Author Topic: Marco Minnemann on DT  (Read 58805 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Marco Minnemann on DT
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
Bad for Minnemann.

He's still my favorite drummer, though.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
Wow, I'm shocked at how professional musicians (Portnoy, Minnemann, etc.) will blast other musicians/bands on social media this year for everyone to read. 

I'm not.

Well, let me clarify. I'm not shocked about it coming from Portnoy, but I am shocked about it coming from Minnemann. That is because in terms of adult-like behavior, I expect more from professional musicians than I do career-rockstars.

I think it has something to with how successful career-rockstars  have been allowed to live-out their teenage fantasies before ever really having to hold-down a "real" jobs or live in the "real" world. It's not that what they do isn't important to the "real" world; it's just that they haven't gone through the same things that other people become more mature as a result of going through, like holding down a real job, where people have strong expectations about how you'll present yourself and how treat others publicly and privately. And hey, acting like a big-kid is what sells. It's what makes the kids listening think that you're cool, and that they too can one-day live as a teenager forever.

So, no, I'm not really surprised when I see a career-rockstar who still looks, talks, acts, and writes like a teenager. But for someone like Minneman, who has (I think) always leaned more towards "professional musician" than "career-rockstar", I do expect a little bit more in terms of tact and politeness. I mean, look at Mangini for example: Sure, he's a rock-star now, but he was also a professor of a University and has a lot of other real-world experience. He is someone who knows how to act like an adult with other adults in an adult environment, and it goes without saying that the difference between him and MP (or any other career-rockstar) in terms of how he's handled himself publicly thus-far is outstanding.

Of course, I'm not ruling out the idea that Minneman's only doing this because he's genuinely been shafted by the band and has ran out of other ways to voice his greviences. That is also real possibility. I guess time will tell.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:37:58 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline tumbok

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
well i was expecting more news or footage from the drummer audition.
now that i got one about minnemann, i wish it was kept just sectret.

well... i think i must stop caring for any news regarding personal behaviour and just enjoy their music.

just sayin'.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 08:19:05 PM »
I don't think he harbors any deep hatred for DT, but he definitely sounds he feels they abused the situation to their favor.
DT aren't angels either. I can totally see them (in collaboration with their management) having decided "yeah, we told Marco we wouldn't release it, but given the potential marketing value of this, we'll just do it anyway. The likelihood of a lawsuit is low given the PR repercussions of such a move."

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
I don't think he harbors any deep hatred for DT, but he definitely sounds he feels they abused the situation to their favor.
DT aren't angels either.

Agreed. I guess you can say....

...they were standing on the backs of angels destined to create :lhk: :lhk:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
The fact that he tacked on "I'm sorry" after the "FU DT" makes me think he's being sincere. 

Yeah, and there's a sarcastic little "smile" after the, "I'm sorry."  Nothing sincere about that, in my opinion.  Even if he's completely telling the truth and absolutely right (which I don't believe, anyway), I think this was a douchey thing to do.  Just my opinion. 

Yeah, I'm confused. Seems completely douchey to me, and passive aggressive. Inexcusable and highly unprofessional, whether any of it's true or not. Looks like DT definitely chose the right drummer here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 10:03:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is it just the "FU DT" comment everyone is calling douchey? 

Because that part was definitely uncalled for, but I didn't think the rest of it was at all bad.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
Remember, this is the guy who wore that OM NOM NOM cookie monster shirt at his AUDITION.

I'm sorry, but....lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
Remember, this is the guy who wore that OM NOM NOM cookie monster shirt at his AUDITION.

I'm sorry, but....lol

That shirt was awesome.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 11:00:26 PM »
What a baby

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »

I'm sorry, but....lol

That shirt was awesome.

