Author Topic: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!  (Read 36274 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
I'm trying to remember the last time they had any bands from this category on the television broadcast of the Grammys.....was it Metallica maybe?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »
It might not have been a year where they were nominated under that category, but I can totally see Foo Fighters being a band that would get asked to play at the Grammys.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »
The Foos probably will play. They are huge.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »
It might not have been a year where they were nominated under that category, but I can totally see Foo Fighters being a band that would get asked to play at the Grammys.

That would be the most likely band to perform....and win. I rarely ever watch the Grammy's, can't remember the last time I did...but I'm sure I heard that they've performed on the Grammy's before.
  It's unfortunate for DT and the other bands that the Foo Fighters are nominated in that category because they'll most likely win it due to their popularity. Not that they suck or anything...I like 90% of thier songs. But the issue I think that most of us have with the Grammy's is that it's pretty much like the 'Golden Glove' awards in baseball.....the people/bands who actually deserve the award are rarely even recoginized and when they are they don't win.
  Still think it'd be freakin' awesome if DT won that.....it'd be incredible. I hope that the Grammy's are filmed on a different night to give the guys a chance to be there in person.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TL

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
Congrats to DT.

At first, I assumed that the Foo Fighters would definitely win, but then I went to the actual page and saw that the Foo Fighters are also up for Best Rock Performance for 'Walk'. So, the Foos could win in that category, and factoring them out, DT has a legitimate shot.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
I'm trying to remember the last time they had any bands from this category on the television broadcast of the Grammys.....was it Metallica maybe?
System of a Down won it a few years back for BYOB. I'm pretty sure that was broadcasted.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
I'm just glad Jethro Tull wasn't nominated this year.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »
And incidentally, this is the first time that the "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance" award has existed since Jethro Tull won...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2011, 05:37:33 AM »
I'm just glad Jethro Tull wasn't nominated this year.
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mentalny

• Croatia DT fan
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2011, 06:35:11 AM »
Congrats!
Let the light surround you !

Offline Vajra

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2011, 09:11:02 AM »
I have a feeling that if DT wasn't nominated many would just be sayings things like "Pfft Grammys are a joke anyway, DT doesn't need them"

But since they were nominated....

(just imo)

Congratulations to DT anyway.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:37:41 AM by Vajra »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
Ironic, I have a feeling that if DT wasn't nominated you would all just be sayings things like "Pfft Grammys are a joke anyway, DT doesn't need them"

(just imo)

And nobody has said otherwise to that statement. Despite how little people think of the Grammys, and the fact DT obviously don't need them (proven by their continued success for over 20 years without their recognition), we're still happy for DT getting noticed by a mainstream awards show, and getting some deserved exposure.
I'm happy for them because it's a nice thing to happen for them in their career, not because I think highly of the award itself or because it matters at all. I think people have chosen to focus on the positive aspects of this, rather than their opinion of the Grammys itself.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
If DT wins the grammy... Well, let's just say I'll probably yell loud enough for the neighbors to hear.  :hefdaddy
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »
Ironic, I have a feeling that if DT wasn't nominated you would all just be sayings things like "Pfft Grammys are a joke anyway, DT doesn't need them"

(just imo)

THIS^   exactly how I feel about this recognition.  And if the guys are genuinely excited about it, then that is enough for me.  Great job DT!

And nobody has said otherwise to that statement. Despite how little people think of the Grammys, and the fact DT obviously don't need them (proven by their continued success for over 20 years without their recognition), we're still happy for DT getting noticed by a mainstream awards show, and getting some deserved exposure.
I'm happy for them because it's a nice thing to happen for them in their career, not because I think highly of the award itself or because it matters at all. I think people have chosen to focus on the positive aspects of this, rather than their opinion of the Grammys itself.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2011, 02:24:44 AM »
Next addition to Zepp's collection: DT's grammy?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
To the people saying this:

"If DT weren't nominated, you'd be calling the Grammys crap."

Guess what?  YOU'RE RIGHT.  And, do you want to know why?  Let's actually use our brains for a moment.  DT has been around since 1989.  Okay, their first real single was Pull Me Under, so we'll say 1992, just for the sake of argument.  That's almost twenty years.  Images & Words is a GROUNDBREAKING MASTERPIECE.  Then, there was Awake.  Another masterpiece.  Then, there was A Change of Seasons, then SFAM, two more masterpieces.  Any Grammy nominations there?  Hmmmmm?  Oh, right - NO.  No, there weren't. 

It took nearly TWENTY YEARS for the Grammy folks to even take notice of a band that has written some of the most amazing music of the past quarter century and, for a while, it didn't look like they were ever going to be nominated for anything.  No one would have ever thought in a million years that they'd be nominated for a Grammy. 

So, my point is this: yeah, it might seem "hypocritical" to be excited that they're nominated when most of us bashed the Grammys before.  But, like I said, the Grammys have been a JOKE for the past ten-twenty years.  Why WOULDN'T we have bashed them?  Plus, maybe some of us still think they're a joke, but are just happy DT is getting SOME exposure.  Ever think of that? 

Oh, and they haven't won yet. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
If it's announced live the Foo Fighters will be the winner, you just watch. Also is this the first Grammy nomination for DT?
Thanks,
Dave

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »
I'm not intentionally picking on any specific person with this, but I think it's extremely humorous how everyone says things like:

They'll never be nominated because the Grammys are just a pop music circle jerk.
I'm all for DT getting more publicity and reaching a higher echelon of success, but I'd rather it be in a more dignified way.
Source

Grammys are garbage.
Source

DT could be nominated for a sound award like Porcupine Tree, but it's very unlikely they'll win one of the big awards.

