Author Topic: Lonestar's Song Roulette v.Who the F**K is That?? Final Results Up!!!  (Read 61870 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Lonestar's Song Roulette v.Who the F**K is That?? Round 5 Results Up!
« Reply #455 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
This is it!!!! The final judgements!!!!

Once again, thank all of you for your participation.  I have received a ton of new music, and have had a ton of fun doing this, but all good things must come to an end.  So without further ado.....

Point scale is one through ten for this round.  All songs were listened to twice, in the order they were received....

Nekov
Iluvatar- In The Eye
Good song, had my feet tapping, but it never quite hit epic for me, just kinda rocked all the way through.  I felt the instrumental was a bit lacking, I was wanting it to keep building, but it just went into the third part.   This song gets a :lonestar: -Six Points

DTVT
Symphony X- Iconoclast
One of the bands I know well of but never took the time to dig into them.  Shit, I even own two of their albums, given to my by a hot German chick when she found out I dug DT.  As expected, they made me want to bust out my 20 sided and a DM screen.  Killer song though, really got the blood pumping.  Epic instrumental, loved the drumrolls, they transition nicely.  Can't say I love the choral singing, kinda pushes into cheese land, but it fits with the rest of the song well. This song gets a :lonestar: -Six Points

Sigz
Giant Squid- Tongue Stones
First thing I noticed when I saw the video is that they're playing here Saturday, so if I liked it enough, I could go see them.  Looks like I'm saving a couple of bucks here.  Not a bad song, just really fucking gloomy at the beginning, I was about to call my sponsor to prevent a relapse, then the instrumental hit towards the end. Loved it, loved the cello, it always hits right to my celtic side for some reason.  Really solid finish to what I thought was another "WTF is sigz sending me" songs.  I added you to this roulette for a specific reason, and it's this off the radar variety of stuff you have sent me. This song gets a  :) -Four Points

obscure
Guilt Machine- Perfection?
First off, best band name of the roulette.  Pretty killer song too.  I loved the vocalist, and the overall tone of the song was great.  Lyrically it was good, but it asked too many questions and gave no answers, guess those are all in the next song.  I kinda missed having an epic instrumental though, and the end tried to build up to a climactic finish, but never really delivered for me. This song gets a :lonestar: -Six Points

King
Darwin's Radio- Breathe It In
Fucking A bubba.  If your Pats are as good as this song, my Niners are going to have to be Yes CTTE to win the Super Bowl.  Great shit.  Had a good tone, good vocals, and was moving.  Got to the instrumental and hit epic and kept building,  I was all over it.  Then 7:51 hit, and I fucking blew my nut, and the song finished me off in style.  Thank you for this one. This song gets a  :hat - Eight Points

Puffy Pat
Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group- Un Buitre Amable me Pico
To quote the pm you sent with this song...
Well, there's no way I can win, so I'm going out on a limb.
The limb you went out on must have been on the fucking awesome tree, cause this song kicked royal fucking ass.  Hooked me right from the beginning with the heavy bass and the sultry vocals(yeah, fell in love with her real quick), though I could have done without the effects on her vocals in the middle, her voice didn't need any more, it was perfect as is for the mood of the song.  Then the end instrumental hit, from 6:17 on, I was in musical bonerland.  The guitar was bluesy and rough, and the drummer was a fucking god.  Should have started roulette off with this one, and gone from there.  This song gets a  :metal -Ten Points

cup
Uriah Heep- July Morning
I just gotta say this, how does a high school kid come across prog from the seventies that I, a forty year old dude who has been listening to Yes since he was seven, haven't heard of.  Fuck, I was two when it came out, and that was before the rest of these cats were alive, except old man king, of course, who was all ready shaving.  I give you props for going old school, and that is what this song was.  Drippy, proggy, nostalgia on a stick.  Cheese factor very high, and it never quite hit epic for me, just kinda dragged on and on.  Then the acid kicked in around the 8:30 mark, and the song lost me. This song gets a  :) -Four Points

jingle.boy
Spock's Beard- Crack the Big Sky
Another band I've known about for quite some time, but never got around to listening too.  Now I'm fucking kicking myself for years lost.  Cuts across many genres, as I was picking up elements on heavy rock, jazz, gospel, etc., all flowing together seamlessly.  Lots of fun moments, very accessible to me. This song gets a  :hat -Eight Points

OK, two hours on this computer, listening and typing, I'm gonna go smoke, back in five with the final tally.....

