, but like yorost I stopped paying attention.  Mine was after A Via--heard great things about Venus Isle, but never got around to picking it up.

You folks should really check out the Electromagnets CD--it is what first put him on the musical map, after all, and it's a great CD.
https://www.amazon.com/Electromagnets/dp/B000009NKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327111612&sr=1-1

Apparently there's a 2nd disc too--I thought they'd only released the one.  Cool.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:20 AM »
Mad love for Ah Via Musicom.  Such a great album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
EJ is pretty much a legend here in Austin, but like yorost I stopped paying attention.  Mine was after A Via--heard great things about Venus Isle, but never got around to picking it up.

You folks should really check out the Electromagnets CD--it is what first put him on the musical map, after all, and it's a great CD.
https://www.amazon.com/Electromagnets/dp/B000009NKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327111612&sr=1-1

Apparently there's a 2nd disc too--I thought they'd only released the one.  Cool.

I gobble up whatever I can find. I love his style and especially his work with the Hendrix Experience. I think his style is perfect for that stuff. I really need to get something live from that...

I don't have either Electromagnets album yet, but I do have the Alien Love Child albu which I like a lot, more so than the first G3 live album he was on. I also have Seven Worlds which is also pretty cool.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
Love Eric Johnson. Apart from the obviously gorgeous and accessible "Venus Isle", I was surprised how good Souvenir is, being an album of previously unreleased material.
Also his latest, Up Close is very good.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:11:49 AM by r0cken »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »
a couple months back, one of the guitarists at our church covered Cliffs of Dover as kind of an intro before the service began.  He did a pretty awesome job with it.

Manhattan is probably my favorite EJ song.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 09:03:52 AM »
the entire "Austin City Limits" performance is one of the best performances I've ever heard.

And yes, that tone..... :hefdaddy 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
the entire "Austin City Limits" performance is one of the best performances I've ever heard.

And yes, that tone..... :hefdaddy

HELL yes. :hefdaddy

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »

Second this.  I actually prefer that one to Cliffs of Dover, even though the latter got more airplay and the Grammy nod.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »
This Chet Atkins tune feat. Eric Johnson is beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgiPwl-fQA

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »
This Chet Atkins tune feat. Eric Johnson is beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgiPwl-fQA

cool stuff.  Reminds me of Acoustic Alchemy a bit.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »

Second this.  I actually prefer that one to Cliffs of Dover, even though the latter got more airplay and the Grammy nod.

Agreed.  Don't get me wrong - I love on Cliffs of Dover like no one's business, but Trademark has a lot more "oomph" IMO.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
An old recording of Cliffs of Dover.  LONG intro and almost album-exact tone.  Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smwQafhNU6E

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
Playing 'Manhattan' right now off of the G3 DVD. It's amazing, this DVD has my favorite tracks by all of 'em: 'For the Love of God' (Vai), 'Flying in a blue Dream' (Satriani) and 'Manhattan'.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .