Author Topic: SOPA/"Protect IP" Act  (Read 25421 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: SOPA/"Protect IP" Act
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:56 PM »

This definitely brought a smile to my face.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »
Me too.  I love Office Space.

Offline Hprog

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
I can totally imagine Lars Ulrich supporting this Act.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
They've lost three more sponsors over the blackouts.  One senator and two representatives.  Harry Reid is under quite a bit of pressure, as well.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2012/01/sopa-blackout-sopa-and-pipa-lose-three-co-sponsors-in-congress.html
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
Looks like a lot of people on Facebook are finally aware of the bill. This actually does a great job of spreading the news.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
Apparently an alternative draft has already been written. Still doesn't sit well with me.

https://censorshipinamerica.com/2011/12/10/internet-censorship-the-good-and-the-bad-of-the-new-open-bill-from-wyden-and-issa/

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
Lots of people on Facebook (myself included) have made this (or something similar) their profile pic.

I'm not putting it on facebook, it's funny when your native language is Spanish  :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
DOWN WITH SOUP PIPES
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
If only people were as passionate against the Patriot Act and NDAA.

Offline jsem

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
The thing is, there's big money/interests on the right side this time. Google, Amazon, Wikimedia.

Against Patriot Act/NDAA, there's no money on the other side. There's no lobby groups trying to fight against it with legalized bribery.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/sopa-livesand-mpaa-calls-protests-an-abuse-of-power.ars

Right.  Because backing the bill by pumping money into congress because you can't adapt to a changing world isn't an abuse of power, but peaceful protesting of legislation that could destroy the first amendment on the Internet is.  Okay. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
Former Senator Dodd is such a piece of shit.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
DEVIL'S ADVOCATE MODE: ENGAGED

Well, two things come to mind here....

1. Google DOES make a shit-load of money from ads on sites that serve up pirated stuff.  That is a fact.

2. The DNS blocking portion of the bill, the thing that everyone was supposedly most upset about, has been removed.

So, if we all agree that internet piracy is a bad thing (because we all agree on that, right?  :) ) And if we all agree that it should be stopped, and if the language in the bill that most people were up in arms about has been removed from the bill, then what has everyone chosen as their new rationale for being against the bill?

Be honest:  How many of you have actually taken the time to READ THE BILL?

It's 78 pages long, and some of it is pretty dense with the language of lawyers, but I have personally read the entire thing.  Frankly, the majority of the opposition that I've read here and elsewhere seems like fairly uninformed hyperbole.

Something tells me that no matter what kind of law they try to write, if it's going to interfere with people continuing to download (and not pay for) music, movies and games, the reaction is going to be the same. 

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE MODE: DISENGAGED

edited: took out specifically named websites from which Google earns money from ads.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:10:03 AM by kirksnosehair »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/sopa-livesand-mpaa-calls-protests-an-abuse-of-power.ars

Right.  Because backing the bill by pumping money into congress because you can't adapt to a changing world isn't an abuse of power, but peaceful protesting of legislation that could destroy the first amendment on the Internet is.  Okay.

I mean technically, he's right; the reason the protest has become so widespread is because you have bigwigs that disseminate information about it so easily, and have the money to do so.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »
1. Google DOES make a shit-load of money from ads on sites like The Pirate Bay and RapidShare, etc.  That is a fact.

Huh? Just checking it now, TPB runs ads through Z5X, not Adsense, and Rapidshare doesn't even have ads.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:02:52 PM by Sigz »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

I mean technically, he's right; the reason the protest has become so widespread is because you have bigwigs that disseminate information about it so easily, and have the money to do so.

It's about time moneyed interests are actually on the right side of an important issue.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
1. Google DOES make a shit-load of money from ads on sites like The Pirate Bay and RapidShare, etc.  That is a fact.

Huh? Just checking it now, TPB runs ads through Z5X, not Adsense, and Rapidshare doesn't even have ads.

