Author Topic: First Michael Jackson, now THIS? WTF  (Read 11043 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: First Michael Jackson, now THIS? WTF
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »
But you can't deny that it would squash any chance of a bit of publicity for the band.

THAT IS EXACTLY THE FUCKING POINT. 

Why has it only been you and maybe one or two other people who understand this point?
I don't know, man. It's a pretty simple message to understand from the OP.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »
I guess. I'm just not thinking they'd be getting much publicity anyways. I mean, the award is only even being aired online :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
I guess. I'm just not thinking they'd be getting much publicity anyways. I mean, the award is only even being aired online :lol
Even if they win, it's going to get a lot of people's attention. Mostly for the "Who the fuck are these guys?" factor.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
Okay, so basically - since last night when I made my original post:

1)  now Whitney Houston IS going to be a big part of the Grammys, as evidenced by the cancellations of scheduled performers.

2)  DT winning a Grammy DOES matter and they DO care about it because it IS important for their career. 

OK.  Now, I'll accept apologies from all the people who posted those ultra-clever (i.e. LAME and redundant) pictures with dumb phrases on them.  Just PM the apologies to me if you're too embarrassed to say it here.  I won't say anything..... I promise. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Nevermind, you, "really.....dude"-ed me earlier in the thread.  Maybe you're coming around now?
That was actually a joke.  :heart

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »

No, it wasn't.  LOL 

But, that's okay.  Hearts are always good.  :) 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »

No, it wasn't.  LOL 

But, that's okay.  Hearts are always good.  :)
It actually was.  :yeahright

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
Okay, so basically - since last night when I made my original post:

1)  now Whitney Houston IS going to be a big part of the Grammys, as evidenced by the cancellations of scheduled performers.

2)  DT winning a Grammy DOES matter and they DO care about it because it IS important for their career. 

OK.  Now, I'll accept apologies from all the people who posted those ultra-clever (i.e. LAME and redundant) pictures with dumb phrases on them.  Just PM the apologies to me if you're too embarrassed to say it here.  I won't say anything..... I promise.
Foo Fighters and Bruce Springsteen aren't cancelled are they? :C

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Yeah, but they aren't such drama queens that they're thinking to themselves "man, I wish Whitney Houston weren't so selfish as to die right now. If she were alive, everybody would be paying attention to Dream Theater!"

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »

Oh.  Sry

No, but they should be.  I'd rather see them put Whitney Houston up there..... dead.... than either of those two. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »

Oh.  Sry

No, but they should be.  I'd rather see them put Whitney Houston up there..... dead.... than either of those two.
Foo Fighters and Bruce Springsteen are awesome, hush you.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
:neverusethis:

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
Yeah, but they aren't such drama queens that they're thinking to themselves "man, I wish Whitney Houston weren't so selfish as to die right now. If she were alive, everybody would be paying attention to Dream Theater!"

That, what you just did, is called:  "melodramatizing someone's post."  In other words, that's not what I said DT should feel like or are feeling like.  What I SAID was that it must be a bummer to go into such a huge night for them knowing that Whitney Houston's death is the big thing on everyone's mind.  Nowhere did I say, "EVERYONE WOULD BE APATEINON GAATTENTION TO DREAM THERAREYI HARAUYU11!!!" 

So, really - stop putting words in my mouth.  It's annoying and I don't appreciate it. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »
Okay, quick.

Name the winner of the best hard rock/metal Grammy from the last five years. Without going to Wiki or Google.

Yeah, thought so.

The only thing most people know about that award? LOL Metallica lost to Jethro Tull. If THAT.

There's no huge boost from winning this award. No publicity worth mentioning past a Roadrunner press release. And even if there was, suggesting that someone's death is less important is beyond silly.

And no, I won't be apologizing in any way, shape or form. Even THINKING this, much less posting it, was stupid.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »

That, what you just did, is called:  "melodramatizing someone's post."  In other words, that's not what I said DT should feel like or are feeling like.  What I SAID was that it must be a bummer to go into such a huge night for them knowing that Whitney Houston's death is the big thing on everyone's mind.  Nowhere did I say, "EVERYONE WOULD BE APATEINON GAATTENTION TO DREAM THERAREYI HARAUYU11!!!" 

So, really - stop putting words in my mouth.  It's annoying and I don't appreciate it.
What you said was "Even if DT does win the Grammy - will anyone really care?", which is far closer to "EVERYONE WOULD BE APATEINON GAATTENTION TO DREAM THERAREYI HARAUYU11!!!" than to "it must be a bummer to go into such a huge night for them knowing that Whitney Houston's death is the big thing on everyone's mind" (not that the latter is a heck of a lot better, anyway; this is really just a bad thread).

EDIT: The facts are:
1) This award does not matter. It's a very unimportant award and DT would not get a significant boost by winning it.
2) Even if DT did get a boost by winning it, Whitney Houston's death wouldn't have affected the outcome of the award anyway.
3) DT didn't have a performance that was bumped due to the Houston tribute.

DT was doomed to go into the ceremony as unknowns and walk out as unknowns. They knew this, expected this, and are okay with it; DT's discography would look very different if what was important to them was commercial success. Whitney Houston does not matter, and DT is not concerned about what might have been had Whitney Houston not died, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:39:06 PM by theseoafs »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
I see the OP point but I don't think Michael Jackson is comparable. Is Whitney Houston is famous for anything other than that awful song from The Bodyguard? then she was famous for crack and being beat up by husband so she became a tabloid character.

So, what did Michael Jackson get famous for other than his singing?  (Don't tell me that he didn't become a tabloid character...)

IMHO Whitneys voice > Michaels voice. Check her back catalogue.

Really? Okay it's your HO as you said :)
I can't check her back catalog cause R'n'B inflects severe testicular pain on me.
Music aside; Michael Jackson was a legendary dancer with a very special talent for that and his music videos were usually creative and broke several creative boundaries, set aside the fact that he's the best selling recording artist of all time and even though the latter is not really a testament for his superiority but the fact that there's no spot on this planet where you'll find people who wouldn't recognize Michael Jackson's songs or at the very least recognize his appearance and his unique persona, the goods and the bads of it.
I remember Jackson's death rocking the foundation of the internet. I just looked it up now and

"Michael Jackson passed away today at the age of 50."The Los Angeles Times website confirmed the report at 2:51 pm PDT (5:51 pm EDT). The news spread quickly online, causing websites to slow down and crash from user overload. Both TMZ and the Los Angeles Times suffered outages. Google initially believed that the input from millions of people searching for "Michael Jackson" meant that the search engine was under attack. Twitter reported a crash, as did Wikipedia at 3:15 pm The Wikimedia Foundation reported nearly a million visitors to Jackson's biography within one hour, probably the most visitors in a one-hour period to any article in Wikipedia's history. AOL Instant Messenger went down for 40 minutes. AOL called it a "seminal moment in Internet history", adding, "We've never seen anything like it in terms of scope or depth."

From Wiki.
Now I don't think this ^ is gonna ever happen again unless there's an actual alien invasion.
I'm sorry if I seemed disrespectful to Whitney Houston in my first post and this post is not meant to undermine it either but I'm just pointing out the comparison -in regards to the OP- seemed off balance.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
Name the winner of the best hard rock/metal Grammy from the last five years. Without going to Wiki or Google.

You know what?  I just looked it up because I didn't know.  And, guess what?  The last three were: 

Metallica (2009)
Judas Priest (2010)
Iron Maiden (2011)

So, you're right!  METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST AND MAIDEN DIDN'T GET A FRIGGING BOOST!  Gee, I wonder why?  Maybe because.... well..... I don't know..... they were..... ALREADY METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST AND IRON MAIDEN?  We're talking about Dream Theater here.  Sorry, but saying DT wouldn't get a boost from winning a Grammy is RETARDED.  Even the band would disagree with you.  Why are they taking time out of their EUROPEAN TOUR to attend the Grammys if what you're saying is true?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

You know what?  I just looked it up because I didn't know.  And, guess what?  The last three were: 

Metallica (2009)
Judas Priest (2010)
Iron Maiden (2011)

So, you're right!  METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST AND MAIDEN DIDN'T GET A FRIGGING BOOST!  Gee, I wonder why?  Maybe because.... well..... I don't know..... they were..... ALREADY METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST AND IRON MAIDEN?  We're talking about Dream Theater here.  Sorry, but saying DT wouldn't get a boost from winning a Grammy is RETARDED.  Even the band would disagree with you.  Why are they taking time out of their EUROPEAN TOUR to attend the Grammys if what you're saying is true?
Great point.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
Holy crap, dude.

Offline Millais

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
If I'm completely honest, all I see is a few disappointed fans. :chill guys.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »
The DT side of this forum was cool before Whitney Houston died.

That was odd to type.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:20 PM »
The DT side of this forum was cool before Whitney Houston died.

That was odd to type.
:lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
If I'm completely honest, all I see is a few disappointed fans. :chill guys.
DON'T TELL ME TO CHILL OUT. Thanks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
Maybe The Count Of Tuscany put a curse on Petrucci where if they ever reached a certain point of success, people die. Of course, Petrucci would leave that part out of the story, and change it to a happy ending.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »

Metallica (2009)
Judas Priest (2010)
Iron Maiden (2011)

And the two years before that were Slayer.  But even though they were already super popular bands, their Grammy wins didn't mean shit for them.  It didn't make everybody go "hmmmm guess I'd better go buy the Final Frontier and World Painted Blood now" because the Grammys just aren't meant for that kind of audience. 

Maybe hard rock/metal categories aren't a good place to look, since they're usually the old guard of metal who need to win something so their past contributions to music are noticed.  Lets look at Album of the Year.  Arcade Fire won last year, a band who was very popular in certain niche markets and got lucky when "Wake Up" started to be used in a bunch of little things a few years back.  Did their winning best album last year boost their popularity at all?  Probably not.  All they have now is an extra three words to anything they do now: "Grammy winning group."  DT would be the same way, I think.  No real popularity boost outside of their niche, just those extra words. 

But for serious SnakeEyes, calm the fuck down about this kind of stuff.  You always seem so agitated about stuff like this.  So what if Whitney died?  Even if DT won and she hadn't died, people wouldn't care enough to check them out and boost their popularity.  In fact there'd probably just be a bunch of people raging, much in the way you are now, about how the Foo Fighters got robbed, asking what a Dream Theater was.  :P 

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2012, 12:13:58 AM »
So, anyone think it's possible that Whitney died to actually help the Foo Fighters? Seems plausible to me. Also makes sense a song named "White Limo" wins - nobody associates this with a black artist.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:27 AM »
I think the only boost from winning a Grammy would be that promotoers who otherwise might take a pass on them might now take a chance, and some 11 or 12 year old kid can use it as a bargaining chip to talk their parents into letting him buy a Dream Theater album.
But truthfully, the nomination probably gets them all that as well. They really won just by being nominated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
The fact that Slayer won a grammy should tell everyone how worthless the grammy's are.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
So, anyone think it's possible that Whitney died to actually help the Foo Fighters? Seems plausible to me. Also makes sense a song named "White Limo" wins - nobody associates this with a black artist.

wat
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
This thread hurts my brain.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »

Metallica (2009)
Judas Priest (2010)
Iron Maiden (2011)

So, you're right!  METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST AND MAIDEN DIDN'T GET A FRIGGING BOOST!  Gee, I wonder why?  Maybe because.... well..... I don't know..... they were..... ALREADY METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST AND IRON MAIDEN?

Great point.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
Kind of a weird thread........I highly doubt DT is thinking anything like this. 

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »

wat
Just kidding.