Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 266932 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #2520 on: October 26, 2016, 07:40:33 AM »
I'm going to pick this up in about 6 months. Sure I'll get it for $30-$40 by then.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2521 on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:08 AM »
I'm going to pick this up in about 6 months. Sure I'll get it for $30-$40 by then.

You can get it for $47 on Friday if you're an Amazon Prime member.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2522 on: October 26, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »

You can get it for $47 on Friday if you're an Amazon Prime member.

I know and I thought about it but I won't be able to play it until at least June. Games drop is price so fast now that it's worth waiting unless you're playing on release day.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2523 on: October 26, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
It is so fucking amazing that it's a free upgrade to the remaster if you already have all the expansions. I've had them for so long and haven't played the game in ages. Then I randomly hear about this and...boop, it's in my games and pre-loaded. That is just the tits right there, good on them for having that extra boost in love for the fan base. Can't wait to delve back into this addiction tomorrow at midnight (I hope, either way I'll be up late enough to play it when it unlocks).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:11 PM »
It's cool that I have it for free, but considering all the mods I have already, I'm not sure how worthwhile it's going to be to play.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2525 on: October 27, 2016, 12:30:51 AM »
I thought that at first too, but the core makes a difference; mods merely build on what's already there and while there is a massive amount of leeway to that truth, there's always a limit without remaking the game. Therein lies my excitement, because there's going to be mods (probably sooner than later) built off of the remaster, and then...ohhh then it's going to be a party. But even so, I'm the kind of gamer that will always prefer the vanilla game when it comes to mere graphics. Add-ons to gameplay or just fun zany shit, sure, bring 'em on; but graphical mods always left me feeling a bit icky for some reason. Mostly that the majority of them are wonky at the very best (course, exceptions here and there).

RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2526 on: October 27, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »
I'd be more concerned about the long list of bugs that will no doubt pop up. I'm kind of new to this, but has Bethesda ever released a game that actually worked out of the box? There are game crippling bugs that they never did fix for vanilla Skyrim and it's been six years. On my most recent playthrough I couldn't finish the companions quest line or the vampire path of Dawnguard because missions wouldn't work. The only reason I could finish DB was because of the unofficial patch fixing what B wouldn't. I guess I just wouldn't be in a hurry to start the thing anew with a rewrite that will introduce all new bugs.

As for the graphical improvements, between CoT and the various weather mods and realistic water two, it's plenty good enough for me. I suppose if they increased the draw limit to something insane it'd be cool, but that's about it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2527 on: October 27, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
Hrm..I can't say in the thousands of hours I've ever encountered a game crippling glitch. At least not one that was quest related. I mean, if I've got tens of mods on and am flying through mountains, yeah the game will crash now and then but nothing in the vanilla version. I remember hearing about some when the game first came out but I didn't know they were still around.

RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: October 27, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
Hrm..I can't say in the thousands of hours I've ever encountered a game crippling glitch.

For the most part I agree, even on release I had no issues with any Bethesda game that would be game crippling.  I did however see some errors that would cause issues occasionally on these games, but not widespread enough to cause alarm (and it was mostly on Fallout 3 and Fallout NV that I experienced these, not on Skyrim or Fallout 4).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2529 on: October 27, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »
IN my case it's the Forever Mourning Glitch with the Companions and the Moth Priest Glitch in Dawnguard. None of the recommended fixes would work. I might try again someday with the werewolf thing, but I've already blown off the vampire line altogether. Being a werewolf is loads of fun. Being a vampire sucks wood elf cock. Besides, from my run-through with the Dawngaurd I found the various quests pretty boring.