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Lonestar's Song Roulette v.Who the F**K is That?? Round 5 Results Up!
« Reply #456 on: January 18, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
FINAL RESULTS

Nekov-26
jingle.boy-25
PuffyPat-25
King-24
DTVT-23
obscure-22
sigz-21
cup-17

Thank you guys for all the awesome music, there wasn't a bad song in the bunch(except the Shpongle one, just didn't get it).   Not only did you guys give me great music, but you reawakened my desire to search out new bands, which has been dead for many years, which is a gift I can't appreciate enough.  Nekov, your stuff was right up my alley every time, and the final results reflect that, but everyone had great moments.  In the end, the biggest winner was me, I have a myriad avenues of new music to explore and fall in love with, and for that I owe all of you a big sloppy kiss.  Thanks again, love you all. :heart

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Song Roulette v.Who the F**K is That?? Final Results Up!!!
« Reply #457 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
 :laugh:

Thanks RJ! I'm happy that you are happy with all this new music. This was a very fun roulette with very fun people.  :heart
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #458 on: January 18, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
Had a blast.  Don't you just love getting to hear music you never heard of?  That's what I like about this game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #459 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
Yep, that Darwin's Children song was sick, but Pat's submission in the last round took the cake, fucking awesome.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #460 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »
Ditto what Nekoc said (best new nickname).  Kinda sad that this is over now.  The cool think about these roulette's is it gives us a chance to explore new music too - Darwin's Radio and Omar yada yada is now on my list of "to check out"

Guilt Machine ... nice submission.  That would be Arjen A. Luassen's Guilt Machine (another side project from Arjen).  Serisouly RJ, you would love pretty much everything from Arjen and his projects.

Spock's Beard... you can't go wrong with anything from them.  I wouldn't start with their s/t, that's probably the weakest of the bunch.  V and Snow are usually considered their best, although I'm partial to Day For Night and Octane.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #461 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:13 PM »
I think my lack of diversity is going to be my downfall as I become a participant in these things.  I'm up on number's next, and I think I'll be ok there, but on obscure's, I'm going to be hard pressed to find multiploe bands she hasn't heard of.  I got a couple in the wings, but not many, and most of my favs she knows, especially since I found out she likes IQ.  :censored

Oh well, it's all in fun.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #462 on: January 18, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
Puffy Pat
The limb you went out on must have been on the fucking awesome tree, cause this song kicked royal fucking ass.  Hooked me right from the beginning with the heavy bass and the sultry vocals(yeah, fell in love with her real quick), though I could have done without the effects on her vocals in the middle, her voice didn't need any more, it was perfect as is for the mood of the song.  Then the end instrumental hit, from 6:17 on, I was in musical bonerland.  The guitar was bluesy and rough, and the drummer was a fucking god.  Should have started roulette off with this one, and gone from there.  This song gets a   -Ten Points

I totally agree about the vocal effects in the middle, her voice is perfect, but that's just Omar for you; he loves to fuck around with effects, it's just his thing. Another fun fact about her, she had the flu and laryngitis during this performance, and was still able to sound the way she did.

To be quite honest I was not expecting a perfect score in this round because I remember you saying something about the fact that cup sent you a song that wasn't in English, but I'm really glad that you liked it. 
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #463 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
Puffy Pat
The limb you went out on must have been on the fucking awesome tree, cause this song kicked royal fucking ass.  Hooked me right from the beginning with the heavy bass and the sultry vocals(yeah, fell in love with her real quick), though I could have done without the effects on her vocals in the middle, her voice didn't need any more, it was perfect as is for the mood of the song.  Then the end instrumental hit, from 6:17 on, I was in musical bonerland.  The guitar was bluesy and rough, and the drummer was a fucking god.  Should have started roulette off with this one, and gone from there.  This song gets a   -Ten Points

I totally agree about the vocal effects in the middle, her voice is perfect, but that's just Omar for you; he loves to fuck around with effects, it's just his thing. Another fun fact about her, she had the flu and laryngitis during this performance, and was still able to sound the way she did.

To be quite honest I was not expecting a perfect score in this round because I remember you saying something about the fact that cup sent you a song that wasn't in English, but I'm really glad that you liked it. 

