Author Topic: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***  (Read 36504 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »
For starters, I was actually surprised that this movie didn't have it's own thread here, surely there must be someone else as excited as me? :P

Anyhow, Prometheus is the new upcoming SciFi-movie by Ridley Scott, and it will be set in the same universe as the Alien-movies.
Loads have been speculated about if it is a prequel, a sidemovie or what kind of connections it will have, there aren't much revealed, but the latest news are that the last ~5-10 minutes of the movie will have connections to Alien.
Personally the main thing that got me interested in the movie was the Alien-connection since I love those movies, but even if it turns out to be 95% a standalone movie, I'm still very excited because I think Ridley Scott is great, and can capture the sort of dark, creeping horror.

The majority of the cast is pretty much done as well, we'll see the new Swedish "star" (by that I mean someone who has been unknown outside of Sweden until fairly recently :P) Noomi Rapace, we'll also see Michael Fassbender (who I really like), Charlize Theron, Guy Peace (a personal favorite), Idris Elba and Logan Marshall-Green to name a few.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/

https://www.prometheus-movie.com/ is a great site if you want frequent updates about the movie, not all of the stuff they talk about is official, but some speculation and other interesting things.
The trailer isn't too far into the future, and there's a lot of talk about the trailer being available in the next 2-3 weeks or so, the movie itself is set for a release in June, 2012.

Some pictures has already been revealed, you can see find them here and there, but here's one link: https://www.movie-moron.com/?p=20397
To round this post up, I'll put in a picture to sum up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:23:32 AM by bosk1 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie coming in 2012)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »
Yes, I am excited for this one.  Apparently the scope is far beyond the "terror in space" of the Alien films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:59:59 AM »
Ridley Scott hasn't done much to impress me in a long while.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »
Very Excited for this! Thanks for the link to the update site...I'll be checking that out frequently. I have been curious about this movie ever since it was announced and how he was going to tie it into Alien....looking forward to seeing it.

Side note:
      I loved Alien but Aliens is just a tad bit higher on my list as far as 'favorite', I think it's due to I liked the characters in Aliens a bit more. to me they were written perfectly. Anyway, I honestly have seen Aliens over 300 times, I used to watch it over and over back when I first got the VCR tape. Last summer I went on a local radio show for a trivia challenge and that was my category of expertise...the movie Aliens. Callers would call in and try to stump me with some off the wall small details about the movie and I didn't fail to answer a question. My little moment in the sun I suppose.  ;D

Thanks again Zantera for the link..appreciate it. :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »
YAY... Thanks Zantera  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
Also, while there isn't much known about possible connections to Alien yet, here are some of my thoughts: (putting it in small text cause even though it's speculating, maybe I end up spoiling something) :P

It has been discussed that maybe in the end of the movie, one of the "space jockey's" crash a ship on LV-426 (the planet where they first discover the eggs in Alien), sorta relating to the story of how they got there.
While I'm not 100% sure about it, it is possible that we get to learn a bit about the Alien-creature, and someone survives in Prometheus, which leads somehow to the Weyland-Yutani corporation finding out about it, and where the ship crashed for example.

Another thing could be that we get to see the creation of the Alien-creature, or that the humans in Prometheus manages to "release" them somehow, which could be a cool idea, that the horror of the aliens is something mankind has brought on themselves.

One thing that I do like, is that Ridley Scott most likely will ignore everything about Alien VS Predator, while those movies were entertaining, they were really bad, and I didn't care for the backbone story they had.
I want something cooler then "the predators brought the aliens to the earth so they could battle", and if any of my theories are right, it will be. :)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Ridley really only seems to acknowledge Alien and Aliens. There's quite a number of inconsistencies with the series and spinoffs as is, so I'm not really too concerned about continuity. I just want a good film. And judging by what I've seen so far, I'm willing to bet we get it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:36 AM »
Ridley really only seems to acknowledge Alien and Aliens.
He's not the only one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »
It's hard to say.
While I didn't like ALL of it, Alien 3 did have some interesting connections to the first two.
The fourth movie (while being entertaining) wasn't that good, and it's mostly a movie I watch for the fun of it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 07:52:05 AM »
Ridley really only seems to acknowledge Alien and Aliens.
He's not the only one.
Add me to that list. Was very let down by Alien 3, and all the others....well.... :tdwn
I'm sure I'm not unique IMO about the Alien vs Predator movies. They had a bit of entertainment value but other than that if there was/is any type of cannon to be a part of they are definately not in it.
Just very curious as to what / where this movie takes us....just that one still photo on the link gets me all excited. It has a very Egyptian feel to it with that huge monolithic face in the background.....very Sphinxish. And I looked it up....sphinxish is a word.  :P

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
btw, I can't put myself in the same boat. I personally love all the movies (AVP: Requiem makes me wanna kill myself though). But I'm probably the world's biggest Alien 3 fan. At times, its my favorite of the series. I also quite like Resurrection and the first AVP from an entertainment standpoint. And while we're on the subject, I'm a big fan of the 3 Predator films, too. So needless to say, Prometheus is one of those films a fanboy like me has been waiting for their whole life.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
Guy Pearce is in it. film of the year.

Also Noomi Rapace + Fassbender is great.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
I guess it's time for me to get around to seeing the Alien movies.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
Do you need to see the Alien movies to get this new one?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »

Prepare to be in some real pretty shit.

Aliens is in my top 5 favorite movies ever.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 01:30:43 PM »
Do you need to see the Alien movies to get this new one?

It doesn't sound like it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »
Aliens is in my top 5 favorite movies ever.

Same here. Hudson is one of my all time favorite characters in any movie. Just a smart ass dude who when needed can kick some butt! You may appreciate as well that my 11 year old Black Lab/Shepherd mix's name is 'Drake' :biggrin:

Thanks to that caferteria knife scene that was clearly sped up and faked....I have put a marking all, multiple knives, screwdrivers...anything with a point through my fingers....mostly back in high school parties.  The worst being a steak knife right between the fleshy part between the knuckles of my ring and middle finger on my left hand. Freaked the people out who were watching. I could usually get a good 10 seconds in before I nailed myself.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Aliens is a phenomenal movie. I watch it every few months.

Alien is still one of the greatest horror movies ever made. The tension in the last half of the movie is... god.

I'm very interested in seeing this movie. Ridley Scott's made a few duds, but he also made Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, and Black Hawk Down so I'm going to give this a chance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:10 AM »
Just the first two.  Or really, just the first one. 

I mean, the second is a great film in its own right, but it's a different kind of film from the first, which is really sci-fi/horror.  The second is an action film (albeit a very good one).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
Just the first two.  Or really, just the first one. 

I mean, the second is a great film in its own right, but it's a different kind of film from the first, which is really sci-fi/horror.  The second is an action film (albeit a very good one).

I'd add 'suspense' to describe the first one as well. The entire scene when Dallas is in the vent system is one of the most suspensful scenes I've ever seen. Very well done. You could cut the tension with a knife.
 I think it's neat how the first two vary so much in the way they are presented....yet still pull off a great story tell. And, it's not that I 'hated' the third one. It was an alright movie for me...I liked it due to the fact that I like the franchise. I suppose I was hoping for a different angle for the third one. Maybe an Alien made it back to Earth or a StarBase or something.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to this as well.  I'm a fan of all of the Alien movies, so this is exciting stuff.

Trivia:  "Fassbender" is an anagram for "Fender bass".   :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 02:54:56 AM »
I thought he looked a bit guitar shaped.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 04:12:34 AM »
So anxious to see this!!! Ridley should have never stopped doing Sci Fi. It's clearly his best.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »
Thanks for the link Zantera! Cool interview. Scott seems like a trip...he'd be fun to talk with over diner "off the record" I'd bet. I like that he's drawing a bit of inspiration from the 'Chariots of the Gods' and similar theories. That kind of 'lost' ancient knowledge and the whole 'Ancient Aliens' theme from the History channel has always been fascinating to me. Now, some of those dudes on the 'Ancien't Aliens' show on the History channel take some MAJOR liberties in connecting the dots....I mean major....but it is still neat to think about and the fact that Scott's even hinted at either using or being inspired by some of those theories and what not makes this film even MORE interesting.
  I like the idea also...it's really starting to sink in and I like it. Taking a "character" like the space jockey who by all accounts could have and should have been a huge question of who/what he was in the first one...but never really made it out of one scene. Taking him and constructing an entire film/story around him therefor keeping the movie tied to the Alien lineage but almost seperate as well being there will not be an appearance from what we consider the 'Alien'. Really neat.
  Can't wait for the trailer.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
I am enthused by the presence of Idris Elba.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
Dang!! I got all excited cuz I went back to the site Zantera had turned me(us) onto and there was a 1:07 official clip ready to be viewed. Clicked it and it said it had been removed due to Fox blocking it for copy write infringment. At least that tells me the trailer can't be that far off.....

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
Probably my most anticipated movie os 2012, next to The Dark Knight Rises.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:59:02 AM »
Dang!! I got all excited cuz I went back to the site Zantera had turned me(us) onto and there was a 1:07 official clip ready to be viewed. Clicked it and it said it had been removed due to Fox blocking it for copy write infringment. At least that tells me the trailer can't be that far off.....

There will be a trailer out tomorrow most likely, since a few days ago they put up a "trailer for a trailer", which is kinda lol.
But yeah, hopefully tomorrow. :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
TRAILERRRRRRRRR!
https://screenrant.com/prometheus-trailer-sandy-144772/

Granted, I'm not watching the whole thing until it is released in HD, but already I've got goosebumps. I'm so excited for this movie. There hasn't been a desolate, epic Sci/Fi film in ages that's pleased me; or a film of that genre released at all, actually (if anyone mentions Apollo 18, I'll cut your internet balls off...wait...fuck...I'm going to cut my own balls off now).

Either way, looks awesome. By the bye, that's a really great site for movies if anyone hasn't been to it before. Hopefully the HD version will be out soon. It says Apple has released it but they haven't quite yet. Friggin' Granny Apple.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
Interesting.  Ridley Scott keeps saying that this film has no connection whatsoever to the Alien films.  Why then does the word Prometheus slowly appear out of a series of seemingly random lines, exactly as with Alien?  He's clearly creating an association there, but at the same time saying they're not connected.

EGE: So you are linking this directly with the Alien films?

RS: Not at all.

EGE: Not at all?

RS: No.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
Yeah, I'd throw that comment out the window. How old is that interview? Because recently I believe he's said it will have some kind of connection, if ever so slightly. I'm thinking in spirit, a more ethereal feel rather than a direct "this is a prequel to Alien". But yes, things like that title appearing are what I expected; a connection in feeling. Actually, I'm not positive if he's said it'll have some sort of connection, but he just did with that title. Not only that but I suppose you'd have to be pretty dense to think it won't have ANY connection at all. It may very well be that in storyline it doesn't have any connection, but it sure as hell precedes the lore of Alien. He may want to blur the lines of connection to establish a larger frame of storytelling if he so chooses to continue with this storyline in the future.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 12:33:22 PM »
Looks killer! :metal I don't see how this movie doesn't rule! Be it brief, the trailer has me very amped up now. It's visually stunning...

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 12:38:52 PM »
I've been dissecting the trailer. It looks like it'll deal with the Space Jockeys a lot. You can see the head/helmet be analyzed in 00:34, AND in 00:44, the Chair from the first Alien movie is activated. But if you look closely, there is some massive figure standing next to it  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
I'm excited about this movie. Seems Ridley Scott is going back on track  :D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.