Author Topic: Falling Into Infinity Demos  (Read 13735 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Falling Into Infinity Demos
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
Here's another one who doesn't like his singing on LITS. It annoys me every time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
Hahaha I wouldn’t call him an SOB, and I don’t know anything about King’s X other than one song that made it big a long, long time ago (Black Flag?) but I hate his vocals on this song, The crappy choruses overwhelm whatever genius might otherwise exist on this song. The first step in DT's periodic downward spiral in trying to sound like something other than themselves.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
Hahaha I wouldn’t call him an SOB, and I don’t know anything about King’s X other than one song that made it big a long, long time ago (Black Flag?) but I hate his vocals on this song, The crappy choruses overwhelm whatever genius might otherwise exist on this song. The first step in DT's periodic downward spiral in trying to sound like something other than themselves.

Having a guest singer in the chorus means they were trying to sounds like something other than themselves?  Sorry, but that just doesn't make a lot of sense.  If you don't like Doug Pinnick's vocal contribution, that is one thing, but saying what you just said is another.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
Hi Kev, I might have spoken out of line, apologies if so. But I recall that JP or someone in the band wanted a specific type of vocals for that song that were not in line with James' natural delivery. So they called in Pinnick. Someone please clarify or correct me if necessary.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
Doug Pinnick gives the song that extra gospel feeling. The whole song has that feeling of being in a gospel church.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
And silly me for wanting it to have the feel of a rock song   :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Been a while since I heard it.  Have to give it another spin soon.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
Since this is the "Falling Into Infinity Demos" thread, it's probably worth noting that Doug Pinnick does not sing backing vocals on the demo version of LitS. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
Since this is the "Falling Into Infinity Demos" thread, it's probably worth noting that Doug Pinnick does not sing backing vocals on the demo version of LitS. 

The verse they removed made that whole section flow better
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »
Lines in the Sand is DT's best song, besides SDOIT

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »
Lines in the Sand is DT's best song, besides SDOIT

It wouldn't make my top 5, but I do believe it placed in my top 10 when we had the thread recently. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
I happen to like Falling into Infinity as it is and its slick semi-AOR sound, so these demos are more of a very interesting document to me than a better alternative to the album. But it's so cool to have twice the amount of songs... Plus that "Metropolis Pt. 2" live rehearsal is such a gem!

It's truly amazing to have this official bootleg series, I don't think there are many other bands that offered so much insight in their history and process.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »
I would have liked Lines In The Sand to have had that last verse in the final version though.

I'd have preferred it without the guy from King's X screaming all ove the chorus.
Noooo! He's brill.

I'm so repulsed by the song just cause of it's chorus, last time I heard that song was at least 6 years ago. I don't care who's singing there but the s.o.b is so annoying.

I don't think I've ever met anyone before who didn't like Doug Pinnick's singing.  You are a strange, strange man.

Put me in that category; the guest vocals ruin that song for me, honestly.  I don't care for that "gospel-y" type singing by anyone, and I don't particularly like it here.   

As a general rule, I listen to the FII demos far more than the original album (though I like both), primarily because a) the guest vocals, b) Raise The Knife, and c) my favorite DT song of all time, Cover My Eyes. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 06:43:42 AM »
Tastes are tastes, and everybody's are different.  But I think that you are the only person I've ever encountered whose favorite DT song is Cover My Eyes.

Especially the version on the demos.  I think the more interesting version is the live one on 5YIAL.  But again, tastes.

:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »
Hey people, I've been listening to the demos for a while now, but I still couldn't make the last verse in LITS out. Does anyone know what the lyrics exactly are?

Thanks in advance!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »
Tastes are tastes, and everybody's are different.  But I think that you are the only person I've ever encountered whose favorite DT song is Cover My Eyes.

Especially the version on the demos.  I think the more interesting version is the live one on 5YIAL.  But again, tastes.

I actually hear you, since it isn't really all that indicative of the things I like most about DT (the more DT sounds like Yes and Iron Maiden jamming together, the better) but for whatever reason that song just strikes a massive chord with me.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
That's cool.  You never know what will click with people.

One of my favorites is Eve, which a large portion of the fanbase ignores completely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »

One of my favorites is Eve, which a large portion of the fanbase ignores completely.

Eve has always been one of my favorite Dream Theater songs.  I actually put it on repeat when I'm trying to focus on writing - it's extremely thought-producing and mind-focusing. 

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 02:57:21 PM »

Eve is amazing. Beautiful song.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »
Hey people, I've been listening to the demos for a while now, but I still couldn't make the last verse in LITS out. Does anyone know what the lyrics exactly are?

Thanks in advance!

I asked this James in '98 and he couldn't recall off the top of his head.  I asked JP in 2000 and he told me (I think I recall) (edited):

"Baptized, enlightened
Surrounded and frightened
I'm blind to the lines in the sand"

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:07:30 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »

Thanks in advance!

