Author Topic: New DT Live Album/DVD?  (Read 135925 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: New DT Live Album/DVD?
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
If they do it right, it would be very hard to tell that two shows were merged into one. Blind Guardian did this and i had no idea until I read the notes on the DVD that it was filmed over two nights.

Indeed, 2 classic live albums Queensryche's Operation LiveCrime, and Iron Maiden's Live After Death, were recorded over multiple nights, and I don't think either is weaker for having done so.

You're right. I totally forgot about I'M doing that too. Van halen did it, but they did it very poorly and is a good example of how not to merge two concerts onto one DVD.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »
Metallica's S&M is two nights. As is Cunning Stunts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
If they do it right, it would be very hard to tell that two shows were merged into one. Blind Guardian did this and i had no idea until I read the notes on the DVD that it was filmed over two nights.

Indeed, 2 classic live albums Queensryche's Operation LiveCrime, and Iron Maiden's Live After Death, were recorded over multiple nights, and I don't think either is weaker for having done so.
Ditto for Iced Earth's Alive In Athens.

Yes, but I thought we were talking about bands people actually liked.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #458 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »
The more and more I think about it, the more and more I'll be disappointed if they splice together songs from different nights even if it's at the venue. Of course, I should still keep my mind open enough to allow it to be blown by an awesome performance as a whole.

I suppose I have always looked at a live DVD/Blu-ray as a way to feel as if you were there. It's hard to capture that feeling when songs are pieced together from different nights.

As was mentioned - some of the best known live releases of other artists were shot on multiple nights. If done properly, you'll never know when they switch from show to show. Besides, what would you rather have: a) near perfect performances of songs with little to nothing "fixed" in the studio OR b) have the band fix the performances in the studio after the fact (as they had to with UaGM on Score)? I'd personally pick option A since at least it's still live (tho I'm not against fixing a minor number of things in the studio when needed, such as UaGM on Score).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #459 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »
The more and more I think about it, the more and more I'll be disappointed if they splice together songs from different nights even if it's at the venue. Of course, I should still keep my mind open enough to allow it to be blown by an awesome performance as a whole.

I suppose I have always looked at a live DVD/Blu-ray as a way to feel as if you were there. It's hard to capture that feeling when songs are pieced together from different nights.

As was mentioned - some of the best known live releases of other artists were shot on multiple nights. If done properly, you'll never know when they switch from show to show. Besides, what would you rather have: a) near perfect performances of songs with little to nothing "fixed" in the studio OR b) have the band fix the performances in the studio after the fact (as they had to with UaGM on Score)? I'd personally pick option A since at least it's still live (tho I'm not against fixing a minor number of things in the studio when needed, such as UaGM on Score).
Especially regarding the circumstances as to why it needed to be fixed in the first place. Definitely an excusable situation to fixed in the studio.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chudm

« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »
Whats up guys?  ;) im just letting you know that the new bluray will be filmed during both shows in argentina! We did an interview to JLB and he told us that both show will be recorded!

We will post the interview real soon!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
That's very interesting news!

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »
I guess they're waiting until the end of the tour to do this. That's always how Dream Theater seem to do it. It's kinda weird, I think, because they always look so tired in the DVDs. They could have gotten a much better performance (and LaBrie) from the first tour but I'm sure it'll still be really good.

Ditto for Iced Earth's Alive In Athens.

Yes, but I thought we were talking about bands people actually liked.

LOL

The Alive in Athens DVD is terrible. Especially because one night's performance is often dubbed over another's footage, and once you notice that you notice all the other cheap tricks they've used to try and cover it up.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
I think they'll end up playing two completely different sets with the entire ADTOE album making an appearance over the two nights. They also have more than enough older tunes to fill in the rest of the time for both shows without pulling out more old songs than they have already played, even though I hope they do pull out a few older tunes they haven't played with MM yet.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
Whats up guys?  ;) im just letting you know that the new bluray will be filmed during both shows in argentina! We did an interview to JLB and he told us that both show will be recorded!

Blu-ray, South American crowds specifically Argentina, 2 Nights, Stadium??!?
Where is the Darth Vader smiley when you need it!!  :hefdaddy :metal

Also in reference to "ResultsMayVary"'s post, I think playing all of ADTOE for the DVD/Blu-ray would be awesome!!
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
This made my pants tighter.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #466 on: June 30, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »

Thanks for this piece of news! :tup Seeing DT haven't toured South America yet on this tour, I bet they'll put together a setlist (or setlists) including some of the songs they played last year that haven't been released on a DVD before, like These Walls and The Count.

