Author Topic: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!  (Read 36283 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »
Awesome, 'm stoked that they are getting recognition from popular circles, and not just from "best instrumentalist" polls.  Couldn't be happier for the guys.   If they win, then both of my favorite prog bands would have won a grammy, go figure.(Yes won for best instrumental, Cinema)

Offline lithium112

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »
Wow! Awesome news for DT for sure!!! That's a pretty cool list. I may be a little biased but I really think DT should win though the competition is pretty solid. For some reason I have a feeling the Foo Fighters are gonna win though.

For the record (not too familiar) does "Performance" in the title of the award mean anything specific? Like live performance or video of said song? Or is it just basically the best song?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
Devin Townsend was robbed.

Offline Cordez

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 12:55:23 AM »
This is cool news, though I can't help but laugh at the overly excited people because if this was merely a hypothetical thread the typical reaction would be some variation of "lolgrammys".

No way, we would never be immature like that. :)

::)
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10088.0

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
I don't even remember making that thread... Well look like I know the answer to that question.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jsem

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 01:14:59 AM »
Curl of the Burl > OTBOA

But DT deserves some recognition. Should've happened back in 1992 or something, but better late than never.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »
I never cared about Grammy..... any kind of award for that matter....  Emmy, Oscar, and Tony.... doesn't mean much to me....
If DT gets the award, this won't show me anything but that the jury are finally getting open-minded and improving themselves music-taste-wise....

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
I never cared about Grammy..... any kind of award for that matter....  Emmy, Oscar, and Tony.... doesn't mean much to me....
If DT gets the award, this won't show me anything but that the jury are finally getting open-minded and improving themselves music-taste-wise....

Basically all of this although I was Louisiana's greatest grocery bagger in 2000 before choking in the national finals in Dallas (the Adam's Mark hotel is quite nice btw  :P ) so I've had somewhat of a positive experience with meaningless awards ceremonies. I'm just happy that something like this, in some very small way, will help DT be a tad less forgotten in the grand scheme of the last 20 years in mainstream American music.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 01:42:39 AM »
agreed!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 02:40:53 AM »
Curl of the Burl > OTBOA

lol no.

But it's pretty much guaranteed that Mastodon will win. It seems they have become the only acceptable/hip metal band these days.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:32 AM »
congrats fellas you deserve it i really hope you win it :hefdaddy
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:02 AM »
Holy fucking shit! Im gonna cry!

lol itll be ok dude lol lol

Im still crying btw! This is just to much excitement! Congrats DT!
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 04:59:26 AM »
Fantastic news.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 05:41:49 AM »
Devin Townsend was robbed.
The Mighty Masturbator would have gone down well at the Grammys.

Besides hope DT win.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
"Hey MM, we just got nominated for a Grammy!"

Blob, ftw.
 :lol

Anyhow, this is terrific news. I wonder how Mikey is feeling right about now?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 06:03:22 AM »
Awesome news!

Is this the first grammy nomination for DT?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 06:05:18 AM »
Like others said, I don't care about the grammys but still congrats to DT! Awesome to see some prog metal in the limelight! (pun intended :D)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2011, 06:14:02 AM »
Like others said, I don't care about the grammys but still congrats to DT! Awesome to see some prog metal in the limelight! (pun intended :D)
I think we all agree the grammy's are shit, but its awesome to see a great band recognized. If more of them were, then maybe the grammy's wouldn't be shit. :tick2:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:13 AM »
This is great for DT's name brand recognition.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »
Awesome news!

Is this the first grammy nomination for DT?

DT at the top of their game!

I'm wondering if this is their first also . . . .

Offline jsem

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Holy fucking shit! Im gonna cry!

lol itll be ok dude lol lol

Im still crying btw! This is just to much excitement! Congrats DT!
Crying? Maybe you're taking things a bit too far here....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »
Very nice news, I think that only Foo fighters and Megadeth can compete with Dream Theater. I hope they win, and I hope they appear at the event. Congratulations, guys.  :tup

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:09 AM »
Very nice news, I think that only Foo fighters and Megadeth can compete with Dream Theater. I hope they win, and I hope they appear at the event. Congratulations, guys.  :tup
Dream Theater won't win because in the end its always a popularity contest, but its great they were recognized!

Offline Lotion

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2011, 07:35:28 AM »
I'm really happy for the guys!

But I'm not sure if they stand a chance against the other bands.
Mastadon and Foo Fighters seems like bands that are more "hip". Those bands get played everday on a Norwegian radio channel called NRK P3, as the only rock/metal bands. In the same radio show they play everything from the mainstream world like Lady Gaga and Rihanna, and hipster music like Florence+ the machines, the kooks etc. I've never in my life heard DT on the radio. Also, both bands have been playing those songs on letterman.