That song kicked so muck fucking ass.  I love a solid buttkicking jam, especially when some really hardcore players are involved, and the drummer and guitarist definatly qualified.

A sidenote to this last round, as I was listening to the songs, I was checking out the lyrics, band's websites, etc.  I actually missed Wikipedia today. :lol  There always a good starting point for research.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #464 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »
A sidenote to this last round, as I was listening to the songs, I was checking out the lyrics, band's websites, etc.  I actually missed Wikipedia today. :lol  There always a good starting point for research.
Turn scripting off on your browser.  If you use Opera you can just shut scripting off for Wikipedia only.  ...or just click stop while a page loads to prevent the redirect.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: January 18, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »
After hearing that for the first time Deantoni Parks immediately became my favorite drummer. He just has something that no other drummer I've ever seen has, and I have no idea what it is. He's just that good. Since you liked that song I definitely reccomend checking out the other videos from that performance and another one in New York up on YouTube, although the ones in Los Angeles are FAR superior than the NY ones.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #466 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
He is a fucking beast, almost has a Kieth Moon quality to him, just hitting everything in sight.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #467 on: January 18, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Man Shpongle really killed in this  :lol

OH WELL Good roullette Lonestar, even if you didn't like Shpongle and The Dear Hunter >:( :heart
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
I've got many things to say.... but I'm exhausted at the moment... just wanna say how much I enjoyed this roulette... you guys all rock... great music taste indeed.... just listened to king's submission ... and mind blown....

very fun roulette and very well run by such a gentleman.... some unforgettable moments.....
congrats Nekoc, JBoy and puffy....and all actually... Can't wait to play this game with you on my own roulette...

I'm up on number's next, and I think I'll be ok there, but on obscure's, I'm going to be hard pressed to find multiploe bands she hasn't heard of.  I got a couple in the wings, but not many, and most of my favs she knows, especially since I found out she likes IQ.  :censored

I'm flattered... Thank you!

Do you know how happy I am among you boys... it feels home  :heart

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #469 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
Man Shpongle really killed in this  :lol

OH WELL Good roullette Lonestar, even if you didn't like Shpongle and The Dear Hunter >:( :heart

FUCK I DIDN'T SAY I HATED THE DEER HUNTER, SHEESH, GET OVER IT!!!!

Shpongle on the other hand.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
King-24
obscure-22

*doing the happy dance* :biggrin:

So you like Darwin's Radio too.  I may have to sneek one into your roulette too.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #471 on: January 18, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »
King-24
obscure-22

Crap, forgot I was going to have you two finish tied, oh well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #472 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Just thought I'd do a "best of" list to recognize my favorite songs from this thing....

In no particular order...

Frost- Welcome to Nowhere
Mars Volta- Cotopaxi
Incubus- Dig
Karmakanic- Turn it Up
Vision Divine- Out of the Maze
Evergrey- As I Lie Here Bleeding
Gov't Mule- Don't Step on the Grass Sam
Angra- Fireworks(best song of the roulette)
Fates Warning- We Only Say Goodbye
Hardline- In The Hands of Time
Streetlight Manifesto- A Moment of Silence
Mountain Goats- Pale Green Things
Darwin's Radio- Breath It In
Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group- Amable Un Buitre Mi Pico
Spock's Beard- The Big Sky

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: January 18, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
Out of those, have you heard any of those bands before?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #474 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:54 PM »
I need to remember to pick up that Darwin Radio album.  I have Dec's solo album, pretty much anything John Mitchell has ever done, Kino, and Frost*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: January 18, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
I need to remember to pick up that Darwin Radio album.  I have Dec's solo album, pretty much anything John Mitchell has ever done, Kino, and Frost*

Mason, there is 2 albums.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #476 on: January 18, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #477 on: January 18, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
Out of those, have you heard any of those bands before?

Just Incubus and Fates Warning.  Probably heard some Spock's Beard too, but the others I had only heard of here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

:rollin

+1 point for teh funnys

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: January 18, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
 :lol

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: January 18, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
King-24
obscure-22

It's my honour to lose it to you your highness.... especially after hearing Darwin's Radio....

So you like Darwin's Radio too.  I may have to sneek one into your roulette too.

I can't see a reason why not  ;)

Crap, forgot I was going to have you two finish tied, oh well.

dangit chef   :lol