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #467 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:05 AM »
Thinking on it some more, not doing a new DVD during Black Clouds was the right move. Dream Theater have released some of their best material ever on ADTOE (BitS, BAI, BtS), and between the last two albums, there are plenty of great songs which deserve to be on a DVD (Wither, TCoT, Outcry). Furthermore, many Systematic Chaos songs never received professional DVD treatment. So this will be the first time in awhile that we can expect a Dream Theater DVD to be full of great new material. Ideally, DT will play their entire rotation of songs over those two nights, and we'll get a solid 20 songs on the release. Count me excited.

Offline herydreather

• Indonesian Metal
« Reply #468 on: July 01, 2012, 04:48:54 AM »
I Hope they make DVD with in Jakarta concert included. who knows, i'm in it, cause i'd front line there...   :lol

I Love Indonesia

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #469 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:01 AM »
So nice to hear that the next live dvd will be filmed in Argentina. At last a DT live album with intense crowd, not people watching and not even moving their heads.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #470 on: July 01, 2012, 06:15:27 AM »
Yep, agreed - thank god we're moving away from North America! We love you, but dear me, we must've seen them tread half the country's stages by now. And with the utmost respect, your audiences aren't the liveliest. Nothing wrong with that, and you're still beating Japan; it's just good to have a broad range of audiences and atmospheres. Nice to have a DVD with a slightly different character.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #471 on: July 01, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »
As I've probably done the most bitching about the DVD likely being in the USA, I am very happy to hear this. :lol
Hopefully it's a good venue, and the full rigs. Regardless, I'm sure the band will be on fire (figuratively speaking).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: July 01, 2012, 07:15:19 AM »
As I've probably done the most bitching about the DVD likely being in the USA, I am very happy to hear this. :lol
Hopefully it's a good venue, and the full rigs. Regardless, I'm sure the band will be on fire (figuratively speaking).

Hey now, wouldn't this be kind of cool?

"Buuuurning my soul!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #473 on: July 01, 2012, 07:29:28 AM »
:rollin
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #474 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #475 on: July 01, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
I'm touching myself as we speak. Amazing call of recording the new DVD/blu-ray on Argentina.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #476 on: July 01, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
I'm touching myself as we speak. Amazing call of recording the new DVD/blu-ray on Argentina.
Call me, maybe?

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #477 on: July 01, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »
I have to say, I'm looking forward to the idea of a DT in South America DVD, especially as I have the official bootleg of their SA tour for Octavarium, and it's brilliant just because of the sheer atmosphere, even though they were missing over half their usual effects and other kit used live.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #478 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
Call me, maybe?

:-*
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #479 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
This will be the second live recording from Luna Park in Buenos Aires, hopefully this one exceeds its predecessor in quality.  :facepalm:
This is a nice place

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #480 on: July 01, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
So, can we expect completely two different setlist for each night?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #481 on: July 01, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »

They may play the same set and then choose the best one for the DVD. Which is what they did with Live In Tokyo. Or, they could do it the awesome way and play a ADTOE-free setlist the first night and a ADTOE-centered set the second.  :o
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #482 on: July 01, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
This will be the second live recording from Luna Park in Buenos Aires, hopefully this one exceeds its predecessor in quality.  :facepalm:

Yeah, expect a much better quality this time around. CIM's version is almost bootleg-like, and I don't think they're taking that chance right now.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #483 on: July 01, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »

They may play the same set and then choose the best one for the DVD.

This would be disappointing for me. When it comes to DVD I wait longer sets, especially from DT. The same set from the world tour in DVD would never satisfy me. I hope they enlarge their list.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #484 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
The smartest thing to do would probably be to play up to ten same songs (the fan favorites and stuff like The Count - oh, wait, that's the same thing  :biggrin:) and just go wild with the rest of the two sets. Pick the better out of those ten and show all the rest. It would be nice to have a DVD with 30 songs  :corn

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #485 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »

They may play the same set and then choose the best one for the DVD. Which is what they did with Live In Tokyo. Or, they could do it the awesome way and play a ADTOE-free setlist the first night and a ADTOE-centered set the second.  :o
If you're reading this Petrucci, PLEASE do this. That would be so awesome.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #486 on: July 01, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
Awesome news! How many are usually in attendance for Argentina shows? Tons, or a normal amount?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #487 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
When any metal band plays anywhere in South America they normally have a ton of crazy fans

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #488 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
When any metal band plays anywhere in South America they normally have a ton of crazy fans
Exactly what I was thinking. Their crowds usually far exceed anything North American crowds could dream of. I read somewhere that the capacity of Luna Park was 35,000 (which I believe is for the entire stadium. A concert would have a smaller capacity, maybe 25-28,000 total?). Although I doubt they will sell it out, I believe they should sell the majority of the capacity in ticket sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they have 20,000 in attendance, at least, since they have done that in South America before, specifically in Chile.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #489 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Is there any confirmation on this news? Chudm said he got the info from an interview with JLB, which hasn't been posted; so nothing is official yet. As of right now, it's just a glorified rumor.