Author Topic: Tempest (Leif Sorbye) Thread  (Read 2748 times)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tempest (Leif Sorbye) Thread
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »
Any Tempest fans out there? Discussion of the band here. I couldn't find a thread, and I'm sure they would get appreciation here.  :hat
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:45:19 PM by WindMaster »
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Tempest Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
Wow. I'm surprised no one has posted here. I'm sure some of you like them...

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
Sorry your thread isn't going well. I have Turn of the Wheel, and although some of the music is good, I feel they need a more charismatic vocalist (yes, I realize it's essentially his band).
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:12:30 PM »
Sorry your thread isn't going well. I have Turn of the Wheel, and although some of the music is good, I feel they need a more charismatic vocalist (yes, I realize it's essentially his band).

I feel like his voice really fits the band well, but different people have different opinions.  :)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »

I don't really see the band being about charisma. They are really pretty low key and really have a lot of fun at gigs.

Tempest is really kind of fusion band. They are difficult to label really.

Their studio work is pretty good, but where they really shine is live where they can jam, stretch out and show off their musical chops.

I've seen them at least once a year since Turn of The Wheel came out. That's when I became aware of them although they had four albums out before that one.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
I would see them more, but they hardly come to my state.  >:(

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »
A question mostly for ytserush: after listening to the double-cross as my first (and only, so far) Tempest album, which do you recommend? (I own the Double-Cross)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
Windmaster - The Tempest thread

lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
I have a few albums by them. I liked the idea of celtic prog when it was described to me, but honestly, while I like the instrumentals, the singer irritates me and I find most of the songs way too corny for my taste. That, and none of the albums really have their own personal flavor. It just sounds like the same music over and over, every album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
A question mostly for ytserush: after listening to the double-cross as my first (and only, so far) Tempest album, which do you recommend? (I own the Double-Cross)

I'm always partial to live stuff (but I'm like that with a lot of bands I like).

Live at the Philadelphia Folk Festival is a pretty good one. But it's from 1999 and might be out of print. I also like the 15th anniversary box that has a great mix of songs.

There is also the Magna Carta staple called Prime Cuts which is a compilation, but in this case it comes with a DVD that features a lot of live performances.

Their most recent album is called Another Dawn.

I hope this helps...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »
Man I'm such a 70s rock nerd that when I think of Tempest I think of the band with some of the guys from Colosseum and Alan Holdsworth.  :lol Completely forgot about this Tempest.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »

I'm always partial to live stuff (but I'm like that with a lot of bands I like).

Live at the Philadelphia Folk Festival is a pretty good one. But it's from 1999 and might be out of print. I also like the 15th anniversary box that has a great mix of songs.

There is also the Magna Carta staple called Prime Cuts which is a compilation, but in this case it comes with a DVD that features a lot of live performances.

I hope this helps...

I was thinking about the Prime Cuts CD because it has a lot of songs I don't have and the DVD is a definite bonus.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »

I hope this helps...

I was thinking about the Prime Cuts CD because it has a lot of songs I don't have and the DVD is a definite bonus.

Prime Cuts is kind of the Magna Carta years compilation. There are older albums which may not be available now, but I don't listen them as much as  the more recent and the live stuff.

I noticed you changed the title of the thread. Since you did that you should be aware of a side project called Caliban which consists of Lief Sorbye and Michael Mullen (the fiddle player) which is a little more in the folk/celtic vein.  I've only got one Caliban CD and they never make it out east when they tour. I think Caliban only plays live mostly in California.

Jaq:

Man I'm such a 70s rock nerd that when I think of Tempest I think of the band with some of the guys from Colosseum and Alan Holdsworth.   Completely forgot about this Tempest.

Not surprising. It is confusing. I'd love to check out some of that one of these days since I'm a fan of Holdsworth (That's not really fusion though is it?)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tempest (Leif Sorbye) Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
I changed the title after I read Jaq's post to clarify what tempest we are talking about.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:08:32 PM by WindMaster »

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »

I hope this helps...

Prime Cuts is kind of the Magna Carta years compilation. There are older albums which may not be available now, but I don't listen them as much as  the more recent and the live stuff.

I noticed you changed the title of the thread. Since you did that you should be aware of a side project called Caliban which consists of Lief Sorbye and Michael Mullen (the fiddle player) which is a little more in the folk/celtic vein.  I've only got one Caliban CD and they never make it out east when they tour. I think Caliban only plays live mostly in California.

I just listened to Caliban (the first album, I guess) and I love it. Apparently there is also a German deathcore band of the same name. So by default, the caliban CD on iTunes got a ton of crappy reviews from german Caliban fans saying "What is this crap?!" Some of them even said it was funny.

I've lost any kind of respect I might have had for deathcore fans.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
From Leif Sorbye's facebook:

For Immediate Release

Tempest Internet Concert March 10th 2012

2/1/2012 – Modesto, CA – Celtic rockers Tempest will be in concert, live, interactive, in real time and brought directly to your home computer screen via their new UStream channel “TEMPEST-LIVE” on March 10th, 2012 (7:00 PM PST / 10:00 PM EST).

The group will perform songs from their latest release “Another Dawn” CD including the single “Let’s Live For Today” as well as material from their previous CDs.

Multiple cameras and high end pro audio, staging and lighting will put you right in the center of the action while you view the show on your own computer, virtually anywhere in the world! The chat feature allows audience member to actually talk with each other in real time, as the concert is being watched, making it a unique and totally shared interactive experience for the viewer!

Tickets are ordered directly from the TEMPEST-LIVE UStream channel using PayPal at https://www.ustream.tv/channel/tempest-live . Anyone who misses the show in real time can at any point purchase a ticket and watch it at their own convenience. Tickets are $10 if ordered before the show airs, and $15 after, so secure your ticket today.

A limited digital download of the concert will also be available for $25. If you are local to the Modesto area and would like to be part of the studio audience, your seat is FREE with the purchase of the digital download. Those wishing to purchase the digital download should go to PayPal at www.paypal.com and using the “send money’ tab, send $25 to live@wcslonline.com . if you do not have a PayPal account, set up is easy and takes less than ten minutes. You will be emailed a receipt for the download and an admission ticket to the event within a few days of payment. Seats are limited and will be issued on a first come first serve basis. Simply state in your PayPal payment that you are requesting a seat. If you are requesting a seat you MUST state that on your PayPal payment. Download instructions will be emailed to you within 30 days following the concert.

For more information: www.tempestmusic.com and www.wcslonline.com

Coolness.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »
From Leif Sorbye's facebook:

For Immediate Release

Tempest Internet Concert March 10th 2012

2/1/2012 – Modesto, CA – Celtic rockers Tempest will be in concert, live, interactive, in real time and brought directly to your home computer screen via their new UStream channel “TEMPEST-LIVE” on March 10th, 2012 (7:00 PM PST / 10:00 PM EST).

The group will perform songs from their latest release “Another Dawn” CD including the single “Let’s Live For Today” as well as material from their previous CDs.

Multiple cameras and high end pro audio, staging and lighting will put you right in the center of the action while you view the show on your own computer, virtually anywhere in the world! The chat feature allows audience member to actually talk with each other in real time, as the concert is being watched, making it a unique and totally shared interactive experience for the viewer!

Tickets are ordered directly from the TEMPEST-LIVE UStream channel using PayPal at https://www.ustream.tv/channel/tempest-live . Anyone who misses the show in real time can at any point purchase a ticket and watch it at their own convenience. Tickets are $10 if ordered before the show airs, and $15 after, so secure your ticket today.

A limited digital download of the concert will also be available for $25. If you are local to the Modesto area and would like to be part of the studio audience, your seat is FREE with the purchase of the digital download. Those wishing to purchase the digital download should go to PayPal at www.paypal.com and using the “send money’ tab, send $25 to live@wcslonline.com . if you do not have a PayPal account, set up is easy and takes less than ten minutes. You will be emailed a receipt for the download and an admission ticket to the event within a few days of payment. Seats are limited and will be issued on a first come first serve basis. Simply state in your PayPal payment that you are requesting a seat. If you are requesting a seat you MUST state that on your PayPal payment. Download instructions will be emailed to you within 30 days following the concert.

For more information: www.tempestmusic.com and www.wcslonline.com

Coolness.

Yeah, I got that email.
I'm not sure how I personally feel about this. For someone who can't make a show it's probably a good idea.
I definately try to tune in if it were free. The chat thing is pretty cool although I'd probably be enjoying the show rather than trying to chat.

The whole experience for me is about being there and enjoying it that way.  Seems like a cool idea if others want to pay to enjoy a show that way.

Transatlantic is doing something silimar to this except that that show in Tilburg has already been released and I don't need to pay for something I already have.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
I'm thinking about buying the download of the show after so I can watch it any time. That would be nice.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »
I'm thinking about buying the download of the show after so I can watch it any time. That would be nice.

If they released the DVD with artwork and liner notes I'd likely buy it.