Author Topic: BREAKING: NORTH KOREA EMBASSY IN BEIJING STILL CELEBRATES IL'S B-DAY!  (Read 3833 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2011/12/201112193620221153.html

North Korea's Kim Jong-il dead at 69
"Dear Leader" dies after massive heart attack, reports say, prompting national mourning in secretive communist nation.
Last Modified: 19 Dec 2011 04:07

Kim Jong-il, the leader of North Korea, has died at the age of 69 after suffering a heart attack, North Korean state media has announced.

The official KCNA news agency said on Monday that Kim, known in the communist country as the "Dear Leader", died on Saturday aboard a train during a trip out of Pyongyang.

An autopsy was performed on Sunday, and the North declared a period of national mourning from December 17 to 29. KCNA that Kim's funeral would take place on December 28.

The announcement of Kim's death prompted South Korea to place its military on emergency alert, while shares on the stock market in Seoul fell nearly five per cent amid uncertainty over the stability of the secretive nuclear-armed nation.

South Korea's presidential Blue House called an emergency national security council meeting, and the country's central bank and market regulators also announced emergency meetings.

Kim Jong-il last year appointed his third son, Kim Jong-un, to a number of high-ranking posts in moves seen as positioning Kim Jong-un as his assumed successor after years of speculation about the elder Kim's fading health.

Reclusive 'dear leader'

Kim is believed to have suffered a stroke in 2008 but appeared relatively vigorous in photos and video from recent trips to China and Russia and in numerous trips around the country carefully documented by state media.

But the leader, reputed to have had a taste for cigars, cognac and gourmet cuisine, was believed to have had diabetes and heart disease.

"Just a couple of days ago, it was publicised that he was visiting a military installation," Don Kirk of the Christian Science Monitor told Al Jazeera.

"Obviously there will be a long period of pubilc mourning in the country, but the sense is that at least he organised his succession with [his son] Kim Jong-un taking over."

"The country looks stable, but whether it will remain stable is not clear," he said.

Kim took power in 1994 upon the death of his father, Kim Il-sung, who had led North Korea since the Korean Peninsular was split in half by the Korean War. Although the two sides signed a ceasefire in 1953 they remain technically at war.

Pyongyang is due to celebrate the milestone 100th birthday of Kim Il-sung, who is known as the "Eternal Leader, in April 2012.

Fuck YOU and rot in hell!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:08:33 AM by emindead »

Offline j

Re: Kim Jong-Il Finally Died, People!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:28:13 PM »
More of the same to follow.

-J

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:25:53 AM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
I don't find it right to celebrate someone's death as it seems like some people almost, no matter how evil and ruthless an individual has been. I find the best method be to just accept the fact, recognize it, and proceed with what should naturally come next.
Just wanted to say this.

About NK though, I really hope that if Kim Jong-Un has learned anything from his studying in Switzerland it's that he will try to lead the country towards reform, even though he'll face opposition from high-ranking officials in the military and in the upper branches of the party.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Cool image showing how North Korea is so far behind South Korea economically.

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »
That doesn't tell you anything right there about NK economically. All that tells you is the Pyongyang is the only major lighted city, and that the other parts of the country are rural. More than that cannot be deduced from that image alone.

But it's sad that the economic policies of NK have been so terrible that very little progress is being made and there's no mass urbanization.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
Kim Jong-Dead

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »
That doesn't tell you anything right there about NK economically.
Not directly no, but it's a pretty safe assumption that a well lit S. Korea has a much better economy than a poorly lit N. Korea.

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
Yeah, it's sad too. North Korea has great landscape and all.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »
I don't find it right to celebrate someone's death as it seems like some people almost, no matter how evil and ruthless an individual has been. I find the best method be to just accept the fact, recognize it, and proceed with what should naturally come next.
Just wanted to say this.

I totally agree on that one. The thing is also, it's not as if he was the last remaining obstacle to reform like Ghadafi was. I have very little hope that a biological relative of Jong-Il will significantly alter the course in the near future. The guy might be a Seif-al-Islam too.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
The problem is that even if he will want to push for reform, party officials and high rank military leaders will try to put an end to it. They want to maintain the status quo. But who knows, he might lead for economic reform and NK will turn into a new China - the conditions are actually quite similar with many working in agriculture.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »
NK's population isn't big enough, as far as I know. I think education (or even just enlightenment) would be a barrier also.

Plus, you know, Stalinism and all.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »
Reading and watching the mourning going on there suggests that nothing will change.  Despite what we see of him being a genuine dick,  he had cult-leader status over there, due to the lack of outside information penetrating the DPRK,  and the fact that they've all been worshiping him and his old man for 2 generations.  He was groomed by his pop to be who he was, and his kid likewise.  I suppose it's possible that Jr. has more experience with the outside world,  but that seems unlikely. 

What might have changed things is if the military had intervened, but that doesn't appear to be happening. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
The thing is, even if people told the North Koreans the truth about the outside world and what their country is like compared to the rest of the world, sadly they wouldn't believe it.

North Korea is like one giant brainwashing experiment.  It's really really sad.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
The thing is, even if people told the North Koreans the truth about the outside world and what their country is like compared to the rest of the world, sadly they wouldn't believe it.

North Korea is like one giant brainwashing experiment.  It's really really sad.
That's actually a really fascinating thing.  Is it sad for them?  From our perspective,  sure,  it sucks to not have an Xbox and NASCAR on Sundays,  but for a people who don't know any better,  their concerns are relative.  Given that plenty of us first world citizens deal with a helluva lot of modern world stress,  they might actually be much happier in their simple, rustic existence. 

I made the point before about the folks in Huxley's World State had it made in the shade.  Clearly the North Koreans don't have it near so well,  but the premise is similar.  If all you know is the world you live in,  then existence can only be judged by what you see.  None of those Koreans wanted to be drowned by flooding,  or starved in the aftermath,  but as far as they know,  they might have been better suited to withstand it than their backwards neighbors thanks to Dear Leader. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »
Erm I'd hardly say North Koreans are in any good condition.  Poverty and starvation run rampant there and those people are forgotten about.  Their cities are ghost towns, and if they say anything bad about their government they are sent to labor camps for the rest of their lives.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
North Korea might be an extreme example, but I have thought about EB's point myself many times before. Western cultures always assume and act as if their way of life is the ultimate in terms of achieving happiness. However, year after year far less "developed" and less free countries top the list in self-reported happiness, and countries like the US ranking very low.

rumborak

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
It's like the allegory of the cave.  The North Koreans are without a doubt chained to the walls of the cave.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
The point is, so are we.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »
North Korea might be an extreme example, but I have thought about EB's point myself many times before. Western cultures always assume and act as if their way of life is the ultimate in terms of achieving happiness. However, year after year far less "developed" and less free countries top the list in self-reported happiness, and countries like the US ranking very low.

rumborak
As a citizen of a country who has been ranked in the first place of such happy countries, I want to clarify that we live really happy because of the quality of the people. I think that is the major determinant. Each time you see more foreigners wanting to stay here just because of its people (then they'll take into account other factors like food, landscape, business opportunities -the country is progressing after all.) When I have the opportunity to travel around the world you can immediately notice the difference with the other guy, he's really cold. BUT, it doesn't rule out the fact that we also live really frustrated by the majorities economic condition.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »
I would be curious if you looked at the US by state or region, whether some regions would fare higher than others in terms of "happiness index". I agree with emindead that it's really the people. Having lived in the midwest and New England and traveled over a lot of the lower 48, I'd say that people in the Midwest are a hell of a lot friendlier and make life more enjoyable than most other places I've been.

Anyway... I agree with EB, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I don't think that the consumer culture in the US fosters a sense of happiness in a lot of people.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »

rumborak
As a citizen of a country who has been ranked in the first place of such happy countries, I want to clarify that we live really happy because of the quality of the people.

Not sure you can exactly make a proper distinction between the two. People are happy becuase the people are happy, foreigners like the people becuase they happy, etc. There's also very strong correlations between a populations general intelligence, and their general happiness.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
I would be curious if you looked at the US by state or region, whether some regions would fare higher than others in terms of "happiness index".
IIRC, US economist Richard Florida has done this as part of his work on spatial location economics. He's been published in a few academic journals so you could probably throw his name into Google with the term 'happiness index' and probably find his work. Its oldish now (i think his last update was early-mid 00s, but would still interest you.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »

rumborak
As a citizen of a country who has been ranked in the first place of such happy countries, I want to clarify that we live really happy because of the quality of the people.

Not sure you can exactly make a proper distinction between the two. People are happy becuase the people are happy, foreigners like the people becuase they happy, etc. There's also very strong correlations between a populations general intelligence, and their general happiness.
I'm not sure if you're saying this but... ignorance is bliss (in this case happiness)?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »

rumborak

I'm not sure if you're saying this but... ignorance is bliss (in this case happiness)?

Well, I guess that last part is me just agreeing with you that quality of people matters, but before that I"m just saying there's a positive cycle for happiness. We're social animals, and our moods are shaped by the society around us.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 03:03:14 AM »
Reading and watching the mourning going on there suggests that nothing will change.  Despite what we see of him being a genuine dick,  he had cult-leader status over there, due to the lack of outside information penetrating the DPRK,  and the fact that they've all been worshiping him and his old man for 2 generations.  He was groomed by his pop to be who he was, and his kid likewise.  I suppose it's possible that Jr. has more experience with the outside world,  but that seems unlikely. 

