Author Topic: Overused/Misleading Advertising Buzzwords  (Read 18225 times)

Offline Beowulf

Re: Overused/Misleading Advertising Buzzwords
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
When they list "artificial and natural flavors", WTF?!  :censored   If they're naturally occuring flavors, why would you need to add it?
You honestly believe the term "natural flavor" implies that the flavor in question occurs in the product without anything added? They take a product that by itself is bland then add commercial flavoring to it to make the product have the particular flavor they want.

And if you already have natural flavors, why would you need to dilute the natural goodness with artificial flavors?
Because they found that combining the two flavor additives made the product taste better and therefore sell better?

And what exactly do they add for those flavors?  Are they purely chemical?
Natural flavors are obtained by taking a natural product then extracting out a major component of it that gives the thing its flavor. An example that could be seen as a "natural flavor" is using vanilla extract instead of vanilla beans.

Artificial flavors are just chemicals created to create a certain flavor. Although many artificial flavors are chemicals that are identical to the extracts obtained in natural flavorings.

Thanks for the clarification, Sly.  But I think you're taking it a bit too literal.  I was shooting for a bit of sarcasm.  Apparently I missed.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
I got the sarcasm. I just figured behind the sarcasm, you generally agreed with the ideas you were giving.

Offline Millais

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »
"revolutionary"

or simply:
"this changes everything"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
I think that's just Apple.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
Terms like "HEPA filter" and "HEPA-style filter" for vacuums and other, similar products.

1) HEPA-style is meaningless as HEPA certification is based on the performance of the filter. They don't give 2 shits how you made the filter as long as it filters out stuff down to the specified size.

2) HEPA filters themselves aren't entirely useful, because to be truly effective the product needs to be fully sealed so that all the air goes through the filter itself without leaking past/around it to the outside. Like a roomba with a HEPA filter would be boarder on useless because it has so many areas where the dust can get blown to the outside and the filter itself being filtering smaller particles would be a problem for the smallish motor used in the machine...

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
And does anyone even know what "savory" means?
In my business, savory is the opposite of sweet.  It applies to food applications that aren't dessert, or at least that's how I use it when menu writing.
Thank you for clearing that up. I was hoping it had an actual meaning.

I read somewhere it's an actual taste, cant' remember it's name right now... but basically, the natural form of SMG. It's also found in tomatoes and mushrooms, which is why those two things make such amazing things.

Yeah, you're thinking of umami, it's the fifth taste, along with sweet, sour, bitter, and salty, and is also described as savoriness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Ya that's it, for some reason I don't remember being tought that one in school... and wow, I just noticed SMG instead of MSG.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
I've been noticing "IIHS Top Safety Pick" in a bunch of different car commercials lately, like we're supposed to know or even care what the IIHS is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
Anything to do with cats = " PURR-FECT '

Anything to do with Space Travel = " OUT OF THIS WORLD "

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
I've been noticing "IIHS Top Safety Pick" in a bunch of different car commercials lately, like we're supposed to know or even care what the IIHS is.

:lol Totally.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »
"revolutionary"

or simply:
"this changes everything"

I think that's just Apple.

I believe it is, but they do it every single time they release anything.  :\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »
Heard today: "Proven track record". Completely meaningless.

The last one is the sad basis of almost all credit card defaults. It seems people really think they're saving something when they spend $950 instead of $1000.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2011, 04:36:58 AM »
Or they get a coupon for $10 off any purchase of $50 or more.  They only needed to spend $30, so they spend another $20 just to get the discount. 

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
95% of men over the age of 35 have low testosterone. - Lie.
And it's not just due to aging - Misleading (it's a natural process that occurs with aging; hence why it primarily starts with men ~40 years old).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
'Space Age Technology"

What does this mean?? First satellite launched in 1957(?), first man in space a couple years later. Haven't we essentially been in the 'space age' for half a century?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
60% of the time it works Every Time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »
"life time guarantee"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »
95% of men over the age of 35 have low testosterone. - Lie.
And it's not just due to aging - Misleading (it's a natural process that occurs with aging; hence why it primarily starts with men ~40 years old).

That's weird.  I had to take testosterone gel packs when I was in my early 30's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
That's weird.  I had to take testosterone gel packs when I was in my early 30's.
The conditions that an individual have are not indicative of the conditions the average person that age has. You had low testosterone in your early 30's... but that doesn't mean that 95% of men had clinically significant reductions by age 36 (nor that by that age, did 95% see the numbers begin to decline).