To be fair, I've played a ton of Skyrim and these were the only quest-killing glitches I've encountered, and I've completed the Companions line before with no problems. Still, I don't think anybody can deny that Bethesda releases games with tons of bugs in them that take a while to get resolved (if ever).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: October 27, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »
Sadly, it seems to be the norm now.  I personally can't single out Bethesda when I see it from every company and usually worse than my experiences with Bethesda.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: October 27, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »
It's definitely a problem. Not unique to Bethesda, but it's been very consistent with them, even back to Morrowind, which is one of my favorite games of all-time, but certainly has its issues. Fallout has definitely seemed worse in that regard than The Elder Scrolls for me, though.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: October 27, 2016, 04:06:04 PM »
There are a few mods up from those that had access to the beta, but make sure the creator has actually confirmed compatibility with the game. The most essential mod is up (Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch), which contains most of the bugfixes unaddressed by Bethesda (though not all, as EB can attest).

Looks like the main selling point for the PC version is a higher base level to build mods on. You're moving from 32-bit DX9 to 64-bit DX11 which removes a lot of constraints. The mod content will grow with time, and with compatible save files it's really just a matter of whether Skyrim.exe or SkryimSE.exe gives you what you're looking for.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: October 27, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
My remaster just unlocked. Time to replay this masterpiece

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2534 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:29 AM »
Wow, the Special Edition has just appeared in my Steam library ready for installing. They really couldn't have made it easier to upgrade, that's damn cool.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2535 on: October 28, 2016, 04:31:38 AM »
Yea I also just noticed the SE in my steam library. Since I only played one character in Skyrim, it might be time to switch to something new and start a new chapter.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2536 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Wow, the Special Edition has just appeared in my Steam library ready for installing. They really couldn't have made it easier to upgrade, that's damn cool.

Yea it's awesome, you really notice when you get past the prologue.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2537 on: October 28, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »
This wait is killing me. Skyrim Remaster has been sitting alone and neglected all day in my mailbox. It's cold outside. Poor thing.  :'(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2538 on: October 28, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »
Yea I also just noticed the SE in my steam library. Since I only played one character in Skyrim, it might be time to switch to something new and start a new chapter.
I think everybody creates the same character. Half sword and board and half mage. Magic is too underpowered to work alone and thief only works with good archery/one-handed skill. I did play through strictly as a mage, and it's really only good with some mods to normalize destruction spells and add sneak bonuses to them. That said, a 120 point fireball with sneak attack bonus damage is an awful lot of fun to throw into a crowd.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2539 on: October 28, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »
Yea that's true. My long haired and bearded Viking from the North mostly ignored magic and talked with his sword instead. He's usually the blueprint for all the characters I create in fantasy games.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2540 on: October 28, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »
I think everybody creates the same character. Half sword and board and half mage. Magic is too underpowered to work alone and thief only works with good archery/one-handed skill. I did play through strictly as a mage, and it's really only good with some mods to normalize destruction spells and add sneak bonuses to them. That said, a 120 point fireball with sneak attack bonus damage is an awful lot of fun to throw into a crowd.

Not me. I play stealth archer chick with no armor unless it further enhances my archery abilities.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: October 28, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »

This was essentially my character as well (minus the mods).  I felt the magic was too weak to base a character 100% on although it would have been cool, plus I like killing this with swords and whatnot.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: October 28, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
My character is first and foremost an absolute tank (though I maxed out light armor first), but he also has good sneak ability since I always enjoy doing the Thieves Guild and assassination quest lines in these games. Plus just enough restoration to be useful. I've only been messing around with more magic as a way to actually level up my character at this point.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2543 on: October 28, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
Started my new life as a female Imperial, feels good to be back in Skyrim. Haven't played the game in ages it feels like and remembering everything I did with my last character, I have a long long road ahead. After playing Witcher 3, the game does feel a bit dated which isn't a surprise since it pretty much felt like that when it released also, however the upgrade is noticable even though I haven't played in a long time.
I got reminded pretty quickly how important the soundtrack was in creating that special magic and adventure feel, it brought back some nostalgic moments.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2544 on: October 29, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
I love Skyrim, but I can't believe this money grab actually worked.  If you got it free, awesome.  But it's not like the game is that old.  I could see redoing one the the first three (Morrowind would be insta-buy for me), and Oblivion since that is now 10 years old.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: October 29, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
I love Skyrim, but I can't believe this money grab actually worked.  If you got it free, awesome.  But it's not like the game is that old.  I could see redoing one the the first three (Morrowind would be insta-buy for me), and Oblivion since that is now 10 years old.
Agreed. I'm glad I have it for free, because down the line, it will probably improve the replay experience. But it's not anything exciting to me. Morrowind would have me giddy.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2546 on: October 29, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
The remaster was worth every cent to me. I'll argue that Madden and COD are more of a cash grab than this remaster.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: October 29, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
For console players who haven't had access to the countless mods PC players have, it probably is worth it. But I've already been rolling with higher resolution, improved lighting, a far better UI, and other random little touches like improved book covers for some time. And if no one creates the SkyUI mod for the special edition (I'm sure someone will eventually), I'm never going to play it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2548 on: October 31, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »
My thing is that I sold off my PS3 way back when as I didn't play it much. Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption were my two biggest losses in that deal. I'm thrilled to have this again. With the enhanced graphics, faster loading times, included DLC, and mod support, I think it was well worth the $47 I paid.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2549 on: October 31, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
I'm with Chino, love having the special edition.

Yes, there is nothing spectacularly new, but we knew that going in. It's not like anyone was tricked into buying this. And they gave a very good reason for WHY Skyrim got the remaster. Basically, it was easier to do, and the work it would have taken to do this with an older game was equal or greater than just making a new Elder Scrolls game, and if they were going to put that work in, it's going to be for a new game.

Base improvements are cool, with better graphics and WAY better load times. That makes zooming around the world a lot easier, and everything just seems to flow quicker and with less hiccups. Mods for the PS4 are unfortunately limited, but that doesn't mean that there aren't already lots of cool mods, some of which I've loaded and used, and others that I haven't really experienced yet. I'm trying to keep the game as realistic or more so, keeping away from mods that make the game easier. I love just generally useful mods like putting more/better street signs on the roads, taking clouds off the overview map, and adding lore to the loading screens.

So yeah, enjoying and definitely worth it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2550 on: October 31, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »

Yes, there is nothing spectacularly new, but we knew that going in. It's not like anyone was tricked into buying this. And they gave a very good reason for WHY Skyrim got the remaster. Basically, it was easier to do, and the work it would have taken to do this with an older game was equal or greater than just making a new Elder Scrolls game, and if they were going to put that work in, it's going to be for a new game.

I've also read that Bethesda built a lot of stuff on top of the original Skyrim in order to proof next (current) gen for Fallout 4. By modding Skyrim for the new consoles, it made developing Fallout 4 a significantly easier effort. It'd make sense for them as a company to not want to just throw that work away if people would be happily willing to buy it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: October 31, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »

I've also read that Bethesda built a lot of stuff on top of the original Skyrim in order to proof next (current) gen for Fallout 4. By modding Skyrim for the new consoles, it made developing Fallout 4 a significantly easier effort. It'd make sense for them as a company to not want to just throw that work away if people would be happily willing to buy it.

If that is true, then maybe that is why Fallout 4 felt so "previous generation" with it's graphics.  They were good, but not good enough for AAA new game.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2552 on: November 07, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »
Anyone experiencing frequent crashes? I've had my game crash at least a dozen times yesterday and finally just gave up trying to get any further. I'm trying to help the three people in Winterhold, and the first guy needs me to take out an ice dragon on top of the mountain (forgot the name). No matter how I approach the quest, the second one of my arrows hits the dragon, the game crashes and I have to restart.

Same thing was happening the other day when I'd trigger one of the Dwarven traps. Eventually it just worked, but it's still incredibly frustrating.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: November 07, 2016, 10:00:32 AM »
I'd be more concerned about the long list of bugs that will no doubt pop up.

Sucks man, must be ridiculously frustrating.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2554 on: November 07, 2016, 12:27:11 PM »
That sucks man and I know the frustration. Haven't happened in Skyrim but I had a similar problem in Fallout 4, for some reason the game just kept on crashing during one quest at the point I had to cheat to get past that part in the quest. Never figured out what it was. I did get stuck in a quest in Skyrim but it never crashed, I just couldn't continue the quest.  :-\