I asked this James in '98 and he couldn't recall off the top of his head.  I asked JP in 2000 and he told me (I think I recall):

"Baptized and righteous
Surrounded and frightened
I'm blind to the lines in the sane"

Oh those sound good and interesting, thanks a lot again! :)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »
Yeah, it had me curious for years when I first heard the song in '96 and on subsequent unofficial bootlegs in '97.  (oh, and I fixed a typo)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »
I think it is "baptized, enlightened" actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »

That actually makes more sense logically speaking.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
I think the more interesting version is the live one on 5YIAL.  But again, tastes.

While the acoustic rendition of the song certainly works, I think the best versions were the ones on the Six Degrees tour. They kinda beefed it up with the small 'CME jam' towards the end, and there's a few extra doodley bits from JP and MP goes a bit crazy aswell. The extra bulk kinda makes it feel more like a standard DT song (whatever that means) as opposed to the version of the demo which qualifies as one of DTs shortest songs.

I swear I had a CD with this version somewhere but I just had a look and have no clue what I remember hearing it from. But I found a vid on youtube that sounds like it might be similar to the the one I remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOWKyFDMxb4

EDIT: I assumed that 5YIAL version is the acoustic one? So what's this? "Five Days in a LIVETime bootleg" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBP4L0kK_q8 Got a much 'busier' solo from JP on this one, exactly what the song was missing IMO.  ;D Still don't think it's the one I remember though, it seems like there's subtle differences on each version and this one the guitar solo is a reference to something familiar that I can't pinpoint, some kind of classical tune? Can't put my finger on it. :lol
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:33:52 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »

oh yeah-- 100% correct.  (fixed)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:08:01 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
It's surprising how much of the demo for Metropolis 2 was used on the album. Really shows how great Derek is.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2015, 12:43:16 AM »
I was just listening to the FII Demos in my car.  I really enjoy the Metropolis 2 demo.  Some of the parts are really good that did NOT make it to the finished product though.  So that means Metropolis 2 should have been longer.   :biggrin:

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 04:29:31 AM »
I have the demos too. I bought them as the FII demos were the ones I was most curious about.

I think they're a great thing to have but in all honesty, I believe every change for the songs that made it on to the final album was for the better. The only head scratcher for me is why Raise the Knife was discarded in favour of songs like Hollow Years, Burning my Soul and You Not Me. That's just my opinion though!

Also, seems like I'm in a minority but the Metropolis Part II demo is terrible. It does come across to me as exactly what it is - an audio rough sketch of ideas to listen back to. I'm sure it was JP who said he thought it was one of the worst demos they ever put together. I've only listened to it a couple of times. It lacks focus but again, it is just a demo.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
Also, seems like I'm in a minority but the Metropolis Part II demo is terrible. It does come across to me as exactly what it is - an audio rough sketch of ideas to listen back to. I'm sure it was JP who said he thought it was one of the worst demos they ever put together. I've only listened to it a couple of times. It lacks focus but again, it is just a demo.
I'm not sure that's a minority position.  It DOES sound terrible and unfocused.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »
It's not even far enough along to be a demo, it's a jam on some early ideas, many of which aren't even on the album. It's a curiosity, not something you can really listen to more than once or twice.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 08:04:46 AM »
It's completely random and it doesn't flow but that was part of the reason MP was so hesitant to release it in any form to the fans.  Though, I will say I do have somewhere in my mess of CDs another Metropolis 2 demo that was given to me by a friend of mine years ago. It's not the same exact one.  The older one I have is shorter and there are a couple of different parts in it.  Again, it's really raw.  I like that though. I like hearing the process at  work and seeing the different phases the song went through. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »

I think Eve is great but for the longest time, I never knew it existed until I got the New York City 3/4/93 bootleg.  Other than that, I think it's only available on youtube.  So, I think it is mostly an unknown track.  Once people know it exists, then I think it would be difficult to ignore.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
It's completely random and it doesn't flow but that was part of the reason MP was so hesitant to release it in any form to the fans.  Though, I will say I do have somewhere in my mess of CDs another Metropolis 2 demo that was given to me by a friend of mine years ago. It's not the same exact one.  The older one I have is shorter and there are a couple of different parts in it.  Again, it's really raw.  I like that though. I like hearing the process at  work and seeing the different phases the song went through. 

Totally agree with that.

If memory serves, isn't 90% of the demo made up of the main ideas for Overture, TDoE and one last time?

I do think it's pretty cool that out of a bunch of thrown together ideas that lasts 25 odd minutes, they managed to create one of their most coherent and consistent albums.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »

Totally agree with that.

If memory serves, isn't 90% of the demo made up of the main ideas for Overture, TDoE and one last time?

I do think it's pretty cool that out of a bunch of thrown together ideas that lasts 25 odd minutes, they managed to create one of their most coherent and consistent albums.

I believe there are also parts of Strange Deja Vu.