Author Topic: Marco Minnemann on DT  (Read 58695 times)

Offline dodido253

Marco Minnemann on DT
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »
Marco on DT audition :
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150422214608773&id=60833133772

Alex Choper
Wooooo!!! I will waiting for you, I see your videos every day so you inspired me :) you were the winner on DT Audition Regards!!

Marco Minnemann
I btw have an email where they promised me to not use the video if I don't want to. Well, they lied:-). But thanks for your kind words.
For the entire filming I received $500, broken promises about the release and collaborations on my new CD. And someone calling me and complaining he heard I was telling people in advance who the new drummer is. And on top of it I never got even send a copy. So FU DT, I'm sorry:-)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Marco Minnemann on DT
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
Shame on you, DT.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
Wouldn't this be on DT's management?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
This.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »

This is what I was thinking...seems to me that the band wouldn't be the kind of people to go back on contractual stuff like not using video.  And my guess is that Marco hasn't severed ties with all of DT.  Steven Wilson mentioned that he met Marco because of Jordan, and Jordan/Marco's live jam thing was after the auditions. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
He got $500?

I'm confused at what this guy is complaining about.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »
He got $500?

I'm confused at what this guy is complaining about.

What? He got compensated for his time, but was told he could have have his footage kept off the tape.

Mutual exclusivity, bro.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
If you've got a grain of salt lying around, take it with this. We've got one side of the story detailed very briefly and ambiguously (and the spelling doesn't help either).

Having said that, I'm sorry to hear the audition left a bad taste in Marco's mouth. He seemed to really enjoy his audition on the tape.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »
$500 is a pittance for world-class musicians giving up an entire afternoon. I joined a cover band that plays 35-40 song sets with just me (bass), a singer/guitarist, and a drummer, and with rare exception, we play for a minimum of $100-a-man for a 4-hour show. Getting someone of Marco's caliber to set aside an entire work day to come out for something that may only end up giving him nothing more than a brief bit of niche market publicity is nothing short of a steal.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
$500 is a pittance for world-class musicians giving up an entire afternoon. I joined a cover band that plays 35-40 song sets with just me (bass), a singer/guitarist, and a drummer, and with rare exception, we play for a minimum of $100-a-man for a 4-hour show. Getting someone of Marco's caliber to set aside an entire work day to come out for something that may only end up giving him nothing more than a brief bit of niche market publicity is nothing short of a steal.
I don't know how this applies. Marco wasn't playing a show; he was auditioning for a spot in a band. The $500 was his compensation for the documentary, which won't generate any revenue on its own.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
I guess I can understand how he feels slighted but he kinda comes across as feeling more entitled.  Wasn't there one other musician that was kinda miffed at this whole thing?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
Apparently he was also promised collaborations on his new CD that didn't materialize either. It's of course all business, but I can totally understand that he doesn't feel like praising DT (and he probably gets asked about the auditions all the time) when all tge has is a couple of bucks and having been screwed over.

rumborak

Offline John94

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
I think Derek Roddy was too. @Madman Shepherd

I mean to be honest, I can see where Marco is coming from, but regarding the broken promises on collaborations, I think finding a new drummer and creating a new album/tour takes precedence over side projects at this time. So to me, Marco has just shot himself in the foot. Plus, if Marco wasn't too comfortable with having the footage shown, then maybe DT wasn't the band for him, as we the fans definitely wanted to see the footage (we even want to see more of the auditions) and the band wanted to record and release this moment in DT history.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
FU DT :-)

Maturity. :-)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
It's not about DT "not being the band for him". He was promised certain things when signing the contract for the auditions, and DT (management) reneged on it.

rumborak

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
FU DT :-)

Maturity. :-)

I don't always agree with Jamesman42 posts...

But when I do, I always get rock hard.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
.............................. I don't get it. What's he mad about?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
I think Derek Roddy was too. @Madman Shepherd

I mean to be honest, I can see where Marco is coming from, but regarding the broken promises on collaborations, I think finding a new drummer and creating a new album/tour takes precedence over side projects at this time. So to me, Marco has just shot himself in the foot. Plus, if Marco wasn't too comfortable with having the footage shown, then maybe DT wasn't the band for him, as we the fans definitely wanted to see the footage (we even want to see more of the auditions) and the band wanted to record and release this moment in DT history.

I agree 100%.  I also doubt that DT refused to do a side project with him...probably just more scheduling.  They are a tad busy afterall and of course now it doesn't look like it'll happen.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
.............................. I don't get it. What's he mad about?

Doesn't even sound like he's really mad to be honest. Just sharing his annoyance to one of his facebook friends. If you were looking for someone to break it down it seems that:

1) Footage of him was released on the documentary and sounds like he didn't want them to release it.
2) He received a small amount of money for the filming.
3) Apparently he thought there was going to be some sort of collab with DT on his new CD which apparently didn't happen.
4) Someone from DT management (or possibly the band, but I doubt it) called him and accused him of telling people who the new drummer was.
5) No one in management had the courtesy to send him a copy of the documentary that he was on.

Anyway, it just sounds like the audition / documentary process wasn't a pleasant one for him and he explained that to someone on facebook. It's not really a big deal and I assume his relationship with the guys is ok since apparently him and Jordan were supposed to do something together at one point.

Offline indalo

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
Mmm... sad situation but didn't he plaid with Rudess after auditions? Also: all the promises were made by DT or their management? Anyway, it's an ugly thing to make promises and break them  :tdwn

Anyway, I don't understand the "they didn't send me the cd!"  part... why should they send it?  :| (ok, if he's talking about "they didn't send me the docummetary" he's right  :lol
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline johncal

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
First off, if he was signing a contract for the audition and all these "promises" were not included in the contract, then shame on him. Reazd before you sign.

Second, if they said they'd collaborate on one of his CD's, then did he think they'd drop what they're doing right that second to do that? Maybe he should have just been patient and not burned bridges. Now he looks like a whiner, which he is.

Third, if he got paid $500 for the audition on top of his paid expenses to "apply for the job" then he did great. I wish somone would pay me $500 when I applied for a job. I mean come on, you're HOPING to land a job with a world famous band that will pay a lot. It's a HUGE HONOR just to get that chance. That's all. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Fourth, that's the music biz. Reliable burger flipping jobs are always available for those that don't like the shit that happens in that line of work.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 05:14:01 PM »
I understand why Marco is upset. I would be too in his situation.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
First off, if he was signing a contract for the audition and all these "promises" were not included in the contract, then shame on him. Reazd before you sign.

Second, if they said they'd collaborate on one of his CD's, then did he think they'd drop what they're doing right that second to do that? Maybe he should have just been patient and not burned bridges. Now he looks like a whiner, which he is.

Third, if he got paid $500 for the audition on top of his paid expenses to "apply for the job" then he did great. I wish somone would pay me $500 when I applied for a job. I mean come on, you're HOPING to land a job with a world famous band that will pay a lot. It's a HUGE HONOR just to get that chance. That's all. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Fourth, that's the music biz. Reliable burger flipping jobs are always available for those that don't like the shit that happens in that line of work.

There's the legal relationship he has with DT+management that's defined in the contract. Then there's the personal relationship and all the stuff they said to each other. If someone made a promise with him and didn't keep it then it's just a bad move, regardless of what's in the contract.

The way I understood the $500 thing is that they paid him for the documentary filming portion, not the actual audition.

Regarding things that happen in the music business, I'd say one of the most important things is having integrity and honesty. Now, there's nothing I know about the guys in DT that suggest that they don't have these qualities in boatloads, so I assume that if there was any miscommunication it would be on the side of the management.

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Not much to be upset about if you ask me. I bet he's annoyed with not being chosen. Too bad Marco :D
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »
Not much to be upset about if you ask me. I bet he's annoyed with not being chosen. Too bad Marco :D

Pretty sure he's not.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
I may be completely off on this, but I think the whole thing is a joke. I saw him at a gig in February and spoke with him inbetween sets, and he had nothing but nice things to say about the band. Granted, this was before the documentary was released, but with the smileys in his post, I wouldn't take what he said too seriously.

Also, when I spoke with him, he did mention that since they did have such great chemistry together, that he, JP and Jordan were going to do some sort of project together, strongly implying that it would be a side project. He NEVER said anything about them collaborating on a solo CD of his.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
Um, that's really unprofessional of him to write "f-you Dream Thaeter."  Just the fact that he wrote that makes me not believe anything he says.  Don't give him any attention, seems like that's what he wants to me....
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
The fact that he tacked on "I'm sorry" after the "FU DT" makes me think he's being sincere. 

Didn't Marco play a one-off show with Jordan as a result of the auditions?  That alone should negate his complaining.  He got something out of the auditions, five other guys can't even say that.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
If Extreme thought us anything, it's that there are III sides to every story. I find some of these posts laughable, offering statements of fact when it's highly unlikely there is any knowledge of the facts.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
Wow, I'm shocked at how professional musicians (Portnoy, Minnemann, etc.) will blast other musicians/bands on social media this year for everyone to read.  It's just so unprofessional.  The business side of music can be ugly I'm sure, but it needs to stay behind closed doors.  I was high on Minnemann after seeing him drum with Steven Wilson this year, but now I've lost respect.  Even if there were aspects of his DT "arrangement" that didn't meet expectations or whatever, to publicly throw an "FU" at DT is just so immature, IMO.  I hope JR and JP keep their distance from him from now on.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:29:14 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
I left my thoughts on FB, bad Marco! LOL
Thanks,
Dave

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
The fact that he tacked on "I'm sorry" after the "FU DT" makes me think he's being sincere. 

Yeah, and there's a sarcastic little "smile" after the, "I'm sorry."  Nothing sincere about that, in my opinion.  Even if he's completely telling the truth and absolutely right (which I don't believe, anyway), I think this was a douchey thing to do.  Just my opinion. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
I don't know how this applies. Marco wasn't playing a show; he was auditioning for a spot in a band. The $500 was his compensation for the documentary, which won't generate any revenue on its own.

If DT only had to shell out $500 each for the seven drummer prospects plus expenses then they barely had to shell out anything in the grand scheme of things. They had a new album partially or fully written that they were, for very good reason, quite satisfied with and would benefit substantially from being able to start touring in support of it with no lapse in band activity since never missing a beat helped them avoid any outsider doubts regarding the future of the band. Throw in the fact that they were able to assemble seven of their favorite drummers in the world for their own picking in order to insure the best fit and, for less than ten grand (most likely), they were able to keep the DT train rolling with zero momentum lost, likely gained some momentum, and thanks at least in some small way, saw A Dramatic Turn of Events chart in the top 10 in America. There probably are some out there that would've held off purchasing the album if they were convinced DT hadn't found a capable MP replacement or if they only had a temporary replacement since some folks may have been waiting to see DT live and figured "better get the new album so I'll be current on their material when I go out and see 'em."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies