Author Topic: 6:00  (Read 9724 times)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 6:00
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
All i know is that I'm planning to set an alarm with this song at 6:00 on a Christmas morning... This Christmas morning.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
You'll be jolted awake by the octoban fill, just like me every morning  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
I love this song, it opened a 2002 show I saw and sadly I have not heard in concert since. Kevin's lyrics are seem to me to very telling of how he was feeling about being in DT.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
So I was one of the buyers of the DT fanzines being sold in another thread.  One of the fanzines I received was printed just after the release of Awake.  There's some good tidbits about "6:00."  Read below.  I was really surprised to read that Kevin pretty much wrote the whole song, according to JP.

Regarding "6:00":

Petrucci: It was one that Kev wrote. He pretty much wrote the whole thing. We fucked around with the choruses a bit and the ending of the song, but the majority of the arrangement and all the parts, Kev wrote. What else? That was probably Mike's hardest drum song.

Regarding the samples on "6:00":

Petrucci: That's something that's in Kev and Mike's heads. If you think that's interesting you should hear the types of demo's that Kev was doing, all based on samples. Really techno and industrial, that was his whole head, the way he was going and why he's not in the band anymore. You hear it all on "Space-Dye Vest," sample and stuff all over the place.

Regarding the "6:00 on a Christmas morning" sample:

LaBrie: I think I know what Kevin was pertaining to. Basically what that lyrical content is, what he's doing with it is; is somebody finding out what they are doing isn't necessarily where they want to be. If you don't take life by the reins and chase after something you love and need to do to carry on, then life will just pass you by. Basically what that's pertaining to, the way it starts out, it's 6 o'clock and this guy doesn't want to get up 'cos he has to go to work, in a more literal sense this is what is going on. He finds himself outside of work, sitting in his car, he can't get out of the car to go into work because he just does not want to do this anymore. It's like 6 o'clock on a Christmas morning; are you getting up for the right reasons? Is it for Christmas or is it for work?

Petrucci: Yeah, that's exactly what it was. It was from a story, I don't know which, how there was this conflict with the character, getting up for Christmas and sort of losing the meaning and interest of it.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:31 AM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline theGonz

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 12:40:25 AM »
I know all about the honor of God Mary Jane!

Awesome track
*epic instrumental section*

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
6:00 was the first Dream Theater song I heard and it was what got me hooked.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »
I say we fill this thread with pics of ourselves posing in front of the TV at 6:00 on Xmas morning in front of a news show that has the date and time on the screen.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ronrule

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
6:00 was the first Dream Theater song I heard and it was what got me hooked.

Ditto. Got the album from BMG CD club solely on the basis of Wild Stringdom columns and Guitar World awards.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »
I was really surprised to read that Kevin pretty much wrote the whole song, according to JP.

Ah, the good ole of days of multiple, full-songwriters demoing and then choosing only the best for the album! (And this goes for pretty much every band I love)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
Love this song, near the top of the list of songs I wish they'd put back in their setlist rotation.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
Really love this song. Actually it's the only song on the album worth listening to, imo.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »
Great song, I love the keyboard parts.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »
Agreed. Love the song very much. It was really different compared to Images and Words and nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much.

The sampling was awesome as was the lyrics and keyboard solo. A really strong opener and I actually prefer it over some of their songs from Awake. Really good song once more and cleverly written.

I'm happy Dream theater made and makes extremely strong and catchy songs.

:tup :tup :tup :tup
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
Love the "agreed" 4 years later.  :lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »
:metal

4 years later, it's so true!
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton