Author Topic: I want to get into Discworld  (Read 1026 times)

Offline ehra

I want to get into Discworld
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:35:58 PM »
There's a lot of them. Like, 39? I'm not buying 39 books at once. That's too many. I think 1 sounds good for now. Maybe someone who's familiar with them could make some suggestions?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: I want to get into Discworld
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
Start at the beginning.  The Colour of Magic is a great novel all on its own.  I'd even suggest buying the initial trilogy, which includes The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and Equal Rites. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ehra

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
That was my initial thought, but I wanted to make sure the first ones weren't bleh and he ended up hitting his stride later on or something. Thanks!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
Understandable.  I haven't read the entire series, so I can't say the first three are definitively the best, so maybe someone else can tell you what the 'best' book is.  But the first three are damn good. 

Enjoy.   :tup
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:26:46 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:47:37 AM »
Jaffa, Equal Rites isn't part of the opening story, it's just Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic that are directly linked.

However, I would agree with you that it's best to start from the beginning. Ehra, the first book is lots of fun, very whimsical, and it's a good sattire on real life. But there's not a huge amount of depth to it, so don't worry if you read it and thing "well that was good fun but I don't see what all the fuss is about". Not saying you will, I enjoyed it a lot when I first read it, just when I go back to it I realise it has less substance than pretty much everything from Equal Rites onwards.

But I still think it's best to start from the beginning. Some of the later books (particularly in what is now I guess the middle-era) are phenomenal and he really hit his stride about 5-10 books in, but I think it helps to have that background from the rest of the series first.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »
I started reading Terry Pratchett with the Tiffany series... My first book was A Hat Full of Sky.. it did work.. but today, I would start with the first book as well...

oh and I asked the exact same question to million people too  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 05:53:21 AM »
You do definitely see an improvement in the writing and the richness of the world as you go to later books, but the early books are still fantastic and you definitely benefit from reading them chronologically.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:57:27 AM »
definately a good idea to read them in order as there are charicter threads that weave thier way through the books and its nice to see them develope as the series progresses ;D
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline ehra

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »
Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone. Somewhere on the wiki page made it sound like there wasn't much continuity between most of the books which is what made me wonder where to start, but maybe I misunderstood. I'll be ordering The Colour of Magic soon.  :)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
Jaffa, Equal Rites isn't part of the opening story, it's just Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic that are directly linked.

Hmm, really?  I have to admit, it's been a while since I read Equal Rites.  I knew Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic were more connected, but for some reason I was thinking Equal Rites was pretty connected, too.  Maybe they just feel that way to me because that's how I started the series: read the first three in order, then started jumping around more randomly to whatever looked interesting. 

Sorry bout that, ehra.  Didn't mean to misinform you.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »
Like everyone else said, start with Colour of Magic.

Hate to derail the thread but I never get to talk about Discworld in real life...which 'types' of books does everyone enjoy the most? What I mean is, do you prefer Rincewind books, Witches books, City Watch books, etc...

Personally I really enjoy the books about Death, the City Watch, and the Wizards. I also really enjoyed Small Gods.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ehra

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
I obviously don't have anything to contribute myself, but if you guys want to use this as a general Discworld / Terry Pratchett thread that's fine. I give you permission.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:53:37 AM »
As stated, Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic are a good place to start, but as Pyramids isn't part of any recurring character series, it doesn't matter too much if you read that one out of order, but it's really good.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »
Like everyone else said, start with Colour of Magic.

Hate to derail the thread but I never get to talk about Discworld in real life...which 'types' of books does everyone enjoy the most? What I mean is, do you prefer Rincewind books, Witches books, City Watch books, etc...

Personally I really enjoy the books about Death, the City Watch, and the Wizards. I also really enjoyed Small Gods.
Small Gods is definitely one of my favourites, such an amazing standalone book.

In terms of the "series", on the whole my favourite is probably the Watch ones. Guards! Guards! was good, but then they really hit their stride - Men At Arms and Feet of Clay are outright brilliant, Jingo was friggin' great, as was Night Watch.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.