And it depends on how they're counting "95% of men over 35 years." At best it's misleading to tell a 35-40 year-old they might need testosterone supplementation while using data that includes frail 95-year olds who's pituitary gland has stopped working altogether.

[OT]They've shown that professional boxers, kickboxers, and some football players have extremely low levels of it, most likely due to head injuries affecting the pituitary. Crazy stuff.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
... and wow, I just noticed SMG instead of MSG.

Oh, you mean you weren't referring to the natural form of Sarah Michelle Gellar?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
"life time guarantee"

In Other Words - we guarantee it will work until it breaks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »
Or they get a coupon for $10 off any purchase of $50 or more.  They only needed to spend $30, so they spend another $20 just to get the discount. 

Well...that depends. I go to Winn-Dixie for groceries and they always have these $5 off any purchase of $55 or more coupons. I don't always buy that much in one shot. But sometimes if I can plan ahead to do so I'll use that coupon. It just means less trips to the store and more food at my place when that happens. It's a good deal if you plan it right, and it's not hard to plan right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »
The "3% Cash Back!" card from Bank of America amuses me. I've never seen people in a commercial so excited that they got 50 cents back on their gas purchase. They're probably betting on the fact that people don't realize how small 1 to 3% really is.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
The "3% Cash Back!" card from Bank of America amuses me. I've never seen people in a commercial so excited that they got 50 cents back on their gas purchase. They're probably betting on the fact that people don't realize how small 1 to 3% really is.
Somebody at my school either worked for or was trying to get referrals to their apartment complex and posted on a bulletin board that this place was giving a 3% student discount. I was sitting there going "Oh... because 5% was just too pricey!" And there were plenty of complexes with better rates regardless of a discount (and were in better neighborhoods to boot).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 08:54:10 PM »
Heard some new ones on the radio:

"freshly cracked Grade A eggs" - McDonalds
"handspun wings" - Buffalo Wild Wings

Handspun is kind of amusing since it made me think "as opposed to what previous method of breading wings?"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2013, 06:04:48 AM »
Heard some new ones on the radio:

"freshly cracked Grade A eggs" - McDonalds
"handspun wings" - Buffalo Wild Wings

Handspun is kind of amusing since it made me think "as opposed to what previous method of breading wings?"

Those are great! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
Melty is another word that needs to stop.

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
There are a lot of things marketed as low fat/no fat which really aren't. For example, a few days ago at the store I saw this. But if you look at the back, a full half of the calories are coming from fat.

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
This:

https://www.asseenontv.com/detail.php?p=449755&pa=sli

I wonder whether you see at 720P or 1080P.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:30:12 PM by ishak540m »

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 02:42:34 AM »
This:

https://www.asseenontv.com/detail.php?p=449755&pa=sli

I wonder whether you see at 720P or 1080P.   :facepalm:
Crest makes a variety of "3D" whitening toothpastes and strips.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 03:27:56 AM »
There are a lot of things marketed as low fat/no fat which really aren't. For example, a few days ago at the store I saw this. But if you look at the back, a full half of the calories are coming from fat.
I think what you're failing to grasp is that a "Low Fat Vodka Sauce" doesn't mean it has to itself have little-to-no fat. It just means that, compared to your normal Vodka Sauces, it has less fat.

And in looking at a grouping of Vodka Sauces on the market that don't have any claim of low fat, I found 1 with a lower amount of fat and the rest all having significantly more (the average had a LOT more and a few with closer to a 50% increase to it). And so, if you're comparing it to a normal, everyday Vodka Sauce, it's a low-fat variety actually.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
"Reduced fat" would be a more accurate description in that case though, since "reduced" is a comparative compared to "low's" implication of an absolute measure.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »
Digging this back up because I'm really curious as to what the ingredients of this new ghost pepper sauce Wendy's is trying to sell. Wendy's pretty much runs the bullshit buzzword fast food trends but this one irks me more than usual especially due to the fact that real restaurants usually make you sign waivers to eat ghost pepper infused food and here Wendy's is trying to sell an extremely mislabeled product just for wow factor.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »

My guess is that it's real ghost pepper mixed in with a bunch of mild peppers. It's probably like 2% ghost pepper.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
If that's the case then they should name it whatever the majority pepper/heat ingredient is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
Maybe you could not eat a burger with 98% ghost peppers.  Your ass would never be the same.