But watching the views on youtube, the official releases of OTBOA got 2,2million and 600k views, while the most viewed video of curl of the burl is 360k. White Limo by Foo Fighters has two official videos with 2,8million and 700k views. Most viewed video by Sum 41's song is 290k and Megadeth's Public Enemy no.1 got 300k, they've also been nominated 9 times without winning!

Sorry for the messy post, just sharing some information about the popularity of the songs, which really doesn't matter! :P

Well, I hope DT gets this award, how cool wouldn't it be to see John Petrucci getting on that stage on live television?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »
Congratulations to Dream Theater for being nominated!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:57 AM »
For the record (not too familiar) does "Performance" in the title of the award mean anything specific? Like live performance or video of said song? Or is it just basically the best song?

It's confusing, but I think I've figured it out.  They Grammys have awards for Best "Song", "Record", "Album", and "Performance".  As I understand it:

Best Song = Best written song.  The award goes to the songwriter, and is supposed to not take the actual performance of the song into account

Best Record = Best song, as recorded.  This award goes to the performer (and producer, recording engineer, and mixer).

Best Album = Same as Best Record, except it's for entire albums instead of individual songs.

Best Performance = Best Recorded Performance.  Award goes to the performer.  It can be for either a song or an album, but it seems like it's almost always for songs, except maybe in the Classical field.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »
I'm really happy for the guys!

But I'm not sure if they stand a chance against the other bands.

You're probably right, but, sometimes the Grammys rise above simple popularity contests.  Arcade Fire won album of the year last year, despite being up against much more popular acts. 

Well, I hope DT gets this award, how cool wouldn't it be to see John Petrucci getting on that stage on live television?

Very cool, although it seems like The Grammys have gone to a format of mostly performances and don't show all the awards being given out.  So, I'm not sure if Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Performance is one of the awards we will actually see presented on television.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »
Very cool, although it seems like The Grammys have gone to a format of mostly performances and don't show all the awards being given out.  So, I'm not sure if Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Performance is one of the awards we will actually see presented on television.

Oh, I didn't know that. I'm from Norway, so I've never bothered watching those things, as well as I don't like most of the music presented.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
By the way - Mastadon SUCKS.  Not their music (although I don't like their music, either), but them as people.  Someone posted on my Facebook wall an interview in which they totally ragged on DT, saying that DT's clothes are "gay" and that they have a "little Chinese girl playing bass."  That band is a bunch of losers.  Even if DT weren't nominated, I'd want them to lose. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Lotion

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
By the way - Mastadon SUCKS.  Not their music (although I don't like their music, either), but them as people.  Someone posted on my Facebook wall an interview in which they totally ragged on DT, saying that DT's clothes are "gay" and that they have a "little Chinese girl playing bass."  That band is a bunch of losers.  Even if DT weren't nominated, I'd want them to lose.

I really dislike Mastodon's music, I've seen the three times. They warmed up for both metallica and maiden, so I had to sit through. Then I gave them a third chance at the Roskilde Festival, where they were headlining. In my ears, it's horrible. If not DT, I really hope for Foo Fighters

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
Congrats to DT!  I consider "On the Backs of Angels" about the fourth best song on the album, so it's slightly weird to see it nominated.  But still awesome, of course!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:46 AM »
Congrats to DT!  I consider "On the Backs of Angels" about the fourth best song on the album, so it's slightly weird to see it nominated.  But still awesome, of course!

Since it's more about popularity, it makes sense that the song chosen is the single, which is what has the exposure, and the music video. I'm not sure if there's any requirement that it's released as a single, or has a music video, but it makes sense even though I agree it's not the strongest song on the album.
You know what else makes it weird to see nominated? That it's an almost 9 minute song, that is unedited for the music video.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »

It's confusing, but I think I've figured it out.  They Grammys have awards for Best "Song", "Record", "Album", and "Performance".  As I understand it:

Best Song = Best written song.  The award goes to the songwriter, and is supposed to not take the actual performance of the song into account

Best Record = Best song, as recorded.  This award goes to the performer (and producer, recording engineer, and mixer).

Best Album = Same as Best Record, except it's for entire albums instead of individual songs.

Best Performance = Best Recorded Performance.  Award goes to the performer.  It can be for either a song or an album, but it seems like it's almost always for songs, except maybe in the Classical field.

Cool! Thanks for the explanation!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
From what I've read, the Grammy Awards is on February 12th and Dream Theater will be playing in Esch-sur-Alzette, LUX that day. If they win, I wonder who will be there to accept the award.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies