Author Topic: Marco Minnemann on DT  (Read 58837 times)

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
Re: Marco Minnemann on DT
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »

I should probably reply to this since I am the origin of the "Pez" nickname. In Geman we have an idiom that's called "to lean out of the window" (not sure if there is an equivalent in English) that essentially means if you're doing something 'questionable' (in the wider sense) you shouldn't be surprised of the dangers involved (one of the dangers being ridicule). All the drummers except Aquiles/Pez were very personable, nice guys who showed up in their normal outfit to showcase their drumming. Only Aquiles stood out to me as someone who was buying a little bit too much into the whole metal image. His outfit was all pitch-black, he wore black gloves for drumming, the whole nine yards. So, if you do that, you shouldn't be surprised if people make fun of you a bit. And judging by the fact that it caught on, I guess I'm not the only person who thought that. Besides, "Pez" isn't really that bad a nickname.

rumborak

Exactly how does AP look any different in the DT audition than he does in any of his other vids?
He's wearing a Paiste t-shirt with a white skull and drumstick motif. Very  similar to shirts he wore in other vids so i'd say it was his regular outfit. Drum shirt, shorts and drum gloves, check. Looks like a drummer to me. :P
And those black gloves are Ahead drumming gloves which, to my knowledge, only come in one style.
I fail to see how any of these things deserve ridicule. If they do then why not pick on Wildoer for giving the metal horns?
He also seemed very personable in that and other vids imo, his apology for his mistake at the end of The Dance of Eternity has me convinced of that.
To be honest i think your attitude towards him is a little beneath you, and having been on the receiving of similar and worse from a certain type of people with a very judgmental attitude towards anyone or anything different, it makes me a little uncomfortable.
I suppose the word Pez isn't that bad of a nickname but it's origin makes it insulting.

/rant

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
Would 'generic-looking metal drummer' be less offensive?  Because that's all the nickname means, and it seems pretty accurate to me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
I don't care how he looks, I think this guy can play drums!  :metal

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »
Metal Pez makes me think of candy. Who doesn't like candy...?  :biggrin:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I don't care how he looks, I think this guy can play drums!  :metal

:tup

Metal Pez makes me think of candy. Who doesn't like candy...?  :biggrin:

Aww how sweet  :P

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
Would 'generic-looking metal drummer' be less offensive?  Because that's all the nickname means, and it seems pretty accurate to me.

Not really.  The other 6 drummers that auditioned get called by their actual names (or initials).  Why doesn't AP deserve the same respect?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
What's with the need to show utmost respect on a Dream Theater discussion forum, to some random Brazilian drummer who is marginally connected to Dream Theater?
Jesus Christ, it's a joke, nothing more, nothing less. But, just so that you don't get the runs from this altercation, here's nicknames for all of them:

Mike Mangini: Mangina
Thomas Lang: The Auditionator
Marco Minnemann: FU-DT
Virgil Donati: I wash at zhe audishion
Peter Wildoer: Fabio on Drums
Derek Roddy: Motherfucking Snakes on my Drumkit!
Aquiles Priester: Metal Pez

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GunsOfThePatriots

« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »

Offline lithium112

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »

:rollin

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
What's with the need to show utmost respect on a Dream Theater discussion forum, to some random Brazilian drummer who is marginally connected to Dream Theater?
Jesus Christ, it's a joke, nothing more, nothing less. But, just so that you don't get the runs from this altercation, here's nicknames for all of them:

rumborak

Please never leave here :lol

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2011, 03:49:15 AM »

rumborak

and there are people out there who say germans do not have a sense of humor :lol
Carpe diem baby

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2011, 06:31:31 AM »

rumborak

Rumby, you're crazy, that's why we love you! :-*

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline 02T

« Reply #257 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »

rumborak

Please never leave here :lol
This times 8 bazillion and 4
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2011, 07:48:09 AM »

Personally, I try to be respectful of people, in general (unless they show themselves unworthy through their actions).  But, maybe that's just me.  I just keep thinking about how awesome it was when Peter Wildoer joined the forum and was made to feel welcome, and then imagining if, instead, he'd come here to find he'd been labeled with infantile nicknames.

Priester clearly wasn't the right guy for DT, but he acquitted himself pretty well, and he certainly seems much cooler and worthy of respect than, say, Derek Roddy.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »

rumborak

Virgil's and Derek's  :lol
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
Personally, I try to be respectful of people, in general (unless they show themselves unworthy through their actions).  But, maybe that's just me.  I just keep thinking about how awesome it was when Peter Wildoer joined the forum and was made to feel welcome, and then imagining if, instead, he'd come here to find he'd been labeled with infantile nicknames.

Sure, but on the other hand, maybe it wouldn't be too bad for him to realize how he comes across publicly to some people? We are certainly prime target audience for his music, but quite a few of us feel he's crossing the line to tackiness too much. That doesn't mean he should change, but it might simply be something he's not aware of. I also would hope he's internet-savvy enough that he's not checking online forums to see his feelings handled with satin gloves.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
Outstanding.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2011, 02:50:03 AM »
- (woops, double posted)

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:56 AM »

Well that was really lame of DT if it's true, and it probably is. I don't get all the people flaming Marco, he was clearly annoyed by this, and I would have been, in fact I'd make sure everyone hears about it so the don't fall for the same thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:03 AM »
Yeah, I'd hate for anyone else to fall into the same trap of getting an all expenses paid (and then some) one-time opportunity to audition for a big prog metal band, and free exposure. I really feel for the guy.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:59:41 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Hprog

« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2011, 03:15:14 AM »
Yeah, I'd hate for anyone else to fall into the same trap of getting an all expensives paid (and then some) one-time opportunity to audition for a big prog metal band, and free exposure. I really feel for the guy.

+1  ;D

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »

Sure, but on the other hand, maybe it wouldn't be too bad for him to realize how he comes across publicly to some people? We are certainly prime target audience for his music, but quite a few of us feel he's crossing the line to tackiness too much. That doesn't mean he should change, but it might simply be something he's not aware of. I also would hope he's internet-savvy enough that he's not checking online forums to see his feelings handled with satin gloves.

rumborak

Leather gloves, surely?

Offline DreamTheaterMM

« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
It's funny how everyone is taking DT's side, calling Marco a whiner and whatnot. Not really surprising though.

I agree.  Absolutely astonishing that the folks on Dreamtheaterforums.org would take DT's side.  :laugh:

This sums it up best:
Er, no one held a gun to this guy's head and made him audition.  If he didn't like the idea of the documentary, then he shouldn't have taken part in the audition.  Simple as that.  He can talk about the unwritten gentleman's agreement all he wants, but if he signed something that gave them the right to use him in it, then it is his own fault.  No one forced him to sign anything. 

Called an album title 5 years before release  :rollin
;) Very ASTONISHING.... ;)

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »
And in italicized text. A pun 5 years ahead of its time. I was speechless watching that comment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:18:24 PM by fischermasamune »