Author Topic: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***  (Read 36509 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie coming in 2012)
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2012, 02:22:58 AM »
I really liked it. I don't get the negativity with the plot holes. Oh they never explain why this happens so it just does? Leaving things to speculation and filling in your own blanks is great. A sequel or special features can fill in misunderstanding.

Not to mention that in real life you don't always get all your questions answered.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2012, 02:35:49 AM »
When people complain about the plotholes, I don't think they focused on the parts that are left unknown for speculation, but more things like these: (putting in smaller text so I wont spoil those who haven't seen it)

One part that I thought was a bit silly was how easy they went from entering the planet's atmosphere, and then finding the ruins. Back in Alien they had a signal they could track down, but here they just stumbled upon them right away. I think it would have been more believable if they had checked the entire planet before landing, even if the ruins are cool, there might have been an even bigger facility just on the other side of some mountains. :P
We also have the scene when the infected scientist comes back and kills off 2-3 people in the crew. Yet, nobody even seems to miss these people. No scene about mourning them, to me it felt like the movie had reached a point where they realized "hey, we got too many people alive, we have to kill some off", which they did.

Another thing I know lots of people (myself included) complained about was characters doing irrational and stupid things.
One of my biggest issues with the movie was the two scientists that were left behind in the ruins. At first they were terrified when they heard about a possible lifeform, yet when they encountered the mutated worm/alien-snake, they decided to cuddle with it. No matter how much balls you have, there is no way you would go up to an alien and just "cuddle", no way.

Despite some problems with the plotholes and characters doing silly things, I still enjoyed the movie quite a lot. I still think that the script that leaked a while back would have made a better movie, but probably too close to the Alien movies.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »
I thought it was OK, not great. I didn't have particularly high expectations for it and I haven't seen Alien, so I'm not really disappointed. I don't think it's anything to do with me not having seen Alien though - if anything the people who had seen the Alien films seemed to like it less than me. A guy sitting in the cinema behind me said immediately as the film ended "That was shite. Waste of money." Thought it was pretty funny even though I don't quite agree.

One thing I don't really get is how lots of people seemed to be confused by the film. Two of my friends that I went with (who had seen Alien) seemed to not understand the film as much as anything. When I tried to figure out exactly what part they didn't get I couldn't really work out exactly what it was, they just seemed to be generally confused by the film... not really sure what was confusing about it, myself.

But anyway, I found the beginning of the film really weak and the plot wasn't too interesting, but it was a good enough experience to watch and some of the characters were good. Michael Fassbender was great, probably the most memorable thing about the film, and I'm really glad Idris Elba had an important role in it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
Seeing it today :caffeine:
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
I always agree to letting a story leave questions unanswered and leaving it up to speculation, but the problem is that the things that Prometheus leaves out are actually very bothersome and without all that much physical evidence to prove a speculation.

On that note, I still loved the film. There were some minor issues I had with the script (especially that fucking awful line where Vickers was all like "FATHER!". They handled that pretty poorly if you ask me) but overall it was still fantastic.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
When people complain about the plotholes, I don't think they focused on the parts that are left unknown for speculation, but more things like these: (putting in smaller text so I wont spoil those who haven't seen it)

One part that I thought was a bit silly was how easy they went from entering the planet's atmosphere, and then finding the ruins. Back in Alien they had a signal they could track down, but here they just stumbled upon them right away. I think it would have been more believable if they had checked the entire planet before landing, even if the ruins are cool, there might have been an even bigger facility just on the other side of some mountains. :P
We also have the scene when the infected scientist comes back and kills off 2-3 people in the crew. Yet, nobody even seems to miss these people. No scene about mourning them, to me it felt like the movie had reached a point where they realized "hey, we got too many people alive, we have to kill some off", which they did.

Another thing I know lots of people (myself included) complained about was characters doing irrational and stupid things.
One of my biggest issues with the movie was the two scientists that were left behind in the ruins. At first they were terrified when they heard about a possible lifeform, yet when they encountered the mutated worm/alien-snake, they decided to cuddle with it. No matter how much balls you have, there is no way you would go up to an alien and just "cuddle", no way.

Despite some problems with the plotholes and characters doing silly things, I still enjoyed the movie quite a lot. I still think that the script that leaked a while back would have made a better movie, but probably too close to the Alien movies.

