Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564408 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Well... Mat just posted about finishing up the new Jorn album.  So, unlikely to be him to pen any new Allen/Lande.

Quote from: Mat Sinner on FB
Mission completed! Very happy about the new JORN album and being a part of it. Great songs, great lyrics, killer voice & vibe! News & details coming soon!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh God no for Martensson   :lol

Just bypass all the hacks and get Romeo on board for Symphony Allen/Lande.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Well... Mat just posted about finishing up the new Jorn album.  So, unlikely to be him to pen any new Allen/Lande.

Quote from: Mat Sinner on FB
Mission completed! Very happy about the new JORN album and being a part of it. Great songs, great lyrics, killer voice & vibe! News & details coming soon!

Wow, hopefully he's added a bit of energy to Jorn's formula.

Oh God no for Martensson   :lol

Just bypass all the hacks and get Romeo on board for Symphony Allen/Lande.

Tolkki or Martensson, take your pick.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't even listen to the last one but , all things equal (and Tolkki somewhere on Planet Earth mentally) I would say Tolkki is far more capable of writing music of the style needed here.   

But yeah - ideally neither.   Magnus' writing is as much a signature of this project as the two singers - unless it's him I may not bother this time either.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't even listen to the last one but , all things equal (and Tolkki somewhere on Planet Earth mentally) I would say Tolkki is far more capable of writing music of the style needed here.   

But yeah - ideally neither.   Magnus' writing is as much a signature of this project as the two singers - unless it's him I may not bother this time either.

I absolutely agree with this.  If Tolkki was at the top of his game, for the singers he would leave Martensson for dead, but as we know it just hasn't been the case.

I too will be pissed if it's anyone else besides Magnus.  The three of them just worked so damn well.

Where does Magnus rate for you Brent, just overall, in terms of his projects, songwriting, playing etc?

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Where does Magnus rate for you Brent, just overall, in terms of his projects, songwriting, playing etc?

I rate him highly - I maybe don't rate Last Tribe and Freefall as high as you (although still enjoyable) - but I think the Allen/Lande stuff is clearly his best work....those first couple.   I think in the end he did a bit of a Gary Hughes and got involved in too many things at once and diluted down his best work across too many albums/projects for a while there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I rate him highly - I maybe don't rate Last Tribe and Freefall as high as you (although still enjoyable) - but I think the Allen/Lande stuff is clearly his best work....those first couple.   I think in the end he did a bit of a Gary Hughes and got involved in too many things at once and diluted down his best work across too many albums/projects for a while there.

Even though he's a top tier songwriter and guitarist for me, I would agree, the last Kiske/Somerville album showed that he is human and spreading himself too thin.  The Bob Catley, Codex, Tony O'Hora etc. are all brilliant, but not Last Tribe or Allen/Lande quality.  I think he's getting back to some great stuff now just focusing on Primal Fear and Freefall though, and I'm really looking forward to this new Ferryman project with Ronnie whatshisname.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ronnie Romero.

Yeah, very much looking forward to that one.

For me, Freefall and Allen/Lande are god-tier.  Everything else after that is between A and A-.  Planet Alliance is excellent - helps I'm a big Mike Andersson fanboi.  Uber-thanks to Kade for putting me on to all of his stuff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Ronnie Romero.

For me, Freefall and Allen/Lande are god-tier.  Everything else after that is between A and A-.  Planet Alliance is excellent - helps I'm a big Mike Andersson fanboi.  Uber-thanks to Kade for putting me on to all of his stuff.

Me too. And yes, the Somerville Kiske was a bit of a shocker in an otherwise excellent catalogue. But I'm not a fan of Kiske's voice to start with. Starbreaker too of course  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ronnie Romero.

:tup

Ronnie Romero.

Me too. And yes, the Somerville Kiske was a bit of a shocker in an otherwise excellent catalogue. But I'm not a fan of Kiske's voice to start with. Starbreaker too of course  :biggrin:

I'm listening to the second Kiske/Somerville album this morning.  It's a good album, just you can tell Magnus did an Martensson and just threw something together cause he had too.  Starbreaker is excellent Paul.  The second one is so much different but still great.  The debut is fucking where it's at though.  I'd almost rate that one as high as Allen/Lande.

I pretty much like everything he has done though.  ;D

Offline Lowdz

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
 :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ha don't mess with Kiske!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
New Harem Scarem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkFPM24l-ZE

Solid.  Typical.  Unspectacular.

