Author Topic: Why Do People Go So Crazy on Their Birthday?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Why Do People Go So Crazy on Their Birthday?
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:44:44 AM »
Two nights ago (a Wednesday) I was over at my girlfriend's place, and it was her roommate's birthday. Her roommate had a test the next day worth 30% of her final grade, but instead of studying for it decided to stay up all night partying. She ended up failing the test horribly.

This phenomena - people celebrating on their birthday even if it screws them over - is really common. Most of my friends and other people I know have done it at least once.

My question is: Why do people get so excited about their birthday that they prioritizing celebrating it over everything else in their lives, even if doing so totally fucks them over in the long run? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: Why Do People Go So Crazy on Their Birthday?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
I-M-M-A-T-U-R-I-T-Y...That spells Immaturity, and it is common among young people and is characterized by doing stupid, silly, and irresponsible things like...partying until the wee hours of dawn just because it's your birthday, even though you might have other responsibilities that would make a more seasoned, responsible and mature individual not behave similarly.   

The More You Know!!!  :)

:biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
I've noticed this too, especially with my younger sister.  I think it's just an attention thing.  Lots of people like things to be all about them, and your birthday is a day that is sort of all about you so they roll with that and use it as an excuse to make a spectacle.  Birthdays are fun and cool and all, I like treating myself to a small gift and maybe a meal out, but making a big deal about your birthday to me is something that should stop at around age 10-11.  I tried to explain to my sister that nobody gives a shit that "omg she turned 26 this year so crazy what a big deal wooooo" but she just got mad :dunno:

On a side note, once your'e a grown-ass person I can see getting a little more excited about milestone birthdays like 21 (cuz you can get your Vegas on), 30, 40, 50, etc., but that's about it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
There are many reasons.  The idea of it being a day of attention-getting didn't even occur to me.  I just feel like nowadays there are plenty of things to bring you down, and not that many things to celebrate.  Your birthday is the one day that's literally about you, at least partly.  Doing something special on your birthday harkens back to when you were a kid and it was all about you.

These days, I don't go nuts on my birthday, but there's a tradition in my family where we go out to dinner, and the birthday person chooses the place.  If we can afford it, we go.  That makes it special, everyone has a good time and some good food, and there's no danger of alcohol poisoning or failing a test the next day, because that's just stupid.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:00:23 AM »
Last year at work, I tried to cover up my birthday. I really didn't want to make a big deal about it. I work in an on-campus department full of very social people, and I knew they would try to throw me a party and give me presents and stuff, and I didn't want that. It makes me feel uncomfortable. Well, at some point around noon one of my coworkers found out and told everyone. They were all super pissed at me for not telling them. Now don't get me wrong; I like birthdays, and I don't have any problem with people telling me happy birthday and leaving it at that. That's fine. But even after I told all my coworkers I didn't want them to make a big deal about it, they STILL managed to put together a small party before the end of the day. I think people just feel a sense of obligation to treat birthdays as if they're sacred when they really aren't.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
^It's like saying God bless you when someone sneezes. Just such a common cultural thing that many people can't NOT feel obliged to do something for the other person.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »
I just sneezed four times in a row and none of you insensitive pricks said anything. :'(

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »
Oh sorry, the good spirit in you is leaving GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL FOUR TIMES OVER

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:37:44 AM »
Oh sorry, the good spirit in you is leaving GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL FOUR TIMES OVER

Thanks, been a fucking snot sprinkler all morning.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
Lonestar: DTF's most eloquent fogey.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with celebrating birthdays, hell every once in a while you need a break from all the shittyness of life. But that doesn't give you reason to completely fuck your life over, I mean seriously. Plus if you have a party of some sort schedule it for a date where you have nothing important the next day.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
My birthday has a bad habit of falling on or around finals and paper due-dates.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
I don't think I've actually celebrated my birthday since I was like nine. It's just another day, mang.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
I haven't celebrated my birthday in a long time.  Usually I celebrate by going to work and cutting a check to the county for my property tax.   The county collects all taxes on Dec. 5, I just got unlucky.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
I don't think I've actually celebrated my birthday since I was like nine. It's just another day, mang.

Recently they've been falling on yearly camping trips so I'm really happy. Yeah I don't need all that craziness never understood it.  My friend usually bakes me a cake and maybe get a red envelope because I'm Asian. Just another day, make it as chill as possible.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 12:34:22 AM »
People are always looking for an excuse to go nuts and have a party/drunken get-together, and this seems to be an excuse. I'm not complainin.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 01:28:10 AM »
Today's my birthday and I'm not expecting any special treatment, nor am I going to act any different.

If I don't have a birthday thread I'm going to scream!!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 01:44:32 AM »
Today's my birthday and I'm not expecting any special treatment, nor am I going to act any different.

If I don't have a birthday thread I'm going to scream!!!!

Happy now?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 09:01:53 AM »
Birthdays absolutely get worse the older you get. Past 20 people just use it as an HILARIOUS excuse to make poke fun and go LOL YOURE GOING TO DIE SOON OL OL  :tdwn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
I like to celebrate my birthday with family and cake.

I can drink anytime.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »
17-year-old here, and I haven't really treated my birthday as anything or had a party for it since I was 12.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
Last year I did get kinda wrecked, but it was my 18th but it was only a few drinks with my dad.

Nowadays, we celebrate everything. Hell, we have a pissup every tuesday to celebrate it being the end of the week!