Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564285 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4445 on: November 08, 2016, 05:04:36 AM »
I haven't properly heard any Giant (checked them out at some point, but can't remember). I like Brock's voice too, and I like the style of this project, but the songwriting was the big letdown for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4446 on: November 08, 2016, 05:08:58 AM »
Gawd Blob - get Last of the Runaways and Time To Burn pronto.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4447 on: November 08, 2016, 05:10:57 AM »
Yeah, Last Of The Runaways and Time To Burn are stellar rock records. Lots of cool songs and stellar guitar work.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4448 on: November 08, 2016, 05:12:19 AM »
Gawd Blob - get Last of the Runaways and Time To Burn pronto.

Just went to check them out on Spotify only to find I already have them saved to my collection on there. :lol This is what happens when I don't download it straight away, I tend to forget about it. But Time to Burn definitely sounds like something I'll enjoy. Gonna download it and give it a proper listen. Last of the Runaways too.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #4449 on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:52 AM »
Time To Burn is an amazing album (I like it much more than LOTR), but Giant III has also stellar moments and it's kind of overlooked and forgotten. It's also the last Giant album with Dan Huff on full duty.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4450 on: November 08, 2016, 07:32:46 AM »
Time To Burn is an amazing album (I like it much more than LOTR), but Giant III has also stellar moments and it's kind of overlooked and forgotten. It's also the last Giant album with Dan Huff on full duty.

III is a good album yeah - mostly just tidied up leftovers , which just shows how good they were.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4451 on: November 08, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
I never got around to listen to III, and then I heard it was mostly leftovers so I wasn't that keen on getting it. If you say it's worth it I might give it a try.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4452 on: November 08, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »
I just subjected myself to the super duper deluxe 17 song Bon Jovi album.   Not as shit as I thought it would be.  65%

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4453 on: November 08, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »

III is a good album yeah - mostly just tidied up leftovers , which just shows how good they were.

It's LotR, III then TTB for me. The non Dan Huff album doesn't exist in my world.

I love the ballad I Can't Let Go on III. Chad hated it in his roulette :biggrin:

I gave the Bon Jovi a go too. Yeah, not terrible and I may play it when I need a softer album (don't tell Ben though Brent, he'll unleash the fuckin fury on me  :biggrin:). I don't have that many soft, bland albums and sometimes you need an album like that

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4454 on: November 08, 2016, 01:23:45 PM »
Just realised LOTR wasn't in my top 50. Big mistake there. Should have been, and pretty high too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4455 on: November 09, 2016, 04:45:59 AM »
I just subjected myself to the super duper deluxe 17 song Bon Jovi album.   Not as shit as I thought it would be.  65%

17 songs, good lord!

Promised Land was the first I actually heard of Giant, so the whole Huff not being involved wasn't a big deal for me in regards to that album.  But going back and discovering the band's discography after that, I can see why the new incarnation shouldn't really be called Giant at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4456 on: November 09, 2016, 05:14:37 AM »
Just realised LOTR wasn't in my top 50. Big mistake there. Should have been, and pretty high too.

Was #29 in mine and could've been higher.

We seem to be the odd ones out with LOTR but to me (although I like the heavier edge of Time To Burn)  it just has that extra touch of class in the songwriting.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4457 on: November 09, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »
Time To Burn is really good but Last Of The Runaways is on another level. Everything on there is just a little bit better.

Saw them live on that tour in 89/90 in a small club and they were killer.

Makes me wonder what Dan Huff is doing these days.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #4458 on: November 09, 2016, 11:15:28 AM »
I believe he's producing Country Rock in Nashville. Stuff like Reba McEntire.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4459 on: November 10, 2016, 05:06:00 AM »
I personally much prefer LOTR.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4460 on: November 10, 2016, 05:06:17 AM »
New Mecca is a snoozefest.  Next!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4461 on: November 10, 2016, 05:18:34 AM »
Not sayin' much but I actually enjoyed the Arnel Pineda solo album more than the Mecca and it's mostly ballads and half of them in Filipino  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4462 on: November 10, 2016, 05:24:55 AM »
Not sayin' much but I actually enjoyed the Arnel Pineda solo album more than the Mecca and it's mostly ballads and half of them in Filipino  ;D

First I've heard of it. Checked out some samples, and besides the aforementioned language barrier, it sounded pretty decent. Gonna grab a copy of that and check it out.
Been listening to Time to Burn all day too. Enjoying it very much, so at least this thread has delivered something good. :hat

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4463 on: November 10, 2016, 05:30:16 AM »
I wish there were a few more tracks like the last (Say Goodbye)............nice melodic rocker.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4464 on: November 10, 2016, 05:33:34 AM »
I like the sound of it from the samples.
I don't know why Journey haven't recorded another album yet. Been 5 years now, and I don't remember hearing anything about them starting on another album. Seems to have been plenty of side projects in the meantime though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4465 on: November 10, 2016, 05:39:54 AM »

A few years back I wouldn't have bothered with it at all , but these days I'm all over anything that doesn't sound like everything else :lol  My appreciation for variety and a few original ideas has gone through the roof.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4466 on: November 10, 2016, 05:41:46 AM »

A few years back I wouldn't have bothered with it at all , but these days I'm all over anything that doesn't sound like everything else :lol  My appreciation for variety and a few original ideas has gone through the roof.

Frontiers makes you appreciate those tiny differences, doesn't it? :lol I guess when it's 99% the same, you gotta latch onto the 1%. :neverusethis:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4467 on: November 10, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
I've had a listen to the Roth Brock (or is the other way around?  :biggrin:) I actually liked it. Far better than the Bon Jovi and as I said earlier, I didn't enjoy the tracks I'd heard on YouTube.
Nothing new, pretty similar paced through but I liked the songs.

Maybe my exile from Frontiers has helped.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4468 on: November 10, 2016, 01:08:34 PM »
Gotta have a listen to that Brock/Roth one then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4469 on: November 10, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »
I actually liked it. Far better than the Bon Jovi

:)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4470 on: November 30, 2016, 04:48:32 AM »
New Pride of Lions;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UzuEQiABK8

which is shit.  I don't know why Jim thinks he should sing when he has Toby.  This though is pretty rubbish.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4471 on: November 30, 2016, 04:50:13 AM »
I heard it yesterday and considered posting it just to bump the thread for us all to bond over how weak it was. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4472 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:37 AM »
I heard it yesterday and considered posting it just to bump the thread for us all to bond over how weak it was. :lol

Uh.......that's, er, pretty much my thinking Blob.  :corn

Seriously though, WTF is this?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4473 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:58 AM »
I don't mind Jim's voice and he's one of the great songwriters but this just sounds stale and the chorus is lametastic.

There's some great material on the PoL discs but at this point they really need to be producing songs that aren't just the same old same old.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4474 on: November 30, 2016, 05:08:54 AM »
I listened to the song and thought it was incredibly bland. :hug:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4475 on: November 30, 2016, 06:00:08 AM »
I made it to the 26 second mark

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4476 on: November 30, 2016, 06:02:59 AM »
Yeah, I got about 30 seconds in and wondered what had happened to Toby's voice  :lol
Sounded shit to me. Hope it's not the best they can do.
Will be a try before considering buying after that

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4477 on: November 30, 2016, 06:58:41 PM »
I don't mind Jim's voice and he's one of the great songwriters but this just sounds stale and the chorus is lametastic.

There's some great material on the PoL discs but at this point they really need to be producing songs that aren't just the same old same old.

The first album is great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4478 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:18 PM »
Just listened to the new one from White Widdow (Aussie band).  They have produced some pretty good melodic rock in the past but the new one is much wimpier than usual and very "by the numbers" - to the point of being pretty awful.  Makes Work of Art sound like Napalm Death.   Rating : don't bother.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4479 on: December 06, 2016, 05:10:29 AM »
That's a shame. They did have a knack for writing some catchy stuff.