What might have changed things is if the military had intervened, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

The people are likely not sad...they know that they'll be sent to the camps if they don't appear to be hysterically sad enough.  Same thing goes for if they don't say enough pro-government slogans (to say nothing of what would happen if they celebrated, or said something anti-government).  Most of the people are very unhappy, and hated both KIS and KJI, but can never express it openly.

I read The Aquariums of Pyongyang on the plane on the way over...it's worse than 1984, or Stalinist USSR at its most extreme.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:56 AM »
Their entire families (two generations in either direction) would be sent to the camps as well.  And speaking out would be a death sentence.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 07:26:57 AM »
I think it's more because they've been brainwashed from childhood.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 04:22:13 AM »
I think it's more because they've been brainwashed from childhood.

The brainwashing is more about the extreme xenophobia...refugees are invariably shocked to find that South Koreans and Americans aren't monsters (and to realize that those bags of grain with the US flag on them are huminatarian aid, rather than tribute paid to Great Leader by a terrified US).

Most of the hysterical mourning in front of the camera is to keep from being sent to Yodok...the fundamental principle of a cult of personality is that every last person must appear to buy into the fiction...or else.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
My point was that they're not appearing to buy into it, they actually are buying into it. And didn't the US send them food in exchange for North Korea to stop their nuclear program or something? That's not really that humanitarian...

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
https://gawker.com/5875490/is-north-korea-punishing-people-who-didnt-mourn-hard-enough

Daily NK learned from a source from North Hamkyung Province on January 10th, "The authorities are handing down at least six months in a labor-training camp to anybody who didn't participate in the organized gatherings during the mourning period, or who did participate but didn't cry and didn't seem genuine."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
BREAKING: RUMOUR OF KING JONG-UN ASSASSINATED
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/10/idUS232818209920120210

Twitter, Weibo Spread Rumors of North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un's Assassination

By Lucas Shaw at TheWrap
Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:53pm EST
Did social media just prematurely kill off the leader of North Korea?

Rumors that Kim Jong-un, the country’s supreme leader, has been assassinated just months after he took power originated on Chinese microblogging service Weibo and have now spread all over Twitter.

Others are reporting that Jong-un, believed to be 28 years old, may be on the run rather than dead, but both reports claim that some kind of coup is taking place.

One person on Weibo wrote (loose translation): "north korea's biggest leader kim jung un, this morning in beijing time 2:45 am, had his residence broken into and was assassinated by unidentified people, who were shot dead by his bodyguards in korea's embassy in beijing, vehicles are rapidly increasing in number, and have surpassed 30 of them, this sort of battle formation hasn't been seen in over two years. please verify this."

The rumors remain unsubstantiated. However, the reports are beginning to attract a great deal of attention, especially now that a couple of American news outlets including the Atlantic Wire have reported on them.

Weibo is in many ways the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, and disseminates news at a rapid pace. People were tipped off that there was something happening that involved Jong-Un, who succeeded his late father Kim Jong-Il, because of the mass of cars parked outside of his resident.

For good reason, many Twitter users are exercising caution, aware that news like this can spread without much to sustain it.

A sample of the dubious tweeters:

“Kim Jong Un apparently assasinated in Beijing. Source: 'Chinese Twitter'. What does that even mean? One Chinese person's account? or @China?” AdamThompson1 tweeted.

“Wait for confirmation on Kim Jong Un death rumors. Twitter is also reporting that ‘Jonas Brothers are the best band,’” Matt Binder wrote.

“Rumors from Chinese twitter that Kim Jong Un assassinated this morning in Beijing. pretty unlikely,” Dan Bennett posted.

So did social media spread the news or cause unnecessary hysteria? We will update when the news develops.
Here's one version of the rumor, cleaned up from the crappy Google translation:
According to reliable sources, North Korean leader [Kim Jong-Un was killed] in Beijing in February 10 2012, at 2 o'clock and 45 minutes. Unknown persons broke into his residence shot and were subsequently shot and killed by the bodyguard.
https://gawker.com/5884033/chinese-twitter-says-kim-jong+un-was-assassinated-this-morning-in-beijing
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:53:45 PM by emindead »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: BREAKING: RUMOUR OF KING JONG-UN ASSASSINATED
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
heh, no sign of anything yet in the msm.....

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
So is anything actually confirmed yet or are we just gossiping x)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
Nothing on any legit news sites.  It's probably just some bullshit internet rumor