Except that DT's stuff never "sounds" even close to as good as PT's does. :p

But yeah, the Grammys blow.  I am pretty sure most knowledgeable music fans know this.
Source

What's wrong with the Grammys? Is it just something cool for prog snobs to hate?

Not.  It's something shitty that everyone should hate.
Source

Honestly, I couldn't care less about DT winning a Grammy or getting nominated for it.
Source

Grammys are garbage.

This.  There's no way that DT could suck bad enough to win a grammy.  :lol
Source

The people who are involved with the Grammys are totally clueless, and always have been. Nothing but rap and crap.
Source

BEFORE Dream Theater gets nominated, then, once Dream Theater gets nominated, well, see:  This Thread  :lol

Wow, nice job in uncovering people's lies, Dr. House!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

Guess what?  YOU'RE RIGHT.
Even if DT wins, I'll still be calling the Grammy Awards crap. They are demonstrably worthless as awards themselves, except in terms of giving a band exposure which isn't really about the award.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »

Guess what?  YOU'RE RIGHT.  And, do you want to know why?  Let's actually use our brains for a moment.  DT has been around since 1989.  Okay, their first real single was Pull Me Under, so we'll say 1992, just for the sake of argument.  That's almost twenty years.  Images & Words is a GROUNDBREAKING MASTERPIECE.  Then, there was Awake.  Another masterpiece.  Then, there was A Change of Seasons, then SFAM, two more masterpieces.  Any Grammy nominations there?  Hmmmmm?  Oh, right - NO.  No, there weren't. 

It took nearly TWENTY YEARS for the Grammy folks to even take notice of a band that has written some of the most amazing music of the past quarter century and, for a while, it didn't look like they were ever going to be nominated for anything.  No one would have ever thought in a million years that they'd be nominated for a Grammy. 

So, my point is this: yeah, it might seem "hypocritical" to be excited that they're nominated when most of us bashed the Grammys before.  But, like I said, the Grammys have been a JOKE for the past ten-twenty years.  Why WOULDN'T we have bashed them?  Plus, maybe some of us still think they're a joke, but are just happy DT is getting SOME exposure.  Ever think of that? 

LOLOL

Just because you like DT that much (which isn't wrong) doesn't mean every major award ceremony should share your sentiments. Prog (metal/rock) isn't the type of thing that gets recognized there much. Real talk.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2011, 07:24:12 PM »
I have a feeling that if DT wasn't nominated many would just be sayings things like "Pfft Grammys are a joke anyway, DT doesn't need them"

Kind of like PT last year an hour before the show it was like: YEAH, Grammy Awards! and then they didn't win and it was like: Who the hell cares about the Grammy Awards?

But anyway, it's obviously a sign that there is always something new out there to achieve even if it wasn't really a goal.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
Concerning not liking the Grammy's.....then all of a sudden liking them because DT has been nominated:

the reason I am happy has really everything to do with how psyched the DT guys are and what it appears to mean to them. I don't think it's a big secret how the majority of 'us' view the Grammy's....and rightfully so. IMO it rewards mediocre music and popularity and not the actualy 'best' but hey that's just the way it is, Oh well. BUT...the fact that DT has finally been publicly recognized by the 'mainstream' in the music industry is AWESOME and DESERVED IMO. I feel I can still hold my opinion about the Grammy's and be happy/excited for DT and the gang without being overly hypocritical.
  I hope they win...I really do.....If they don't......then the Grammy's  :censored suck!!!!!   :biggrin:

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
I'm just proud of DT for being nominated for a Grammy without having to sell out. And I'm SUPER proud of JP, because he wrote the damn song. Good for JP. :)
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
Will this award actually be handed out during the televised broadcast?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TL

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
Will this award actually be handed out during the televised broadcast?
Very, very unlikely. The announcement of the winner will pop up as a little text thing at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds when going to or coming back from commercial. After all, they need to save time for all that wonderful scripted banter.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
Yeah, only the "important" awards actually get shown on the broadcast.  The rest is performances, commercials, and plenty of that witty banter.

Offline emtee

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
If Mike could find it in his heart to publicly wish the band well we would know he is truly past everything and the
healing could officially begin.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
If Mike could find it in his heart to publicly wish the band well we would know he is truly past everything and the

He'd still find the way to include the word *I* somewhere in his sentence.

"I wish the best for the band *I* produced for over 25 years...

...Believe Me"
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
Someone should photshop a Demotivational poster, using DT, a Grammy - and that meme....SOON.

Just sayin
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »

He'd still find the way to include the word *I* somewhere in his sentence.

"I wish the best for the band *I* produced for over 25 years...

...Believe Me"

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Best Grammy moment ever:

Danny: "I'd like to thank my parents for putting up with the cacophony I created for 15 or 20 years, Bientje, and Satan."

Justin: "I want to thank Alex Grey for doing our artwork and my mom for doing my dad."

:lol:

Congrats DT! I haven't watched the grammy's in a very long time.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »
My favorite Grammy moment was---

In accepting Soundgarden's "Best Metal Performance" award
Chris Cornell: We're not gonna leave the stage tonight until you tell us we're Heavy Metal. :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
DT changed their concert scheduled so they could attend the Grammys.  If I lived in California, I'd so hunt down a ticket to go and support them.  Anyone on the westcoast gonna go?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »
DT changed their concert scheduled so they could attend the Grammys. 

My dream / hope / wish:
  DT gets to play 'OTBOA' live at the Grammy's for all the viewing world to see thier greatness then wins the Grammy....

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
DT changed their concert scheduled so they could attend the Grammys. 

My dream / hope / wish:
  DT gets to play 'OTBOA' live at the Grammy's for all the viewing world to see thier greatness then wins the Grammy....

While you're dreaming, you might as well add "win lottery on same day".