ETC. <--see that 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
I'm sorry, but that seems like justifying saying, "Lots of animals can fly, like cats, dogs, etc."

And that made me laugh.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
Seems that it needs emphasis.......

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
I'm just saying, it's easy to say "oh all these sites use Adsense", but the major players don't, and if you go to most of the torrent/seedier websites, they're not using it either. That's not to say Google doesn't have a moneyed interest in the matter, but I have a hard time believing it's a very large factor.

2. The DNS blocking portion of the bill, the thing that everyone was supposedly most upset about, has been removed.

Even without that, you still have search engine blacklisting, ad refusal, and payment embargo from US customers. All of those are obscenely heavy handed actions given the vague definitions of what qualifies.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
Seems that it needs emphasis.......

I hate that something like this needs to be pointed out.  I used to get in really stupid arguments here because I would argue a point counter to what I believe,  To me, a discussion is about arguing for any and all sides, how else can you understand your own opinions fully?

Ah.... /support /rant?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
What's the point in posting argument points if no one's going to discuss them? Just because you're playing devil's advocate doesn't mean there's nothing to be gained by discussing it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
It's a way to analyze your own stance, a way to solidify arguments.  It helps you take an abstract look into what other people might be thinking, which can help you understand their points.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »
READ THE BILL?

Thank you.  I asked for this thirty replies ago. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »

I was basically coming in to to post this.

Everyone on the internet is upset about a bill that won't be signed into law. Menawhile, during the same period people are getting their panties in a bunch. Obama signs the bill which basically does away with the right of habeus corpus if you're considered a terrorist. 

I mean, it's just boggling.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
Terrorists bother me. Pre-teens pirating high school musical don't.

Offline Diewithyourbootson

« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
Here is a good vid from Khan Academy explaining SOPA
https://youtu.be/tzqMoOk9NWc
6DoiT is well worth the not-money you didn't pay.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
Terrorists bother me. Pre-teens pirating high school musical don't.

Ya, becuase that's the only kind of piracy that occurs on line...

There's far more pirates than there are terrorists - and we have our reason why!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
I completely agree with Scheavo, this one girl talked with me and she just kept ranting on and on about how bad this was, and I just kept telling her "It won't get passed", her response was always WHAT IF IT DOES THOUGH, IT'LL BE AGAINST OUR RIGHTS RAGHHHHHHHH.
And for an update, Senator Thune came to Madison, SD for a town hall meeting to talk about it, and said he will not support it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Everyone on the internet is upset about a bill that won't be signed into law. Menawhile, during the same period people are getting their panties in a bunch. Obama signs the bill which basically does away with the right of habeus corpus if you're considered a terrorist. 

I think I've established my hard-on for civil liberties issues in this forum by now, but I still think it's a good thing that Internetters are rallying against this. Would I rather this amount of attention be aimed toward something like that? Of course! But I'm still happy to see what's happening now.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
Shit.

Just.

Got.

Real.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
Love how so many idiots think SOPA would just straight up block everything on the internet.  I mean I'm against SOPA but god damn people, learn what it actually does.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »

I think I've established my hard-on for civil liberties issues in this forum by now, but I still think it's a good thing that Internetters are rallying against this. Would I rather this amount of attention be aimed toward something like that? Of course! But I'm still happy to see what's happening now.

All that's happening are a bunch of people are trying to protect something they like, for selfish reasons. No one thinks they're a terrorist, or could ever be labeled a terrorist, so they don't give a shit. It has nothing to do with principle. If it was due to principle, these websites would have done the same thing when Obama signed the defense bill

Btw, I'm not describing you, but the general attitude of the masses, are seen by the reaction to SOPA/PIPA and the reaction to the NDAA/Patriot Act, etc. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
I agree with your assertions that a principled approach would be far more beneficial and that these mega-sites have clear business reasons to oppose SOPA/PIPA.

I still think what's happened is pretty good, though.