Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564407 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4480 on: December 08, 2016, 05:38:52 AM »
I'm on a roll at the moment with glowing melodic rock reviews  :hat    So here's another.   Just catching up on a lot of stuff that I missed earlier in the year and another one that the melrock community were having kittens over was a band called Amboaje.

Finished listening to it a couple of hours ago and now that I've woken up I can tell you it's a snoozefest.  :)    The way things are tracking there ain't going to be much melodic hard rock in the Best of 2016 podcast.   The metal has been so much stronger.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4481 on: December 08, 2016, 05:47:05 AM »
Haven't heard of that one either. There's nothing in the melodic rock genre that's been a keeper for me this year. Every other year this decade has managed at least something I still enjoy listening to. There have been some good songs here and there, but no really solid albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4482 on: December 08, 2016, 05:59:33 AM »
Never heard of them. I don't go to melodicrock.com anymore.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4483 on: December 08, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »

I rarely do either now, which is a shame because I've known (and liked) Andrew for longer than the site has existed = >20 years.   Lots of fanboys for him who still insist the site is the best thing since sliced bread, but in reality it's now just a glorified promo site for his record label.   Most of those releases are pretty ordinary too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4484 on: December 08, 2016, 06:25:22 AM »
The occasional newsbit on mr.com is nice but on the whole this site isn't for me anymore.

Some time ago Andrew talked about changing the site up to make it more interesting and less promo but nothing has happened and probably never will.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4485 on: December 08, 2016, 10:21:47 AM »

I rarely do either now, which is a shame because I've known (and liked) Andrew for longer than the site has existed = >20 years.   Lots of fanboys for him who still insist the site is the best thing since sliced bread, but in reality it's now just a glorified promo site for his record label.   Most of those releases are pretty ordinary too.

Ah, there's that Aussie use of ordinary to mean shite. Whenever you use it I hear Shane Wayne's voice  :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4486 on: December 08, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »
Not much from me in the melodic rock side of things for 2016 either.  I think the Sunstorm would be the highlight, but that borders on the verge of hard rock anyway.  Vega was solid but I'm a fan and the Ted Poley was surprisingly good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4487 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »
   The way things are tracking there ain't going to be much melodic hard rock in the Best of 2016 podcast.   

...and it was so prevalent for the 1988 podcast! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4488 on: December 08, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »
I believe that in some tiny nation somewhere that the first four Winger albums were re-released as remasters in 2016 - there's your top four   :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4489 on: December 09, 2016, 01:23:43 AM »
I believe that in some tiny nation somewhere that the first four Winger albums were re-released as remasters in 2016 - there's your top four   :metal

;D

And this just in, especially for Tim: Kip Winger got a grammy nomination  :metal

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/7604039/kip-winger-classical-grammy-nomination-2016
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #4490 on: December 09, 2016, 03:28:27 AM »
Wow, a grammy nomination, but deserved for a fantastic album.
His last solo work (From the Moon to the Sun / 2008) indicated something like that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4491 on: December 09, 2016, 04:31:44 AM »
Didn't even know he did an album like that this year.  Good on him, well deserved, a brilliant and IMO underrated musician.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4492 on: December 14, 2016, 02:14:59 AM »
New project from Ted Poles from Danger Danger and Steve Brown from Trixter. Pretty usual Frontiers fare but I like the song and have a soft spot for Poley's voice for this stuff.

https://radi.al/TokyoMotorFist

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4493 on: December 15, 2016, 04:31:00 AM »
New project from Ted Poles from Danger Danger and Steve Brown from Trixter. Pretty usual Frontiers fare but I like the song and have a soft spot for Poley's voice for this stuff.

That was alright.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4494 on: December 15, 2016, 04:39:51 AM »
New Unruly Child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPGesAGjVQ

New Pride of Lions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3gEIRD2uYQ

Pretty fucking crap on both counts.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4495 on: December 15, 2016, 06:20:30 AM »

That was alright.

Dumbass band name but I suppose at least it isn't Silent Signal or something :lol

I listened on crappy speakers , but even so I get the feeling it's an awful production.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4497 on: December 15, 2016, 07:01:19 AM »
I liked the PoL better than the first track we heard and Toby sounds great , as does the production, but yeah...........same old , same old.    The Unruly Child (in the context of a wimpy single) isn't too bad IMO - the sound isn't too far removed from their classic debut so I won't write the new album off based on that.   I'm not sure at Mark/Marcie's age that it's going to rock much but that voice is still there which is a surprise in itself :lol

I think I'd take both of these tracks over the Place Vendome  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4498 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
I agree with all the above

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4499 on: December 15, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
I listened to that Place Vendome song again, and it's really quite bad.  Jani L wrote it and what he did with the last Cain's Offering and Strato was good so not sure what's going on here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4500 on: December 15, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
I listened to that Place Vendome song one more time too, just to make sure I heard things right the first time.  I'll agree with Wolf, its really quite bad.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4501 on: December 16, 2016, 04:40:37 AM »
New Lionville, which could be mistaken for Work of Art;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nafc04EeXsc

I like this a lot.  Nothing new, but nice sound and great vocals as usual.  Robert Sall must have written this though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4502 on: December 16, 2016, 04:47:43 AM »
I skipped right past that video the other day when it popped up, and just my luck it happens to be one of the better ones. I probably got it confused with that Pride of Lions shit. :lol
I agree with you, nothing particularly new, but definitely better than average, with good production and vocals. I'll check out the album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4503 on: December 16, 2016, 04:48:08 AM »

I like this a lot.  Nothing new, but nice sound and great vocals as usual.  Robert Sall must have written this though.

Sounds like another variation on a Place Vendome riff :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4504 on: December 16, 2016, 04:49:31 AM »

I'm pretty sure it had been around for 20 years before they ever got to their variation on it. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4505 on: December 16, 2016, 04:49:57 AM »

Except more original.  :lol

I skipped right past that video the other day when it popped up, and just my luck it happens to be one of the better ones. I probably got it confused with that Pride of Lions shit. :lol
I agree with you, nothing particularly new, but definitely better than average, with good production and vocals. I'll check out the album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4506 on: December 16, 2016, 04:53:20 AM »
To be fair it's a good effort for anyone from Work of Art to sound like anything but the one Work of Art song  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4507 on: December 16, 2016, 04:59:52 AM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4508 on: December 16, 2016, 09:37:42 PM »
looks like a couple of boobs to me

I guess that makes Witchcraft the cleavage
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4509 on: December 18, 2016, 04:15:58 AM »
 :metal

Love that diagram.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Another song from that new Poley project;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3pyYMK1SnM

Besides the generic verse riff that has been used a zillion times, this is actually some pretty cool melodic rock.  I'll definitely check this album out for sure.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure about it........generic as hell (aside from the band name which I suppose is different :lol ) and , although it's hard to tell from YT , the production sounds a mess.  Will certainly check it out due to the guys involved but I have a feeling it'll be a one spin wonder for me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

New Place Vendome too. I like this one though still not loving the Elvis impersonation in the lower ranges. Here it's only a couple of lines.

https://youtu.be/X6HEA3_uU4w

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tokyo Motor Fist - Listenable, not an album I'm inclined to check out though.

Place Vendom - Pretty cool until those awful vocals come in.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Place Vendome too. I like this one though still not loving the Elvis impersonation in the lower ranges. Here it's only a couple of lines.

https://youtu.be/X6HEA3_uU4w

A few less Oreos in his gob this time but he still sounds weird at the start.  The song develops into something pretty decent - enough to keep me cautiously interested I suppose.

www.theguitardojo.com.au