Author Topic: Things to consider when dealing with commissioned sales associates  (Read 650 times)

Offline zepp-head

I have to vent a little bit about some disturbing habits I've noticed from customers.  In almost all cases I'm sure they are harmless in intent, but there a few things I think people should be made aware of if they aren't already.

1.  If I sell you a more expensive product, that doesn't necessarily mean I make more money.

Commission, at least where I work, doesn't come from the price you pay for it.  I get 9% of the gross profit of each item, meaning I make more based on how much the item is marked up beyond the "at cost" price.  Many products from companies like Apple and Bose aren't really marked up at all, and those companies don't allow us to move the price at all.  Some products actually cause me to LOSE money if I sell.

2.  I don't have the power to arbitrarily lower the price to get you a deal.

Many sales associates do, but not all of them.  In my position, I can technically get permission to lower a price from a manager, but they have to approve it (it still has to make a certain amount of profit), and they still won't let me mark it down as much as they do on their own sales.  For me, almost everyone else in my department has the power to lower prices except me, so that makes it hard to compete.  Also, when bargains take place on items, don't forget that I personally am taking the hit the lower the price goes.  Again remember that some prices can't be lowered no matter how much authority someone has.

3.  Lining up a deal with me and cashing out with someone else is a gigantic dick move.

This is one I don't think most people do on purpose.  However, there are a number of deals I line up on the phone and in the store.  Some of these deals can take over an hour picking out the right equipment for your set up to accomplish what you need.  What decides which sales associate gets credit for the sale depends on whose number is on the sales ticket when you check out.  So if you work with someone and decide to leave or come back, or have someone set something aside for you on the phone, try to make an effort to remember their name and work with the same person that helped you out before.  Otherwise I've just spent a lot of time just to put money in someone else's pocket who didn't help you out at all.  This happens ALL the time.

4.  I enjoy helping you out, but not being taken advantage of.

I get answered a lot of technical specific questions about set ups and what not.  I like helping people out, especially on specific pieces of gear.  However, if you call in and ask about something like that, and ask if I know of anywhere else that sells it, this is rude.  What's worse is there are many people who expect me to do a lot of research on product possibilities for them when they have every intention of getting it somewhere else.  I don't mean to be a dick, but I have to take care of the people that actually buy things from me first.  And if you pick the sales associate's brain for a while in store, then just go home and order it online, that's not the coolest thing you can do either.

Anyone else have stories working in sales?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Things to consider when dealing with commissioned sales associates
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:14 AM »
I think that's all fine and dandy, but sadly your profession is awash with clueless people who *do* in fact just try to sell you the most expensive item. So, I don't think you can necessarily blame people for behaving the way they do.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Things to consider when dealing with commissioned sales associates
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:11:40 AM »
I've wasted close to a decade of my life waiting tables and sympathize A LOT with EVERYTHING you grieved over zepp. The sad truth is that consumers, by large majority, are self-centered and have bought into the customer-first ownership-driven fellation that they're special just for giving the place business in the first place and that we, as service persons, should just be glad to have a job because "the economy is bad and these are tough times."

Most of them have no idea how demanding and, at times virtually impossible. it is to be able to give prompt service even when using your brain to its full ability and moving as fast as physically possible. They either convince themselves that you aren't trying your best or rationalize a "better" way they could've done it since they're obviously infallible when they do things.

The big problem is that so many people suddenly get this "my shit doesn't stink" mentality as soon as they know they're in a situation where they can act as childishly as the same assholes that rob them of their soul on a daily basis at their jobs and it's hypocritical, immature, and only guarantees that an overwhelming majority of us will hate our jobs until the day we retire. Wonderful customer/employee dynamic isn't it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon