Author Topic: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***  (Read 36885 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Prometheus (Ridley Scott's new movie) ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
Like LOST, I could never tell whether the unanswered mysteries are actually really thought up by the writers or just people being way too anal and looking for something out of nothing. Gut feeling, it's almost always the latter.
I kind of like shows like that though. The only problem is that if you allow yourself to get ticked off if they answer any of those questions with something other than what you wanted to hear or see. A lot of folks were ticked at LOST when they started filling in some of those blanks....not I. But some.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2013, 02:27:49 AM »
The only thing that bugged me is - what was that altar in the Head room with the green stone in it?

Yeah that's actually the one real question I still have since it seemed to be important by where it was placed and how they showed it. I'm not wondering that much about the other stuff because I thought it was obvious that we'd learn more in the next movie/s if there were any.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
I'm watching this again right now... I don't understand the Hollands running around?..?...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
Saw something on this awhile back, so just thought I would post again.  Last I heard, I think we are about a year out from pt. 2.  And while there were some definite problems with pt. 1, it was still an entertaining flick.  I know I will see the second, and will probably enjoy it despite it probably having issues as well.

And just so I can find it again, the link to my initial reaction to the film:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29871.msg1311937#msg1311937

I do want to say, however, that I am not happy with the amount of time it is taking to get the next one out.  Yeah, I understand taking one's time to make sure the script and everything are right.  And I understand other movie commitments.  But when you make a movie that so obviously is the first in a series of direct sequels (as opposed to a movie that has sufficient closure that it could stand alone if no sequel is ever made), it is really annoying to the fans to have to wait this long.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:20:34 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
I don't mind. I like Prometheus more than most, and am excited to see next one. But there's enough other movies and shows out there to keep me occupied during the wait. Now, if 10 or something years down the line we still didn't have the next film, then I'd definetely feel a bit annoyed, but right now I don't think that limit has been passed.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
I liked prometheus even though it was not really a prequel, it's more like another movie set in the same universe. If part 2 gets made I would like to see some more alien connections in it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »
I don't mind, either.  And frankly, I wouldn't mind if another one didn't get made.  I think it's OK as a standalone movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
I don't mind, either.  And frankly, I wouldn't mind if another one didn't get made.  I think it's OK as a standalone movie.

That would make me a bit disappointed. It sets up some stuff that Ridley Scott seems to have big ideas about, and I would be a bit sad to see that never make it onto the screen.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »
It's okay as a standalone movie, but there are definitely some ideas introduced in Prometheus which tie into the Alien series, and (as mentioned in another thread) I was looking forward to seeing the connections being made a lot more clear.  Now it looks like Scott has no intention of doing that, so that's disappointing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Well, I'm not as huge a fan of the series as many people are.  I think Alien is an amazing horror/sci-fi film on its own, and I think that James Cameron made a fantastic sequel to it, but that's it for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »
Well, I'm not as huge a fan of the series as many people are.  I think Alien is an amazing horror/sci-fi film on its own, and I think that James Cameron made a fantastic sequel to it, but that's it for me.

I thought ALIEN was more a 'suspense/horror' and ALIENS was more an 'action/suspense'

IMO that is the series. Those two movies. The third movie had a couple redeeming qualities by the premise behind it was not a good follow up to ALIENS IMO. I think they missed the mark big time. And....the subsequent movies after that don't even count in my mind.....to me they were just bad.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »

I think that's how most people feel, even most of those who are fans of the entire series as a whole.  The first two were SO good.  But after that...

And it's a shame too, because I think every single one that followed (3 and 4, as well as the two AvP movies) had some intriguing premises and could have been fantastic, but ultimately just ended up being very poorly executed because of poor storytelling, bad script writing, deviating too far from the source material and/or mood of the first two films, or other reasons.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »

I think that's how most people feel, even most of those who are fans of the entire series as a whole.  The first two were SO good.  But after that...

And it's a shame too, because I think every single one that followed (3 and 4, as well as the two AvP movies) had some intriguing premises and could have been fantastic, but ultimately just ended up being very poorly executed because of poor storytelling, bad script writing, deviating too far from the source material and/or mood of the first two films, or other reasons.
I agree with that.

I was so disappointed with the third one, I walked out of the theater in a daze.  I didn't even watch the fourth until years after its release, and it wasn't much better.

For that matter, the AVP movies could have been good, but I guess that was a preordained failure given the nature of the films.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »
For that matter, the AVP movies could have been good, but I guess that was a preordained failure given the nature of the films.

The first one was okay.  But I feel it went wrong in two respects:  (1) It felt too much like a video game at times, which set the wrong tone; and (2) I think the humans were used incorrectly.  On the latter point, rather than having the survivor become some warrior princess who fought along with the Predator, I think it would have been better done if the humans were just trying to fight to stay out of the way and fight to survive on their own.

The second one was a brilliantly terrifying premise that was fine until it:  (1) deviated too far from what Cameron had set up in Aliens as the xenomorph life cycle, and (2) went WAY too far in terms of shock value (aliens in the pregnancy ward in the hospital, for example).  And the predator that came did not have to come all the way from the home world, and did not have to be a "cleaner" to try to eliminate all evidence.  Relatively small tweaks could have made this a fantastic movie instead of the dreck that was foisted upon us.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
Unfortunately Fox has not been willing to invest big bucks to get excellent writers and directors for all the sequels. Such a shame; what could have been.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:22 AM »
Ridley Scott has told us that the next film in the Prometheus saga will be called Alien: Paradise Lost.

https://www.heyuguys.com/prometheus-2-title-ridley-scott-interview/

Even though I was not a fan of the first movie i'm still interested in Ridley Scott so i'm looking forward to what he will do with the next installation. With that being said i'm much much more interested in what Neill Blomkamp will do with Alien 5.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #331 on: September 25, 2015, 07:25:51 AM »
I'm interested in where Scott will go next with the Prometheus story, to see how the trajectory towards eventually joining the Alien story continues.

I'm curious what Blomkamp will do with Alien 5.  I'll check it out, of course, and it may even be the better film, but in different ways.  I like a well-crafted story (not that we necessarily got that with Prometheus) but I'm also a fan of good sci-fi concept and cool effects.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: September 25, 2015, 07:45:54 AM »
                                                                 ^------>Alien 5
                                                                  :
                                                                  :
Prometheus                        Alien - - - >Aliens - - - >Alien3 - - - >Alien Resurrection
       :                                  ^
       :                                  :
      \/---->Prometheus 2, 3 & 4

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #333 on: September 25, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
You forgot AVP and AVP:R ;D

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »
As someone who actually really liked Prometheus, I am excited for Paradise Lost!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
I liked Prometheus pretty much.  It was definitely cool getting more from that universe, from the guy who started it all.  And it had a good amount of weird "alien" stuff going on, but some of it felt almost like it was weird just to be weird and mess with you, not because it actually needed to be that way to serve the story.  Ultimately, for me, sci-fi is the melding of concept and story.  The premise is something beyond what we currently know, but extrapolated from known science; the story is how people deal with it, live their lives, face the challenges.  If you get enough of one part of the equation, you can get by with a little less of the other, but both need to be there.  Prometheus had a lot of expectations to live up to, and had the constraints of being set (somewhat) within a "known" universe.  I think that given all it had to do, it did quite well, but it wasn't a perfect movie.  Although to be fair, none are.

