Author Topic: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!  (Read 36294 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
I thought they only played the song if they already won or something. I don't know, I've never watched the Grammy's.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »
I thought they only played the song if they already won or something. I don't know, I've never watched the Grammy's.
Nope. As alluded to earlier, Metallica lost to Jethro Tull for the "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental" in 1989. And they were one of the performers that night.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
The Jethro Tull song came out way earlier right? Like 10 or 15 years? Can't remember the details. That page was ripped out of my mental encyclopedia.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
No, it was for the Tull album Crest of a Knave, which was released in late '87 and IS a good album. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
Oh, lol I was way off.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Hmmm why would DT move their tour dates just to attend the grammy's? Especially when there's very little chance they will win. I think it very possible they're gonna perform!

Offline elizaalltiedup

« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
Hmmm why would DT move their tour dates just to attend the grammy's? Especially when there's very little chance they will win. I think it very possible they're gonna perform!

Just being nominated seems to mean a lot to them, since they've never been before. Personally, if I was in their position, I'd want to rearrange my schedule so I could attend, even if I knew I wasn't going to win, just for the sake of being there as a nominee.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »
They are NOT going to perform. That is 100% certain.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
They are NOT going to perform. That is 100% certain.

WE WANT INFORMATION
INFORMATION
INFORMATION!

WHO ARE YOU?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
He's the seoafs, and he's 100% certain.  Come on, pay attention!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »
Supposed to be read "these oafs"; it's funny to me that you went the other way.

But, yes, my knowledge isn't based on any Prisoner-style information, but it's just common sense to me. This is DT's first nomination. DT isn't a popular band among the Grammys' attenders. DT doesn't have any easily digestible short songs (that are truly DT in style, anyway), and it's mostly sugar-coated pop bands and the more popular rock bands that are invited to play anyway. Bands usually have their concert schedules determined several months in advance, and I sincerely doubt DT wouldn't already know about it if the folks at the Grammys were planning to invite DT to play.

What I mean to say when I express my 100% certainty is that it just doesn't make any sense for them to be performing. It is not a strange thing that DT are attending just because they were nominated, as suggested above.

Instead of saying "It is 100% certain that DT will not play", I should say "If DT performs at the Grammys, I will take a video of myself eating my underwear and wire the contents of my bank account to Hef".

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »

But, yes, my knowledge isn't based on any Prisoner-style information, but it's just common sense to me. This is DT's first nomination. DT isn't a popular band among the Grammys' attenders. DT doesn't have any easily digestible short songs (that are truly DT in style, anyway), and it's mostly sugar-coated pop bands and the more popular rock bands that are invited to play anyway. Bands usually have their concert schedules determined several months in advance, and I sincerely doubt DT wouldn't already know about it if the folks at the Grammys were planning to invite DT to play.

What I mean to say when I express my 100% certainty is that it just doesn't make any sense for them to be performing. It is not a strange thing that DT are attending just because they were nominated, as suggested above.

Instead of saying "It is 100% certain that DT will not play", I should say "If DT performs at the Grammys, I will take a video of myself eating my underwear and wire the contents of my bank account to Hef".

Hef said he wasn't interested, and to wire it to me instead.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

I read it as "the seoafs" for a long time, figuring that a seaof is just something I'd never heard of, and I shouldn't worry about it.  At some point I parsed it again and got "these oafs", but I figured I'd take a jab at you and your 100% certainty just for the hell of it.   Mostly to get a reaction and explanation from you (which worked - ha!) just in case you actually know somebody in the biz and that's why you were 100% certain.  We do have people around here who personally know members of DT, Rush, etc.

I agree that it doesn't make any sense that they'd be asked to play, but I don't know jack about what's popular.  Last year Arcade Fire both played and won, and I'd never heard of them, but I just figured they were some band I'd never heard of.  Turns out that more than a few people went "Who?" but again, I wouldn't know.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
Well, some people never heard of arsenic either.  They thumbed their nose at the "arsenic cocktails" handed to them at the party that fateful night, and drank deeply, thinking, "eh, it's nothing I've ever heard of, so why worry about it?"  Sadly, that was one of the last thoughts they had.  Beware the Seoaf!  Bewaaaaaaaare!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Well, some people never heard of arsenic either.  They thumbed their nose at the "arsenic cocktails" handed to them at the party that fateful night, and drank deeply, thinking, "eh, it's nothing I've ever heard of, so why worry about it?"  Sadly, that was one of the last thoughts they had.  Beware the Seoaf!  Bewaaaaaaaare!
Yeah, man, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »

Come on!  Arsenic can't be bad for you.  It's 100% Natural!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
*hopes for a wired bank account*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »
*hopes for a wired bank account*
At this point, it's up to DT.

However, this thought did occur to me today. Anyone who wants to determine the likelihood of DT playing at the Grammys can do so very easily with a bit of detective work (though I'm not going to do it myself because I'm already certain they're not going to play).

If DT were invited to play at the Grammys just now (which is, again, not a likelihood in my view), it's likely they were asked to play at the same time that a bunch of other bands were asked to play. Let's assume that this is the case. With that assumption in place, we also assume that this year is not an anomaly, and that invitations to play at the Grammys are usually given at this time of year. So, bands -- who, once again, determine their concert schedules several months in advance -- who are invited should be cancelling February shows in December as well.

SO: If someone found a few examples of bands that A) played at the Grammys in the last couple years, B) were supposed to be on tour that winter, and C) cancelled the shows on or around the date of the Grammys in the preceding December, this would be evidence for DT's playing at the Grammys (though not proof of it). Meanwhile, if no examples of this are able to be found, we can assume that our initial premise -- that bands are usually invited to play at the Grammys in December -- was faulty, that bands are usually given enough advance notice to schedule their tours when they play the Grammys, and that DT are genuinely just there to attend the ceremony as nominees.

If someone wants to take that train of thought somewhere and dig up some articles, we'd have some more convincing evidence, but, again, I sincerely doubt they'll be playing. It's just a ridiculous thought to me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2011, 02:14:08 AM »
If by some snowballs chance in hell they do play, where and how would they cut the song, they obviously couldn't play all 8+ minutes of it, that would lose half the viewership.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2011, 02:17:09 AM »
Well... first off all they could cut some of the final repeated chorus that never seems to end
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2011, 02:30:16 AM »
AAAAAAAA Riiiiitte of Passsaaaagggee.

Oh wait, it's the other single.

I'd love them to perform, but on the other hand I'd just love them to just sit there as well. Looking badass, watching Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber perform, and just smirking and glancing to each other.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2011, 04:24:58 AM »
If they perform (which I agree is unlikely), I would imagine it would be the entire song.  The whole song is nominated, not an edited version.  It's a long broadcast, there will be room.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »
I suspect they are going for the event of it all and maybe to schmooze a bit with other musicians, perhaps ones they haven't met before, as well as music critics and others in the industry.  It's never a bad thing to make yourself known to more people in the industry.  :tup :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »

Not to mention that they have a fuckton of gear to haul in there.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
Some people have their heads in the clouds. It's unfortunate, but the idea of a progressive metal band playing a song (let alone a full 8-minute song like some have suggested) is ludicrous. It would never happen. Some people must not be familiar with what the Grammys actually are.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
Jethro Tull
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
I will kill myself if they perform at the Grammys.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
They would probably perform BMUMBD because it's shorter and radio friendly.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
I will kill myself if they perform at the Grammys.
A commitment far more interesting than mine, I think.

Offline Millais

« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »
I don't want to take this off topic:

but as the reply below says, this makes me happy.  :)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
thanks for letting us know how many responded michael.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2011, 12:10:44 AM »
He didn't need to mention how many responded, because it's completely irrelevant at this stage. I think a public congratulations from the start (without any backhanded additions) would have done wonders.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »
@MP :facepalm:  :facepalm:

But I can't imagine how awesome it'd be if DT got to perform. I don't see it happening, but it'd be so great.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
He didn't need to mention how many responded, because it's completely irrelevant at this stage.
I'm sure that if he only said that he congratulated them personally everybody would say "AND DID THEY RESPOND YOU? WHAT HAPPENED?" and stuff like that, so it would very much be the same.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2011, 01:33:15 AM »
He didn't need to mention how many responded, because it's completely irrelevant at this stage.
I'm sure that if he only said that he congratulated them personally everybody would say "AND DID THEY RESPOND YOU? WHAT HAPPENED?" and stuff like that, so it would very much be the same.

Which is why I think a simple public congratulations without any subtext or extra commentary would have been the better move, if it was sincere.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.