Yeah, wtf. He had hands-down the best outfit of all of them :lol

rumborak

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
Hmm. Perhaps I'm being a hardass. If I was chosen to audition for a world-renowned, successful band, I would have worn a shirt that reflected how serious I was about it. His shirt would be fine at a concert or whatever, but the audition itself? It just looked silly. It's the same reason I wouldn't wear a tropical Hawaiian shirt at a job interview.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »
Yeah, especially a douchey "nom nom" shirt.  I don't know what it is, but people who wear shirts like that piss me off. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 12:56:40 AM »
I'm assuming he didn't know that the videos were ever going to see the outside world. And considering that, I would think he showed up with a nice and fun shirt. I actually kinda hated how some of the contestants were too stereotypically metal.

rumborak

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 01:13:22 AM »
Marco seem so bitter. That is the wrong way to go about this situation. If he feels violated take it up with DT direct instead of twitter.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 04:08:28 AM »
What is so bad about DT having released the footage? Is he embarrassed? Or is it like Peter Wildoer's case where he didn't even want to be in the band and just did it for fun. Still doesn't explain why he didn't want the footage shown though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 05:21:30 AM »
First of all, they must have signed some kind of contract including a release to use the footage. DT were completely within their rights to release it.
When they said they wouldn't use the footage if he didn't want them to, I'm sure they probably meant "let us know if you really don't want us to use the footage", and not "we're going to explicitly ask you again in future even though you already signed a release letting us use the footage and knew we were filming it". Minneman should watch his mouth in public instead of being so free with slanderous accusations like that.
It looked like DT paid for the accommodations, travel, etc, to give these people the opportunity to join one of the biggest prog metal bands, and he's bitching that he didn't get paid much for the experience? I'm surprised they got paid at all. It's an audition ffs. I wish I got paid to attend job interviews. If he expected to get paid on top of that just to attend an audition and let them film it, he didn't deserve to be there in the first place.
And is he complaining about not being sent a copy of the video? The one that was freely available for him to watch on Youtube? Or does he mean the full audition tape?

To me the whole thing comes across as a little naive and bitter. From the audition I really loved his playing, but I am so glad that Mangini got the gig instead. Seems he outclasses everyone.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 05:42:02 AM »
Marco should have taken the high road and the boost in popularity.

He was clearly a major league front runner for this gig.  So much so that many DT fans wanted it to be his job.  Why piss of DT fans who ended up really liking him??!! 

Aim at foot....pull trigger!

Offline jsem

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
I agree with rumborak in this thread. If it is as Minnemann suggests, it's terrible and should never have happened.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 06:20:45 AM »
First of all, they must have signed some kind of contract including a release to use the footage. DT were completely within their rights to release it.
When they said they wouldn't use the footage if he didn't want them to, I'm sure they probably meant "let us know if you really don't want us to use the footage", and not "we're going to explicitly ask you again in future even though you already signed a release letting us use the footage and knew we were filming it". Minneman should watch his mouth in public instead of being so free with slanderous accusations like that.
It looked like DT paid for the accommodations, travel, etc, to give these people the opportunity to join one of the biggest prog metal bands, and he's bitching that he didn't get paid much for the experience? I'm surprised they got paid at all. It's an audition ffs. I wish I got paid to attend job interviews. If he expected to get paid on top of that just to attend an audition and let them film it, he didn't deserve to be there in the first place.
And is he complaining about not being sent a copy of the video? The one that was freely available for him to watch on Youtube? Or does he mean the full audition tape?

To me the whole thing comes across as a little naive and bitter. From the audition I really loved his playing, but I am so glad that Mangini got the gig instead. Seems he outclasses everyone.

I agree with all of this. All the time I see more and more why they took Mangini over all those terrific drummers.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 06:31:50 AM »
I'm with the last couple of posts from Blob and Stoney.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
I agree with rumborak in this thread. If it is as Minnemann suggests, it's terrible and should never have happened.

I agree with you and therefore agree with Rumbo. I really didn't like the way they handled the audition stuff and now knowing this it's even worse.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:58 AM »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and not that I would doubt Marco, but you go into a room and play with a bunch of guys with cameras and then get upset when you show up in a documentary? Obviously he did interviews and was aware of its existence.

Half of me wants somebody to ask about this in an interview to clarify, and the other half just wishes it would stop here.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
MM's reaction's a liitle over the top, given that it's not the first time he's reacted like that. BUT was he naive enough to give the permission to be filmed and wanting the guys not to use the footage afterwards? If he was so buggered, he should have told the guys not to film him in the first place. But the filming brought some attention to him, nope? He appeared on the doc as one of the last 2 contenders : isn't it a good thing for him?
As for not being paid enough, come on, as Blob said I've never ever been paid for a job interview.
Finally, we only have his side of the story, not the other guys'.
From all this, and something he had said before in the same vein, the guy really appears as bitter and very MPish in his reaction.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 08:35:36 AM »
Marco is the elmo guy right? Not the German guy, cause the German guy didn't look like he could whine like that.
And didn't they get a hotel room and plane ticket? Then a welcoming basket? Now you tell me they got 500$? for auditioning? For jamming with Dream Theater? Well fuck that, 50$ would have been too much :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
I don't really think there's nearly enough information to have these heated, emotional responses from either side.

And Drew, he was auditioning for a band who wrote The Count of Tuscany for heaven's sake. That shirt was awesome :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
What is so bad about DT having released the footage? Is he embarrassed? Or is it like Peter Wildoer's case where he didn't even want to be in the band and just did it for fun. Still doesn't explain why he didn't want the footage shown though.

I think you might have that snake-breeder guy in mind. Didn't he say he wasn't totally interested in being in a full-time band like DT?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline champbassist

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »
Wow, I'm shocked at how professional musicians (Portnoy, Minnemann, etc.) will blast other musicians/bands on social media this year for everyone to read.  It's just so unprofessional.

This. IMHO, there are better ways for professional musicians to express annoyance than "FU".

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2011, 09:37:24 AM »

I think you might have that snake-breeder guy in mind. Didn't he say he wasn't totally interested in being in a full-time band like DT?

yeah, but I also recall Wildoer saying something similar. Maybe I'm wrong.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
Probably he is telling the truth. There's no reason to lie about it, I think.
And he is better than Mangini. Better than all others who were in the auditions.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »
Marco is the elmo guy right? Not the German guy, cause the German guy didn't look like he could whine like that.
Marco is German. Thomas Lang is Austrian.

Offline bardic_tortoise

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
I may be completely off on this, but I think the whole thing is a joke. I saw him at a gig in February and spoke with him inbetween sets, and he had nothing but nice things to say about the band. Granted, this was before the documentary was released, but with the smileys in his post, I wouldn't take what he said too seriously.

Also, when I spoke with him, he did mention that since they did have such great chemistry together, that he, JP and Jordan were going to do some sort of project together, strongly implying that it would be a side project. He NEVER said anything about them collaborating on a solo CD of his.

This seems like the most reasonable and informed response so far, but no one seems to have read it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2011, 11:40:38 AM »
Personally, I see this as a famous person toying with fans on twitter and the like. makes me laugh, and doesn't Deter my enjoyment of his music. He's just expressing what he thinks that's it. I just find understand how upset people get as if they're their best friend.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
I may be completely off on this, but I think the whole thing is a joke. I saw him at a gig in February and spoke with him inbetween sets, and he had nothing but nice things to say about the band. Granted, this was before the documentary was released, but with the smileys in his post, I wouldn't take what he said too seriously.

Also, when I spoke with him, he did mention that since they did have such great chemistry together, that he, JP and Jordan were going to do some sort of project together, strongly implying that it would be a side project. He NEVER said anything about them collaborating on a solo CD of his.
This seems like the most reasonable and informed response so far, but no one seems to have read it.
Yeah, I'm surprised too that it took so long to be quoted. I mean, he already did something with JR, right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:01:26 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »
Wait, Marco who?  :P