You forgot AVP and AVP:R ;D

I'm pretty sure those films don't actually exist.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2015, 09:24:14 AM »
The first AvP is alright. Fun movie. The second one is just so... B.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #338 on: September 25, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
I think it was kind of a cool idea to link the Alien and Predator "universes", but it needed to be done better, with more respect paid to each franchise.  Also, it seems that they sacrificed actual intelligent filmmaking in favor of cool effects and wow action scenes.  Both franchises to me are reasonable blends of sci-fi and action, in varying degrees, but the AVP movies just felt like an excuse to make action movies that just happened to feature creations from other movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:34 AM »
Yeah I don't mind the first AVP. I actually prefer it to Resurrection as it features a lot less of the tiresome " group of badasses act all badass and say fuck constantly because they're so badass ".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #340 on: September 25, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »
I think it was kind of a cool idea to link the Alien and Predator "universes", but it needed to be done better
It WAS done better, in comics, years before those disastrous films.

In fact, I'm not sure why they didn't just adapt the comics to make the films.  That would have turned out much better.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #341 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
Oh, I know this on! Because Hollywood.

Cool to know the title and I'm kinda like you, Hef in that I'm not a raging fan of the series but really enjoyed the horror/sci/fi aspect of the first couple movies...but my fandom putters out there. However, I really liked the return to form (for the most part) with Prometheus and am excited to see where the story goes with APL. I liked how the first movie ended with such mystery and it was exciting to imagine what kind of world she and Mr. Android were going to...so it'll be cool to finally see it realized.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »
It was directed by Paul WS Anderson.

His one and only decent movie was Event Horizon.

Everything else he's done has been shite.

Paul Thomas Anderson must LOVE being confused with him...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
It was directed by Paul WS Anderson.

His one and only decent movie was Event Horizon.

Everything else he's done has been shite.

Paul Thomas Anderson must LOVE being confused with him...
I also liked Event Horizon.  Creepy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
Ridley Scott says Paradise Lost will have a connection to Ripley. And that Fassbender won't just be a head for the whole movie " but something much better "...

Obviously he didn't say what.

Also confirmed Blomkamp's Alien 5 still going ahead with himself as producer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: September 25, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
Interesting.  I kind of thought that the direct connection with Alien in the new Prometheus sequel would bump the Blomkamp film.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
Nice! I was hoping Fassbender would have a prominent role, so it's good to know he's not going to be left by the wayside and/or just be that talking head (which I assumed he wouldn't if he was going to be in the film it all, but it's nice to know). It makes sense with an android that badass that he'd be able to integrate himself in some way with either another android or a computer of sorts, etc. I'm excited to see what happens with him.

Also...it blows my mind every time I think about it that the man that made the amazing Event Horizon movie now shoots his gross, sticky little load on ruining the Resident Evil name with his...what is it, like seventh film by now? It makes me cringe every damn time. This is coming from a huge fan of the RE games so I'm going to reign in my fingers now.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
I know that Blomkamp has said that the game Alien: Isolation inspired him alot. What that means for the actual movie I have no idea.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
..it blows my mind every time I think about it that the man that made the amazing Event Horizon movie now shoots his gross, sticky little load on ruining the Resident Evil name with his...what is it, like seventh film by now? It makes me cringe every damn time. This is coming from a huge fan of the RE games so I'm going to reign in my fingers now.  :lol

I've never played the Resident Evil games.  The movies seem kinda silly, and I've hard that they basically don't have a lot to do with the games, but I watched one at my buddy Doug's house and Milla Jovovich got like totally naked, so I grabbed the remote from Doug and said "How do you back up with this?" because there are like 300 buttons and it's dark in the "theater room" and he shows me, so I back it up to right before Milla gets naked, and then I said "Now how do you do slow-mo?" and he showed me, and he asked "What are you doing?" and I said "I just gotta check something, hang on" and we slow-moed through the scene and yeah, full frontal exposure there, which I actually didn't expect, and I said "Cool" and of course admired the artistry of the scene and all that, then I hit Play and tossed the remote back over to Doug, who said "What was that all about?" like fuck, Doug, do I have to spell it out for you?  But Doug -- he's a cop, by the way -- got injured in the line of duty a few years ago, and now he has actual brain damage, no shit, so I have to cut him some slack.  And he's a good guy and all, but he wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack before the accident, and now...

Anyway, I kinda like the Resident Evil movies.