Author Topic: How about this for once.. thoughts about JP.  (Read 5615 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: How about this for once.. thoughts about JP.
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 03:37:15 AM »
Let's also not forget to mention that JP is in fact, the man. :metal
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
Let's also not forget to mention that JP is in fact, the man. :metal

I give JP a lot of credit for rarely making mistakes throughout their extremely long and challenging songs

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
I always find his Endless Sacrifice solos to be questionable live. The ones on LaB, for example, seem to have a lot of flat notes in there. Don't think I've heard a live version in which he satisfactorily replicates the studio solos.

Other than that, though, I'm always astonished at how much the man's able to pull off.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »
To quote Lost Not Forgotten: "I am not immortal, I am just a man"
DT songs are very technical and it's amazing how JP manages to pull off so many of them live but it's also natural to make some mistakes.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
it sometimes boggles my mind how he messes up certain parts of solos but on Live at Budakan he tears through the stream of consciousness solo with like 0 mistakes and that by no means is an easy solo.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 07:18:16 AM »
I noticed that some of his solos tend to save certain songs that aren't that good.  Especially on the new album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 09:45:32 AM »
I noticed that some of his solos tend to save certain songs that aren't that good.  Especially on the new album.

I completely agree with that statement. I always feel he writes for the song and when he does write a solo he tries to take you on a journey and make each part interesting while combining technique, solid note choice and soul depending on what song.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »

I'm sorry, I don't really get what you mean. If you mean his solos make songs on ADTOE worthwhile, I'll have to completely disagree with you. Apart from the instrumental section of BAI, none of the solos on the new album are that memorable for me. It's the whole song and songwriting that counts for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't really get what you mean. If you mean his solos make songs on ADTOE worthwhile, I'll have to completely disagree with you. Apart from the instrumental section of BAI, none of the solos on the new album are that memorable for me. It's the whole song and songwriting that counts for me.

Well, it's different for everyone.  With the new album, it's isn't "whole" songs for me.  It's "parts" of songs.  For example, I don't really care for BAI but JP's solo is epic.  Same goes for The Best of Times on BC&SL.  I don't like the song that much but the outro is awesome.  Also, Repentance is saved by the JP solo.  Otherwise, I'd probably never listen to it again.  That's basically what I meant.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »

Only BAI? I think the LNF solo is one of the best JP has ever come up with. Mainly for that one jazzy part.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 03:08:36 AM »

Only BAI? I think the LNF solo is one of the best JP has ever come up with. Mainly for that one jazzy part.

Love the LNF solo but I am also a sucker for the Shattered Fortress solo. I think it is overlooked by the fans.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »

Love the LNF solo but I am also a sucker for the Shattered Fortress solo. I think it is overlooked by the fans.

I would have to agree with you, the shattered fortress solo is definitely great in a mediocre song IMO