I agree with all those plus the fact that, at the very end, David just says 'There're more ships' and then suddenly they're on one and flying off.  Pretty weak there.

Also, nobody bats an eyelash at Weyland suddenly appearing on the ship or Shaw running around half-naked, covered in blood and with a stapled midsection.  Actually, that entire sequence going from when David tells Shaw that she's pregnant to Weyland's appearance is very odd, almost nonsensical and the fact that no one seems to notice that the med-room has a giant, quickly growing squid thing in it.

The structure of the movie is just really weird. The first half mirrors Alien quite a bit, but the second half is missing the threat of, well, anything to really drive the action.  All the action is driven by a series of semi-related occurrences; the alien lampreys, the mutated scientist, squid-baby and then, finally, the Engineer.  I won't say it's unsuccessful, it'll probably require another viewing before I come to that conclusion, but it's certainly missing something to unify the movie, something to drive the action other than the questionable decisions made by the characters or the black, mutating goo.  At no point did I really feel as if the entire crew was in jeopardy, they could just leave at any time really (notwithstanding Vicker's orders not to).

That said, it's pretty clear that some of this stuff isn't intended to be answered in the movie; the goals of the Engineers and the nature of the goo (bioweapon doesn't cut it, it's an extremly shitty bioweapon) so I hope, if there's a sequel, that they give the script a little more polish.  There's definitely an interesting story here and I hope they can find it, though maybe I would be pleased with just Noomi Rapace and Micheal Fassbender's head flying around the universe, solving mysteries. :D

So, in conclusion, great effects, the film is a pleasure to watch.  The acting is great all around, though Fassbender and Theron are the stars here.  The plot and writing are pretty weak at points, but it's not enough to make the film bad.  It's creepy, it's entertaining, but I'm still a bit disappointed.  Here's hoping that in 5 years Ridley releases the Director's Cut that's an hour longer and fixes up the questionable parts of the film.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
I really think another 15-20 minutes to the movie would have made it so much better. More character development (so that you would care more about what happens) and puzzling together some scenes in a better way. There were indeed scenes that felt a bit rushed and "crammed" in between two scenes, and I think that a few other scenes around those would make it flow better.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »
I think the 'Weyland Reveal' is the one plot point that just fucks up the flow of the movie.  It's incredibly pointless and it lacks any sort of, I dunno, gravity.  I know when I saw the movie, I was more like 'Oh, it's Weyland um what?' There're hints dropped throughout the movie, but he isn't present long enough to build any sort of relationship with the audience.  He's just... there and then he dies.  Even David doesn't get much chance to interact with him.

My solution?  Make him a part of the crew from the very beginning, lower his age by about 10 or 15 years (that gets rid of that awful makeup), but keep it so that something is killing him, something terminal.  The first half of the movie is driven by Shaw's desire to find the Engineers and then, when shit goes down, the second half is driven by Weyland's belief that he can cheat death itself.  That gives a little more conflict with the crew and something other than black goo that drives the action. 

Plus, it means Guy Pearce is on screen longer and that's never a bad thing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »
Yeah I agree with all of that.

Guy Pearce is awesome and it's sad that he got to play an old man with tons of makeup. It looked pretty fake, and if they needed to have an older man, they should have casted an older actor IMO.
But as you said, why couldn't they just have made it so he had cancer or something? Something he couldn't cure at least, and he could just be himself.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
Seeing it tomorrow! :caffeine:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »
Saw it, there were a few things that seemed really weird. The one guy going crazy after getting acid in the face seemed really unnecessary, and the latter 1/3 or so just seemed rushed. Still, I really liked it overall.

Guy Pearce is awesome and it's sad that he got to play an old man with tons of makeup. It looked pretty fake, and if they needed to have an older man, they should have casted an older actor IMO.
But as you said, why couldn't they just have made it so he had cancer or something? Something he couldn't cure at least, and he could just be himself.

I dunno, it looked kinda fake, but I feel like that was the point. At least I was under the impression that the guy was abnormally old and kept alive mainly through advanced medical tech, so it makes sense that he's not gonna look like a 'naturally' old person.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:26:22 PM by Sigz »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
I was talking with a friend of mine at work today about the movie. He referred to it as the "prequel trilogy of Alien films".  :lol

I definitely wouldn't go that far, but it made me laugh a little bit. I feel like I need to see it again to really judge it.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
I really enjoyed it. Kept me thinking about the possibilities and dwelling on some of the themes. I think it will be a film I go back to a number of times to unlock more of the mysteries. I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel. That would enable them to essentially be free from parameters of being an "Alien" related film and allow expansive, unique mythology. We shall see if the grosses justify one (my theater was pretty spacious, but it was a matinee). 
For what I was expecting, it was more then I could've hoped for. I give it a 4/5, possibly even 4.5/5.   

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »

They shot viral videos with him without makeup, so I assume they wanted the same actor instead of recasting for the older version. Honestly, I saw no issue with the makeup. No one I was with recognized him until I told them "that's the guy from Memento".

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »
Saw it today, thought it was absolutely awesome. A few minor nitpicks but overall it was absolutely fantastic. Lots of things to speculate over, and that's half the fun, I'd say. It'll surely make for an awesome sequel.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »
So I have an option to see Avengers or this.  I'm not sure which to see.  Thoughts?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2012, 01:03:50 AM »
Both are good.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
I don't know if any of you others saw it when it circulated the internet, but there was an early "draft" or idea going around, which I thought would have made a better movie probably. Maybe a bit closer to Alien, but that isn't really a problem.
And there's really no reason to spoil it because it's far from how the movie ended up, but still, the early idea was this:

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that suggest humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien Gods’ home-world, to Paradise. Months later, the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship Prometheus and its crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel, a few years later the Prometheus enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists, but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut-eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor is an Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission: Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

I thought that would have made a great movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2012, 04:31:49 AM »
I don't know if any of you others saw it when it circulated the internet, but there was an early "draft" or idea going around, which I thought would have made a better movie probably. Maybe a bit closer to Alien, but that isn't really a problem.
And there's really no reason to spoil it because it's far from how the movie ended up, but still, the early idea was this:

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that suggest humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien Gods’ home-world, to Paradise. Months later, the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship Prometheus and its crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel, a few years later the Prometheus enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists, but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut-eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor is an Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission: Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

I thought that would have made a great movie.

That would have been sweet.

And I know it will probably would never happen, but I wish James Cameron would come back and do Prometheans.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2012, 05:26:22 AM »
While I love some of Cameron's older stuff, he hasn't really done anything that has impressed me in the last decade or so. :/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »
Probably because he's only done one film since 1997  :P

Everything before that was awesome though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2012, 06:51:23 AM »
Well yeah, still I don't really care for Titanic either. So for me it's still like 15-20 years since he made something I appreciated. :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
Well yeah, still I don't really care for Titanic either. So for me it's still like 15-20 years since he made something I appreciated. :P

Everything From Aliens til True Lies is all golden though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:03 AM »
Just out of curiosity, has Scott ever said anything about his thoughts on Aliens?
That he didn't care much for Alien 3 and Resurrection (or AVP) seems quite obvious, but what about Aliens?

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2012, 09:04:33 AM »
I will take Ridley over Cameron any day.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
I will take Ridley over Cameron any day.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
Scott is pure genius. Not taking anything away from cameron, but he relies alot on special effects and to be honest is not a great story teller. Case in point, Cameron could never have done Black Hawk Down (IMHO) one of the greatest movies ever made.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
I'd probably take Scott over Cameron as well, though I think Aliens has aged better than Alien. (the latter is still good, but it looks old in some places)

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
I will agree with that.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
Hear is my thoughts on the movie:

I´m sorry but i suck immensly at reviewing movies and will instead redirect to this other review that i found on IMDB.com that pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie:

Author: michael-albertsen from Denmark
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

I'm really sorry, but this a major disappointment.

No, I didn't expect miracles or something close to the original Alien. I've been following Scott for 30 years - and it's clear that he has been on the decline since Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

I liked a few of his later movies like A Good Year - but most have been rather flat and uninspired.

One thing I've noticed, is that he's gotten increasingly complacent with his own "point of view" in terms of historical facts and how things work in reality. It's like he has a complete disregard for plausible motivations or factual information about how things work.

Case in point - there's a scene in the movie where a certain character has to have an operation performed on her body - and it involves slicing directly through the skin and muscle-tissue of her abdomen. After the procedure, she's simply "stitched together" by metal clips in like 3 seconds - and with a bit of local anesthetic, she continues to move and jump about with some moaning. Ehm, you CAN'T have any kind of normal movement with your muscle tissue completely severed - and there was absolutely no healing involved. Just one of a series of ridiculous events.

The plot is entirely juvenile and cliché stuff with "profound" questions like who created us. For some reason, the beings who created us also want to kill us - and it seems to involve incredibly elaborate genetic engineering that also happened to kill most of them in their remote "lab facility". They're CLEARLY much more powerful than we are - and they could just bomb the hell out of us, or do it in a thousand simpler ways. But no, they seem to want to utilize excessively elaborate and dangerous genetic modification or infestation - that they can't even control.

They also like to record recent events with some kind of holographic recorder device that is unable to render clear images, only some cool ghostly images that I bet Scott loved to play with. But they're quite flexible in how they let you play recordings of their security procedure - so you can access their systems without effort.

Characters are void of personality and growth, they're REALLY stupid - and they like to freak out for no reason, and they like to stay calm and playful when there IS a reason - like when encountering a nasty looking cobra-worm - an alien - for the first time in history.

Among these faceless people - we have some willing to gleefully commit suicide by ramming an alien ship, because they like their captain, and they're required to do so because he "can't fly worth a damn" - despite him being the primary pilot hired by a billionaire to do nothing but fly the ship.

We have a religious scientist who concludes that she's found our creators, based on: "It's what I choose to believe".

Then we have the very same religious scientist look at an alien "head" they brought back - and she notices some strange growth on it. She then spends 2 seconds thinking and concludes that this is obviously some kind of "foreign cells" (impressive deduction, I must say) - and she decides to stimulate the cells with electricity - just to see what happens. No research - no caution - no nothing.

We have people who decide to open the door to their ship, seemingly with no thought process, despite having just faced complete chaos by extremely hostile alien forces - because one of their crew mates seems to be lying in front of the door. This while other crew mates have just been taken over by some kind of alien infestation.

Then we have the boyfriend of said religious scientist (a douche) who decides that the air in an alien environment is safe to breathe because his device tells him it is - and he immediately removes his helmet. A classic Hollywood scientist moment, and clearly there's no need to worry about biological contaminants in a place like that.

This movie is FULL of this kind of utterly implausible behavior and random decisions.

It has a couple of "for effect" gore scenes - but Scott manages to include ZERO tension along with them. As a result, they're mildly disgusting - but they have no lasting effect whatsoever.

The "aliens" that are a part of this movie all look like plastic - because of overly smooth and pale skin. They look like Lovecraft creatures without a much-needed paint-job.

We have a horribly predictable, pointless and wasted twist involving Guy Pearce and a certain other cast member.

We have an android, well-acted by Fassbender, who seems to be fully random in his decisions and motivations. Few actions made sense in any context - not to me anyway.

The music was overwrought and didn't fit with the mood of the film, and it seemed like one theme being repeated endlessly. A surprise, given Scott's usual flair for good music.

I think Lindelof is a complete and total hack - who only got the job because he was the "yes-man" who could match Scott's ego. This is pretty obvious in interviews - where Lindelof always manages to publicly kiss Scott's behind.

1 Star for Fassbender's performance.

1 Star for the amazingly detailed visuals.

1 Star for how the above combine to form the excellent beginning.

Now, it's just a matter of leaning back - musing over a thousand different people coming up with a thousand different explanations - each being the "correct" interpretation of this deep and thought-provoking masterpiece.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
Feels like he's just complaining for the sake of complaining; a lot of the things he brings up are of personal preference.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
To be fair there were several plotholes. I think the big difference that divides people who liked the movie or disliked it, is how much you actually look for the plotholes. I thought it had some, but most of them was minor enough to not bother me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
Is anyone else disappointed at the people of the world becasue Madagascar 3 made more money than Prometheus this weekend?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Not really. I'd generally expect children's movies to make more money than an R rated flick.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
Loved this movie, I'll need to read this thread before discussing anything.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.