Author Topic: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***  (Read 36676 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »
The first RE game is a classic. RE 4 is also amazing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »
I just saw the movie for the first time, and I'm assuming it's been out long enough that I don't need a spoiler tag...

So, the big tall dudes invented the aliens as a weapon and were heading to Earth to use them?    Why did everyone find that so hard to understand?   I thought everyone was confused by it.    I mean, sure there were some unanswered questions, but I didn't find the plot as hard to follow as I had feared based on what I had heard.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
Yeah, it's all a bit blown out of proportion by now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2015, 02:16:41 AM »
The weird thing is - the end is supposedly the first xenomorph because the black liquid infected Holloway - who impregnated Shaw - who birthed the face hugger thing who impregnated the Engineer.

If that is so - why is there a Xenomorph clearly visible in the murals in the "Giant Head" room.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2015, 04:04:47 AM »
Why is it supposed to be the first? Yeah, there is clearly a xenomorph queen in the murals, which I would take as a clear sign that it wasn't the first at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
So the big reveal at the end of a proto xeno was.....just for shits and giggles ? Pandering to the studio? A shoehorned in xeno for the fans ?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
Maybe it was for the people that never saw the queen in the mural........you know, like me?

Besides, once I realized that that "thing" was a giant facehugger, it's not like I didn't know exactly what was going to happen to that dude anyway.  So the ending just seemed like a perfectly natural progression. 

What I didn't get was why the violent Andrew Luck wannabe came back to life as a Superman. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
So the big reveal at the end of a proto xeno was.....just for shits and giggles ? Pandering to the studio? A shoehorned in xeno for the fans ?

I took it as "Okay, you know that this is going to connect to the xenomorph life cycle that you know and love, but if we don't do something explicit, then people will either be disappointed, not get it, or start making up their own theories.  So here.  We cool now?"

So maybe something like pandering, but really just making the connection clear.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »
The Xenomorph at the end felt shoehorned in the sense that "We gotta SHOW the alien in the movie or the audience will be disappointed", and that just hinting at the alien's existence (via the painting/figure in the wall) was not enough.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »
I'm not sure why it needs to be the first either... I thought it was very clear that the Engineers had done this before. It was all extremely ritualized even from the beginning sequence that happened however many eons ago. The initial engineer meticulously 'praying', taking the vial of substance, ingesting it, being 'reborn'...etc. Very clear that this wasn't the first time to me. Then at the end, it all comes full circle with the humans doing (seemingly) exactly as the Engineers thought and attempting to find immortality and fuckin' shit up per norm. The only part that seemed a stretch to me is how it was done through infestation of the human body, then having sex with another, and finally infecting an Engineer. Even so, I don't think it's too much of a longshot to think that they'd have human experimentation before...after all, they are the creators and have infinitely more knowledge than we.

I liked it, except for this:

What I didn't get was why the violent Andrew Luck wannabe came back to life as a Superman. 

That is the only part that felt weird to me. But even that made a little sense and I could see where they were going. It felt like an amalgamation of what the ending sequence and the beginning sequence were except he 'skipped' a few steps and ended up being the failed experiment. I don't exactly get the powered up form but it does make a little sense when you consider what the Engineers were trying to turn us into...which we see at the end. I thought it was cool and as Ink said, people just loooove to blow shit out of proportion (or get really angry when they don't understand). I'm also with Orby and Zant on the whole 'we have to spell it out for the audience' though, which...actually turned out to be all too true given the initial reactions to the movie and how many people really did not know what the hell was going on, so I suppose they really did need to spell it out for many people.  :lol Which is fine, I'm not going to act like I got everything on the first viewing, it took me a second and third viewing to see all the little details.

In the end, it's all about what you get from the movie, as it is with any other medium. A vast amount of people seem to have this idea of black and white with movies/books that they need to get it exactly right and exactly as the author/director/writer intended or it's all horribly wrong and fuck everyone else's opinion of it. I don't see anything that way anymore. I get what I get from the movie and if you get something different, fine; but it doesn't make what I get out of it any more right or wrong. Sure, if you say something like "Well, the Engineers wanted to turn humans into cotton candy and accidentally put licorice in the equation and we got the Xenomorphs"...then yeah, maybe you should watch the movie again. But nothing has to be exactly a certain way, not to me anyway. Thinking like that seems obtuse and unnecessary. Yes, I'm sure every director and writer wants the audience to get a certain thing from their work, but it doesn't always have to be this perfectly spelled out shmorgishborg of ideas that are exactly as the director/writer meant it.

I liked it enough to be excited about a second! Bring it!  :tup
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:20:53 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
 :coolio :coolio :coolio

Ridley Scott wants " Alien : Covenant " - the sequel to Prometheus to be " A Hard R " rating.

" The chest burster scene in the original Alien ? I want it to be worse ".

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »
I didn't like Prometheus, but as an Alien fanatic, I definitely will be watching Covenant.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
He's going the Avatar route of doing 4 films instead of just making the first movie ( Prometheus ) the first movie.

Why 3 sequels ?

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
He's going the Avatar route of doing 4 films instead of just making the first movie ( Prometheus ) the first movie.

Why 3 sequels ?

Doesn't make a lot of sense unless:
A) He is doing once of those fancy four part "trilogies" like a lot of movie series today
B) He has some grand plan that will only fit in 4 movies?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2016, 10:34:19 PM »
I'm not sure how that doesn't make sense... It's just another set of movies. It's a tetralogy instead of a trilogy. Pretty simple. He wanted to put his story into four movies instead of three. This...isn't anything new.

:huh:

RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2016, 10:43:22 PM »
Well no one really demanded or wanted an origin story so to see a long series just pushed upon people can make the majority of us just go "eeehhhh, well if you really want to I suppose". Also Ridley Scott doesn't have the best track record of editing in his movies so unless there's another production team involved it'll be another "....well the Directors Cut is better!" type movie.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2016, 11:20:49 PM »
Well jeez, you make it sound like he's forcing you to watch it.  :lol "Pushed upon people"? Yeesh. Whatevs *shrug* People don't need to 'demand' or 'want' much of anything when it comes to someone wanting to create something whether it be a movie, game, album... anything, really. He, the creator, wanted an origin story, so he's making it. Watch it, don't watch it...no sweat off my sack. I'm just here for the aliens, bro.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2016, 02:03:18 AM »
I liked Prometheus. I'm really excited for this.

Also, this is going to be four movies? Haven't heard anything about that  :huh:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:14 AM »
I liked Prometheus. I'm really excited for this.

Also, this is going to be four movies? Haven't heard anything about that  :huh:

Prometheus.
Alien : Covenant
?
?

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »
As long as Damon Lindelof is not involved with this franchise I'm in. Prometheus was a beautiful disaster, featuring some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a big budget movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
This may be a good movie after all!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #372 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:30 AM »
featuring some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a big budget movie.

Most definetely not. It wasn't the best ever, but really really far from the worst.

John Logan is a pretty good writer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Logan_(writer)

Impressive resume. I'm sure he'll do a good job.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
featuring some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a big budget movie.

Most definetely not. It wasn't the best ever, but really really far from the worst.

Why does a scientist blissfully ignore evolution because "she chooses to believe" that one alien man on earth drank some black goo that somehow led to all life on earth

The cartologist had one job, to map out the ship with the help of his "pups" so how in the world does he get lost? Like he should be the last person to get lost.

Why does the biologist freak out over a dead carcass but decides to interact with an alien snake with massive teeth?

When the crew first comes out of hyper sleep, they introduce themselves. How have they not already met, or have any idea what the mission objectives are?

Why does the robot betray the humans? What purpose would that serve? And how would the old man know that the black goo would even exist? ("He says to keep trying..")

Why does nobody react when the alien is removed from the girls stomach? Also, why is the machine designed specifically for males ( I think it's because they didn't want to say abortion)

Why did the old man conceal his presence on the ship for so long? He paid for the ship and the mission, even if his intention was a quest for immortality, he still calls the shots.

Why does everyone decide to TAKE THEIR HELMETS OFF when they are inside an alien ship on an alien planet?

I could go on and on. The writing for Prometheus was awful and full of inconstancies.  Like I said, it was a beautiful disaster

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:40 AM »
The male-centric med pod was for Weyland.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2016, 11:31:46 AM »
Yeah, some of those were obvious plot holes, but others were explained and addressed.  The plot definitely had its problems.  But as already said, it is far from the worst.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
Yeah yeah, you can honest trailer this movie to pieces but "some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a big budget movie"? Just no.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
Boiled down -

Engineer sacrificed himself to break down his DNA to create life so that they could come back later and impregnate them with the bio liquid to breed Alien Weapons...

OR they really were just benevolent creators but after humans couldn't get along - they planned to come back and use us to make Alien Weapons.

They left clues for us to come find them - possibly when we had learned to get along and go meet them.

Weyland wants more life as he is almost dead.

Yadda Yadda - lots of unanswered stuff.

They wake the engineer - he observes at first - but then David says Weyland just wants to live longer and sees Shaw get beaten and realises humans have not improved at all.

He sets off to Earth to complete their plan.

That's the broad strokes I think. . . I just wish the middle wan't just a load of setups with no resolutions.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Instead of saying the worst, I should have said disapponting. I'm a huge alien fanboy and was really excited when this movie was first announced. I just found it incredibly underwhelming. The whole time I was watching it I kept thinking "this is seriously the story they wanted to tell?" It left far too many questions unanswered, but this IMO was because the original script underwent the Lindelof treatment. The guy taints almost everything he touches.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »
Apparently it was Damon Lindelof who pushed for Khan in Into Darkness.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: January 20, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
That it leaves questions unanswered is unfair critisism in my opinion, and one that never even crossed my mind until I saw the internet's reaction. I mean, it certainly does leave things unanswered, but I always thought it obvious that it set things up to answered in future movies, which is completely fine by me.

The guy taints almost everything he touches.

Except for The Leftovers, which is brilliant.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: January 20, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Alien Covenant is set several years after Prometheus.

Why would they explain what the green crystal in the head room was and what the giant head was ?

I doubt everything will be explained.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Which is also fine. Does that green stone matter? As far as I can tell, it affected the plot in absolutely no way. Can't that, among a few other things, just be a cool detail? I don't need all info about everything on screen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
Yeah it doesn't matter but Holloway went over and looked at it and the camera showed it.

It's like Chekov's gun. Obviously not everything little thing has to come back later but they made a point of showing it is all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »
That it leaves questions unanswered is unfair critisism in my opinion, and one that never even crossed my mind until I saw the internet's reaction. I mean, it certainly does leave things unanswered, but I always thought it obvious that it set things up to answered in future movies, which is completely fine by me.

Maybe I missed something in the movie but it never set itself up to have an obvious sequel or sequels since it was presented as a very singular entity despite some Alien callbacks. I supposed we're just in an age where if you have a blockbuster everyone just expects that another sequel is coming to answer everything. I remember when District 9 came out and everyone thought the "see you in 3 years" or whatever the line was was an obvious sign that a sequel was coming even though the movie completely wrapped itself up.