It's still an instant buy for me.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Harem Scarem:

Yeah - nothing too exciting but at least the riff has a bit of it's own thing going and the production sounds spot on.    I was a massive fan back in the day but haven't bought anything since Weight Of The World.  FOr me they became inconsistent from Big Bang Theory onward - thought that album sucked - and I haven't been as interested in new material since.   Will get this one.........get the feeling it'll be pretty good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think its pretty solid too.  Riff is cool.

Offline Lowdz

New Harem Scarem:

Yeah - nothing too exciting but at least the riff has a bit of it's own thing going and the production sounds spot on.    I was a massive fan back in the day but haven't bought anything since Weight Of The World.  FOr me they became inconsistent from Big Bang Theory onward - thought that album sucked - and I haven't been as interested in new material since.   Will get this one.........get the feeling it'll be pretty good.

WOTW was my first HS album so I didn't have the whole Mood Swings thing to compare it to. I enjoyed WOTW and loved the next two. Then I went back and got the first two which are most excellent. Nothing they did in the period between MS and WOTW did anything for me at all.
The last three or so have been ok but very much to the formula of WOTW onwards.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's all just forget that their period from Mood Swings to WOTW.  Everything in there is pretty shite.  And I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Rubber years.  That load should've been kept in a rubber.   :lol

Overload was a bit of a blip, but everything else has been solid since 2002.  Thirteen was a pretty good one Brent.  I recommend spinning it when you have a free 45 minutes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nothing new from that Harem Scarem at all, but damn that chrous is fantastic.  A definite purchase for me.  Thirteen was a great short melodic rock record.  Every song was pretty strong and they didn't load it with filler.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I may have streamed Thirteen - all very competent stuff but to me they seem to be writing a bit more according to a formula these days compared to the brilliance of early material.  I don't underestimate the difficulty of keeping things fresh over a long period of time with songwriting but I think they became a bit too comfortable with their process and to me a lot of the more recent songs blur into one another.  Sounds familiar.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I may have streamed Thirteen - all very competent stuff but to me they seem to be writing a bit more according to a formula these days compared to the brilliance of early material.  I don't underestimate the difficulty of keeping things fresh over a long period of time with songwriting but I think they became a bit too comfortable with their process and to me a lot of the more recent songs blur into one another.  Sounds familiar.

Pretty much.

Offline Lowdz

There is a formula certainly. Don't bore us, get to the chorus approach.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Even though they are sticking to a bit of a formula, they still have enough of a unique sound that's it's not your typical Frontiers rehash style stuff and still very enjoyable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'm just waiting for more from The Magnificent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm just waiting for more from The Magnificent.

Fuck yeah, melodic rock done right.  What a great album that is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I need to get that one. I didn't bother with it at the time, but listening back to a song recently, I realized it was really good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I need to get that one. I didn't bother with it at the time, but listening back to a song recently, I realized it was really good.

It's a gem.  you'd definitely like it Blob.

Offline Lowdz

Even though they are sticking to a bit of a formula, they still have enough of a unique sound that's it's not your typical Frontiers rehash style stuff and still very enjoyable.

True. They have their own sound. You instantly know it's them.

Edit - just listened to the song. It's not setting my 🌎  on fire.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I have an actual contribution to the thread. And it hurts my fingers to even type it.

The fact that the new Place Vendome isn't that great should not be news. Their debut was fantastic, but they are one big tease. It's not the fact that the songs are not great, they aren't, but that isn't the problem with this album. The rrrr...the rea.... the real... the real prob... the real proble...

The real problem is Kiske. There I said it. He is terrible on this. He is singing like he has zero interest in this. Like he's fulfilling an obligation. There are a couple of tunes where he is totally into it, like Riding The Ghost, The Title track, and Breathless. But everything else is like he emailed them his first take, and Dennis Ward accepted it. His performance is generally lifeless and extremely disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:55:19 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :omg:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Jebus Christ!  Next thing you know, he'll be praising Midnight Driver of a Love Machine.  :lol

Although (and this is totally sincere), I commend you for putting aside your fanboi-ism to listen to something for what it is... not what you want it to be.   :tup

Offline Lowdz

This is worth a listen. Singer,/main man is Tony Mitchell from Kiss Of The Gypsy, a local band to me back in the day. In fact I first saw them on a photo shoot whilst I was walking the dog years ago. Only realised that when I saw the photo in Kerrang a little while later.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Next thing you know, he'll be praising Midnight Driver of a Love Machine.  :lol

Whatever the hell that is! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't even had a listen to the Place Vendome yet.